Start by marking “Bought: Destitute Yet Defiant” as Want to Read:
Bought: Destitute Yet Defiant

Bought: Destitute Yet Defiant

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  707 ratings  ·  65 reviews

Silvio Brianza dragged himself out of the slums, but his scars run deep....

Jessie still scrapes her living, scrubbing floors by day and singing in seedy bars by night....Silvio had turned his back on that world, but now that he's found Jessie he's going to make her his!

Jessie may be powerless to resist Silvio's raw sexuality but no amount of dresses and diamonds can change
Published (first published June 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Bought, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bought

Ridley
Generally I give 3 stars to books that are entertaining but forgettable. This book, however, was beyond forgettable; it was derivative. It was an HP-by-numbers.

Our heroine, Jessie, is a nightclub singer in a seedy section of London. On the anniversary of her brother's death three years ago, she's singing her heart out, trying to ignore the gang of men there waiting to kill her when she's done. Sitting in the back, our hero, Silvio, is grinding his teeth at the live his best friend's sister is l
LaFleurBleue
I'll start with saying that I might give the author another chance, as there were some good things. The hero could have been a caricature of Italian self-made billionaire, but he surprisingly managed to have his own personality, a rather refreshing one moreover. And I liked the way the first party on the yacht took place.
But there was really one huge problem in this book. From beginning to end and even beyond it, the whining insecure and stupid heroine. The hero was in love with her from their c
Miglet
Having only recently discovered Sarah Morgan's Presents titles I now have to create a new bookshelf just to house every. single. title. she has ever written.

BDYD touched me in a way that no book has since maybe the first time I read a Helen Bianchin book. I keep re-reading it. My clenched heart was breathless for the last chapter.

I highly recommend 'Bought: Destitute Yet Defiant' if you love the Alpha Male rescue of a proud young woman scenario because this one is perfection.
Noelle
This book is really more of a 3 1/2 * for me. I liked the plot but some of it was just a little unbelievable to me.

Silvio (H) is a very rich man. Having pulled himself up and out of the gutter in London, started his own buisness and is now a multi-millioniar. He spends his time helping people who were in the same place that he was, he would hire them to work "with him" not "for him" and giving them a second chance to make something better of themselves.He finds out that Jessie (h), a childhood f
Gail
The hero and heroine grew up in the same poor London neighborhood. The hero got out, the heroine didn't. He's now come back to check on her and discovers her in desperate straits, singing in a dive while wearing a tacky gold-sequined dress. This is a pretty Old Skool romance, where tacky short dress = Whore! but the heroine does lead him on a bit. Anyway, now he's rich and wants to rescue her. She resists rescue, for a bit, but she's not stupid, so she finally goes along. She's not quite a compl ...more
Amafle
Novela rosa en todo el sentido de la palabra, romance tierno, problemas del pasado, amor desde tiempo atrás, millonario ayudando a la desvalida mujer que es mas valiente de lo que cree, en fin cliché cliché pero divertida para pasar el rato.

Katie
This was a great short read. There weren't many sex scenes like other romance novels. I loved Jessie, and Silvio was just lush! Overall this I enjoyed reading it, it was great to get away from all the supernatural books! :)
Delaney Diamond
This was a rescue story, where the billionaire hero swoops in and saves the poor, struggling heroine. Sarah Morgan hit every emotional note possible. It's a heart-wrenching, beautiful love story.
Holly
I was complaining about Presents the other day when someone suggested I try Morgan's books. While I didn't find this as frustrating as I do many other books in this line, I didn't love it either.

My main gripe is the heroine. Jess grew up poor on the wrong side of London and has only gotten poorer as she's gotten older. When her childhood friend turned bitter enemy comes to her rescue in a dark alley one night, she's both grateful that he came and angry that she needs his help. He's now a billion
Silke Juppenlatz
I wanted to strangle the heroine throughout.
The setting is supposed to be London, but frankly, for someone who lives here, it's more than just a little off. There is no "London flavor" to the location, and it could be anywhere.
It felt like "must have a different location than USA, lets pick - throws dart at globe - Oh yeah, let's set it in London".
The big letdown for me was the heroine, though. She is totally clueless, and borderline stupid. Someone who doesn't know where Las Vegas is? Come on,
Carrie
I know going into it that a Harlequin Present book has certain requirements for a story:
-billionaire alpha male (check)
-virgin heroine(check)
-often set in foreign country (check)

