Start by marking “Trust Me (The Last Stand, #1)” as Want to Read:
Trust Me (The Last Stand, #1)

Trust Me (The Last Stand #1)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  2,767 Ratings  ·  152 Reviews

Eve Elliot is a successful therapist, a loving wife, a mother deeply invested in her familybut her happiness is built on a lie. When she was a lonely, vulnerable young woman, a single decision led to a dark night of unimaginable consequences. Now, forced to confront her past, she faces another terrible choice: reveal to her family that she is not who she seems, or allow a
Kindle Edition
Published (first published June 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Trust Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trust Me

jenjn79
Aug 12, 2008 jenjn79 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to jenjn79 by: previously read author
This was a borderline 3-4 star book for me. I'm going with 4 stars because even though there were some things that bugged me, I still enjoyed the book quite a bit.

This series centers around 3 women, whose lives were either directly or indirectly affected by violent crime, who decide to fight back. They start a victims advocacy group in order to help the people who need it most.

This first book focuses on Skye Kellerman. Four years earlier, she awoke in her bed to a man holding a knife to her. She
Christa
Dec 01, 2008 Christa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: booksfree-com
This was my first book by Brenda Novak, and I definitely liked it enough to read more by her. Trust Me is romantic suspense, but is really much heavier on the suspense. There is a romance, but very little time is actually devoted to it. The hero and heroine were both very likeable characters, and the storyline was engrossing. Two minor characters in the book are heroines in subsequent novels in this series. I am eager to read both of their stories.

Skye Kellerman was attacked in her bed four yea
Gina
Jan 05, 2009 Gina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of romantic suspense.
Recommended to Gina by: Noval Ladies Potluck novel.
Robin Gardner
Dec 13, 2015 Robin Gardner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this. I especially liked that it wasn't completely predictable.

Transitions between characters were not smooth. It seems to me that if one is going to play the omniscient third person card, making it easier to jump between the minds of characters, with maybe some visual to let the reader know it's time to make the shift, would be a priority.

Additionally, if one is going to advertise a book as a romantic suspense, there should be a bit more romance than this book contained. The romance w
Kris - My Novelesque Life
4 STARS

"Four years ago...

Skye Kellerman was attacked in her own bed. She managed to fend off her knife-wielding assailant, but the trauma changed everything about her life. As a result of that night, she joined two friends--also survivors--in starting The Last Stand, an organization to help victims of crime.

But now...

Her would-be rapist is getting out of prison. Skye knows that Dr. Oliver Burke hasn t forgotten that her testimony cost him his reputation--and his freedom. Sacramento detective Dav
Donovan Adams
Jan 04, 2011 Donovan Adams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Trust Me is the first novel in the Last Stand series by Brenda Novak and I found the plot as enthralling the other two books in the series. I read the other two, Stop Me and Watch Me, awhile back and found them completely exciting and real page-turners; this book did not differ in that aspect. Although I read them out of order, they aren't the kind that you need to necessarily read in order; they make just as much sense when read in random. The different subplots kept me engaged in the action (I ...more
Jillian (NetGalley Addict)
Jun 09, 2014 Jillian (NetGalley Addict) rated it really liked it

I liked this book, Skye and her friends took their really bad situations and instead of being victims they became survivors. Despite what happens to them they are strong independent woman. I like how the author made Sky and David’s relationship seem plausible. The twists and turns throughout the book kept me interested without completely confusing me. The bombshell towards the end made me have one of those "oh no she didn't" moments. (Towards the character not the author). The writing had a good
Bette Stanek
Apr 15, 2015 Bette Stanek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a difficult one to rate. 3 or 4? 3 or 4? OK, I'll go with 4.

