Sideshow

Sideshow (Arbai #3)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  1,161 ratings  ·  42 reviews
On the planet of Elsewhere, the Council hadalways enforced the governing of each province inthe manner the people had chosen, so long as eachrespected its neighbors' local customs--and so longas the people remained within their homelands.Generations later, inhabitants have begun to questionthis tradition. The Council has receivedmysterious messages and reports of strange m...more
Published February 1st 1993 by Spectra (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Sideshow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sideshow

Angela
Another excellent piece of work from Ms. Tepper. The characters make some interesting sociological comments which have bearing on today's current events. I found this exchange (slightly edited for brevity) particularly pertinent :

Bertran commented in a dry voice, "...In our world there were a number of smallish countries ruled by unpleasant types, and our country occasionally invaded one of them to set something right..."

"Killing numerous innocent bystanders in the process," snapped Nela.

"......more
Delicious Strawberry
I read this after reading Grass, and was pleased to note a couple of familiar names and faces. Personally, this is one of my favorite of Ms. Tepper's works, and the commentary on religion and tolerance amidst various barbaric practices in this book make it a worthwhile read.

This book would have achieved 5 stars if it wasn't for the Tepper-style deuz ex machina that I have come to expect from her books. This one wasn't as obvious or contrived as some of her other books (Family Tree, The Visitor,...more
Peter
Wonderful ideas story telling could be better, 5 stars on the idea and social criticism level, 3 stars on the charters who are developed and then neglected in favor of various axes which she grinds quite well
Isabel
Elsewhere, lit by one middle-sized yellow sun and accompanied by a scattered handful of heavy little planets and moons. Elsewhere, which had been set up--so said Council Supervisory--as the last refuge of humanity from enslavement by the Hobbs Land Gods, that botanical plague that had swept across the galaxy over a millennia before, bringing, so it was said, slavish conformity in its wake.
Some of the urgency had seeped out of that claim over the centuries, during which time Elsewhere had remaine
Renee Wolcott
This, the final book in the Arbai series, was something of a disappointment. Tepper can be somewhat strident in her advocacy for a human race that has enough empathy for the rest of the universe that it stops behaving like the center of said universe. While I agree with her in principle, I sometimes wish she used a little more subtlety in her storytelling, a chisel instead of a sledgehammer. In this final volume of the Arbai trilogy, the last humans who have rejected complete empathy hide themse...more
Kate
I don't know why only gave this a three star on my previous read as I was completely entranced this time around. Sideshow rounds off the Marjorie Westriding sequence of books magnificently. Tepper's idea of humanity escaping the Hobbs Land Gods because they suppressed diversity is fascinating, and the themes of intolerance masked as tolerance and religious extremism masked as human diversity are very apt for the world that we currently live in. And unlike some of the Tepper books that come after...more
Dodie Reed
I found this book a little slow and almost put it down after the first few pages, but I know that Tepper is a very good writer so I decided to keep on and I'm so glad I did.

The overall sstory is about a band of "Enforcers" and their friends that are trying to find "dragons" that have been seen in a far land. They must go through several countries that have very different cultures. No one is allowed to move from one country to another because it would upset the "diversity" of the country. The En...more
Sara
I jumped directly from "Grass" to this novel for some odd reason, but I was able to pick up the characters from the previous book.

The world-building and anthropological details in Tepper's novels continue to astound me. They are not easy reads, but are works of speculative genius.
Besha
I like Tepper a lot; The Gate to Women’s Country and Gibbon’s Decline and Fall seared themselves into my adolescent brain and I think I’m better for it. I largely agree with the moral philosophy she espouses in her writing, and she tells a damn fine story. That said, one can only take so much preaching against worst-case-scenario political correctness and cultural relativism, so many straw-man bad guys who destroy the environment and perpetrate violence upon women, so much agenda, before one sta...more
Stan Pedzick
Beth
Among other things, a really nice satire of ineffectual international organizations and cultural relativism gone way too far. You have to wonder if we would be better off going the way of the Hobbs Land Gods. The poem Tepper includes at the beginning is also interesting:

"Man

craven and brave
freak of fashion
and custom's s...more
Mary
For decades I could only find the one book by Tepper Grass, but around 2002 I started to locate others and read them .... totally out of order.

Ms Tepper writes using the same characters and totally different ones; she refers to previous and later stories and also things I have not read yet (will they appear?) but the main thing I find on finishing a book like this is a sense of the best humanity can be and it's converse; although sometimes the humanity is of course displayed by an alien.
Jen Marin
Tepper makes me think. I love hert fascinating future worlds that investigate the real issues of survival that face humanity today. This book, in particular, looks at how good ideas can mutate over time into trouble and chaos. Tolerance and diversity are good values, but sometimes holding on to what makes us different than others can drive us apart rather than bring us together. Sometimes it is important to decide what parts of our past are worth hanging on to and what is worth letting go of.

