Start by marking “Wet Work” as Want to Read:
Wet Work

Wet Work

Charlie Becker, a defense contractor in control of America's biggest conglomerates, unleashes his own private army of experts on the job when his granddaughter, Tasha, dies of a drug overdose. Reprint.
Published January 30th 1991 by Knopf

To ask other readers questions about Wet Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wet Work

Lori
Oct 24, 2007 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2007november
Turns out Buckley can ably handle genres other than his trademark satire. Admittedly, though, snark plays a pretty solid role in this "thriller" (as it's billed).

Wet Work is a bloody, tongue-often-firmly-in-cheek revenge story. Many of the characters are just as over the top as any of my Buckley faves. The bad guys are sympathetic, the good guys (aka the government) are bumbling and the action never stops.

Fun, quick read.

MacK
Sep 02, 2013 MacK rated it did not like it
Shelves: am-lit
I was surprised to find the emotionality train being driven so recklessly by another of my favorite authors: Christopher Buckley. A sharp-witted satirist, Buckley has a score of books that skewer political hot potatoes [health policy in Thank You For Smoking, social security in Boomsday, the mid-east in Florence of Arabia]. Each book has chortle worthy moments and a combative core that forces your intellect to challenge preconceived notions.

So when I spotted one of his earliest novels, Wet Work,
Sandy
Nov 05, 2010 Sandy rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, suspense
After reading several of Buckley’s political satires, this one came as a bit of a surprise. It’s the story of a self-made billionaire whose smotheringly protective love for his granddaughter, a budding stage actress, can’t save her from a cocaine overdose. Knowing she wasn’t a drug user, he sees past the “evidence” and goes on a crusade of revenge, mowing down the entire chain of those who supplied the cocaine. A subplot with a DEA agent melds nicely with the main story. Towards the end of the b ...more
Gordon
Jun 06, 2008 Gordon rated it it was ok
Not equal to any of his other books I've read. This is a violent mystery without the strength of a Matt Helm. In places it is funny because Buckley has an unfailing eye and an excellent ear for idiocy, and the bureaucracy put in place by the Great Communicator to deal with our war on drugs is nothing if not funny. Buckley obviously feels that drugs are a problem. Like Twain, another satirist who lost his sense of humor, Buckley creates a Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court with his main ch ...more
Nancy
Sep 30, 2012 Nancy rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller
Like his father, William F. Buckley, this author is so gifted that he couldn't really write a bad book, but this just doesn't have the wit and verve of his more successful political satires.

The senior Buckley wrote clever and engrossing spy novels inspired by his own experience in the CIA. Wet Work suffers in comparison to those, as well as the younger Buckley's other work. In fairness, if this book was written by someone else I probably would have given it another star, but I expect so much of
DWGibb
Sep 08, 2008 DWGibb rated it liked it
Saw Christopher Buckley interviewed on TV. Very amused and amusing man. Son of Buckley Jr. Wet work is a term used by gangsters for up close and personal hits, presumably referring to the resulting spatter. Hence the title.

Extravagantly wealthy man loses his beloved granddaughter to an overdose of cocaine. Decides to liquidate those key individuals who were responsible and works his way up the food chain to the top dealer. Final showdown takes place near the source of the Amazon River.

Off-handed
Jane
Feb 28, 2009 Jane rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Good early novel, Buckley combines action with his trademark humor. His ability to capture speech -- especially the cadence of his former employer, the first President Bush -- brings light wit to an otherwise dark and disturbing premise.
Phillip
Oct 19, 2007 Phillip rated it it was amazing
Buckley writes more than his fantastic satire. This fiction is very good. About a man who spends his fortune to track down the 'murderers' of his only granddaughter--killed by drug use. I thought it a great read.(and see my review of Maximilian and Juarez).
Arlene
Jul 21, 2008 Arlene rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009-read
I really love this guy's work.

I really thought this was going to be a slow moving book. and it was only in the beginning.. and then it all came together amazingly. the last 200 pages, I couldn't put it down. loved loved loved this book! :)
Adam
Nov 30, 2007 Adam rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2007
Interesting revenge book. A bit of Tom Clancy with a sense of humor (and some of Buckley's satire on DC, which is always good).

