Start by marking “100 Days and 99 Nights” as Want to Read:
100 Days and 99 Nights

100 Days and 99 Nights

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Dad says because of the army he stood shoulder to shoulder with polar bears and watched the sun rise over the frozen fields of Alaska, which sounds really exciting. And because of the Army he slept in sludge, shoulder to shoulder with snakes and watched the sun set over the swamps of Alabama -- which does not.

In a timely, but not politically charged way, author Alan Madis
Published May 1st 2008 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about 100 Days and 99 Nights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Days and 99 Nights

The Library Lady
Perhaps I am prejudiced against this book because it is set in Alexandria, Virgina and I have lived in the area for 20 years.
At least, I think I have, because most of the colorful local details Alan Madison has put in this book have nothing to do with MY hometown. Especially the nonsense about people around here speaking with a Southern drawl, since most of the folks in this area come from elsewhere. And if you come from Mankato, Minnesota, or Oklahoma City, or even :) the Bronx, you don't sound
Tami
100 Days and 99 Nights is the story of Esme, a second-grader whose father is in the military and must leave for a tour of duty for 100 days and 99 nights. Esme narrates the story and I found myself completely absorbed in her journey as she navigates through the days without her father. The supporting characters of her mother, brother and Grandpa are well-defined and just as real as Esme in voice and action.

For children whose parents are in the military and have to handle this exact situation I c
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by hoopsielv for TeensReadToo.com

Esme's father is a sergeant in the United States Army. Her family has lived in locations like Korea, Kenya, and Germany. Now they are settled in the United States and they enjoy spending time together as a family.

During one of those happy times her father announces that he must leave for duty. 100 days and 99 nights is a long time, but he knows that Esme will do her best to help her mother. Esme sends her treasured baby blanket along with him.

Daddy is
The Reading Countess
Ordering this book blindly through Scholastic, I was interested in all of the children's books being written lately about the war in the Middle East. I knew nothing about the book, but was purely interested in the topic. Having now read it, I would tentatively place it in my classroom library for my lower readers. I think a handful of those still struggling (dyslexic or ESOL population) might find it interesting.
Esme is a second grader with an A-Z collection, literally, of stuffed animals. Each
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
Although I like this one, I have quite a few "issues" as well. I like it because it presents a contemporary soldier's family and what the children go through (fairly young -- 2nd grade and kindergarten) -- and what the mother goes through -- to try to hold everything together when the father has to do a tour of duty in the desert land. The tone is quiet and soothing.

I have issues with the narrative voice, especially when I found out that this first-person narrator is a 2nd grader (even if it is
Susan
Esme' is what we would call a military kid. She and her family had lived all over the world and she had a lot of friends. She collected stuffed animals and had one for every letter of the alphabet but x. Now living in the U.S., her father is sent on a tour of duty for 100 days and 99 nights. Esme' tells of how she, her mother and brother tried to make the time pass quickly. We have a lot of students who can easily relate to her story. Good read for primary and middle level students.
Kate Hastings
Dec 21, 2013 Kate Hastings rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Grades K-3, armed services, separation waiting iraq war
RL 970. A really sweet book for young children with parents in the service. 2nd grader Esme tries her best to be brave when her Army Sargent father does a tour of duty. So much changes when Dad is away-- from the pancakes they eat every Sunday, to the tuck-in routines and the funny stories and word-play. Nothing is the same. So she and her family find things to do and ways to cope with his absence.