HP's don't generally appeal to me, but I've read some that I have enjoyed, plus I like this author. So when I saw this one for free I got it. All I can say is I'm glad it was free. The plot makes little sense and the heroine Jessie has even less sense than the plot. She is an idiot. Jessie immediately decides everything
The UHQ Nasanta
Alpha male who climbed up the social ladder from the very bottom to the very top who just has to have everything his way. Timid, poor, beautiful young woman with self-esteem issues. The two set in a typical traditional romance where misunderstandings and non-communications often work to foul up a likely or budding romance made for an exasperated reader. Still, I will admit that Silvio Brianza was sweet in his own way. While I suppose I understand where the heroine, Jessie, came from (and might p ...more
Fiona Marsden
Another good fast read from Sarah Morgan. Jessie and Silvio have history, dating back to her childhood in the slums of London. Jessie and her brother lost their parents and ended up in care and Silvio became her brothers friend.

Silvio managed to escape the poverty, working his way out of the slums through working in construction. His help for Jessie and her brother backfires when the money is used for drugs and he dies. Grief-stricken, Jessie blames Silvio, sending him away.

Now three years later
Michelle Hammond
A most enjoyable read. A decent strong story that gripped from the start. This book didn't rely on over the top sex scenes. It had characters you found yourself caring about & wanting things to work out. For those that need the sex there were a couple of scenes but they were inline with the story. I nearly didn't purchase this book as being a Mills & Boon I thought it may be boring & for the more elderly readers, how wrong I was. Hope there's a part two.
Baseballmom
Nice story

The hero was written as a solid guy and you could tell he loved the heroine. I didn't find her to be weak, rather, lacking in self confidence. Considering her childhood, I found her lack of confidence to be believable. A million to sing at a wedding.... well that was over the top, but I'll overlook it because it is after all..... fiction. Isn't that the reason we read romance novels?
Tali
So I liked this one while I was reading it, I got a bit swept away by it all which is a good sign, but then afterwards bits of the story kept picking at my brain annoying me, which is not so good a sign. The writing sweeps you along and it's 'realistically' fast-paced enough that you don't have a chance to get bored. I was a little annoyed by both Silvio and Jessie, because despite that we're told they grew up together and had the same sort of background, they never really seemed to bond or be a ...more
Nandusandy
silvio brianza is an amazing guy .he is protective,caring etc .jessie is a headstrong girl but she is in a lot of trouble but refuses help from silvio partly because she thinks he is responsible for her brothers death.how will she get out of the trouble?silvio will not leave jessie ,he will help.what is gonna happen when their attraction for ezch other comes between?
Zurks
What I didn't like:

1) Silvio having her live with him as she'd be killed was an over-exaggeration.

2) Jessie's insecurity became petty and pointless fast.

3) When has there ever been a celebrity wedding of the decade? Why would said couple want someone unknown performing at their wedding? Hugely overplayed.

4) The masculinity of the hero and his wealthy badboy image was shoved down my throat. No. Please don't. I can't breathe.

5) Only remembered this because of my first positive comment LOL - Jessie
Ann has a dirty mouth
Man, this was a good, quick and dirty little read. I think I would have liked it if it were a lot grittier- like if Silvio were more of a scary Tony Soprano type guy. Since this is a Harlequin Presents he seemed like more of a fuzzy cuddley gangster, which is not my favorite. There was a lot of shopping and trying on dresses in this one, which is also not my favorite but the author really made it work for me.

However, what really sunk this one down to two stars is that it really should have been
Amanda Sheila
I swear to god I've reviewed this book before! Dammit.

Anyway, this book is one of my favorite "forced" book. Why? Because the angst is just perfect and the way Silvio treated Jessie is cold yet unbelievably gentle.

