Start by marking “Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie” as Want to Read:
Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie

Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie (Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie #1)

4.25  ·  Rating Details ·  20,253 Ratings  ·  2,552 Reviews
Thirteen-year-old Steven has a totally normal life (well, almost): He plays drums in the All-Star Jazz Band, has a crush on the hottest girl in school (who doesn’t know he’s alive), frequently finds himself sitting across from his school counselor (who bribes him with candy), and is constantly annoyed by his five-year-old brother, Jeffrey (who is cuter than cute). Oh, Stev ...more
Audio CD, Unabridged, 0 pages
Published February 20th 2011 by Brilliance Audio (first published 2004)

Nancy
Posted at Shelf Inflicted

The Drums are what 13-year-old Steven plays in the marching band and jazz group in school and are the only thing that makes him feel good when his life starts to unravel.

The Girls are Renee Albert, the hot cheerleader and neighbor who Steven wishes would notice he was alive, and Annette Watson, a pianist and friend of Steven’s who occasionally watches his younger brother Jeffrey on weekends.

Dangerous Pie is (view spoiler)
সালমান হক
অনেক দিন পরে এতত চমতকার একটা মিডল গরেড বই পড়লাম। সতযিই খুব ভালো লেগেছে। সবচেয়ে ইনটেরেসটিং বযাপার হচছে বইটা পড়ার সময় যে পেজে আপনি অনেক জোরে জোরে হাসবেন ঠিক সেই পেজেই পরের পাতায় এমন কিছু কথা লেখা থাকবে আপনার মনে হবে যে দুনিয়া এত খারাপ কেন। আর সতযি কথা বলতে দুই একবার যে আপনা আপনিই আমার চোখ ভিজে উঠেছিল যেন কিভাবে। মহা ঝামেলার বই। :/
গলপটা সটীভের। এইটথ গরেডে পড়ে। ডরামার। আর মেয়েদের আশে পাশে গেলে তার যেন কি হয়ে যায়। তো তাকে যখন একবার জিজঞেস করা হয় যে তার কাছে সবচেয়ে বিরকতিকর লাগে কোন জিনিসটা। সে বলে য
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Christian C. for TeensReadToo.com

"The most annoying thing in the world is...My little brother, Jeffrey." That's what thirteen-year-old Steven Alper had written in his journal for his English class. But on October 7th, everything changed. Jeffrey had a small accident in the kitchen, was taken to the emergency room, and was diagnosed with leukemia.

Steven's life turns upside down, and just when he needs his parents the most, his mom has to spend most of her days at the hospital taking
Kyndall
Sep 18, 2014 Kyndall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recommend this book, it is a really interesting book and it's hard not to read the chapters all at once. At the end there is a big turning point…I'm not going to say what it is because I don't want to spoil the book for everyone else. This book has a lot of important/sad moments, but in my opinion it makes the book x10 better! I can't wait to read after ever after!
Andrew Fapp
Feb 11, 2017 Andrew Fapp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing story of what family truly is - giving up what you want and need for the protection of a sibling. When the main characters little brother is diagnosed with a severe form of leukemia cancer, his older brother has to give up his life, career, and enjoyment to keep his brother not only safe, but happy.
Hamelynn Harzman
This book pulls at your heartstrings like sumo wrestlers in a tug of war match. I cried. Not as much as I thought I would, and I have mainly the humor of the book to thank for it.

The characters are absolutely amazing. They're relatable, charismatic, realistic, and funny. I don't think I could have made it through the book without shedding enough tears to overflow an ocean if it weren't for the humor. Sarcasm, making-fun-of-self jokes, you name it, this book had it.

I'm also thankful for the devel
Jenna Buss
Mar 28, 2017 Jenna Buss rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was full of heartwrenching moments. Obviously, many of these were related to Jeffrey, the main character's little brother who has leukemia. But the bond between Steven and Jeffrey was enough to bring me close to tears. Steven would risk anything for his brother, and I felt their bond really brought the story to life.

Also, the story was super realistic. I really appreciated how the author didnt try to make Steven a perfect, bubbly teenager. He made Steven a REAL teenager. He WASN'T per
Lauren Ellerbusch
A.J. Pine
Jun 12, 2012 A.J. Pine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*Cross posted on AmyLovesYA.com

Let me start by saying that this is the first Jordan Sonnenblick book I've read, It will NOT be the last. In fact, I'm reading another one right now titled After Ever After. Back to the point--I have not read many middle grade novels because I teach high school and figured I should keep with the age range of my students. I was wrong. SO wrong. This book is funny, heart-breaking, and just plain beautiful whether you are ten or thirty...something (like me).

The book
Ariel Acupan
Dec 16, 2010 Ariel Acupan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally Posted HERE.

DANGEROUS NOVEL PIE!

WARNING: This book should not be read in public because it has a tendency to make you laugh and cry at the same time. It is very addictive to the point that you may not be able to put it down from start to finish.

