Start by marking “Imhotep” as Want to Read:
Imhotep
Preview

Imhotep (Imhotep #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  569 ratings  ·  62 reviews
Stumbling in the dark of an unfinished tomb beneath the sands of Saqqara, Tim Hope discovers a doorway that opens into ancient Egypt, a time before the Sphinx, before the great pyramids of Giza, and long before the loss of his beloved Addy.

Hoping to forget his past, Tim immerses himself in the ancient world and soon learns that two other Americans have preceded him through
Published (first published April 4th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Imhotep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Imhotep

I, the Sun by Janet E. MorrisThe Devil's Fire by Matt TomerlinOne Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr SolzhenitsynThe Devil's Tide by Matt TomerlinThe Devil's Horizon by Matt Tomerlin
History Books - Fact and Fiction
86th out of 306 books — 53 voters
The Mole People Beneath the City by Evans LightBlack Loon Lake by S.L. CoelhoThe Manhattan Well by Stanley CloudThe Chupacabra by Stephen RandelThe Siege of Washington by John P. Lockwood
Kindles for Bubbas
18th out of 43 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Zoe
I have a degree in Egyptology, have visited Egypt many times, and have often wished I could go back in time and see what it was really like - so obviously I was drawn to this book. My verdict - it was okay, I finished it, but the historical inaccuracies drove me mad. If someone is going to write an historical novel, then the least that they can do is research it properly! I suppose to someone who doesn't know much about ancient Egypt, the inaccuracies wouldn't be spotted, but they did matter to ...more
Matthew Lockwood
I suspected this might be another mediocre self-published novel, and the first few chapters seemed to confirm that. The main character's behaviour didn't really make too much sense and seemed to drag on for much longer then necessary.

However, as soon as we hit 3rd Dynasty Egypt, everything changes. It turns into an epic adventure with proper baddies, heroes you can care about, and the writing improves massively. I suspect that Jerry Dubs was holding himself back until he got to the part of the
Julia Thorne
I’ve read my fair share of historical novels over the years, and a good number of these have been set in ancient Egypt. However, I hadn't yet ventured very far into the world of self-published novels, so when a friend recommended Jerry Dubs' Imhotep to me, I popped along to Amazon to check it out.

Of course, one of the risks you take when buying self-published work is that you don’t know what you’re going to get: will the book be littered with typos and poorly constructed prose? Will the charact
Anthony
January 23, 2015
A Review by Anthony T. Riggio of the novel “Imhotep” written by Jerry Dove

I recently purchased this book from Amazon Kindle as the summary squib sounded interesting. I had no idea about this book and knew nothing of the author Jerry Dove. I do love historically based stories and this book filled every interest I had: some fantasy, some history, differences in language and culture, political intrigue, religion and even sexual mores.

The main story starts out with a journey of thre
Katie
this book just took way too long to get going for me. I usually plow through even hooks I don't like in a week or less. this one took well over a month for me to even bother picking it up. the last 15% or so of the book was really good, and I didn't want it to end. so if the author had cut out like the first 30% worth of babbling and concentrated on the good part of the story a bit id have been more pleased.
kent
This book is an alternate history type of thriller. a third person single narrator with about 6 main characters and at least 8 minor characters the book takes about 30% to set up the story. It's well written with and falls well within the historical setting of the third dynasty in ancient Egypt. I enjoyed the book staying up late more than one night to finish
Bobscopatz
Imhotep is historic fiction set 5,000 years ago in Egypt during the reign of King Dosher. The author does a good job of imagining daily life in ancient Egypt as seen through the experiences of three accidental time travelers from today. The characters are well written, but I think perhaps not so deeply drawn as they could be. The adventures they go through are transformative, but they somewhat feel like they move from one type of unidimensional character to different type of unidimensional chara ...more
Debra
Reagan Wunderlich
I didn't have high expectations for this book when I started out reading it, but I was very impressed by the author's story telling that by the end, Imhotep has become one of my favorite books. I'd recommend it to anyone. Dubs has the ability to tell a story without telling every detail so that when your imagination takes hold and connects the dots for you, you're left with a beautiful portrait in your head of the scene. I love the way he told about Addy's death. I felt Tim's pain and loss in ev ...more
Jessica Riddoch
I am onerously considering buying the second in this series. Despite the implausibility of the basic story line, it is fiction, the story felt very real. There are three main characters who are different from each other. I would suggest that the author is happier with male characters as the female character is not as vivid, real or prominent as the two male characters, but she still managed to feel like a real person.
sex does happen as part of the story, how else would one of the characters bec
Amy Carr
I loved this book! This is the first book that I have read in a while that I had a difficult time putting down. The author has done an excellent job with character development. Each of the main characters is given depth with flaws and strengths and even the "villains" are not described as totally evil. The reader is given a glimpse into the lives of the antagonists for a better understanding of why they have become who they are. This book also tackles some of the many difficult questions of life ...more
Janice L Dick
The premise of this story is the hook: what if several people are able to move from the present into the world of ancient Egypt (before the pyramids), and what if they make such an impact on that society that they actually become historical characters they have learned about in the present?
Although I didn't appreciate all the content of this book, the premise kept me reading, sometimes skimming, to see what decisions the characters make that will affect not only them but history as it stands.
T
Kaellen
Good story line but it rambled on and on and on....
Stephen
Enjoyed it, but it drags at some points
Kathryn
Unusual but, exciting historical Time portal novel

Very interesting dissection of cultures along the Nile in ancient Egypt and the characters brought back through time as they try to understand and communicate thoughts to a simpler life style. their thoughts develop into understanding as completely divergent culture comes into contact with the modern brain. The five thousand year gap between two peoples and interpreted by two different proples of vastly different times and mores .
Kirsty
Bit preachy
Sandy
Time travel stories fascinate me, especially when they are so spectacularly well done as this one. The detail and characterizations are so deep in this book that you can't help but suspect that the author somehow has access to a way to travel back in time himself. Read this book and you'll feel that you are walking alongside Imhotep, shadowing his every move and thought.