Nobody really talks about the fact that some Daddies come back hurt or not at all. It's always an
Lisa
Okay, I have officially given up on this book. The idea was great! Dad is deployed to active duty and his little girl tries to stay strong and help at home. I wanted this book to be good! However, the voice of the title character was just too annoying. I work with young children and I don't know any who really talk that way. I thought the repetition might just be a device to support emergent readers, but no the idea doesn't work. I don't think students would read or enjoy this story. It did get ...more
Sharon Matney
The young girl, Esme, is a descriptive storyteller who recounts past events in her life as well as the effect of her dad's current tour of duty on the family. I enjoyed how she describes the countries they have lived in (e.g. Kenya was oatmeal-hot in the summer). I also liked reading about her "bedzoo" and how each chapter features one of her many stuffed animals which leads into a related story about influential people or places in Esme's life. This is a well-written work of contemporary realis ...more
Susan
For middle grades (3 - 6), this book tells the story of a military family from the point of view of Esme, the seven-year-old daughter. When her father has to go overseas on an assignment, the family goes through the typical fears of any family with a parent deployed in harm's way. What I really liked about this book was that it was NORMAL. The family didn't have major trauma or drama. They just endured the time that their dad was gone and made the best of a difficult situation. The story is tied ...more
Kathryn
Started this as a read-aloud at the end of the year for my 4th graders, we ran out of time, so I finished it on my own. The story of a military family dealing with deployment, relocation, and life. I think Madison attempted to make the narration sound believable for an early-elementary school girl, which he achieved perhaps in the thinking, uses a lot of big words, though so better for a mid-elementary independent read, but may come across as a bit babyish at times. One student in my class has a ...more
Emily Cook
Great read for kiddos; glimpse into life with a soldier. Grab the tissues! Recommend.
Shonna Froebel
This novel features Esme a second-grader whose father is a career soldier. The title refers to the length of a tour of duty, which Esme's father goes away on for a good portion of the book. Esme is a cute little girl, with the usual sibling issues with her younger brother Ike, a good attitude about school and friends and a zoo of stuffed animals.
The chapters are named for the stuffed animals alphabetically and include the story of how each was added to her collection. The book gives a glimpse of
Little Bookworm
This was a cute little book I liked it :)
Megan
I personally only read the first chapter of this book, and knew immediately that my oldest would enjoy it. She noticed it on the bookshelf before I had a chance to read it any further, and finished it in an evening + a day.
She is in the 2nd grade, and has a collection of stuffed animals.
We are not a military family.
She has chosen the rating above, of 4 stars for "it was amazing".
Her chosen reading lists generally consist of books like
Charlotte's Web(read 3 times), The Secret Garden, and Litt
Kerri
I bought this book because I liked the idea of adding a book that contains "military kids" as the main character. I think it is important for kids to understand some of the challenges these kids/families face when their soldier has gone to war. It was definitely a cute book that illustrated these important ideas. The main character was a second grader, which I think will make it a little harder for my fourth grade students to connect with, but overall I'm pleased to add this book to my classroom ...more
mom2wah
Cute kids book
AmyLyn
Jul 30, 2010 AmyLyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
I'm reading this with Ana and Ry and it is a great book! The writing is hilarious (I think Ryan and I are enjoying it even more than the kids are) and the story is great for helping kids understand more about what an Army life means for them. It would be a fun book for kids not in the military, but it's a fantastic book for kids in it. I'm having a hard time limiting our reading time to just 2 chapters a night. =-)
Ruth
While Esem's father is away on a military tour of duty, she feels that it's her duty to be in charge. That's what her dad would want, but it's not so easy with a pesky little brother like Ike around. Join Esme as she counts down the days to her gehter's return and see just how much can change in 100 days and 99 nights. Ok story line for 2-3rd graders, but not very strong. Didn't finish
Maelee
I felt this was a true to account of life for families on the homefront while a relative is serving in the army during wartime. The book offered hope and encouragement to children in particular (aged 5+)who may not understand what is happening during the first tour of duty. And the same age group would learn that they are not alone if their relative has to serve for more tours of duty.
Kasey
This book is set up in the media center and the kids continue to check it out over and over so I was really interested in what it was about. The concept was sad but definitely intreging. It may be because it was targeted to 3-8 graders but it feel short for me. Still I enjoyed the story and understand why it won't stay on the library shelves.
Colleen
Oct 16, 2008 Colleen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children of parents in the military
100 days & 99 nights is a typical tour of duty. This is the story of a child dealing with those long days without her dad and the bedzoo of animals that contain her memories. It is definately a welcome addition, as there are far too few books on this subject.
Jenn
Sweet story about a family whose father is deployed for 3 months. I love the author's writing style - he uses idioms, alliteration, and great vocabulary, yet it's still written so that children will understand and connect with the story.
Juliann
Great short story about the life a child whose father is deployed. Uses the alphabet and her "bedzoo" of animals to tell the story of her life in different places and the adventures she has with different people.
Kimberly Hill
Pretty cute book! Really wish deployments only lasted 100 days & 99 nights.... interesting look at deployments through a child's point of view. Am going to have to try out their beloved pancake recipe!
Ms. B
Have you ever wondered what it would be like if one of your parents was in the military and was called to go overseas to fight in the war?
This is the story Esme, Ike and their family.
Joshua
cute but a little young narration... is she 7, 8, 9? liked premise, liked animals gimick, not sure about execution. 3.5 stars but audience dubious.
Martha Netoff
Maude Hart Lovelace nominee 2011
describes the life of a little girl whose father is on a tour of duty in the military
Joshua Jaeger
Very cute book that really helped my kids fall asleep at night. I liked that it had a happy ending.
Camille
Sweet little story about the challenges military families face when a parent is deployed away from home.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Velma Gratch and the Way Cool Butterfly Pecorino Plays Ball Pecorino's First Concert (Anne Schwartz Books) The Littlest Grape Stomper Twas the Night Before Chanukkah