Start by marking “SWF SEEKS SAME” as Want to Read:
SWF SEEKS SAME

SWF SEEKS SAME

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  335 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Allies new roommate Hedra at first just seems a shy, awkward woman in search of a role model or a big sister. But as the two settle in to life together in their small New York apartment, it becomes clear that Hedra doesnt merely admire Allie, she actually wants to be Allie. And she has a plan. The inspiration for the hit film Single White Female, SWF Seeks Same is a chilli ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about SWF SEEKS SAME, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about SWF SEEKS SAME

Domika
Kniha mě zaujala hlavně svou obálkou. Miluji horory a strašidelná dívka na obálce mě upoutala jako první. Po přečtení anotace jsem si byla jistá, že se mi kniha bude líbit. A taky že líbila.

Hlavní hrdinkou, se kterou budete prožívat děsivé chvíle, je Allison Jonesová, pro přátele Allie. Je mladá, krásná a velmi atraktivní žena pracující jako programátorka. Ovšem tato práce jí moc nevynáší. Proto také u sebe nechává načerno bydlet svého přítele Sama, který jí pomáhá platit nájem a starat se o dom
Tennaners
This book was an interesting view on a pretty unsettling mindset; that of a person who once heard a copycat absolved by the cutesy (and infuriating, to the copied) saying "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" and, sitting bolt upright one late night, fevered eyes dancing around catching flickers of light, "Yes. YES. THIS. I shall run with this... forEVER."

And you know, it serves a dual purpose; no doubt it ably scratches the dirty little monster itch we all have that, every now and agai
Donna Henderson
This is psychological thriller perfection! A great cast of characters, a lovely weaved plot, and lots of mystery and suspense. The pages kept turning right until the end. I loved Allie and Hedra and the entire doppelganger concept. John takes this element of humanity that exists in us all, in small amounts, and then magnifies them into a form of madness. I love the film also, but the book has different scenes which added even more spice when reading. This book/film will always get five star rati ...more
Tea Garner
Extremely rare case where the movie is better than the book. I never thought I would say a movie delved more into the characters than the book. Comparisons aside, this is one of the worst novels I have ever read. You can get more characterization from paper dolls. Not one character was likable. I found myself waiting for a cohesive story but all I got was a bunch mumblings about the strange people in New York. I was expecting a decent psychological thriller but what I got was Bonfire of the Vani ...more
Kay
An enjoyable book I could read in an afternoon. It kept me on the edge of my seat. Don't remember the movie, but maybe someday I'll catch it on tv.
Susan
This is the book that the movie "Single White Female" is based on. More cerebral than the movie, but still scary.
Alshia Moyez
I loved this story when I came across it years ago. I think I saw the film in TV or something & then checked out the book. The book was written in a mediocre way and the plot was a little thin but I really loved the characters for some reason. I loved the main character and the other characters that lived in her apartment building. This story isn't scary or even thrilling for 2013, and the idea isn't anything special these days. I don't remember there being any harsh language in this book or ...more
Red Heaven
This was a very enjoyable book. The film may have fleshed out the characters a little more and given them depth, but Lutz did a good job of characterization given the relatively short length of the book.

I liked his compact writing style, and how he kept the plot moving steadily forward and held the reader's interest.
Toni
I found parts of this book very good, well described feeling and experiences were happening to the main characters. But other parts of the book were quite boring, long and drawn out and their relevance did not ever appear later in the book. As the book begins to conclude a number of horrific events occur, but these are described in the same tone as love scenes or food experiences earliar written about. I have seen the movie and in some ways the book was so similar I wondered if it was a screen p ...more
Molly
An interesting look at a book that holds up story-wise (psychologically creepy), but also feels dated. Lots of references to glowing green computer screens and typewriters and such.
Nadia Nader
Never seen the movie, but always heard the term "Single White Female" or "SWF". Really enjoyed this book & would read other books by the author.
Sheila
Allie Jones is a struggling computer programmer in New York. Although the apartment buildings rules state no roommates, her boyfriend is living with her. Their relationship ends suddenly and Allie suddenly needs to find a roommate to help her share the costs. Hedra moves in but in more ways than just a ordinary roommate. Allie finds Hedra wearing her clothes and she discovers the clothes in Hedra's closet are duplicates of her own. Allie starts receiving obscene phone calls then her credit cards ...more
Eliana
Keeps you hooked til the very end every time. P.I. thriller/mystery.
Miguel Hollander
first half slow last half riveting
Melindaaaa
Tyhle nenápadné šedé myšky jako je Hedra mě asi teď budou děsit. Nikdy nevíte, co se těm holkám honí hlavou. A ta bezmoc, jakou musela Allie cítit, když ji Hedra začala uctívat a měnit se v ní samotnou. No drsné to bylo. Nebylo to špatné čtení.
Elyse
Aug 10, 2007 Elyse rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: quick readers
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. Normally, I wouldn't read something that I assumed to be... well, potentially mindless, but it wasn't that bad. It was actually pretty good. Of course, I went into this book thinking it would be dreadful and having watched the movie more than once, so I suppose my opinion is slightly bias. But I'm rambling. In closing, I'd recommend this as a good weekend read for someone who has nothing better to do.
Mario Rocchetta
Totally eighties/early nineties and totally fun/scary, "Single White Female" is a solid book that should appease any fan of the horror/thriller genre. Though not outwardly spooky, it's the idea of having your entire life taken over by a stranger that poses the greatest psychological fear for the reader. I had fun navigating through this one an I think you would, too. Check it out!
Joyce McKune
Allie Jones needed a roommate to cover expenses. She advertised and chose Hedra Carlson who started to take over her life.
Marylene
I read this many moons ago. I'm adding it now just because the movie has been on television again lately. I really loved this book. The movie is good, but the book I remember being so much better. It really makes you picture your characters. I really don't remember what year I read it though. Probably right before the movie came out.
Nel-ly
btw. až v polovině knihy mi dišlo, že jsem ten film viděla :D ale teda... kniha je lepšejší (to tak bývá, co?), ve filmu hned všechno prozraděj a charaktery neodpovídaj
Škoda, že to není aktuálnější, ale na druhou stranu... tohle se může stát v každý době.