All other time travel books pale in comparison.
Catherine
I really enjoyed this book. Although I'm not a scholar of Ancient Egypt I found the book to be exactly what I'd imagined Ancient Egypt would be. The male characters are well defined although the women not so much. The goodies had some bad characteristics and the baddies had reasons for how they became disillusioned with their lives. I loved the idea that the mummies discovered in ancient tombs may not be who we think they are. I will read the next in the series.
Roger Nelson
Pretty fair tale - a bit overlong

Time travel, Nobel and ignoble characters, a gloss of history and the feel of a travel guide.. The plot and the characters kept me interested but I did have to gloss over gobs of self pity and emotional anguish. Could have been 4 stars written tighter with more action and less introspection.
Emily
Started slow and then I got interested in some of the storylines. Was preachy in some parts about how modern society has its priorities wrong and Ancient Egyptians were so much more content. I liked that history and culture were woven into the story but I have little interest in continuing the next book to find out what happens next.
James B. Kuminecz
Felt as if in a time machine to ancient Egypt.

The characters were well fleshed out and believable. The story was well written and kept me on the edge of my seat. I could almost smell and taste the air of ancient Egypt. The hot desert breezes of ancient Egypt pulled me into the time and places of the story. This book a magic carpet to the times of early Egypt.
Mary Glass
Messing with the timeline

More than decent but not dry research on display. Characters also are fully adequate but not unforgettable. Except maybe Brian, who comes into his own the really hard way. Hooray for the common folk who keep the travelers sound and even get somebody back home.
Donna Dressler
Egypt 5000 years ago.

With all the various characters it was sometimes hard to keep them straight. Being so used to feminine and masculine names I struggled to keep them all straight. It was an interesting take on what Egypt might have looked like 5000 years ago when multiple gods were worshiped.
Cory
Apr 21, 2015 Cory added it
Shelves: 2015
I couldn't get past the second chapter. Other reviewers said the book started bad then got really good. I did not have the patience to get to the good part.
Daniela
Yes, I admit it, I'm a sucker for everything ancient Egypt related, and thus I got sucked into this one. Now, I love a good ancient history murder and mayhem plot just as much as the next gal, but this right here... I don't know what to say. It was like a trainwreck that you kinda couldn't look away from. I'm on board with the whole plot to kill the king, building of temples and tombs and worrying about famines stuff, it's real, it has been recorded, and it is literally ancient history, which is ...more
Paula Schumm
Time travel books are usually not my thing, but Mr. Dubs has done a fine job of recreating early Egyptian life and customs. I felt I learned something when I finished. Recommended.
Carol Bosselman
Really enjoyed this book, gave a nice flavor for how life may have been back then, without slowing down the action or story. Great characerization.
Vicki
Great book

Fun pseudo history book. Enjoyed it very much. If you enjoy history and adventure this is a good choice. Fun.
Patricia
Started out slow. Overall good read, I'm not sure if all the historical information was based on fact. The concepts were interesting.
Melissa Hart
Very slow to start. Actually, the first half was very slow. but by the time I got to the middle of the book, I couldn't put it down.
2015 Reading Chal...: Imhotep by Jerry Dubs 1 8 Mar 13, 2015 06:04PM
  • The Controversial Mayan Queen: Sak K'uk of Palenque (The Mists of Palenque Book 2)
  • The Garden on Sunset (Hollywood's Garden of Allah #1)
  • The Sekhmet Bed (The She-King, #1)
  • The Sword of the Banshee (Historical Fiction About Bold Women)
  • Treasure of Egypt: Treasure of the Ancients
  • The Highlander (The Rise of the Aztecs, #1)
  • Transgression (City of God #1)
  • Another Dawn
  • Somewhere My Love (Somewhere in Time, #1)
  • The First Pharaoh
  • Gold Mountain
  • By the Sword (Spoils of Olympus, #1)
  • Just In Time (Portals of Time, #1)
  • Secret of the Sands
  • Twisted Linen
  • Shift (ChronoShift #1)
  • Duval and the Infernal Machine
  • Rebekah's Treasure

Imhotep (3 books)
  • The Buried Pyramid (Imhotep 2)
  • The Forest of Myrrh (Imhotep #3)
The Buried Pyramid (Imhotep 2) The Forest of Myrrh (Imhotep #3) The Earth Is My Witness Kaleidoscope Buried Pyramid, The (Imhotep 2)

“Each of us thinks we are the most important person, because we are inside ourselves.  Does this make sense?  We see the world from our eyes and hear it with our ears.  I look past the branches and leaves of the trees to the sky and I see the colors I call brown and green and blue.  But think, Brian, are they the same colors that you see?  We may call them by the same name, but they may look different to you. “The taste of an onion, the song of a bird, the strum of the harp, the grit of sand.  I know what they feel like and taste like and sound like to me.  But I can not know what they are to you.  So how can I truly know your thoughts or feel your fears?  “I can listen to you and comfort you, but only you can overcome your fears, only you can bring yourself into balance with ma’at.” 2 likes
“All he asks in return is for us to live, fully alive and aware.  He brings light and life to all.  We can surely take his energy and use it to live.  It should be so simple.” 0 likes