Start by marking “What It Takes to Be Number One” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
What It Takes to Be Nu...

Vince Lombardi Jr.

What It Takes to Be Number One

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  341 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Legendary leadership lessons from the greatest football coach of all time

Leadership continues to be one of the most trained-for skills in business today. And no figure so fully embodies the leadership qualities managers hope to cultivate in their professional and personal lives than Vince Lombardi, the greatest NFL coach of all time.

In "What It Takes to Be #1," author Vinc
Paperback
Published (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about What It Takes to Be Number One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What It Takes to Be Number One

Michael Watson
Jan 23, 2011 Michael Watson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book opened my eyes on what it takes to be a leader and how to achieve success. If you want to be the greatest at your game you have to dedicate yourself to that cause and let nothing get in your way. To achieve greatness mental attitude and the will to do anything are always going to have to be better than the competition.
David Glad
This was a decent quick book by his son (not really junior given a different middle name, but called himself such to avoid confusion) and he is right that his father's legacy does shine over people who were born well after he died. From all accounts, he would have been an excellent influence on all those who knew him.

Many good lines in this book, including:
The Jesuits believed that humans could perfect themselves through hard work and dedication to excellence, principles that guided Lombardi for
Jeff
Apr 05, 2015 Jeff rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hate hate hate this book. It is repetitive and preachy in the worst way. And it involves the Packers, a team that I hate almost as much as the Cubs. If my boss didn't make me read it I would have hurled it as far from me as I could. No human should ever be subjected to the life lessons regurgitated by Lombardi's son. Don't do it. The End.
Roy Peek
May 22, 2015 Roy Peek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Book on leadership and what it takes to be successful at any business. Very simple concepts but this book outlines how simple it can be made and how following these guidelines will help all leaders. I believe this book is for anyone that is interested in leadership be it coaching, youth sports or higher levels and for business leaders. First Line Managers Business Owners and C level executives.

For all business leaders, or those who aspire to leadership, What It Takes to Be #1 is a gam
Dante
May 24, 2012 Dante rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What it takes to be number one By: Vince Lombardi and Vince Lombardi jr.. what does it take to be number 1? Winner of five championships and super bowl one and two. Green bay Packers coach Vince Lombardi, no single name in football history communicates with such strong visions, disipline,commitment, and of coursewinning. his secrets to winning are very well written in this book. What it Takes To Be Number One is based on Vince's most famous speech and provides a game plan for you to be a winner ...more
Roberto
Feb 20, 2014 Roberto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read full of quotes and ideas to help you discover the leader within you. The book is actually by Lombardi's son, however there are plenty quotes from his father. This is a quick read, that engages your thinking power from the beginning, and helps you set a course of action throughout the book. After reading it I feel empowered that I too can become a successful leader, whether be in my organization, community, family, etc.
Bob Wallner
I'm not sure really what I was expecting with this Audiobook. I found it very difficult to keep my attention. The narrator was good, the content was good, I learned a little bit. I liked the commentary on Winning isn't everything It's the only thing.

Maybe I was just expecting more of a biography or more in Lombardi's own words. Or maybe it was just "good".

It's short so it may warrant a relisten down the road.

