Start by marking “Bad Boy (Inspector Banks, #19)” as Want to Read:
Bad Boy (Inspector Banks, #19)

Bad Boy (Inspector Banks #19)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  2,919 ratings  ·  261 reviews
A distraught woman arrives at the Eastvale police station desperate to speak to Detective Chief Inspector Alan Banks. But since Banks is away on holiday, his partner, Annie Cabbot, steps in. The woman tells Annie that she's found a loaded gun hidden in the bedroom of her daughter, Erin--a punishable offense under English law. When an armed response team breaks into the hou ...more
Audio Cd
Published August 5th 2010 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Bad Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad Boy

James Thane
[Please note: This review contains some minor spoilers, but nothing beyond what is described in the tease on the back of the book.]

Bad Boy is a book that, had it been set in the U.S. instead of in the U.K. would have ended on page three.

A woman comes into the Eastvale police station, looking for DCI Alan Banks who was once her neighbor. The woman's daughter has come home for a visit and while cleaning the daughter's room, the woman discovers a hand gun hidden away. Being a good citizen, she race
Eric_W
"My daughter has a gun." Banks is on holiday, but that's the concern a woman brings to Annie, Banks's DI, while Banks is on vacation. Even though unlicensed handgun possession carries a very steep penalty, the police completely over-react (Banks is on vacation) and the girl's father gets hit with a tazer and dies of a heart attack. Cut to a scene with the daughter's friends and we learn things are not quite so simple.

Soon, Banks' daughter is linked to Jaff, drugs, and attempted murder. Banks' fo
Nancy Oakes
First, my thanks to LibraryThing's early reviewer program and to Morrow for my copy of this book.

Don't do what I did and start this late at night -- you won't want to put it down. Although this book isn't really a whodunit, the tension begins to build very close to the beginning and doesn't let up.

The 19th installment in Robinson's Alan Banks series, Bad Boy begins with the discovery of a gun. Julia Doyle contacts the police to report that she's found a gun in her daughter Erin's room, and that
Andra Watkins
Yes, Peter Robinson's books are formulaic. Yes, after a passel of Inspector Banks books, some of the ticks can become tiring. But, Robinson's stories always suck me in, and I forget that I'm reading. I'm just entertained and engrossed in the story. It's easy. It's light. But, those are good qualities to have on any reading list.

It's clear to me that, even after all this time with Banks, Robinson is still passionate about the character. I do not get a sense in his writing that he is tired of him
Pamela
I have read Peter Robinson since his first Alan Banks procedural. As with most long series, the first several were excellent. But then the plots became predictable, the writing stale, and the recurring characters boring. I stopped reading him. When I saw “Bad Boy,” I decided that after a several-year hiatus, I would try him again. Unfortunately, that was a mistake.

Robinson’s recurring women characters in “Bad Boy” are immature, trite, and badly drawn. You have his partner and former lover Annie
Felice
You know you can't read better than Peter Robinson.

There are things that you can count on: the yumminess of any sandwich you don't make yourself, that the plows will push more snow onto your side of the road than your neighbors and that Peter Robinson will never let you down. He has what? 97-98 books out there and not a dud in the lot. Okay he has a mere 20 (!) mystery novels out there, but they are all exceptional. Who else can say that?

In the latest Robinson novel, Bad Boy, DCI Alan Banks is
Surreysmum
Mike  Owens
I can think of nothing that marks the difference between American vs. British ideas of law enforcement moreso than attitudes towards firearms. Those more familiar with Robinson's Inspector Banks series will, of course be less surprised by this than I. Bad Boy begins with the discovery of a single firearm, a semiautomatic handgun, by a mother in her daughter's room. The mother, a former neighbor of Banks, goes to the police station to request his assistance, but he is away on holiday. When she re ...more
Diane
Even though Peter Robinson's detective novels, featuring Alan Banks and Annie Cabbott, follow the formula for other novels in this genre, Robinson has developed Banks with endearing human frailities without making him hopeless. In Bad Boy, Banks has gone to America for a vacation to sooth his nerves after a harrowing experience with home-grown terrorists. This took place in the previous installment in the Banks saga and was enough to make Banks question his career choice.

The Robinson novels are
Sheila Beaumont
I loved this one! Even by the high standards of Peter Robinson's first-rate suspense series starring Chief Inspector Alan Banks, this latest installment is outstanding. Banks returns from a vacation in the U.S. and finds that his daughter, Tracy, has become involved with a "bad boy" who turns out to be much worse and more dangerous than she thought. It's a thrilling, wonderfully plotted, character-driven story, in which the good guys are confronted with some truly evil villains.

