Starlight and Time: Solving the Puzzle of Distant Starlight in a Young Universe

Starlight and Time: Solving the Puzzle of Distant Starlight in a Young Universe

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The bible teaches that the universe is just thousands of years old, and yet we can see stars that are billions of light-years away. In this book, Dr. Humphreys explains this phenomenon with his new cosmology including an easy-to-read popular summary and two technical papers.
Published April 15th 1994 by Master Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Starlight and Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starlight and Time

Christopher George
This book is essentially a historical, scientific model of the six days of Creation, particularly in relation to day 4. Ever wonder how the stars were both created and visible, from billions of light years away, on the fourth day of Creation?

Be at ease when reading _Starlight_and_Time_, that atheists don't have any better ideas, even on this particular topic. They have not solved the Horizon Problem. (Feel free to look it up.) Thus, we haven't any reason to feel ashamed for having needed a bette...more
sologdin
This book might as well have been written by The Onion.

The universe runs on Earth Standard Time because the universe was created out of a white hole, the residue of which is the earth, and which shielded the earth from the passage of time in the rest of the universe, such that the earth is merely 6,000 years old, whereas the rest of the universe is billions of years old. There is consequently no contradiction between young earth creationism and visible stars many thousands of parsecs distant.

Er...more
Arnold Sikkema
When I was a young-earth creationist, I had hoped for a solution to the starlight-and-time problem, and so eagerly read this book. But my knowledge of general relativity and the Bible allowed me to see so many scientific and theological errors in the book that I realized it was time to ditch the YEC idea. Later "solutions" (e.g. by Jason Lisle) continue to confirm my understanding that YEC is grasping for straws.
Benjamin
I found this book disappointing as a creationist perspective on the universe. The first thing you should know is that there are only about 30 pages of content accessible to a layman, the rest is basically Dr. Humphrey's published research. As for the theory, parts of it sound great, but ultimately he cedes the entire formation of the universe to an evolutionary time scale & formation model. Basically his argument is: here's how I can account for however many billions or trillions of years se...more
Tom
The book was thought provoking and shed light on one major area - that the science is not settled. His hypothesis of gravitational time dilation seems very plausible, especially when you consider that laws of physics such as the law of Entropy demonstrate that the universe had a beginning. I think this book make a good scientific contribution to the philosophical debate on age and the appearance of age in origins.
Nick
I found the scientific theories proposed in this book intriguing. Humphreys basic premise is that the so called "Copernican Principle" is unwarrented by science, meaning that it is pure conjecture that the universe has no bounds. Once he substitutes a bounded universe into Einstein's theory of General Relativity, he demonstrates (and I mean mathmatically...Appendix C is way too technical for all but astrophysists) that the universe was once inside a "white hole". Based on the physics of Gravita...more
Geoff
time is relative

gravity effects time (or the physical process)

radiation clock affected by gravity

how do we see stars so far away if the universe is young??

simple answer is that the gravity affecting the 'time' of this bodies was less, allowing them to speed up.
Brian
Sep 06, 2010 Brian added it
Shelves: religion
Pretty interesting origin theory based on general relativity that seems to support a creationist model. I would have to read a lot more in this field to be able to render an educated verdict. But I found this book easy to follow and thought provoking.
Brandon
This book was full of lots of interesting ideas, but it indirectly led me to one conclusion: I'm not a physicist. Still, in the event I start writing some science fiction, I will undoubtably utilize some of the thoughts in this book.
Monte Malenke
Interesting ideas but seems to wrap scripture around those ideas rather than the other way around. See Gorman Gray's "Age of the Universe: What are the Biblical Limits" for an excellent and thorough review in an appendix.
Frode
It was a mix of lay language and astrophysics. He makes an interesting case for proving the 6 day creation scenario; it made sense to me.
Amy
Jan 31, 2011 Amy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Amy by: my advanced-physics teacher
The first two chapters were fantastic, but the rest of the book was filled with Humphrey's more technical papers.
Paul Lawrence
a fascinating examination of scientific reasons why there could be a young earth with old starlight.
Josh Anderson
Mindblowing...
Crystal P.
Crystal P. marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Bigphatpastor
Bigphatpastor is currently reading it
Aug 21, 2014
Richard
Richard is currently reading it
Jul 06, 2014
Andy Anderson
Andy Anderson marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Fivewincs
Fivewincs marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014