Start by marking “Kissing Kilimanjaro: Leaving It All on Top of Africa” as Want to Read:
Kissing Kilimanjaro: Leaving It All on Top of Africa

Kissing Kilimanjaro: Leaving It All on Top of Africa

3.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  140 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Kissing Kilimanjaro Mount Kilimanjaro is sometimes called "Everyman's Everest" because it is possible for a novice climber to reach the summit. And every year, more than 30,000 adventure tourists try. But for each person who goes to the mountain, there are thousands more who chat about it at cocktail parties, making plans to go...someday. Full description
Published October 3rd 2010 by Mountaineers Books (first published September 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Kissing Kilimanjaro, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kissing Kilimanjaro

Miranda
Jan 26, 2015 Miranda rated it it was amazing
I read this a few months after making it to Uhuru Peak myself, and it is really a great comparison to my own experience with Kilimanjaro. It brought me back to the paths of Machame, and made me realize that I wasn't alone in my experience. From the scenery to the internal struggle of summit night, it truly struck home! I really enjoyed when he spoke of how special Tanzania is, and how easy it is to fall in love with the lifestyle, the people, and their culture. Some of the simple things he exper ...more
Jessica
Feb 19, 2014 Jessica rated it liked it
I think book is more enjoyable to those familiar with the Kilimanjaro hike and not those who are about to embark on the trip. I read this on the plane home and could relate to a lot of what was in it, and as such, I enjoyed the author's stories of his climb. On the other hand, it became laborious to read once it became clear that he was going to go on to describe a SECOND attempt to reach the summit. By the time it got to that point, I was ready for the story to be over. (Side note: I think it's ...more
Patricia Murphy
Jan 05, 2012 Patricia Murphy rated it did not like it
Shelves: travel
I hope climbing Kilimanjaro is less painful than reading this book.
Emily
Aug 02, 2011 Emily rated it it was amazing
Kissing Kilimanjaro: Leaving It All on Top of Africa by Daniel Dorr was thoroughly entertaining and informative. I bought it based on something I rarely ever do: I read the first two paragraphs only. You can read a larger excerpt if you click on the book title a few sentences ago. Here is what hooked me:

"I used to wonder what would ever possess someone to trudge up a mountainside on the far sides of the planet, into harsh, frigid winds and thin air, thousands of feet above sea level. For decades
Happyreader
Aug 01, 2011 Happyreader rated it it was ok
Props for being brutally honest about how difficult the altitude was to bear above 15,000 ft and for so lovingly portraying his soon-to-be wife. The climb portions of the book were interesting – but it’s only about 1/3 of the book. The rest of the book is kind of a tough slog. Perhaps this is intentional to mirror how tedious and dull (according to him) the summit climb is? Too many petty details and recalled inane conversations. He’s not particularly kind about his climbing companions, especial ...more
Robert Taylor
Jul 19, 2014 Robert Taylor rated it really liked it
Shelves: fun
Fun read. Good self analysis of accomplishing a task that take stamina and commitment. Light reading.
Caroline
Mar 27, 2013 Caroline rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned-awful
Worst book I've attempted to read in a long time. Poorly written, douchey guy, blah.

Samples of the writing:
"All the victims had been underdressed for the harsh and constantly changing weather. This was a serious reminder to us that we were climbing a mountain"

"I was slowly realizing a little secret the mountaineer-writer Jon Krakauer never mentions: mountain climbing is actually pretty boring. At its core it's just hours and days of walking uphill"

"This was his job, his office. He could find h
April
Jul 11, 2013 April rated it really liked it
Shelves: won-on-goodreads
I won this book through Goodreads First Reads. Thanks to Mountaineers for listing this giveaway.

A really good inspirational read. Very detailed. It is very obvious the love the author feels not only for the mountain and the adventure but also for his wife. There were moments when it seemed too detailed, and I felt like I was going away from the compassionate part of the story. Overall though it was a book that made me feel inspired to travel and inspired to do things I never thought I could do.
Kelly
Nov 11, 2010 Kelly rated it liked it
I now know, for sure, I will not be attempting a summit of Kilimanjaro. Dorr does a great job of illustrating the truth of mountaineering: hours and hours of chucking one foot in front of the other in the dark to arrive at a summit one is too exhausted to enjoy.

It did reinforce my fascination with Africa. And the description of the culture of these corner of Africa was vivid and interesting.