Jessie's lost everything after his brother died. Inside her heart she loathe Silvio and blame him for her brother's death. And when she struggling for money and debt with working in nasty bar, singing, she meet Silvio and he saved her life.
Seeing the beautiful Jessie in some kind of
Ale Rivero
La pareja de Silvio y Jessie me ha encantado, aún a pesar de sus idas y de vueltas y de sus respectivos orgullos. Teniendo en cuenta el pasado lleno de drama de ambos era inevitable que en su presente hubiera también un poco de él. Más que recomendable
Kitty
It could have been great. there was material for that.
the background story of the two.
but it was overwhelmed by the mistrust, the false accusations and the hoho "he is a Sicilian" the only word he says in italian in Maledizione... lol
Mare
I enjoyed the storyline.
Separated for three years, Silvo returns to save his best friends little sister Jessie. He promised her he’d leave after the tragic death of her brother. Once together again, they’re draw to each other but try to resist. Silvo wants to spoil her to make her life better, as she deserves but Jessie thinks he’s just soothing his conscious and treating her like a dress up doll so none of his rich new friends finds out she’s from the gutter.
In the end they have to decide if
Bukola
Review coming soon!
Brinel
Interesting book
Michaela
This book was good for an M&B book until the 8th chapter. Jessie really should have been over her pointless insecuretitys by then but wasnt so more random pointless drama occured in the 9th chapter only to be solved about 6 pages later. Why? It could have been so much better if theyd wrote the ending with out it and gave those pages to explaining more about the thugs or her brothers death which was left pretty vague to say that is what the plot is based upon.
2 stars only based on the first
Elizabeth
very good though i don't really understand why it's called bought: destitute yet defiant. the thing i dont understand is the bought part the other is perfect but bought makes you think of something that is irreverent to the protagonist. other than my anoyance with the title it was great !! but hey its just the title and all im saying is that it could put some people off if they didn't read the blurb and find out they are wrong so basically dont let the title be the start end of your hole, dig de ...more
Laurel
Jessie is a singer with a dangerous life. She knows that a group of men in her club are out to kill her that night and she can't do anything about it. But she doesn't count on the intervention of Silvio, an old friend and man she hates - since she believes he killed her brother.

In this book Sarah Morgan weaves a fantastic story of how it is possible to find a new life, and at the same time, love - in spite of circumstances. I really enjoyed reading it, and will look for more from Sarah.
Kay Bolton
Short punchy novella with betrayal at its heart, and how love can conquer all.

There were some bits that lagged a bit in the telling, however all all it was well written, and I'd certainly choose something by this author again.

All in all a 3 star read, a shame it wasn't slightly longer with a bit more jeopardy woven in as it could have garnered more.

Note: Free Kindle Download at the time (see my blog www.toodlesbookclub.blogspot.com for daily selections of free downloads).
Claire
Sep 10, 2013 Claire rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Claire by: amazon
Shelves: quick-romances
I enjoyed it. It took a couple of hours to read and was a lovely way to pass the time.

The hero grew up in the same neighborhood as our damsel in distress, only to go back to rescue her for his own selfish reasons. She's loved him all her life, but considers herself one of his "projects", who he gives a second chance at life to. After making her break she runs, and like all happy endings, he follows resolving all conflict with a kiss.
  • Exposed: Misbehaving with the Magnate (Hot Bed of Scandal #1)
  • Wedding at King's Convenience (Kings of California, #6)
  • Their Newborn Gift (Outback Baby Tales, #3)
  • Girl Behind the Scandalous Reputation
  • Blackmailed Bride, Inexperienced Wife (Innocent Wives #3)
  • Wicked Rake, Defiant Mistress
  • Marriage Behind the Facade (The Al Dhakir Brothers #2)
  • Emergency: Wife Lost and Found
  • Mia and the Powerful Greek (The Balfour Brides, #1)
  • The Innocent's Surrender
  • Scandal: Unclaimed Love-Child
  • Secrets of the Oasis
  • The Braddock Boys: Cody
  • Colorado Abduction (Christmas at the Carlisles, #1)
  • Hajar's Hidden Legacy
  • Not For Sale
  • Bought: The Greek's Baby (Harlequin Presents, #2895)
  • Wife By Contract, Mistress By Demand
About Sarah

USA Today bestselling author Sarah Morgan writes hot, happy contemporary romance and her trademark humour and sensuality have gained her fans across the globe. She has been nominated four years in succession for the prestigious RITA© Award from the Romance Writers of America and has won the award twice, in 2012 and 2013. She also won the RT Reviewers' Choice Award in 2012 and has made n
More about Sarah Morgan...
Sleigh Bells in the Snow (O'Neil Brothers, #1) Doukakis's Apprentice Once a Ferrara Wife... (Ferrara #1) Ripped (Miller Sisters, #1) A Night of Scandal (Bad Blood, #1)