Start by marking “The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet: The Lifelong Solution to Yo-Yo Dieting ” as Want to Read:
The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet: The Lifelong Solution to Yo-Yo Dieting

The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet: The Lifelong Solution to Yo-Yo Dieting

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  15 reviews
* After eating a full breakfast, are you hungrier before it's time for lunch, than you would be if you only had time for a cup of coffee?
* Do you have a hard time stopping once you start to eat bread, pasta, or sweets?
* Do you have a tendency to gain weight easily, or if you lose weight, to gain it back again?
If you answered yes to one or more of these questions, you ma
Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Published March 1st 1993 by Signet (first published March 29th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet

Melanie
There was a lot of good information in this book, but I don't buy all of it. It explains a lot about insulin, and how you can get too much of it from eating too many carbs, which will make you think you're hungry (for carbs) when you're really not, and will even hamper your brain's production of seratonin, which is supposed to tell you when you're full. I admit that I still don't understand very much about it, but I understand a lot more than I did before reading this book.

There are some great
Doris Motley
I was on this diet about 15 years ago….I lost 35 pounds, and I had a "club" of ladies wanting to know how did I lose weight and still ate regular food. My club grew to 12 women, and some follow to the letter, and others hopeless. But for me, it was easy, and I stayed on this way of eating for 3 years. I had to get off because, it got too skinny. Thats because I was eating 2 meals after I did the 2 week start. Now I've gained 35+ and decide to do it again. I was hoping there was a modify or updat ...more
Michelle
I heard about this book from a fellow patient at physical therapy and my curiosity was piqued. It has a questionnaire that you take to find out if you are a carb addict. I scored in the severe addict range, big shocker.

The book explains that those who are sensitive to carbs have an excess of insulin released (from eating too many carbs), which makes you think you're hungry (for carbs) when you're really not, and disrupts the production of serotonin, which helps you to feel full and satisfied.

Th
Mandy
Easy to follow, and fairly to the point. The inclusion of participant anecdotes was informative and helpful. I like that the rules are simple and easy to remember. There are lots of useful tools, such as lists of foods to avoid that you wouldn't realize are high in carbohydrates, a sample menu, and a chart for recording and averaging your weight in order to get an accurate portrayal of your weight loss. I appreciated that there was an extensive chapter of potential recipes to use; it makes follo ...more
Hira Noorzai
If you are helpless infront of rice (or any other starch), this book is written for you. All I can say is that in about three months I've lost about 22lbs, and the credit goes to this book. If you realy are a cabo-addict, then this book, coupled with some cardio-vascular is going to do wonders. I recommend a quick read through the whole book the day you get it (!) and then a more detailed review later by highlighting whatever looks useful to you.
Rosslyn
This book really helped me understand why I was having problems losing the amt. of weight I wanted. When I followed the advice given I lost weight rapidly, even from the very beginning. It gives good, sensible advice along with some tasty recipies. If you are serious about this diet then I also recommend getting the additional carbohydrate counter book that lists all the foods and their carb. contents- you'll be surprised what you find out!
Windy
May 27, 2011 Windy added it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I'm reading this to learn more about carbs addiction, not necessarily to find a diet. I truly am a carb addict - I cannot stop at one piece (or even 3) of bread or dessert.

***Update: I've officially given up on this book. It makes a lot of sense, but I have too little willpower and too little desire to actually change my life. I just can't see myself eating salad at breakfast! I need cereal to start my day. ***
Talyn Falls
This book changed the way I see myself as an eater. I have been constantly battling with binge eating and starvation it order to lose weight and obsessing over meals and snacks. I hope this diet will continue helping my cravings stay under control and bring me down to the weight I always wanted to be, but could never wish to reach without killing myself working out 5-7 days a week.
Wanda
The book was a good one at the time. There has been subsequent research in this field that could stand to be updated. I really enjoyed the book at the time I read it, which was some time in 2000 or 2001? I followed the diet on and off for a time, but over time, the low carb lifestyle was difficult to maintain and I have since stopped following this diet.
Nicole Madison
My nurse practitioner recommended this book to me. My blood sugar is a concern (trying to prevent diabetes), so I'm trying to improve my diet. The nurse says this diet works for her and many of her patients, but I know I'd never be able to keep it up. I have to eat fruit whenever I want it! I think it could work well for someone more disciplined.
Saralyn
Feb 19, 2008 Saralyn is currently reading it
I'm not one to suggest a diet, but this isn't a diet. If you're one of those people miserable or starving yourself to lose weight or be healthy... this book is for you. If you don't like it, no harm no foul. It's changed my life, but it doesn't have to be for you. :)
Gayle
Not for me, or for me to recommend either. Spawned many other diets including Bodytrim I reckon. Have a day off your diet and eat McDonalds. That's basically how I saw people doing this diet.

However, I enjoyed reading it.
Sandra
Great book --after I ate it, I still weighed the same. HA!

It teaches you how to eat without craving sugar.

now back to some birthday cake and a mountain dew...
Lisa
Feb 21, 2012 Lisa added it
The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet: The Lifelong Solution to Yo-Yo Dieting (Signet) by Rachael F. Heller (1993)
Charlotte
This diet expects you to go without carbs all say until dinner. Not possible for me.
Jill
Jill added it
Jan 24, 2015
Arah Virtucio
Arah Virtucio marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Kelly Taylor
Kelly Taylor marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Renee Pierre
Renee Pierre marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Jen Jen
Jen Jen marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
  • Thin for Life: 10 Keys to Success from People Who Have Lost Weight and Kept It Off
  • The Complete Book of Food Counts
  • The Perricone Promise: Look Younger, Live Longer in Three Easy Steps
  • The Complete Book of Breastfeeding: Third Edition
  • The Pilates Body: The Ultimate At-Home Guide to Strengthening, Lengthening and Toning Your Body- Without Machines
  • Potatoes Not Prozac
  • Protein Power: The High-Protein/Low-Carbohydrate Way to Lose Weight, Feel Fit, and Boost Your Health--in Just Weeks!
  • Mastering the Zone: The Next Step in Achieving SuperHealth and Permanent Fat Loss
  • A Patient's Guide to PCOS: Understanding--and Reversing--Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
  • Let's Learn Hiragana: First Book of Basic Japanese Writing
  • Richard Hittleman's Yoga: 28 Day Exercise Plan
  • The Ultimate Weight Solution: The 7 Keys to Weight Loss Freedom
  • A Blue Fire
  • Atkins for Life: The Complete Controlled Carb Program for Permanent Weight Loss and Good Health
  • Beyond Jennifer & Jason, Madison & Montana: What to Name Your Baby Now
  • Mythology for Dummies
  • The Mailroom: Hollywood History from the Bottom Up
  • The World's Healthiest Foods: Essential Guide for the Healthiest Way of Eating
The 13th Apostle The Carbohydrate Addict's LifeSpan Program: Personalized Plan for Becoming Slim, Fit, and Healthy in Your 40s, 50s, 60s, and Beyond The Carbohydrate Addict's Cookbook: : 250 All-New Low-Carb Recipes That Will Cut Your Cravings and Keep You Slim for Life The Stress-Eating Cure: Lose Weight with the No-Willpower Solution to Stress-Hunger and Cravings Healthy Selfishness: Getting the Life You Deserve Without the Guilt