4th of July, Asbury Park

4th of July, Asbury Park

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  10 reviews
When Bruce Springsteen called his first album "Greetings from Asbury Park," he introduced a generation of fans to a fallen seaside resort town that came to represent working-class American life. Starting with the town's founding as a religious promised land, music journalist and poet Daniel Wolff plots a course through Asbury Park's 130 years of entwined social and musical...more
Published December 11th 2008 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published July 4th 2005)

Christine
Asbury Park was my main haunt while I lived in New Jersey. The first time I drove through Asbury Park, it was just surreal. The rusted, unfinished skeleton of a highrise condo loomed out of an eerie fog rolling in off the ocean. The place was a mess, the decaying remains of a Victorian-era amusement park and resort town.

I loved it. It was full of broken dreams and bad deals. It reminded me of Cleveland.
Rich
If you have an interest in history, music, the New Jersey Shore (sans Snooky and The Situation), capitalism, segregation, Puritanism, racial issues, religion, Stephen Crane, literature, Asbury Park, urban renewal, municipal government, political corruption, Bruce Springsteen, or the tragedy and vacuousness of American values and hope, I'd highly recommend this book.
Jeff
This is an interesting read about the history of Asbury Park, how it came to be, and it's slow and steady collapse. There are some definite oddities to the town yet it also sounds like many other boomtowns across the USA.
E
Eloquent and depressing, about a city that has captured my imagination. Slightly more dry than I would prefer, but overall fascinating and thoroughly researched.
Mkmsales
Fascinating info on a place I visited often. Adds a different perspective on events I saw from way outside. Very insightful.
Christopher
Growing up in an area in economic, physical, and social decline, "you gotta get out while you're young."
Mary Clark
I loved this book! great weaving of local Jersey shore history, music history and social history.
J
A wonderful history of what Asbury Park always aspired to be but never quite managed.
Sharon
Sharon is currently reading it
Apr 02, 2014
Bill B
Bill B added it
Jan 04, 2014
Felina
Felina marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 12, 2013
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2013
Kevin
Kevin added it
Oct 09, 2013
Barbara Strate
Barbara Strate marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2013
Rachael
Rachael marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2013
Laure
Laure marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2013
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2013
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2013
Lisa
Lisa added it
Jun 18, 2013
DEL
DEL marked it as to-read
May 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Grammy-nominated author Daniel Wolff's latest book is "The Fight for Home: How (Parts of) New Orleans Came Back." His previous books include "How Lincoln Learned to Read,""4th of July/Asbury Park" and "You Send Me: The Life and Times of Sam Cooke.""
More about Daniel Wolff...
How Lincoln Learned to Read: Twelve Great Americans and the Educations That Made Them The Fight for Home: How (Parts of) New Orleans Came Back Negro League Baseball You Send Me: The Life And Times Of Sam Cooke Work Sonnets