Shade

Shade (Jumper #2.5)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  356 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Steven Gould’s classic SF novel Jumper is the story of a young man with a single mysterious superpower: he can teleport anywhere, in the blink of an eye. Now, in a story set after Jumper’s sequel Reflex, we see that a single mysterious superpower can add up to a lot of different kinds of miracle…

In 2008 Jumper was brought to the screen as a big-budget SF adventure of the s...more
Published July 20th 2010 by Tor Books (first published July 14th 2010)

Bob
This is a 5633 word short story that is available (free when I read it on 08/02/2010) online at http://www.tor.com/stories/2008/08/shade
Adrianna
Nov 30, 2012 Adrianna marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Free here: http://www.tor.com/stories/2008/08/shade
Being a short story and also a story in the world of the novels (not the horrible movie), I'll probably enjoy it.
Cathrine Bonham
I read this for free at http://www.tor.com/stories/2008/08/shade

This not book it is a short story. But it was still great. I wish it could have had more of Davy and Millie but it was fun to see someone discovering their abilities and really just going with it. Personally I would have freaked out but this young refugee just really wanted to believe in a miracle.
Laura (Kyahgirl)
Its a testament to Steven Gould's writing that I enjoyed this story so much when I haven't read any of the main story (Jumper, etc).
This was a very short story that was well put together, interesting and compelling enough to make me go get the other stories.
Ryan McArthur
Keith
I don't usually add short stories to my goodreads list, but since I discovered this story through goodreads I decided to break my policy.

This was available to read for free on tor.com. I like the comment "teleportuers sans frontieres"
Katherine
Simple, heartfelt, and a nice glimpse into what David and Millie have decided to do with their lives. Enjoyed the richly created scenery in such a short time and truly understood Millie at the end- found myself laughing right along with her. Beautiful little story.
Ita
A lovely feel-good story. It says a lot about the author, who must be a real mensch.
Andor
It was great to see the jumper couple back in action, nice short story.
We can have a glimpse at their post-Reflex life: still helping around the world, but being cautious not to leave any signs that could lead their enemies to Canada, where they secretly live.

I can't wait for the 3rd book, Impulse. January 2013 is a damn long wait though.
Jumper and Reflex are among my most beloved books.
Martin
A very short interlude between JUMPER novels. It was a fun read though... What would "Jumping" look like when seen by somewhat primitive but desperate people? The Gods Must be Crazy?
Christabel Amanoh
Read this back when I was waiting for Impulse to come out. It's a nice short story set in the Jumper universe. It doesn't add much in the way of plot, but if you want to get more of Dave and Millie then give it a go :)
Joanna
I loved to see Millie and David in good health. The story itself is a short one, but it gives an idea what happened after "Reflex". And the parasol-giving scene near the end is simply lovely.
Pyyric
A perfect short story. It didn't try to reach too high, it told exactly the amount of story that you can tell in the space provided or taken depending on your viewpoint.
Kimikimi
Apparently part of a larger series. This is good, very good. The main character is this great little boy who keeps thinking of others before himself.
Ringy12
This was such an amazing story! Now being one of my all time fav. plots. It will be well worth your time even if u have not read the rest of the series.
Raphael Clayette
Nice little story. Helping poor africa.
I would have liked one story from after "reflex", like a more developped shade. Will soon read "impulse".
Jason Sydiaha
It was a nice read. A lot lighter than the other books. A strong message but a light personal take on it. A Refugee camp in the eyes of a child
Abhyuday
Very Short Story !! But a very good read. Sort of gives you some closure for the Jumper series.
Shanna
A short vignette of a story. Interesting build to the characters of Jumper.
Type40
Very good, wish it was longer our that there were more like it.
Alusha
What was the point of this??? Had no beginning and no ending...
Lexi
Loved it. A short story that picks up where Reflex left off.
Chris Knight
Good, but basically a short story instead of a novel.
James F. Evans
It's good and gave me a much needed Jumper fill-up!
Paul
A wonderful short story. Loved it! Thanks, Steven
Ben Nash
Ben Nash marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Multiculturalism ...: "Shade", by Stephen Gould (author of Jumper) 1 7 Jul 29, 2013 08:57PM
  • Down on the Farm (Laundry Files, #2.6)
  • Eros, Philia, Agape
  • Elegy Beach
  • Pretty Boy: The Story of Bonzo Madrid
  • Tanya: Princess of the Elves
  • A Tale of Tales (Runelords, #9)
  • Sex Criminals #2: Come, World
  • Fire Arrow (The Songs of Eirren, #2)
  • Adjustment Team
  • Serenity: Downtime (Serenity, #3.5)
  • A Very Vampire Christmas (Sookie Stackhouse, #10.1)
  • Theories of Flight (Samuil Petrovitch, #2)
  • The Serrano Connection
  • Heads Will Roll (Necromancer, #0.1)
  • Saga #18
  • The Water That Falls on You from Nowhere
  • The Dragon's Eye: The Dragonology Chronicles, Volume One
  • Four Hundred Billion Stars
Steven Charles Gould is an American science fiction author. His novels tend to have protagonists fighting to rid government of corrupt antagonists. The struggle against corruption is the focus, rather than the technology.
More about Steven Gould...
Jumper (Jumper, #1) Reflex (Jumper, #2) Jumper: Griffin's Story (Jumper, #0.5) Impulse (Jumper, #3) 7th Sigma

“God’s Blessing are more numerous than those growing trees. /Muhammad Abdullah Hassan, Defeat of the Infidels/” 1 likes