Start by marking “The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet: The Lifelong Solution to Yo-Yo Dieting ” as Want to Read:
The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet: The Lifelong Solution to Yo-Yo Dieting

The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet: The Lifelong Solution to Yo-Yo Dieting

The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet: The Lifelong Solution to Yo-Yo Dieting (Signet)
Mass Market Paperback, 322 pages
Published March 1st 1993 by N A L (first published March 29th 1991)

Melanie
Sep 30, 2009 Melanie rated it liked it
There was a lot of good information in this book, but I don't buy all of it. It explains a lot about insulin, and how you can get too much of it from eating too many carbs, which will make you think you're hungry (for carbs) when you're really not, and will even hamper your brain's production of seratonin, which is supposed to tell you when you're full. I admit that I still don't understand very much about it, but I understand a lot more than I did before reading this book.

There are some great
A4d
Mar 11, 2017 A4d rated it it was amazing
It works. Go to dietsinreview.com for some outstanding comments, but don't just read the book and leave a review. That's not fair. Give it a try. I found it worked great.
Jul 07, 2016 Jennifer rated it liked it
I have mixed reviews on this book. While I can see the positives of a diet like this (not feeling deprived of favorite foods and being able to lose weight), there are also negatives I see. During your reward meal, which you eat once a day, you can eat ANYTHING you want. While the eat within an hour rule may help you to lose weight (I'm not certain though. I've never tested it), I can't imagine eating the recommended margarine (full of trans fats), two desserts (full of refined sugars and trans f ...more
Michelle
Feb 23, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
I heard about this book from a fellow patient at physical therapy and my curiosity was piqued. It has a questionnaire that you take to find out if you are a carb addict. I scored in the severe addict range, big shocker.

The book explains that those who are sensitive to carbs have an excess of insulin released (from eating too many carbs), which makes you think you're hungry (for carbs) when you're really not, and disrupts the production of serotonin, which helps you to feel full and satisfied.

Th
Mandy
Aug 12, 2011 Mandy rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2011
Easy to follow, and fairly to the point. The inclusion of participant anecdotes was informative and helpful. I like that the rules are simple and easy to remember. There are lots of useful tools, such as lists of foods to avoid that you wouldn't realize are high in carbohydrates, a sample menu, and a chart for recording and averaging your weight in order to get an accurate portrayal of your weight loss. I appreciated that there was an extensive chapter of potential recipes to use; it makes follo ...more
Doris Motley
Jan 22, 2014 Doris Motley rated it it was amazing
I was on this diet about 15 years ago….I lost 35 pounds, and I had a "club" of ladies wanting to know how did I lose weight and still ate regular food. My club grew to 12 women, and some follow to the letter, and others hopeless. But for me, it was easy, and I stayed on this way of eating for 3 years. I had to get off because, it got too skinny. Thats because I was eating 2 meals after I did the 2 week start. Now I've gained 35+ and decide to do it again. I was hoping there was a modify or updat ...more
Hira Noorzai
May 20, 2013 Hira Noorzai rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diet
If you are helpless infront of rice (or any other starch), this book is written for you. All I can say is that in about three months I've lost about 22lbs, and the credit goes to this book. If you realy are a cabo-addict, then this book, coupled with some cardio-vascular is going to do wonders. I recommend a quick read through the whole book the day you get it (!) and then a more detailed review later by highlighting whatever looks useful to you.
Windy
Mar 21, 2011 Windy added it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I'm reading this to learn more about carbs addiction, not necessarily to find a diet. I truly am a carb addict - I cannot stop at one piece (or even 3) of bread or dessert.

