Start by marking “Jonah: Navigating a Life Interrupted - Member Book” as Want to Read:
Jonah: Navigating a Life Interrupted - Member Book

Jonah: Navigating a Life Interrupted - Member Book

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  388 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Jonah: Navigating a Life Interrupted - Member Book by Priscilla Shirer provides a personal study experience five days a week, leader helps, and viewer guides for the group video sessions of this in-depth women's Bible study.

What do we do when God interrupts our lives? Many times, like Jonah, we run! In this 7-session Bible study, Priscilla redefines interruption and shows
Published July 1st 2010 by LifeWay Christian Resources

To ask other readers questions about Jonah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jonah

Lisa  Marie
This study was so awesome to me. I did it at church with the video as well. I had heard the story of Jonah as a child and always thought it was just a story to teach us a lesson. Which it is, of course. But I learned through this study that it really did happen, God really is capable of doing what He did to Jonah and there was a purpose in it far greater than I would have ever realized. I always looked at the story of Jonah as a fable. Until I became a Christian 3 years ago, I thought many parts ...more
Stephanie Joy
The ladies small group at my church began this study in November and we just finished discussing it today (after 7 months). I know it seems like a really long time to take on a book that was only meant to be a 6-7 week study, but it was SO FULL of truth and wisdom that we felt it would be a waste to speed through it without allowing ourselves to digest all the was uncovered in Jonah. We would watch the video sessions and then take our time reading through each day's lesson together, discussing e ...more
Jessica Welch
It was really great to finally get to know the real story of Jonah from a historical standpoint. As a kid when you hear the children's version it's very unbelievable so it was great to get the real deal. Also Priscilla did a fantastic job on getting me to see how I can relate to Jonah..his anger, fear in trusting God, his reasons for turning his back on God, etc. This was one of the first studies I have ever done that compelled me to examine my life and make changes because it was so well writte ...more
Christa Kinde
Our women's Bible study used this book along with the video curriculum. I found Priscilla to be an articulate teacher of the Word. Her lessons prodded us to evaluate our attitudes where interruptions are concerned. God uses them to get our attention and put us on the path to significance.

Favorite Quotes:
"Make sure your life writes a story worth telling."
"Interesting how you can be asleep and not realize it until you've awakened."
"Our mess can become the greatest miracle of all."
"God gave the
MiChal
I am glad to be finished with this study for two reasons: 1. Apparently I'm not in a season of being interrupted; and 2) it's slow, slow, slow moving.
Jessica
This was the selected book for a Bible study that I was a part of. We had a group of about 10-12 women most nights we met, and overall I'd say that we liked the study. There were times when we felt that the questions were too specific or leading, and we had a hard time coming up with answers. This gave us some trouble with getting discussions started in the beginning, which was unfortunate because we were a group of strangers, and we didn't really start talking a lot until the last couple of wee ...more
Robyn
I did the video sessions last year during a Wednesday night study group at church. Due to my work schedule, I missed a lot of the sessions, but they had notes made for each missed session. I was also too busy to do the individual studies at the time, but I had this workbook saved for when I actually did have time. I got more out of it while doing the self-study during downtime/break-time at work. I've seen Beth Moore videos here & there in the past, but I like how Priscilla Shirer's videos & ...more
Delinda Mauney
I love Priscilla Shirer. I have done many of her studies and have read several of her books. This book is no different in her presentation. We are like Jonah. We want to be one who is a follower of Christ but we don't want our lives interrupted by things we are called by God to do. We may have something we think is better on Sunday mornings than going to church, so we go. We don't want to interrupt our lives of fun and freedom.

Little do we realize that when we are in Church, Bible Study, prayer,
christianchicklit
Great Bible Study which challenges you to see life's interruptions in a positive light. Life doesn’t always turn out like you plan but God knows exactly where you are and has a plan for your path. Priscilla Shirer does a great job making the old testament stories completely relevant and applicable to our lives today. I highly recommend this study!
Denise
A great reminder that when God interrupts your life, it's for your best interest. I completed this study just as I met my husband. Now I have a family of 3 men, when only a year before I was alone.
J
For those of you that have been handed a "Ninevah" assignment that you do not really want to do, then read this book asap. You may find that you are Jonah after all.

Janet
What a great Bible study about how God using interuptions as divine interventions in your life!

Have you ever felt like God interrupted your life? This book shows you how really these interruptions are invitations from God to do something amazing. Something God thinks that you are the best person to handle. (reflect on that a minute)

I have never studied the book of Jonah and I loved it!