This is the first of Ms Novak's suspense books that I've read. Prior to this, I had only read her Whiskey Creek series, which btw if you haven't checked out, you need to do that. Anyway, Trust Me is the first in a trilogy centered around three women who have suffered abuse of one form or another. In order to deal with their abuses, they have opened The Last Stand, a center to help abused men and women. They aren't very popular
Eles Jackson
I have a few complaints about this book. ** And I want to warn now that this review will have some spoilers in it. I found Skye's character to be a major contradiction. Throughout the story, the author spoke so much of her being cautious from the attack, yet she continued to do silly unsafe things. Like taking a bath, home alone, with earbuds in her ears--I've never been attacked, thankfully, but I know not to do this because it's not the safest move! And it was unbelievable that she was suppose ...more
Kelly Moran
Aug 23, 2010 Kelly Moran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a pleasure read, so it's not one of my official reviews. I always know when I pick up a book of Brenda's that I'm going to love it. Hands down, I did. I love that we're almost always in the bad guy's head as much as the good guy's. The romance is realistic and intense, so is the suspense. The research into victim's psychie was powerful here. Recommended.
Marianchu
Feb 01, 2016 Marianchu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me ha gustado muchísimo. La trama de suspense impresionante de principio a fin. Me ha encantado como refleja los sentimientos de todos los personajes ya sean principales o secundarios. No pude evitar conectar con cada uno de ellos. Imposible decidirme por uno sólo, porque si David es un amor, Skye es valiente y del resto tendría que mencionarlos todos ya que no hay ni uno que sobre, todos cumplen un papel importante en la historia.
Puede sonar un poco macabro pero lo que más me gusta de esta auto
May 06, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've read several of Brenda Novak's books now. (Mostly her Whiskey Creek books). And while I enjoyed 90% of them, almost every single one of them has a woman who is DYING to get married and/or have a baby. Her life is incomplete without one or both of these things. (view spoiler) ...more
Maria Sol
Un libro entretenido y que te mantienen expectante hasta el final, y que a pesar de faltarle un poco ritmo al principio engancha y te mantiene queriendo saber como se va a resolver todo.
Tengo que decir que para mi gusto le falto bastante romance y conexión entre sus personajes, asi como conocerlos un poco mas, incluso como que me enganche mas con la historia de los "malos" que con la de los propios protagonistas.
Otra cosa que destaco es que a partir de la mitad para el final el libro se pone muc
~Megan~
The infidelity part of this book made me a little squicky, but it all turned out good in the end. I'm looking forward to reading about the other ladies of The Last Stand.
Jul 21, 2016 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars for Trust Me

Quick review

This book was okay. I admit to skimming through part of the middle because it wasn't really interesting me. I didn't quite understand why the detective was so devoted to his ex-wife. I get they had a kid, but obviously he wasn't in love with her anymore and she obviously wasn't interested in compromising.

Skye is a bit of an idiot. For a girl who holds gun and self defense classes and whatever, she did some things that didn't line up with who she supposedly is.

An
Anne
Dec 22, 2014 Anne rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, library
I really like Brenda Novak. This seemed to be more of a suspense than a romance. There was a romance. The feel was a bit like an old romance book, in some ways. But it's a fairly recent book. I liked it. I'll be curious to see if the next book continues on with the same group at The Last Stand.

We learn most about the female in this book, Skye. She's been through a lot and she is handling it the best she can. David is a great guy but he has lots of issues too. And there are some horrible people
Anita
I’m officially convinced that Brenda Novak knows what she’s doing in suspense. Either that or the timing was just right--I didn’t have to be anywhere important in particular, erego, I didn’t see the harm in spending more time than necessary finishing the entire book of Trust Me in one go. Not that there ever is any harm in spending more time than necessary reading… ever.

Pfft… “more time than necessary reading”... There’s never enough time to read all the books I want to read anyway, so I always
Barbara ★
Attempted rape victim, Skye Kellerman and two friends Jasmine and Sheridan (also victims) open a non-profit agency, The Last Stand, to help other victims. Oliver Burke (Skye's attacker) is out on parole in three years instead of 8-10 and once again, terrorizing Skye. Burke has promised to pay her back for her audacity in prosecuting him. Skye and detective David Willis do everything they can to protect her.

This series starter has many surprises and unexpected twists. A few that are truly shockin
Willow
This is my first Novak. And all I can say is this: it kept me up at night, and there's not much higher praise I can personally give to a story. You know the books, the ones that have us so wrapped up in someone else's story that we can't bear to leave. I love those experiences. I'm grateful to any author that can do it.

This one is a romantic suspense, and it fits the bill. Those that expect their romances to be a majority of the story may be disappointed, but the chemistry between Skye and Davi
Jane Stewart
Ok mystery with some suspense. Female victim gains skills and strength to protect herself from future attacks.

