Start by marking “The Modern Middle East: A Political History since the First World War” as Want to Read:
The Modern Middle East: A Political History since the First World War

The Modern Middle East: A Political History since the First World War

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  9 reviews
The first succinct and authoritative overview of the making of the modern Middle East, this lucid book brings a valuable mix of historical perspectives and contemporary analysis to a wide audience of readers seeking expert knowledge about this troubled and fascinating region. Giving a rich perspective on the region's historical and political evolution, the book traces the ...more
Published January 31st 2005 by University of California Press (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Modern Middle East, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Modern Middle East

Steven Wedgeworth
Very informative and very helpful. I learned a ton and cried a little. Kamrava does a good job of criticizing Western meddling in the Middle East without being screechy.
Aaron
The title is misleading because @ the beginning of the book he delves into the foundations of Islam and the schism that occurred after Mohammed's death. He briefly touches on the interim period between then and the early 20th century as the title suggests. This is very much a scholarly work and he does a great job of just laying the facts out on the page with little to no opinion on events.
Lizeth
I haven't read many non-fiction books, but these past few months I decided I needed to enter that room and not be afraid. A friend of mine recommended this book and I'm glad I took his advice. It provides a very good and reader-friendly introduction to the Middle East. It doesn't read too much like a history book. In fact, some chapters read more like a short story. I recommend it.
Saman
the analysis in the book is excellent .

the book is an introduction because there are lots of things not mentioned.(although the author apologies for that in the introduction)

and i just felt like he was trying to put so much in the book sometimes it gets chaotic

Tracey Cruickshank
excellent reference point for anyone needing to know what the trues issues are in the middle east. Clear, understandable writing from the beginning of the o ottoman empire to the present. Last few chapters were a bit beyond my scope or interest level but glad I read them.
A.y.
Aug 07, 2014 A.y. added it
Solid history book. I'd actually read it even if it wasn't a textbook for a class. I bought a copy so I can add it to my permanent library, and lend it to others. Good backbone for my future reading on the Middle East and North Africa.
Ben
Lots of interesting information, but presented in a kinda dry standard history book kind of way.
Bill Kyzner
This is being used as a textbook. It is dense, but provides an excellent history.
Philippg
very informative and readable history of the middle east after WW1
Brendon
Brendon marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Travis
Travis marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Janel Iverson
Janel Iverson marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Adam Hubbi
Adam Hubbi is currently reading it
Feb 15, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Mlw
Mlw marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Mamun
Mamun marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Lucy Connell
Lucy Connell is currently reading it
Jan 24, 2015
Melisa
Melisa marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Hamza
Hamza marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Rhonda
Rhonda marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Alina
Alina marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Qatar: Small State, Big Politics The New Voices of Islam: Rethinking Politics and Modernity—A Reader Iran's Intellectual Revolution The International Politics of the Persian Gulf Revolution in Iran: The Roots of Turmoil