Aaron Bolin
Vince, Jr. is very disorganized as he describes his legendary father's leadership style. Although there are a few choice nuggets and interesting anecdotes, this juice wasn't worth the squeeze.
Simen Karset
My key takeaway: You must lead by being the best version of yourselves. True leaders are unique, and uniqueness comes from within.
David Lokietz
Jan 09, 2016 David Lokietz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
A good capture of what made Lombardi a success directly from his son! Well worth the read...
Marc
Aug 28, 2016 Marc rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short enjoyable book. Many items discussed have applicable value to everyday situations
The Scrivener's Quill
There is a lot of great information in here and plenty of quotes by the father. The son however made this book a bit longer than it needed to be apparently using his dad as far as he could. I could say this in other less admiring ways, but I don't get the impression that the son is overtly exploiting his father. It just starts to happen towards the end, or at least that is how it feels.
Brian
Jan 15, 2008 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wish it was longer..But what I learned from this quick read is "Continuous Renewal". That is to say that every day from the day that you identify your goal, or what it is you want to strive for you should be taking steps in that direction...renewing the path and keeping your eyes focused to what you want....every day.
Maggie
Apr 21, 2009 Maggie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting book about leadership and the great Vince Lombardi. This book mainly talked about leadership qualities and tips to becoming a good leader. If you want to read a book about Vince Lombardi I would suggest finding his autobiography instead of this book.
Sharice
Feb 21, 2012 Sharice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great book. I like when he writes Lombardi believed in No excuses. His three steps for building accountability were: 1. Let players know exactly what is expected of them (paint the picture). 2. Give them the tools to succeed And 3. Get out of their way.
Sandra
Jan 18, 2008 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Filled with great leadership insights and great stories about how an ordinary coach excelled while others haven't. I really like Lombardi Jr's style of writing. It's a layman's look at football leadership. Worth the read if you are into leadership.
Malinda F.
Aug 15, 2012 Malinda F. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a favorite I come back to each year. It is written by Vince Lombardi, Jr. and weaves Vince Lombari's story through the filter of his great leadership skills and principles.
Jack
Feb 19, 2011 Jack rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-improvement
Written by Vince Jr. Still good insight into his father's ideals, drive and success, but would have been better if it could have been written by the man himself.
Sarah Senft
Jun 07, 2011 Sarah Senft rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!! I hought it was very interesting to read about his life. I hope my life will be half as good as his but, I don't want to die young.
Troy Kuhn
Ok book that is an interpretation of the great Lombardi's son. Not the way I would expect to get things if written by the football guru himself
Michelle
Feb 21, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2008
Great book on leadership principles. And if you're a sports fan, you'll get something out of it too. Who doesn't love Vince Lombardi? :)
Linda
Apr 30, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership, sports
I thought this was going to be a book about football, but it was so much more. A great book on leadership.
Amy
Jul 16, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the last books I read in school. I still have, and remember it. It is great for leadership.
DaraB
Aug 13, 2010 DaraB rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Work Book. Contains Lombardi's famous speech and other anecdotes.
Aimee
Apr 22, 2008 Aimee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book on leadership and winning! It is also a quick easy read.
Rachel
Jul 22, 2008 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read about leadership and different styles.
Becks
Dec 14, 2012 Becks rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership, biography
It was alright, not what I was hoping for.
Lorilewis
Feb 14, 2011 Lorilewis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring. Must read book for leaders.
Desi herrera
Jan 31, 2008 Desi herrera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sports fans
Very sport specific. Motivational
  • Divine and Human: And Other Stories by Leo Tolstoy
  • Success Is a Choice: Ten Steps to Overachieving in Business and Life
  • Little Green Book of Getting Your Way: How to Speak, Write, Present, Persuade, Influence, and Sell Your Point of View to Others
  • Robert E. Lee on Leadership: Executive Lessons in Character, Courage, and Vision
  • Leadership Axioms: Powerful Leadership Proverbs
  • The 17 Essential Qualities of a Team Player: Becoming the Kind of Person Every Team Wants
  • Beyond the Limits: A Woman's Triumph on Everest
  • I Wonder as I Wander: An Autobiographical Journey
  • The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar
  • Beware the Naked Man Who Offers You His Shirt: Do What You Love, Love What You Do, and Deliver More Than You Promise
  • When You Come to a Fork in the Road, Take It!: Inspiration and Wisdom from One of Baseball's Greatest Heroes
  • How Great Generals Win
  • One Soldier's Story: A Memoir
  • The Gift
  • Stories
  • The Next Millionaires
  • Positive Words, Powerful Results: Simple Ways to Honor, Affirm, and Celebrate Life
  • Churchill on Leadership: Executive Success in the Face of Adversity

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

“We live in an age fit for heroes. No time has ever offered such perils or prizes. Man can provide a full life for humanity – or he can destroy himself with the problems he has created. The test of this century will be whether man confuses the growth of wealth and power with the growth of spirit and character.…” 1 likes
“Lombardi works you so hard,” Knafelc once said, “that when he tells you to go to hell, you look forward to the trip.” 0 likes