Start by marking “The Last Lighthouse Keeper” as Want to Read:
The Last Lighthouse Keeper

The Last Lighthouse Keeper

From the presenter of 'How to be a Gardener' comes this entertaining novel.
Paperback
Published September 1st 2004 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Lighthouse Keeper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Lighthouse Keeper

Jackie
I liked this book, though it was predictable etc. Love the Cornish setting and Characters.
A nice, quick, don't have to think too much read.
Rho
Jan 21, 2017 Rho rated it really liked it
Beautiful story. Found it by accident at a used book sale. Boats, English coast, smuggling and the search for contentment and happiness
Srivilasica
Jan 02, 2017 Srivilasica rated it really liked it
A rather pleasant story, with quite a lot of references to boats and boatyards. That is to be expected when the hero (Will) is an out-of-work lighthouse keeper, who plans to sail the coast of England all by himself. He buys an old boat (which has an interesting story of its own) and is in the process of restoring it.
He meets an artist (Amy) who herself has bought an old building and turned it into a gallery. They fall in love but Will and Amy have their not-so-happy pasts to deal with before th
Esther

This is a much lighter book that I would normally choose to read but one of its attractions was the Cornish setting.

Mr Titchmarsh successfully evoked the village setting and although the female love interest was a little cliché, a beautiful, lithe ex-dancer and an artist to boot, the hero of the story was a rather attractive young man who didn't annoy me by letting his past totally ruin his future.

There was the added spice of a little smuggling but the excitement preceding the denouement was qui
Jan
Apr 27, 2013 Jan rated it really liked it
Shelves: listened-to
This was a delightful tale. Alan Titchmarsh is an English Gardener, who has anchored TV gardening shows for years. More recently he has done general TV presenting, and written several novels.

The story of one of the last lighthouse keepers, a man who chose the solitary life at the lighthouse because of personal tragedy. Once the job at the lighthouse finishes, he buys an old boat and restores it, with the plan of sailing solo around the whole coast of England. That is until he meets an artist who
Carolyn Thomas
Apr 12, 2013 Carolyn Thomas rated it liked it
A light and breezy beach novel, very easy reading. Will decides to buy a boat with the money from an inheritance and sail around the coast of Britain, after the lighthouse he has been working in becomes automated. At the same time he is making plans to leave the village, Amy arrives in the village to open an art studio and escape her past. Of course they meet and the predictable happens.
Miriam Wakerly
Oct 22, 2016 Miriam Wakerly rated it really liked it
I was curious to know what kind of book this multi-faceted man writes! It is romantic, yes, but it really does have a solid background and setting. I feel I know more about boats and boatyards than I did. It's the kind of book you can curl up with and enjoy without any effort and I liked the simple writing style.
Sydowg
Aug 30, 2012 Sydowg rated it really liked it
This was a light and quick read about a lighthouse on the Cornish coast of England. A sweet story about a lightkeeper who has a new life to plan now that the lighthouse is no longer in service. It has a bit of romance, a bit of intrigue, and gives a good description of the coastline in Southern England. I enjoyed reading it.
Bunyip
Apr 16, 2013 Bunyip rated it liked it
Easy, light reading. Nothing brilliant or earthshaking here, but enjoyable enough for an afternoon at the beach when on holiday. Reasonably well written if a bit clichéd and predictable - but exactly what I was looking for over the recent Easter break.
Kay Robinson
Apr 11, 2013 Kay Robinson rated it it was amazing
A lovely read, very enjoyable, well researched, all the essentials, adventure, romance, locality, in depth analysis of emotions and reactions. Maybe Alan lost his way, he should have started writing fiction years ago IMHO.
Lizzy B
Sep 09, 2011 Lizzy B rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Lightweight, cliche, a little amusing, rather predictable, a holiday book for when you don't wish to think. Preferred
Kat
May 08, 2012 Kat rated it liked it
Another subdued, but very warm British story. Read by the author on CD. Even the villains, such as they are, are nice. Kind of makes me want to move to a little Cornish village.
Gillian
Sep 04, 2011 Gillian rated it it was amazing
I found that this was just a lovaable comfortable read, as I find all of this authors offerings. It takes me back to a warm and wonderful place that I would always want to stay in.
Stephen Coleman
Aug 09, 2011 Stephen Coleman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light and romantic. A real surprise for me when I read this. Now we know what thoughts are running through the mind of this famous gardener.
Jan 17, 2009 Laura rated it did not like it
Alan as the nation's head gardener is watchable, likeable and expert. This is the only novel of his that I've read. Stick to plants, Alan, please.
Wendy Denham
Jun 10, 2014 Wendy Denham rated it it was amazing
Very good book for bedtime reading or for beside the pool. I am looking forward to reading some more novels by this author
Sarah Tucker
Jan 04, 2015 Sarah Tucker rated it it was amazing
Entertaining - I love lighthouses at the best of times and this makes me want to live in one of my own. Clever and funny
Gill
Feb 23, 2011 Gill rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this simple read. Could imagine the beautiful setting in Cornwall whilst reading it. Nice and easy enjoyable read.
Bella
Bella rated it it was ok
Sep 05, 2014
Eileen Bellwood
Eileen Bellwood rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2016
Lori
Lori rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2013
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2015
Maureen
Maureen rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2014
Vicky Waterfield
Vicky Waterfield rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2016
Marion Jones
Marion Jones rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2015
Alison Flower
Alison Flower rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2014
Angelbabe_cj
Angelbabe_cj rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2011
Terri Hardy
Terri Hardy rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2016
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2013
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2010
  • The Secret Life Of Evie Hamilton
  • Cool For Cats
  • Diamond Star Halo
  • We Are Family
  • Country Loving (Talyton St George, #7)
  • Divorced And Deadly
  • The Kew Mum Gang
  • The Compleat Werewolf and Other Stories of Fantasy and Science Fiction
  • The Complete Photographer
  • Catching the Tide
  • The Question (Morland Dynasty, #25)
  • Adultery for Beginners