Start by marking “A Lighter Shade of Gray” as Want to Read:
A Lighter Shade of Gray

A Lighter Shade of Gray

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  33 reviews
What does it feel like to stare into the face of madness? Or to anticipate your own? Would you drive away your only love? Could you pretend it didn't matter? How far would you go to protect a friend, or to avenge a death?

Ten years ago, Devon gave up the love of her life, fearing she would one day fall victim to the mental illness that has slowly ravaged the mind of her mo
Published May 1st 2010 by Neverland Publishing Company LLC

To ask other readers questions about A Lighter Shade of Gray, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Lighter Shade of Gray

Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
This isn't the book you think it is. :) This book is a good lesson about life. It is about Devon Pearse's life....a life filled with sorrow and regret and a mother who began to develop mental illness when Devon was around twelve, but also a life with a loving father. Devon constantly was concerned about developing the same illness her mother suffered from.

The book takes you through her childhood - through love and tragedy - and moves to the present with Devon as an adult and with her continuing
Susan (The Book Bag)
This book has a lot going on. Let's see, there's a failed romance, a mother's mental illness and the fear that it could happen to the daughter, another mental patient that seems to be taking the daughter's place in the mother's mind, a best friend suspected of murder, and a detective who just won't give up until he has all the answers.

And these are just the main characters and story lines. Sound confusing? It's really not. The author does a fantastic job of weaving the stories and subplots toget
Monte Dutton
Devon Pearse doesn't pull her punches, tip off her pitches or telegraph her passes. A Lighter Shade of Gray is a passionate tale, and it mischievously leads the reader to assumptions that don't wind up panning out. Yet all is completely plausible, which, to these eyes, is this first-time novel's signature charm. The reader finds himself thinking "ah, so that's it" as "Gray" winds its way into his heart.
As the main character shares the author's name, this novel is partly autobiographical. It's eq
What an AMAZING debut! A Lighter shade of Gray tells the story of the author, Devon Pearse. It is an emotional, thought provoking and a riveting tale! I read it almost a month ago and I still can't stop thinking about it. It touched me in so many ways... Definitely one of my top 10 favorites! I am looking forward to reading more from Pearse in the future.
Sydney Bollinger
I initially decided to read this book because it is eligible for the Kindle Readers' Lending Library. I believed it would be a so-so story of a woman trying to find her way in life. I was wrong. "A Lighter Shade of Gray" by Devon Pearse was brilliant. It took you on an emotional whirlwind as the narrator told you about her love for her next-door neighbor's nephew, her mother illness, her best friend's run-in with the law, and her trying to find her way in the world. At times I found myself cryin ...more
Joe Font
I was completely blown away by the fine writing and plot of this beautiful novel.
By far, one of the best literary fiction novels I've ever had the pleasure of reading.
Devon Pearse is an unknown author now, but that will not be the case for long.
Mental illness. Friendship. Love. Murder. I like those books. A Lighter Shade of Gray by Devon Pearse has all three. And it's semi-autobiographical, which is why our main character is also named Devon. Throughout the book, I was wondering what was fact and what was fiction?

Devon gave up on love 10 years ago. Her mother has long battled mental illness, and Devon will do anything to avoid that path. I thought she sacrificed her own happiness out of fear. Yes mental illness is inherit
Amazing--This book has it all. Love-humor-life-madness-murder-reality written with exceptional detail. Once you start reading you don't want to put it down-- and it is a long book-but you will want it to go on forever-- always wanting more.
I loved the color imagery, and the journey of the daughter of a psychotic woman who wonders if that is in her future, and whose life choices drastically change because of that fear!
Characterized in the official descriptions as “semi-autobiographical,” I’ll leave it to you to decide which parts are true and which aren’t (your guess is as good as mine). I’ll often find that books I or someone else describes as “literary fiction,” like this one, show deftness with language (which this does), but have a story that isn’t that entertaining or that I care about. I’ll take a good mystery, thriller, or other genre fiction that uses plain language to tell a compelling story over muc ...more
Susan (The Book Bag)

I was intrigued when I read the description of a Lighter Shade of Grey by Devon Pearse and excited to be part of her book tour. The novel could actually be broken up into several stories. I enjoyed being swept up into the inner workings of the main character. However, I was frequently confused and had to stop several times to regroup and figure out where I was in relation to all of the stories that were unfolding. I know that the narrator was the connection between all the stories, but at severa ...more
Devon is caught in the past. A past before her mother slipped away into the gray mists of mental illness that has kept her hospitalized for over a decade. A past where three little girls ran and laughed and played, before one of them was killed before her sixteenth birthday. A past where Drew was always there waiting for her; the love she'd always imagined.