I love the book and would definitely look for other Sonnenblick books. It is a tearjerker and a funny novel. That is how I would describe it in few words. One minute you're laughing so hard and then with just one phrase or sentence, ,a tear cou
Juneetta
Jun 14, 2011 Juneetta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Drums,girls and dangerous pie is one of my favorite books I've ever read.This book is hilarious but also upsetting.It's about a 13 year old boy name Steven who loves drumming,has a crush on the hottest girl in school,has a little brother name Jeffery.It all started over a nose bleed when Jeffery was standing on his stool while Steven was making oatmeal he fell off and hit his nose.Then Jeffery is rush to the emergency room.

Hours later his mom called and told Steven's dad that Jeffery might be
Sondra
Mar 25, 2008 Sondra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an adolescent novel about luekemia, targetted probably to 12-15 year olds. Despite the subject, it's very funny, with lovely banter between the 8th grade boy, who narrates, and his sick five-year-old brother. There were difficult passages describing the treatments the boy received in the hospital and the side effects. The book candidly described the tensions on the family, including an explanation of the financial problems faced by people with insurance. It touched on the undesired atten ...more
Katie Lalor
Mar 29, 2017 Katie Lalor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my 3rd book that I read from Jordan Sonnenblick, and of course the number one thing I enjoyed from it was the humor! Sonnenblick does a wonderful job incorporating humor with the middle school voice. The story is sad, because it's about a five year old who has cancer, but with everything that is going on it makes you want to read it because it of the authenticity. Even if you do not have a family member who is not ill, one could relate to it because of the ups and downs of a family, frie ...more
Jaseena AL
description

"The most annoying thing in the world is....My little brother, Jeffrey." That's what 13 year old Steven Alper writes in his English journal about the most annoying thing in the world.But everything changes when his 5 year old brother Jeffrey Alper gets diagnosed with leukemia.Drums, Girls and Dangerous Pie is all about a thirteen year old boy and his unconditional love for his little brother.

If i had to choose the best from all YA books i've ever read,i swear i would choose this one.It has ever
21awsomeswimmer2121
I really loved reading this book. It made me feal really bad, sad during the book. It is about an eight grader named Steven and his brother, Jeffery gets Luekemia, a form of cancer! The book go's through Steven's perspective and tells how he feels all the time. Weather he is happy or sad, it explains hoe Steven is feeling all the time! Steven loses his mind, and the only two people at his school that care about him is his friend Annette and crush, Renee.

I'd suggest you should check this book ou
Thanuja
This book was an assigned adolescent fiction book for my 11-year-old brother's 6th grade English class. Now as the 21-year-old sibling, you must be wondering, why would I even entertain the idea of reading this book. Well to be honest, I was just that bored. BUT to my surprise I not only did I enjoy reading this book, I even was MOVED. I mean I physically wept, sniffled, and laughed (of course when appropriate)so often that my family ceased being surprised by my loud outbursts. To take a story o ...more
Tena Edlin
This book was a solid 4 to me until the author's note at the end. Now, it's a 5. I think this is the first time an author's note has bumped up a book rating for me. DO NOT SKIP THE AUTHOR'S NOTE AT THE END OF THE BOOK. I REPEAT, DO NOT SKIP THE AUTHOR'S NOTE AT THE END OF THE BOOK!!!!!

The book was powerful and funny and full of heart. It made me step in the shoes of the characters, and I love it when that happens. I felt like some of the dialogue was a little cheesy... what the author thought k
Madelyn
Sep 29, 2014 Madelyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brittany
Apr 05, 2015 Brittany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is so well done. I love Steven, the narrator and his honest confusion and heartbreak he addresses as part of this narrative. It's sweet and selfless and even funny at times. As a mother, I found some of the scenes painfully emotional, yet a young person would empathize differently, I'm sure. Sonnenblick is one of my favorites.
Julie Carpenter
I really enjoyed this one and can't wait for my older kids to read it. I think this is one all teenage kids should read. I hard a hard time wanting to put it down. I will admit that I kept picking up other books avoiding it because I wasn't quite sure what to think about it. I finally picked it up and thought to myself "Why did I wait to read this one?" This is one of the 16 books for Battle of the Books(BOB) where I live and I try to read what my kids are reading for the competitions. At state ...more
Jun 25, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars

Family, love, loyalty, Drums, Girls, & Dangerous Pie! :) I loved it all.
A touching, powerful story about how a family struggles to survive through a crisis and scare together. Humor and such sensitivity bring this story to life. A story and voice that went straight to my heart. Through 13 year old Steven Alper’s voice, readers will see and feel just how much a brother’s love can do and mean.

Three Big Reasons Why My Heart Loved this Book

1. Family LOVE

”Now, normally I am not the bigge
Nika
Aug 06, 2009 Nika rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Steven Alpers is a selfish eighth grader who happens to have exceptional skill on the drums. At times he feels dorky, but still has high hopes of connecting with the best-looking girl in his class. Everything that used to be easy about his self-centered life becomes more difficult when his younger brother, Jeffrey, becomes seriously ill.