If you're already
Vickie
A superb suspense tale, especially as an audiobook as read by Simon Prebble. I need to go back to the beginning of this series as I've read or listened to only two and that is a shame-on-me.
There is a lot going on, but not so much that it's difficult to keep up. The story mostly centers on Inspector Alan Banks' daughter who is rebelling by going out with a 'bad boy, but Jaff is exceptionally bad and she pays for the dabbling.
Superb and highly recommended!
Fionna
The Alan Banks books are losing their way. Character motivations change to suit the plot, characters (especially of women) are becoming flatter and less believable, apparently meaningful connections between them are forged in a couple of stilted and unconvincing pages. After the genius of Aftermath and Friend Of The Devil, it is disappointing to have such a humdrum book.
Kate
Although it never occurred to me to want to hear anything from her voice, I was interested to hear Tracy's perspective after 19 books. However it was whiny and self-indulgent. Granted, Robinson wrote those things decently, but it illuminated how Banks' pensiveness has also bled into whiny self-indulgence in the last few books. A perfectly valid direction to take a middle-aged dissatisfied detective, but I'm wondering whether it is something I wish to read anymore.
Dorothyanne Brown
Another wonderful ride with Peter Robinson at the helm. Bad Boy puts Inspector Banks, already in a bit of a funk, into a case where his daughter is involved - willingly or not. As always, we are masterfully taken along, shown just enough at the right time, threatened more when we might be feeling comfortable.

Inspector Banks is a bit distant this time - mentally and physically - and if I didn't already love him I might not form such an attachment with this book. But it's hard to be sure. The sto
Jessica
There are some good elements here, but Tracy takes me out of the story entirely because I find her so frustrating. She's 24, purportedly smart, and has been living as an independent adult for some years, and yet Robinson has her behaving like a 15-year-old with a concussion in the early going. Her actions seem so inconsistent with the person she's been established to be in earlier entries. This one feels like a case where the concept (exploring the 'bad boy' archetype) runs roughshod over the ch ...more
Lisa
I have been casually looking for a new crime-fiction series. I just finished all of Lee Child's books and will have one year between action-packed reads. I was happy to find Peter Robinson after reviewing authors on goodreads. Robinson has the british feel with good character development. The book's action progressed at a fair rate. It was not a page-turner. The main characters develop over the series which I like to get to know the characters more in depth! I will be going back to the first boo ...more
Joe
A solid item n the Banks series. The book is at its most interesting when its focus is on the women around Banks: Tracy, his daughter, Annie, his colleague and ex-lover, Nrys, the enterprising young officer. When the plot shifts to Banks himself—well, it just seems like more second-string, english-version of Rebus to me, with the same fondness for classic rock and jazz, and for alcohol, the same impetuousness, and the same fear of commitment. But all of is slightly less well drawn than in the Ra ...more
February Four
Imagine: You're a policeman's daughter. You come home one day to find out that one of your roommates was the subject of a police search, and the police have been asking after her boyfriend.

You fancy the boyfriend, so you go and warn him. The boyfriend finds out that the roommate has been arrested, freaks out, goes to look for something, says something about "The stupid bitch took it" and then tells you he'll be going away for a little while, and that you should just go home and forget about thi
Bella Grewal
Det är den nittonde boken om överkommisare Banks och hans kollega Annie Cabbot. Den här gången blir hans dotter, Tracy, dessutom inblandad. Hon blir förförd av kompisens läskigt charmiga pojkvän, Jaff och indragen i en drog- och vapenhärva. Killen har allt annat är rent mjöl i påsen, kan man väl säga. Jaff skjuter en polis och Tracy förs bort mot sin vilja. Jag gillar Robinsons sätt att skriva, det är spännande från början till slut. För Alan Banks blir det personligt. Hans dotter är bortrövad ...more
Jean
Peter Robinson has lost his touch. He's always been one of my favorite mystery writers, but lately he has gotten away from the "who done it" which he did well. This time, Inspector Banks' daughter has gotten involved with a "bad boy" and the only excitement is whether he will find her in time. Predictable. I started reading, skipped to the end after a few chapters, didn't miss anything much.
Cathrine
DCI Banks is on holiday in the US while his daughter hooks up with a Bad Boy. Back home again Banks gets the news that is old parter Annie Cabott has been shot at his house by the Bad Boy and the hunt is on.

