Start by marking “A Shopkeeper's Millennium: Society and Revivals in Rochester, New York, 1815-1837” as Want to Read:

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  236 ratings  ·  17 reviews
A quarter-century after its first publication, A Shopkeeper's Millennium remains a landmark work--brilliant both as a new interpretation of the intimate connections among politics, economy, and religion during the Second Great Awakening, and as a surprising portrait of a rapidly growing frontier city. The religious revival that transformed America in the 1820s, making it t ...more
Published June 21st 2004 by Hill and Wang (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about A Shopkeeper's Millennium, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Shopkeeper's Millennium

Jonathan
A fascinating, subtle, and immensely valuable study, but I have some important reservations from the author's conclusions. To explain, I shall have to write at length.

In A Shopkeeper's Millennium, Paul Johnson argues that American revivalism in the early nineteenth century was a product of class conflict, not (as often assumed) individual social insecurity. Evangelicalism, according to Johnson, was not primarily a means for the mobile economic individualist to find meaning in life; it was instea
Joseph Stieb
This is a heck of a book even if I can't necessarily recommend it to everyone. Not everyone is going to read about revivals in Rochester, NY, but it's really fascinating case study of the social roots of Great Awakening in a specific city. It's also a great use of structural functionalist perspective in history. Johnson isn't really that concerned with the religious views of Rochester's citizens. Rather, he looks at the function of religion in society and in class relations. His basic argument i ...more
Joshua
Paul E. Johnson’s focused monograph, A Shopkeeper’s Millennium: Society and Revivals in Rochester, New York 1815-1837, tries to broadly outline some intensifiers of the Second Great Awakening in the United States—a religious revival movement that reached its apex during the 1820s and 1830s. Johnson uses Rochester as a case study to explore the success of Charles Finney’s 1831 revivals, not because it was representative of the United States but because it’s religious fervency was exceptional. Joh ...more
Dan Gorman
Johnson was part of the social history movement in the 1970s - historians thought they could use statistics, demography, and early computer technology to finally achieve truly objective history, and the profession focused on matters of politics, business, labor, population trends, etc. Johnson uses all kinds of statistical data to support his narrative of Rochester politics and religion, anti-Masonic scheming, and finally the revival of Charles Finney in Rochester. However, his data is very sele ...more
Karen
Interesting and useful case study of Rochester, NY on the link between changing social structures of the middle and working classes as influenced by the 2nd Great Awakening, temperance movement, and the rise of the market/capitalist system. Not the most gripping of narratives.
Chad
Read for a history class in school. It was pretty interesting, I never realized that temperance movements had happened so many times in this country, or that the one in the 1820s was so bound up with religious revival.
Jamie
I'm not a fan of this book, though it is decent. I'm expected to write a paper based on this, perhaps that plays a role in my unlikeliness of it. Nevertheless, I find the book a bit dry and at some point confusing. My TA, who's a grad history student, loves this book and claims that this is the type of book he reads for his classes. Thus, I guess it just really depends in one's book preference, maybe even historical aspect preference.
Gunnar
Interesting examination of the city of Rochester from a trendy '70s quasi-Marxist perspective. Johnson contends that the Second Great Awakening religious revival in the emerging Rochester bourgeoisie helped birth the antebellum Industrial Revolution and strengthen the divide between Northern owners and workers.
Michelle
Apr 03, 2011 Michelle is currently reading it
It's a history book--one I bought for a class I ended up dropping. Some of it is dry, but the conclusions he draws along the way are interesting. So far, the book focuses on what led to the Second Great Awakening in one burgeoning city that Charles Finney visited.
John
Jan 16, 2013 John rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Solid academic book. Learned some new things about religion and society in upstate New York. As with most academic writing, the interesting bits come after he's come to his conclusions and he lets himself speculate a bit about the role of religion as a social control.
Alina Scott
I loved it! Johnson gave an interesting perspective to the second great awakening. I normally do not appreciate historical books of this nature, but it was wonderfully written and informative. I would definitely recommend this book!
Laurie
The new social history at its best. But would it have killed Johnson to give some credit to the women, especially since they outnumbered/converted the men?
Samantha
It was a good informational book, but I have to say I found it quite boring.
Robyn Sheppard
Dry, but factual account of Rochester's earliest religious revival.
Kristen
Beautiful story of how money and church are intermingled.
Richard Berman
Aug 06, 2009 Richard Berman is currently reading it
Very refreshing story. Great characters and plot.
Brentley Campbell
Read some bits and pieces for class. A solid read
Larry Frazier
Larry Frazier marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Nicole
Nicole added it
Dec 07, 2014
Phyllis A
Phyllis A marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
C
C added it
Nov 24, 2014
Andrew
Andrew added it
Nov 14, 2014
  • Chants Democratic: New York City and the Rise of the American Working Class, 1788-1850
  • The Democratization of American Christianity
  • William Cooper's Town: Power and Persuasion on the Frontier of the Early American Republic
  • Cheap Amusements: Working Women and Leisure in Turn-of-the-Century New York
  • Liberty and Power: The Politics of Jacksonian America
  • The Search for Order, 1877-1920
  • Homeward Bound: American Families In The Cold War Era
  • Manliness and Civilization: A Cultural History of Gender and Race in the United States, 1880-1917
  • White Over Black: American Attitudes Toward the Negro, 1550-1812
  • City of Women: Sex and Class in New York, 1789-1860
  • The Minutemen and Their World
  • To Serve God and Wal-Mart: The Making of Christian Free Enterprise
  • Roll, Jordan, Roll: The World the Slaves Made
  • Women of the Republic: Intellect and Ideology in Revolutionary America
  • Red, White, and Black: The Peoples of Early North America
  • Free Soil, Free Labor, Free Men: The Ideology of the Republican Party Before the Civil War
  • The Legacy of Conquest: The Unbroken Past of the American West
  • The Wages of Whiteness: Race and the Making of the American Working Class
The Kingdom of Matthias: A Story of Sex and Salvation in 19th-Century America Sam Patch, the Famous Jumper The Early American Republic, 1789-1829 African-American Christianity: Essays in History Social Choice: : Theory & Research