STORY BRIEF:
This is book 1 in the Last Stand Trilogy. The Last Stand is a victims-assistance charity, run by three women who devote their lives to helping victims. They don’t have time to date. Three years earlier, Oliver a serial-rapist-killer attacked Skye in her home. She survived by stabbing him with scissors near her bed. He is in jail but is getting out soon and plans to kill her.
David
Aug 14, 2011 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Skye ist eine Mittdreißigerin, welche vor einigen Jahren von einem Psychopathen nachts in ihrem Bett überfallen und mit einem Messer bedroht wurde, lebt seit diesem Vorfall in ständiger Angst. Sie konnte ihm zwar entkommen, dennoch hat sie weiterhin große Panik vor ihm.
Sie hat sich zurückgezogen, hält sich von den Männern fern und gründete
"The Last Stand", eine Hilfsorganisation für Opfer von Überfällen und Verbrechen, welche als eine Art Selbsthilfegruppe dient. Hier lernen Betroffene, vor al
Mandy Bookaholica
Dec 07, 2012 Mandy Bookaholica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller-krimi
Brenda Novak hat es einfach drauf, mich in ihren Bann zu ziehen. Der Stil, in dem das Buch geschrieben wurde, ist angenehm und gut ausgebaut. Die Charaktere sind hervorragend durchdacht und lassen die Geschichte authentisch wirken.
Es ist zwar durchaus vorhersehbar, doch bleibt es bis zu den letzten Seiten spannend und fesselnd. Die Autorin schafft es außerdem auch hier wieder eine turbolente Liebesgeschichte einzufädeln, die mir an der einen oder anderen Stelle fast den Nerv raubte. Frau liebt M
Ciara
Nov 30, 2011 Ciara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was a little skeptic when I first started reading this book, because I had never read a book by Brenda Novak before, but after reading Trust Me Im glad I did! This book is so well written you feel like you actually there, not just watching from the sidelines. The characters are so real and relatable, and Novak did an excellen job in portraying their feelings to where you feel them too. Your heart will start pounding right along with Skyes when she learns that the man that raped and attempted t ...more
Glenda Ricord
Dec 10, 2009 Glenda Ricord rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Very enjoyable. Fast read.

Here's a excerpt:

Four years ago...
But now...
TJ
Mar 22, 2015 TJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent romantic suspense. Although this is the first book in a series, it did feel like we were missing a very large chunk of background information, however. There are many things in both Skye and David's past relationship, as well as Dr. Burke's that are alluded to but never more. This is very frustrating to a first time reader. Still, the excellent writing and flow, along with the great suspense and romance makes it well worth the read!
Sonya Steele
Feb 20, 2015 Sonya Steele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a truly excellent book. I read it in 2 days. I hated putting it down, even after I finished reading it. I am looking forward to the next book in this series, which I have ready to go! I have huge respect for the writer, Brenda Novak, who in addition to being a fantastic writer has raised over $2 million dollars for diabetes research. It is awesome what a writer with both a great mind and a great heart can accomplish!
Amelie
Aug 27, 2014 Amelie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hay algo que me llama la atención los libros policiales y es por lo mismo que cuando tengo uno bueno para leer, lo aprovecho, ya que me gustan, más cuando tienen una buena trama.
En parte lo que le pasa a Skye es algo raro, pero realmente hay cada loco por donde uno miré que es muy difícil de saber te pueden seguir, y como con eso uno vive mirando para el lado por si algo así sucediera.
En si espero que nunca me pase.
Kim
Jul 23, 2014 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't figure out if I wanted to rate this one 3 or 4 stars. The thing about this book that drove me absolutely bonkers, was the author was a huge fan of the ending of a sentence with a suspense...

and she closed the door...
then she saw the pink line...

the dangum ... drove me bananas. I swear on one page I saw the ... at least four times.

aside from that the rest of the book was good.
Shacoria
May 12, 2015 Shacoria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my second time reading the book. I remember the first time I read this book I simply could not put it down. I remember there were a lot of twists and turns and I was completely taken in by it all. For the most part I really enjoy this book. It's a real page turner. Once you pick it up, it's hard to put it down.I don't enjoy the way that David and Skye act like they just can't control themselves. I would say that they're lack of self control probably contributes to a lot of their problem ...more
Amanda
I pretty much enjoy all of Brenda Novak's books so I wasn't surprised that I enjoyed this one.

Things I Liked:
- The heavy focus on the family of the rapist/murderer was really fascinating. A lot of books don't really deal with what it is like the be the family of someone who it turns out is a monster.
- The romance was interesting since I thought the ex-wife with MS introduced a really interesting ethical issue

Things that didn't work for me:
- I never really understood why David kept trying to rec
  • Bad Penny (Cat Dupree, #3)
  • Waking Nightmare (Mindhunters, #1)
  • Cold Truth (Truth #1; John Mancini #7)
  • After Dark (Griffin Powell, #1)
  • Killing Fear (Prison Break Trilogy, #1)
  • Midnight Fear (Chasing Evil, #2)
  • No Escape (Delta Force, #3)
  • One Scream Away (Sheridan, #1)
  • One Last Breath (The Borderline #1)
  • First You Run (Bullet Catcher, #4)
It was a shocking experience that jump-started Brenda Novak’s bestselling author career.

“I caught my day-care provider drugging my children with cough syrup and Tylenol to get them to sleep while I was away,” Brenda says. “It was then that I decided that I needed to do something from home.”

However, writing was the last profession she expected to undertake. In fact, Brenda swears she didn’t have a
More about Brenda Novak...

The Last Stand (6 books)
  • Stop Me (The Last Stand, #2)
  • Watch Me (The Last Stand, #3)
  • The Perfect Couple (The Last Stand, #4)
  • The Perfect Liar (The Last Stand, #5)
  • The Perfect Murder (The Last Stand, #6)