Ryan
Predictable with misogynist under tones, though the latter might be just me. I read the book before seeing the movie, and neither was particularly good. The book better conveyed Hedra's personality; the movie was lacking in character development department. Overall, I'm glad it was a short book.
Mike
Nov 18, 2007 Mike rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who don't like books
Man, what a waste of time. I understand why I read it (wanted something for relief from my "real" reading sophomore year of college) but man, what a piece of crap. I don't think I even liked the sex scenes all that much--and I was virgin at the time. That should tell you how lame this is.
Sharon
I remember the film from years ago and wondered whether it was worth bothering with the book after all this time - but I'm really glad I did. The book is way better than the film - well written, dark and really chilling - I was gripped and couldn't put it down.
D. L. Blanco
The title of this book obviously inspired me to put the "Latina" twist to my (currently being published novel) "Single Latina Female". Although, there is no murder in my own novel I promise you that the woman is just as "touched" in the head as this one.
Hanna
Ensimmäinen ajatus oli, että tämä on huono, seuraava ajatus oli, että tämä voisi sittenkin olla hyvä. Kun tiheää tunnelmaa rakennettiin enemmän, ajattelin, että tämä voisi oikeasti olla hyvä, kunnes loppu latistui peruskliseiseen ratkaisuun.
Vicki
I read this book before going to see the movie. I have to tell ya, i thought the book was great. When I saw the movie, I was disappointed. They left out A LOT. If you sorta liked the movie, then you will like the book much better.
Suši
Na začátku: Nuda. To se mi nebude líbit.
V prostředku: Wooooow, tak to jsem na to zvědavá!
Před koncem: Pár stránek do koncem... že to přeci jen dopadne špatně?!
Na konci: :OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Randy
Lutz usually writes much better. This thing sinks purely because his female protagonist has the brains of a jelly fish. Utterly stupid but not as drawn, just as written. Good grief.
Curtis
Another book in which I saw the film first (loved it), then read the book (loved it even more). This is one hell of a thrill ride!
Patti
It takes along time for the book to get started. Has an open ended ending. Lots of questions throughout the book that are never answered.
  • Sliver
  • Bram Stoker's Dracula
  • Faith
  • Why Don't You Come For Me?
  • The Evil Within
  • Children on the Oregon Trail
  • A Little Girl in My Room & Other Stories
  • Shamanism
  • The Bloody Ripper (Leopard King Saga, #1.2)
  • Die Kinder aus Bullerbü (Bullerbü, #1-3)
  • After the Empire: The Breakdown of the American Order
  • Kalte Stille
  • Bad Seeds: Evil Progeny
  • Der Teufel von Mailand
  • The Rockingdown Mystery (Barney Mysteries, #1)
  • Basic Instinct
  • The Secret of Shark Reef (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #30)
  • Lullaby

John Lutz published his first short story in 1966 in Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine and has been publishing regularly ever since. His work includes political suspense, private eye novels, urban suspense, humor, occult, crime caper, police procedural, espionage, historical, futuristic, amateur detective--v
More about John Lutz...
In for the Kill (Frank Quinn #2) Darker Than Night (Frank Quinn, #1) Night Kills (Frank Quinn, #3) Serial (Frank Quinn, #6) Urge To Kill (Frank Quinn, #4)