And interesting to have a book in which you couldn't really say there's a good guy.
Joe Faust
Jun 29, 2011 Joe Faust rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, thriller
Thriller that comes off the rails at the end.
Angie
Feb 14, 2008 Angie rated it liked it
Not his best. I prefer when he writes more about the government. But still a great book.
Brian
Feb 17, 2016 Brian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Wet Work" is an early book of Christopher Buckley's, and it shows. It is also very hard to find, and so I am assuming it is out of print. The novel is entertaining, at times, but it is not as gripping as some other Buckley books I have read. It is also about 30 pages too long. Frankly, it is a story I could have walked away from and felt no remorse.
"Wet Work" is essentially a revenge fest in the vein of Shakespeare's early play "Titus Andronicus", and like that early work of the Bard it suffers
Jack
Aug 09, 2016 Jack rated it it was ok
One of Buckley's earlier works, and frankly it shows. He has yet to develop that wonderfully smart-ass Washington-insider voice that makes his later books such a delight. Basically, this is young Buckley trying to write a Carl Hiassen novel - drugs, violence, mayhem, slightly less than intelligent agents working at hilarious cross-purposes. It's entertaining, but slightly rancid popcorn.

The plot is wonderfully baroque, in a fashion that suggests his future success in much-better novels like THAN
Molly Elder
Aug 05, 2011 Molly Elder rated it really liked it
Because my husband brought this one home from the library and the title sounded uninviting, I was reluctant to pick it up. Once I did, however, it was very difficult to put down. The plot is interesting with many twists and turns, and the good guys are sometimes the bad guys and visa-verse.
Also, the ending is a really great touch.
One thing that I liked most about this novel is the reality that it exposed about the United States managing its image at the cost of real moral resolve. Also, the book
grundoon
Oct 22, 2014 grundoon rated it liked it
I love Christopher Buckley. Apparently I do not love early Christopher Buckley. Or at least not when I was in the mood for his what-I-thought-was-trademark humor. Admittedly it does eventually make a bit of a low key appearance, and there's nothing particularly wrong with this work... it's simply a story of uber-rich man attempting to exact revenge, neither its theme nor somewhat disjointed presentation able to hold my interest.
Jessica
Oct 13, 2009 Jessica rated it did not like it
Tasula
Jul 06, 2016 Tasula rated it really liked it
I enjoyed all the Christopher Buckley books I've read. This one is a bit darker than the others. It's about a man whose granddaughter dies of an overdose, in suspicious circumstances. It starts off fairly quietly, but soon turns into a runaway train as the man tries to trace the drug up to its source, with mayhem along the way. Reminds me of this author's work- The Blonde.
Suleman Ali
May 29, 2013 Suleman Ali rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
Wet Works follows a powerful yet shady criminal overlord as he seek revenge for the death of his granddaughter... leading him across America and eventually, south to Latin America.

Though still funny throughout, this wasnt one of Buckley's better books, maybe because it moved away from his natural home of American politics. It didnt really stick out in any special way and though enjoyable, didnt have me turning page after page like his other works.

Not bad, but nothing special either.
Emily
Aug 13, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
i just love him! i can see where he started the political satire. i love what he's done with his current books but it was nice to understand the progression.
Stevan
Aug 22, 2012 Stevan added it
Excellent.
Hunter S. Thompson, Harold Robbins would be proud.
Tyler
Aug 20, 2012 Tyler added it
Typical crazy Chris Buckley. Just like his dad, but sillier.
Jan 09, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it
Too many guns and drugs to be Discworld, but if you squint you can kinda see the similarities in style.
Jake
Apr 01, 2013 Jake rated it it was amazing
For his early work, this is great Christopher Buckley.
Glen
Aug 10, 2011 Glen rated it really liked it
An exciting read - a different take than his normal work
Robertbyron22
Robertbyron22 rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2013
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2013
Edwinian Lim
Edwinian Lim rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2015
Chris Clemmow
Chris Clemmow rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2017
Ellen Loulou
Ellen Loulou rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2013
  • The Story of Henri Tod
  • Essays in Biography
  • Fragments of a Journal
  • The Devil's Race-Track: Mark Twain's Great Dark Writings
  • Under Cover of Daylight (Thorn, #1)
  • Stash
  • All the Trouble in the World
  • The Boz: confessions of a modern anti-hero
  • Nam-A-Rama
  • An Incomplete and Inaccurate History of Sport: . . .and Other Random Thoughts from Childhood to Fatherhood
  • Quiller Bamboo
  • Running for My Life: My Journey in the Game of Football and Beyond
  • The Vampire Princess
Christopher Buckley graduated cum laude from Yale University in 1976. He shipped out in the Merchant Marine and at age 24 became managing editor of Esquire magazine. At age 29, he became chief speechwriter to the Vice President of the United States, George H.W. Bush. Since 1989 he has been founder and editor-in-chief of Forbes Life magazine.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Good
More about Christopher Buckley...