Priscilla has a way that draws you in and you can't wait for what she is going to share the next day, I highly
Jake Fraser
I LOVED listening to the videos. Shirer is like a magnet and you just can't stop watching her! Really loved it! But the workbook I really couldn't get into. Not only did the book make me feel like I had to have an issue in order to do it (or something was wrong with me) - but I just couldn't get into it in general. The only thing I got out of this study was watching the video. I have heard that she gets other people to write her workbooks (which is disappointing)...so I'd be curious to do anothe ...more
Susanna Internicola
it was ok, redundant at times.
Lakeshia Poole
We all know the "big whale" story and the fantastical side of Jonah. It's a small section of the Bible with a big story and big lesson for us all. This study broke it down in a way that I can apply to my every day choices.
Alison
From day one I really liked this study. Priscilla is funny, engaging, and makes you really consider your role. I liked how she reframed life's interruptions. If you find yourself in a different place in life than you planned this book and video series is for you.
Kim
Loving it so far! One week left and then I'll post my rating. E'yen...you won't believe how much it parallels your book Chosen One, which I also just finished. From the story of King Jehosephat to the points being made about how one person CAN make a huge difference....you'd really like this study! And it's only 6 weeks long--not a huge time commitment but packed with lessons.
Rlyons316
Really great study. Have never taken such an in depth look into the book of job. God really taught me a lot through this study. Well done. I'm not really a DVD study person though. I feel u can just do the book and still get a LOT from this study. Personal opinion: Better if u have a group if ppl to discuss it with.
Tiffany Williams
Came at just the right time. Priscilla took 4 little chapters in the bible and created a 6 week bible course that helps you: a)get through an interruption, b) prepares you for an interruption, c) helps you to help others with interruptions, or d) helps you use your interruption to help others.
Great study.
Kate
What a great study! I highly recommend for women's groups and doing the videos. Priscilla is so down to earth and speaks the truth boldly. God revealed much of himself through the book of Jonah and turned my world upside down in a new wonderful order. My favorite women's study so far.
Kristin
I like Priscilla Shirer, but this study seemed to be a bit on the lighter side for me. While I did find it useful, it didn't really speak to me at this time in my life. However, I feel like I will be much better prepared for when (not if!) my life gets interrupted.
Laura Hix
May 14, 2014 Laura Hix rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Laura by: Bible Study
This study was incredible by Priscilla Shirer
I was enthralled by the study

Priscilla has a way of bring the Word to you, not simply, but in a way to understand it simply.

Jonah is a powerful Bible Study and one that I would do again

Avaught
The videos by Priscilla Shirer are great.....the workbook left a little to be desired....but I loved Jonah, his humanity, and his honesty in such real terms...my advice is to download her videos ......
Erica
I liked this Bible study it really helps you look inward. Someone said I can't believe she didn't tell us to read the whole book of Jonah..I don't think she should have to say that you know you should. :)
Roxanne
Excellent Bible Study (trade cook also available). Used this a second time for additional material for the MasterWork Bible Study curriculum from Lifeway (Winter 2012-2013)
Libby
Great study by Priscilla Shirer - its amazing what can be mined out of the short book of Jonah. It's very illuminating - you'll never just think of the "whale" again
Gini
Great study. Never have I gleaned so much information on the book of Jonah in any other study. Not just for women even though its geared towards women, all can enjoy.
Amanda
This is a very personal study that makes you analyze your own life. It's amazing how such a short book like Jonah can contain so much that relates to your life.
Jennifer Honeycutt
I love Priscilla Shirer's style. This was a great look at the book of Jonah. I did it with a group of women and we had some really good discussions.
Hilary
Favorite study I've ever done! It applied so well to my life and helped me realize the Lord has way better things for the future. I'm done running like Jonah!
  • James: Mercy Triumphs (Member Book)
  • Nehemiah Member Book: A Heart That Can Break
  • Faithful Abundant True Weekend Retreat and Study Guide: Three Lives Going Deeper Still
  • Stuck Study Guide
  • Me, Myself, & Lies: A Thought-Closet Makeover -Bible Study Workbook
  • The Girl's Still Got It: Take a Walk with Ruth and the God Who Rocked Her World
  • Brave: Honest Questions Women Ask: Member book
  • Wonderstruck: Awaken to the Nearness of God
The Resolution for Women Discerning the Voice of God: How to Recognize When God Speaks Anointed, Transformed, Redeemed: A Study of David: Member Book One in a Million: Journey to Your Promised Land Gideon: Your weakness. God's strength: Member Book