***Update: I've officially given up on this book. It makes a lot of sense, but I have too little willpower and too little desire to actually change my life. I just can't see myself eating salad at breakfast! I need cereal to start my day. ***
Rosslyn
Aug 10, 2009 Rosslyn rated it really liked it
This book really helped me understand why I was having problems losing the amt. of weight I wanted. When I followed the advice given I lost weight rapidly, even from the very beginning. It gives good, sensible advice along with some tasty recipies. If you are serious about this diet then I also recommend getting the additional carbohydrate counter book that lists all the foods and their carb. contents- you'll be surprised what you find out!
Wanda
Jan 15, 2011 Wanda rated it liked it
The book was a good one at the time. There has been subsequent research in this field that could stand to be updated. I really enjoyed the book at the time I read it, which was some time in 2000 or 2001? I followed the diet on and off for a time, but over time, the low carb lifestyle was difficult to maintain and I have since stopped following this diet.
Talyn Falls
Apr 12, 2013 Talyn Falls rated it it was amazing
This book changed the way I see myself as an eater. I have been constantly battling with binge eating and starvation it order to lose weight and obsessing over meals and snacks. I hope this diet will continue helping my cravings stay under control and bring me down to the weight I always wanted to be, but could never wish to reach without killing myself working out 5-7 days a week.
Leah Simons
Sep 11, 2015 Leah Simons rated it it was amazing
Great read. Inspirational and motivating. I've struggled with carb issues. I always gain weight the minute I have a carb. But once I have a carb, I want another one. This diet let's you binge every day and lose weight!!! Only a few rules to follow, and they are easy. Without carbs, I don't crave them and lose weight effortlessly. Highly recommended! Great case studies in there as well.
Nicole Madison
May 17, 2012 Nicole Madison rated it liked it
My nurse practitioner recommended this book to me. My blood sugar is a concern (trying to prevent diabetes), so I'm trying to improve my diet. The nurse says this diet works for her and many of her patients, but I know I'd never be able to keep it up. I have to eat fruit whenever I want it! I think it could work well for someone more disciplined.
Gayle
Oct 01, 2011 Gayle rated it liked it
Not for me, or for me to recommend either. Spawned many other diets including Bodytrim I reckon. Have a day off your diet and eat McDonalds. That's basically how I saw people doing this diet.

However, I enjoyed reading it.
Saralyn
Feb 19, 2008 Saralyn is currently reading it
I'm not one to suggest a diet, but this isn't a diet. If you're one of those people miserable or starving yourself to lose weight or be healthy... this book is for you. If you don't like it, no harm no foul. It's changed my life, but it doesn't have to be for you. :)
Sandra
Jul 01, 2008 Sandra rated it really liked it
Shelves: weightloss
Great book --after I ate it, I still weighed the same. HA!

It teaches you how to eat without craving sugar.

now back to some birthday cake and a mountain dew...
Lisa
Feb 21, 2012 Lisa added it
The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet: The Lifelong Solution to Yo-Yo Dieting (Signet) by Rachael F. Heller (1993)
Carolina
Nov 30, 2016 Carolina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excelente libro, permite comprender la importante relación que existe entre la insulina y esa necesidad imperiosa de comer esos alimentos ricos en carbohidratos, realmente recomendado.
Charlotte
Aug 05, 2011 Charlotte rated it liked it
This diet expects you to go without carbs all say until dinner. Not possible for me.
Amanda
Amanda rated it did not like it
Jul 29, 2011
Raven
Raven rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2017
Mary Ginn
Mary Ginn rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2015
Mysgydid
Mysgydid rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2014
Cheryl Wilson
Cheryl Wilson rated it it was ok
Oct 31, 2014
Areti
Areti rated it really liked it
May 17, 2009
Josephine
Josephine rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2014
Elizabeth Whitfield
Elizabeth Whitfield rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2008
Julie
Julie rated it it was ok
Apr 26, 2010
Nirlep
Nirlep rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Complete Book of Food Counts
  • The Perricone Promise: Look Younger, Live Longer in Three Easy Steps
  • Get with the Program!: Getting Real About Your Weight, Health, and Emotional Well-Being
  • Marilu Henner's Total Health Makeover
  • The Complete Book of Breastfeeding
  • Suzanne Somers' Get Skinny on Fabulous Food
  • The Pilates Body: The Ultimate At-Home Guide to Strengthening, Lengthening and Toning Your Body- Without Machines
  • Crocheting in Plain English: Easy-to-follow lessons in patterns, Sensible solutions to nagging problems, The only book any crocheter will ever Need.
  • Potatoes Not Prozac
  • A Patient's Guide to PCOS: Understanding--and Reversing--Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
  • Let's Learn Hiragana: First Book of Basic Japanese Writing
  • Runner's World Complete Book of Beginning Running
  • Beyond Jennifer & Jason, Madison & Montana: What to Name Your Baby Now
  • Mastering the Zone: The Next Step in Achieving SuperHealth and Permanent Fat Loss
  • The Beginning Runner's Handbook: The Proven 13-Week Walk/Run Program
  • Atkins for Life: The Complete Controlled Carb Program for Permanent Weight Loss and Good Health
  • Richard Hittleman's Yoga: 28 Day Exercise Plan