But the past's tendrils can't stand up to the forces of the present. The present where Devon has lived for over a decade without Drew, who sh
very good read

When I first started reading I thought to myself I wasn't going to like this book. The writing was so good though I kept reading and it became a book I couldn't wait to get home to continue reading.
Logan Carter
Emotionally charged page turner. Keeps you thinking. Contains a variety of elements, from romance and mystery, to mental illness and murder. A book in which most readers would find something to enjoy, no matter the genre they prefer. Great first offering from Ms. Pearse.

I received this book free through Goodreads. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. (I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guid
It took me a little while to get used to the style, but quite liked it- i also liked the quirky characters in the book, and even coped with devons decisions decision to drive her obviously perfect lover away, at least it was not a soppy lovestory, and the dilemma's are so real. What then proceeded to ruin the book, is the way the chracters solve the problem they find themselfs in, and the solution that turned into the ending was unbelievably constructed, it really undid all the good work of the ...more
Really I loved this book! It is well-written with such a beautiful use of language. Some of the descriptive phrases make you certain you can see, feel, smell whatever the words say. The main character, Dev, cries several oceans but is quick & witty when her eyes are dry. And, I confess, there were tears on this face from time to time. The characters are well developed and interesting. And there are a few twists and turns and some clever writing. Good editing & proofing. I enjoyed it!
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
Check out the full review at Kritters Ramblings

A Lighter Shade of Gray is a dramatic book that while the cast of characters was numbered, the plots were cumbersome. It is easy for the reader to fall in love with these characters fast, but while there were a few too many major plots going at the same time, I was also discouraged to see the story really pick up when it was almost halfway over.
Lynda Kelly
This wasn't for me. It was all too descriptive for my liking. I prefer a fiction book to be easier reading and broken up a bit more with dialogue. I'd only got a few pages in and clicked forward a little and it was pages and pages not really broken up so I had to pack it in. However, although too wordy for me the words ARE properly written which is more than can be said for a lot of e-books !!
I agree with several other readers. A very well written book - 1st or otherwise. Yes there are several threads to follow, and at the same time they are all interwoven beautifully. The characters feel real and it is lovely to learn at the end that some of the author's own experiences are part of this.

Definitely some life lessons to learn!
Ed Scott
Sorry to say that I read about half of the book and had to stop. I expected the book to be a murder mystery, but as of the middle, there wasn't anything about a murder. More of the author's story rather than what the book intro led me to believe. I know it was semi-autobiographical but was expecting more of a mystery plot line.
This book had no flow - there were too many things going on at once, a couple of which I felt were unresolved in the end or had nothing to do with any other element of the story. I couldn't wait for it to be over. Definitely not something I would recommend.
Cary Polkovitz
A beautifully written and utterly addictive book. I devoured its 460 pages in a few short days. The characters are engaging and completely realized. It is an incredibly personal reading experience told with a feeling of emotional honesty. I was captivated.
Kristy Matye
An amazing book. It really kept me in suspense and was a realistic story and characters that were easy to relate to. Very heart felt. Definitely recommend reading it!
Nancy E. Sawyer
Good read

would recommend highly. Enjoyed it and was amazed at how it ended. Little bit confused but still an interesting read.
I really liked this book. I was rooting for Devon. When I heard this book was part autobiography I really wanted to know more.
Val Wilkerson
Great job on your first book Devon!!
I will watch for your next.
This is a story about family, friendship, first love...
This book is good but somewhat predictable. Couldn't wait for the end but still couldn't put it down either.
This had more promise than I felt it delivered. And I generally prefer a happier ending.
  • Flings and Arrows
  • Enemy in Blue: The Chase (The Cruz Marquez Thrillers, #1)
  • Fake Kate
  • One Day, Someday
  • What Happened To Polly
  • Diary of a Mummy Misfit
  • A Higher Court: One Man's Search for the Truth of God's Existence
  • Child of Silence (Bo Bradley, #1)
  • The Dating intervention
Devon Pearse was born and raised in beautiful St. Augustine, Florida. As a child, she was surrounded by classic literary works and grew to love and cherish them as dear old friends. It was only natural that she would dream of one day being an author and joining the ranks of the creators of these other worlds, unforgettable characters and thought provoking prose.

Devon's writing has been described a
More about Devon Pearse...