During most of my time in this novel, I felt irritated at Steven. I could not understand how he could linger in a completely narcissistic world, when his entire
Andi
Sep 02, 2014 Andi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
4.5 stars. I was surprised with how much I liked this book because of the subject matter. But I really loved how this author voiced 13-year old Steven after he finds out his 5-year old brother, Jeffrey, has cancer.

Of course, Steven's life is turned upside down. And his initial reactions are not exemplary. But Steven's love for his brother eventually outweighs everything else, and he becomes a better person as a result.

I'll admit, I'm pretty sentimental, and this book had me in tears through mu
Shorty96
Nov 12, 2008 Shorty96 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Steven is a teenager who has one thing in common with all of us... he absolutly hates his sibling! His brother Jeffery is always taking his things without asking, nagging him, and tricking mom and dad into beliefing that he is the trouble maker in the family.But, one day something terrible happens to Jeffery.He hits his nose and it bleeds an enormouse amount of blood so his mother takes him to the emergancy room,when he gets back Steven is told that he has cancer.This is an inspirational book th ...more
ChapterOne
Mar 25, 2015 ChapterOne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh. My. Gosh.

I hope I will keep finding books like this to read until the day I die.

This is about a young teenage boy – an eighth grader. He lives with his dad, mom and 5 year old little brother. He thinks his brother is the most annoying thing in the world (of course). The little brother gets diagnosed with leukemia and their lives turn upside down. The love this teenage boy has for his little brother made me cry!

If you loved Wonder and The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, you will
ESTHER710
I feel bad for Jeffrey because I feel like Steven treats him badly. But then again if I were Steven and Jeffrey embarrassed me in front of my crush i would like die of humiliation. Jeffry did do a bad thing by sharing things about Steven that shouldn't have been said in front of his classmates.Also where are Steven's parents when Jeffry took Steven's special sticks? Also when he said all those embarassing things in the auditorium? Those are some irresponsible parents because they haven't done an ...more
Tiffany
SUUUUCH a good book. Characters are vivid, story is hilarious/tragic, and it has such a great message. First book I read by this author and I'm hooked. More, please.
Gavin Matthew
Apr 18, 2017 Gavin Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was an amazingly realistic book Jordan Sonnenblick really mastered the character's emotions.
Ms. Yingling
Apr 13, 2017 Ms. Yingling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Admittedly, it's an odd paring. Drums, Girls and Dangerous Pie (2004), by Jordan Sonnenblick has a great cover, a cool and odd title, lots of funny, quotable lines (But you know how, when you watch The Brady Bunch, you think, "Oh, come on! Nobody is this happy. What's wrong with you people? And who picks out your CLOTHES?" p. 49)-- and it's about a boy struggling with his younger brothers' leukemia. Do I recommend it as a problem novel? Because Steve's struggles with school and the girl on whom ...more
Elena Mills
Apr 16, 2017 Elena Mills rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I think the story itself was really powerful and you really get attached to the characters. I was tearing up throughout the book, because I have a younger sibling and the fact that this sickness can happen to pretty much anyone and it just sneaks up like this is really scary. When I picked up this book, I was curious, because the title sounded like a funny middle school novel, but in reality it was about a very serious topic. I recommend this book to just about anyone ...more
Future Teachers, ...: Emily Herrera Review #2 1 1 Nov 14, 2016 04:41PM
How are Steven and Jeffrey different/similar? 1 2 Nov 04, 2016 08:08AM
Thoughts on Readings: First Thoughts on Book 1 2 Oct 24, 2016 09:43AM
fav character 1 2 Oct 14, 2016 09:43AM
First Thoughts on Book 1 2 Oct 10, 2016 03:50PM
Drums Girls Dangerous pie Eng 4 Mrs. Allen EDP 1 3 Jun 01, 2016 04:58AM
  • Hurricane Song
  • The Schwa Was Here (Antsy Bonano, #1)
  • Sleeping Freshmen Never Lie
  • Bluefish
  • As Easy as Falling Off the Face of the Earth
  • Locomotion
  • Tripping Over the Lunch Lady: And Other School Stories
  • Addie on the Inside (The Misfits, #3)
  • Booked
I am the author of seven books for children and young adults, including Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie. So if youʼre looking for info about some other guy named Jordan Sonnenblick, youʼve got the wrong website.
Anyway, I know a lot of people are looking for stuff they can use in reports for school, so Iʼll just get this out of the way right up front:
My favorite color is blue.
I have a wife and two
More about Jordan Sonnenblick...

Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie (2 books)
  • After Ever After (Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie, #2)

“Instead of agonizing about the things you can't change, why don't you try working on the things you can change” 98 likes
“It's amazing--my parents call everything a discussion. If I were standing across the street, firing a bazooka at my mother, while my father was launching mortar back at me, and Jeffery was charging down the driveway with a grenade in his teeth, my parents would say we should stop having this public "discussion".” 95 likes