If...more
Mary Holland
The third and weakest of the Arbai trilogy. This is the culmination of the story begun in Grass and then Raising the Stones. None of the characters are as realistic or compelling as in the first two, and the plot creaks a bit. The Siamese twins Nella and Bertram are probably the most sympathetic characters, although Fringe Owldark may be intended as a heroine. The very characteristics that make her Tepper's heroine tend to push the reader away. There are some extremely good sections, particularl...more
Tal
Elsewhere is the only planet that hasnt been taken over by the Hobbs Land Gods. it is a planet where diversity is protected and cherished.

but...there is something wrong on Elsewhere...

an interesting read, with a predictable ending but it's really not about the end but about the journey - the interwoven stories and the careful clue-dropping. the examination of ideas such as diversity and what happens to minds trapped for too long without corporeal existance or reality's touchstones.
Ann
"Sideshow" isn't my favorite Tepper book -- it's a bit too convoluted, and the plot meanders about and doesn't quite ring true -- but it's still a pretty satisfying read, with all the requisite plot points that a Tepper novel encompasses. This is the second time I've read it; I did actually enjoy it more this time around. Next time I'll try all three of the Arbai Trilogy ("Grass," which I love, "Raising the Stones," which I don't quite remember, and "Sideshow") all in a row.
Zack Hiwiller
While "Raising the Stones" was the best of the trilogy, I still enjoyed this quite a bit. Tepper reuses some of her plot points and can at times be a bit hand-wavy, but the societies she creates are just compelling. Unlike the first two, which were largely independent, you do need some knowledge of the events of those stories before jumping into this, even though it is set centuries later.
Albion
I have totally mixed feelings for this book. Parts of it I really enjoyed, being excellently written and full of wonderful ideas. But other parts were messy and frustrating. In all, a book that could have done with another draft and could easily have been quite excellent. But alas, it is not excellent, rather it is good and well worth the read if already kinda interested.
Jeannie
More people should be talking about Sheri Tepper! I was searching the SciFi section of a used bookstore in Alexandria VA when the clerk recommended this book and several other Sheri Teppers. Great advice! and my good luck to be there. Fresh and interesting view of a new world -and it's all about clash of cultures. Really liked it. Hope the rest are as good.
Joy
I once survived reading Sheri Tepper.cr1992. "free will and th reality God...to decide if complete tolerance and leaving others alone is ever evil..what they should do if it is" Planet of Elsewhere,each respected its neighbors local customs..stay in their homelands..arrival of the Hobbs Land gods. Oh, great dragon,will they come again"
Alayne
This was the first Sheri Tepper book I read, and it sucked me in to reading as many of her books as I can get my hands on. Now I have the kindle, it's a lot cheaper! A very intriguing introduction to a fantastic author. She handles common issues in a far future environment, making for quite thought provoking writing.
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
Another mind f from Ms. Tepper. I read this story and thought, WTF? This is a prison/zoo, not a preservation of cultures. The meaning of the title suddenly becomes apparent. As all Ms. Tepper books do, I'm vaguely discomforted and question some of the practices I see in life. Another winner for me.
Pat
I had a very hard time getting interested in the characters and plot. The concept of the planet Elsewhere could have been developed more. As it was, it was only a backdrop and never came to life. If this had been the first book I'd read by Sheri Tepper, I probably wouldn't read another one.
Thoraiya
I love this book. This is the 3rd time I've read it. I'll read it again. I don't think I'd read "Raising the Stones" the last time I read "Sideshow," so some bits made more sense this time! But the underlying philosphies are powerful and intelligent, and that hasn't changed.
Mckinley
Didn't realize this was loosely part of a triology. I was reading along and thought wait, I 've read this name before. So you don't have to read these altogether. Enjoyable, just not one of my favorites by her.
Kathleen Dixon
No memory of this whatsoever, yet I can vaguely recall the one I read the year before. That must mean that I didn't enjoy this as much, or at least that it didn't make such an impact.
Lauren
Yes, there's a deus ex machina, almost literally in this case, but it works in counterpoint with the solution devised by the other characters so it's not too abrupt.
Leslie
Book 3 of the Grass trilogy... This is my least favorite of the three. Good solid fantasy but the main ideas a bit repetitive from the first 2 books.
Anshilton
AMAZING! Oh, such interesting cultural explorations, on gender, groupthink, religion, archetypes. Great puzzle, great characters, really different.
Kristen
I've enjoyed this one more on rereadings than I did the first time; Tepper's ability to describe multiple societies is impressive.
  • Daughter of Elysium
  • The Summer Queen (The Snow Queen Cycle, #3)
  • Promised Land
  • Intervention (Intervention #1-2)
  • Beggars Ride (Sleepless, #3)
  • The Judas Rose (Native Tongue #2)
  • Vazkor, Son of Vazkor (Birthgrave, #2)
  • The World Before (Wess'Har Wars, #3)
  • Fairyland
  • Gods and Pawns (Company)
  • A Million Open Doors (Giraut #1)
  • The Embedding
  • Ash Ock (The Paratwa Saga, Book 2)
20560
Sheri Stewart Tepper is a prolific American author of science fiction, horror and mystery novels; she is particularly known as a feminist science fiction writer, often with an ecofeminist slant.

Born near Littleton, Colorado, for most of her career (1962-1986) she worked for Rocky Mountain Planned Parenthood, where she eventually became Executive Director. She has two children and is married to Gen...more
More about Sheri S. Tepper...
The Gate to Women's Country Grass (Arbai, #1) Beauty The Family Tree Raising the Stones