This is not one of the better detective stories about Banks and Cabbot, instead it's a very predictable story which of course end with a regretful daughter returning to her father.
Eva
It may not be the best Robinson but even not the best Robinson is still much better than many of other crime writers. I was really happy I got the book and Alan Banks was back (though not in time :) Hope Mr Robinson will not let Alan Banks and Annie Cabbot retire! I already look forward to another book of his although the next one should not feature Banks.
Mike Gillespie
Wonderfully written, good pacing and snappy dialogue. Makes me want to read the older Alan Banks books.
Monica
While this is a good “Alan Banks” book, it’s not the best of the bunch. I like a bit more mystery in my police procedural novels. In this one, it’s more a race to the finish to see what the outcome is. And a bit too much recapping in the last pages. Having said that, the race and the outcome are very engrossing. Robinson does a great job writing about the personal lives of many returning characters...and of course, Alan Banks. I always grab a Robinson book when I go on vacation. It’s always comf ...more
C.  Bellamy
I've kept silent for a while, but now I must jump in to say something, which is only a comment. I'm not aiming this at anyone in particular, nor am I saying this occurs only in this discussion; far from it. But I can't post this everywhere, so here I am.

I wonder if some people ever learned the difference between an analysis/critique and an elementary book report. Don't give me a summary! Tell me what you saw or experienced or learned.

When I come here to find out what others feel about a certai
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: Next in the series

Peter Robinson is always a character writer. The identities and motivators of his main characters are an important role in each of his novels and each character has developed through the books, especially Inspector Banks who has been with the series for all nineteen novels. Bad Boys relies heavily on the personal stories of the main characters plot wise. There is a crime, a couple really, and they all involve Inspector Banks at a personal level. Enemies from
Lorraine
This book involves Alan Banks' daughter Tracy. She's in a dead end job in a Leeds bookshop. Her roommate is her friend from Eastvale, Erin and a new girl, Rose. Erin has left their flat to go home to Eastvale for a few days, leaving her good looking boyfriend, Jaff, behind. Tracy has a crush on Jaff and when she hears that Erin's father was killed by a police taser after a handgun was found in Erin's room, Tracy rushes off to Jaff's apartment to tell him. He discovers that Erin had stolen his ha ...more
Ian Mapp
19th in the series. No surprises - usual qualifty of plotting and suspense, with Inspector Banks not making an entrance until half way through the book.

Starts with one of his daughters flat mates taking a gun back to the family home and being discovered by her parents. A friend of Banks, the mother goes to the station but banks is on his jollys in america.

Cue a bothched raid on the home and the tasering of her father and subsquent death.

Robinson does the politics of police work better than anyon
Jemma
Not my normal sort of thing but something I read because my parents like it and because they said there were local references. As it happens, I knew the London references too so that was a bonus!

Essentially, this is your cop potboiler but it showed some promise to be better than the trash I expected. There was a decent backstory, there was light and shade with the characters and the plot had a few intersting twists. Though some aspects of the students inparticular are highly stereotyped.

There is
Debbie Maskus
Peter Robinson utilities a formula when writing. His novels all begin with a scene evolving sight and smell of England, then the scene labors along the route with the tempo increasing as a character heads toward the conclusion. Alan Banks, Detective Chief Inspector, basks in the sun in California, as he enjoys a holiday/vacation. Back home in England, chaos has erupted with the accidental death of Alan's past neighbor and with the misjudgment of Alan’s daughter, Tracy. Robinson reveals the compl ...more
  • Midnight Fugue (Dalziel and Pascoe, #24)
  • Good As Dead (Tom Thorne, #10)
  • The Impossible Dead
  • Cold in Hand (Charles Resnick, #11)
  • Necessary as Blood
  • Beneath The Bleeding (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #5)
  • Death Toll (DI Peter Shaw & DS George Valentine #3)
  • Dancing with the Virgins (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #2)
  • The Pure in Heart (Simon Serrailler, #2)
  • A Lonely Death (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #13)
  • A Killing Frost (Inspector Frost, #6)

Peter Robinson was born in Yorkshire. After getting his BA Honours Degree in English Literature at the University of Leeds, he came to Canada and took his MA in English and Creative Writing at the University of Windsor, with Joyce Carol Oates as his tutor, then a PhD in En
More about Peter Robinson...
In A Dry Season (Inspector Banks, #10) Gallows View (Inspector Banks, #1) Friend Of The Devil (Inspector Banks, #17) Before The Poison Aftermath (Inspector Banks, #12)