Dedicated mountain climbers would probably give these 4-5 stars.
David
Jun 21, 2014 David rated it really liked it
Yes, I would like to climb Kilimanjaro. And yes, after reading this book, I still want to climb Kili. Sounds like traveling in Tanzania is an amazing experience as well!
Jeimy
Mar 07, 2013 Jeimy rated it really liked it
This was an eye-opening experience. This fit man couldn't make his first summit and went back to try again. His descriptions of the physical discomfort and pain and cold have been most useful in visualizing what I need to purchase for my climb and to make me realize that this hike will be physically and mentally exhaustive. Thankfully, I still have time to prepare.
John
Jul 09, 2012 John rated it liked it

Preparing to climb Kilimanjaro, so picked this up for additional insights. Reads mostly like a blog, However some good tidbits on equipment, Swahili language, and what to expect. While I tend toward the expert's perspective, interesting to hear that of a novice and how tough it can be for some. Hoping my experience is more enjoyable !
Kristin
Mar 20, 2012 Kristin rated it it was ok
Weird cover for a book on Kilimanjaro--didn't see a single giraffe up there. Anyway, what a lunatic. His descriptions are good, but writing is spotty...plus I can't imagine his wife putting up with this lunatic trying for Kilimanjaro not once but TWICE! hello, dude, have some Diamox. Okay, yeah, skip it.
Erin
Feb 05, 2013 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: adult, memoir
As someone who is hoping/planning to climb Kilimanjaro this summer, I found this memoir enjoyable, entertaining, and informative. I definitely dog-eared a few pages, that I will be returning to as I train this spring...some passages for inspiration, some for grounding in reality...
Barbara
Mar 05, 2011 Barbara rated it it was ok
Basically just a recitation of the facts. He attempted to climb Kili once with his fiance and failed. He went back a couple years later and summited. He includes some discussion of the Tanzanians he met and the local travel conditions, but it's very much on the surface.
Heather
Jan 16, 2011 Heather rated it it was ok
It was a little misleading...it wasn't really about impressing a girl. I wont give it all away, but I did a better job of climbing that mountain. The author also went on quite a few tangents that took the book a bit off track.
Jane
Oct 31, 2011 Jane rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Eh... entertaining everyman's tale of climbing Kilimanjaro. Some funny bits and some detail-overload, but overall a quick read that anyone who likes hiking or the outdoors will get a kick out of.
Lisa Kim
Jun 20, 2013 Lisa Kim rated it liked it
hoping for a more successful climb than Dorr's for my first go around. an informative and sobering account of the actual climb, but i was less enthralled about the rest of the book.
Jeannie
Feb 01, 2011 Jeannie rated it really liked it
If this isn't a Jeannie book, I don't know what is - adventure/travel and some humor. It fell a little flat (the plot, not the climber) at times, but an enjoyable quick read.
Crystal Scruggs
This book was amazing!!! It is a great inspiration. If I move closer to Africa I wonder if Jason would want to climb Kili again but, with me :)
Susan
Feb 15, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it
This book is great! I love how it describes the travels in Eastern Africa, as well as many other things. It was just a fun, good read for me.
Darlene
Sep 27, 2011 Darlene rated it liked it
I won this book through Goodreads First Reads. I enjoyed learning a bit about Africa but this wasn't my most favorite book.
Natalie
Feb 22, 2012 Natalie rated it liked it
I read this to get ready to climb the mountain myself. It was informative and gave me a good idea of what I'm in for.
Kari
Dec 21, 2010 Kari rated it it was ok
I enjoyed reliving my Kili experience, but the author was self-obsessed and not a very good writer!
Celia
Sep 10, 2012 Celia rated it it was ok
Unfair depiction of Tanzania. Poorly written. Cheesy.
Cat
Cat marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Jemmi Huidekoper
Jemmi Huidekoper marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Deb
Deb rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Joe
Joe is currently reading it
Jun 10, 2016
Nirmal Patel
Nirmal Patel marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A Bolt from the Blue: The Epic True Story of Danger, Daring, and Heroism at 13,000 Feet
  • High Infatuation: A Climber's Guide to Love and Gravity
  • Forget Me Not: A Memoir
  • Kilimanjaro: One Man's Quest to Go Over the Hill
  • Three Hundred Zeroes: Lessons of the Heart on the Appalachian Trail
  • Sufferings in Africa: The Incredible True Story of a Shipwreck, Enslavement, and Survival on the Sahara
  • The Shadow of Kilimanjaro: On Foot Across East Africa
  • Kilimanjaro and Beyond: A Life-Changing Journey
  • Snowstruck: In the Grip of Avalanches
  • The Proving Ground: The Inside Story of the 1998 Sydney to Hobart Race
  • Eight Days in September - The Removal of Thabo Mbeki
  • True North: Peary, Cook, and the Race to the Pole
  • Ship for Brains
  • The Lion Sleeps Tonight
  • First in Thirst: How Gatorade Turned the Science of Sweat Into a Cultural Phenomenon
  • Luck: What It Means and Why It Matters