Start by marking “The Broken Cat” as Want to Read:
The Broken Cat

The Broken Cat

There are times when hearing a familiar story -- even a story about how your mother fell and broke her arm when she was a little girl -- can be comforting. And so it was for Andy, and for his cat, Frank. Because the important thing is that injuries heal. When they have healed, they become stories -- and sometimes a story with a happy ending is exactly what is needed. If ...more
Published March 26th 2002 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about The Broken Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Broken Cat

Mary Sesar
Dec 15, 2011 Mary Sesar rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, family
This book is about a cat who is hurt and the family is waiting at the vet so that the cat can get checked. In the process of waiting, the grandmother and mother tell the little boy of the time the mother had broken her arm while riding the bike down a hill. They tell him how she got better to keep his spirits up about the cat getting better.
I think this book is a good read. It's a story inside of a story, which is pretty cool. It could teach children to look to the bright side of things and alwa
Josiah
May 07, 2015 Josiah rated it it was ok
An ailing feline with an unknown affliction is a big source of worry for any cat owner, and it's no different for young Andy when he brings his gray cat Frank to the veterinarian after the animal spends an uncharacteristically motionless night in bed, its lack of responsiveness causing Andy to wonder from time to time if Frank were even breathing. As Andy, his mother, Aunt Cookie, and Andy's grandmother wait in the lobby of the vet's office for Frank's turn to be evaluated, Andy seeks ...more
Karah Webb
Andy and his family were waiting in the waiting room of the veterinary clinic, and Andy asked his mom about the time she had broken her arm. Andy's mom, aunt, and grandma all helped tell the story about the broken arm. Andy's mom broke her arm when she was very young and she did not like the fact that she was "breakable." It actually scared her, but when all of her friends found out, she thought it was pretty cool to have a cast. At the end of their story, Frank, Andy's cat's name was called by ...more
Joanna
Apr 20, 2008 Joanna added it
Shelves: fiction, juvenile
I wanted to see if Lynne Rae Perkins' picture books were as lovely as her novels; this one is pretty sweet. She has a knack for realizing the sort of seemingly mundane details that become important in the stories we tell eachother. Here a woman and her mother are retelling their son/grandson a story from his mother's childhood:

"I cried the whole time he was putting on the splint and the cast and the sling. I wouldn't go in to the birthday party, even though they were having pizza."
"You were emba
Jayna
Aug 10, 2013 Jayna rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Ages 3 and up

While waiting at the vet's office, a mother tells her son the story of how she broke her arm as a child. The vet then tells the family that the cat has a wound on its head, but the cat, just like the mother, will heal and be just fine.

This would be a good book to recommend to a parent that needs to explain a hurt pet to their child. This would also be a good book to recommend for a parent whose child has broken a bone, as it discusses the whole process from the accident, to x-rays
May 27, 2009 Laura rated it liked it
I thought this was an interesting way to tell a story. I appreciated seeing the glimpses from the past and how the boy used it to comfort himself and his cat. I would probably recommend.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Kixie
Feb 16, 2012 Kixie rated it really liked it
This book tells the story of both a hurt cat and a hurt little girl, Andy's Mom, who recalls the things she felt and thought about breaking her arm when she was young. In the end, both she and Frank the cat turn out just fine after some time to heal. A good book for kids going through an injury/illness or with a pet, friend, or sibling who is.
Savannah
Jul 21, 2013 Savannah rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens
This book became confusing with all the different characters talking and it was just too much. I didn't like the back and forth between family members either about a memory that happened years prior. I did however like how this brought up a discussion for my boys and I about veterinarians and where animals go for injuries or visits to their doctor.
Ray
Feb 07, 2016 Ray rated it it was ok
Shelves: bedtime-stories
A story of healing and hope. While sitting at the vet concerned for their cat, the mom told a story of how she broke her arm and was afraid. Even though she was scared at the time everything turned out alright and there wasn't anything to be truly worried about.
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
A great book to share if you have an injured pet. A young boy sits in the vets office with his injured cat, while asking his mother, aunt and grandmother to recount the time his mother broke her arm. A very reassuring book on healing and injury for a child.
Susan
Dec 28, 2007 Susan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents to explain pets to vet
Shelves: picture-books-jp
child with injured cat at vet remembers with parents how it was when he broke his arm...tells cat story to comfort...and cat ends up treated by vet and all is well...good book for kids with injured pets or to explain in a comparative way doctors and vets
Kat
Oct 17, 2009 Kat rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
Got this at the library, my 3 year scanned the shelves and managed to find all cat books to take home that visit. It's about a little boy that needs to take his cat to the vet. Both my kids liked the book but I thought it was just okay.
elissa
Dec 07, 2008 elissa rated it really liked it
Funny but also serious. The poor, pathetic-looking cat on the cover has been bitten on the head by another cat (I don't think that's too much of a spoiler).
Rilla
Rilla rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2014
Jamie
Jamie rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2014
Phair
Feb 07, 2010 Phair rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Love that cover. Nice family bonding story as well as some good pet care information.
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2010
Brandi Shockley
Brandi Shockley rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2012
Lee Anne
Lee Anne rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2009
Courtney Mekkes
Courtney Mekkes rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2012
Amy Lee
Amy Lee rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2008
Meg Mims
Meg Mims rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2014
Amy Eikenberry
Amy Eikenberry rated it did not like it
Jan 26, 2012
Jim
Dec 10, 2011 Jim rated it liked it
Shelves: cats, medical
good explanation and reassurance about a cant's injury for elementary age kids
Jaymi Marie
Jaymi Marie rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2013
Lauren Milam
Lauren Milam rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2016
Bethany Spurlin
Bethany Spurlin rated it did not like it
Sep 09, 2013
Stacy Winsor
Stacy Winsor rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2014
Pinky
Pinky rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2013
Amber
Amber rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2015
Charlie loves "The Broken Cat" by Lynne Rae Perkins 1 0 May 15, 2007 12:32PM
Lynne Rae Perkins is the author of several novels, including her most recent Newbery Award winning book, Criss Cross. She enjoys working in her studio, being with friends, watching her kids grow, and watching her husband, Bill, chase their dog around town.
More about Lynne Rae Perkins...