Start by marking “Resistance” as Want to Read:
Resistance

Resistance

3.75  ·  Rating Details ·  6,804 Ratings  ·  521 Reviews
Now available in mass market paperback for the first time, this novel by the #1 New York Times bestselling author takes readers on an unforgettable journey into a harrowing world where forbidden passions have catastrophic consequences.
Published April 1st 2006 by Little Brown and Company (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Resistance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Resistance

Maya
Jul 23, 2008 Maya rated it did not like it
It's really too bad I can't give this zero stars. It's probably one of the worst, most cliche books I have ever read. Stay away from it!
Lisa
Jun 01, 2013 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Belgium in the Second World War. My grandmother was Flemish, and it never even occurred to me that she and her family lived through the war in occupied territory. I approached this book as a window onto my own blurry family history, and this personal connection to the subject matter drew me in. Belgian collaborators, Belgian resistance fighters, Belgian children caught in the middle, and every one of them changed forever. What I would give to sit my grandmother down and have a chat with her over ...more
Danielle
Sep 04, 2008 Danielle rated it did not like it
This book takes place during WWII in Belgium. An American pilot goes down in his plane while trying to bomb Germany. He is rescued by a group of resisters in the small town where his plane crashes. I found the book pretty boring, and I didn't really see why I was supposed to care about any of the characters. If it hadn't been really short I don't think I would have bothered finishing it.
Rubi
Sep 23, 2007 Rubi rated it did not like it
Waste of time. Too mushy. I only bought this because Borders was selling it for like a dollar. Now I know why!
Connie
An American B-17 bomber makes a crash landing into a field in a Belgian village during the Nazi occupation. Resistance workers hide the wounded airmen in homes in the village. Claire Daussois nurses the pilot, Ted Brice, back to health in the attic of the house she shares with her husband. A passionate relationship develops between Claire and the pilot, giving them a few weeks of happiness in a terrifying world. Meanwhile, the Nazis are carrying out reprisals against the villagers. There are som ...more
Charly
Nov 03, 2010 Charly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone especially Shreve fans.
Another engrossing work by Shreve that kept the pages turning. Perhaps less complex than some of her work but twists up to the end. Shreve is not going to brighten your day with an up-beat novel in this one, but as usual she brightens it with a well written entertaining work. For the most part you like her work or not.

As an aside, I seem to have drifted into a bit of a WWII resistance genre this year without consciously planning it that way.
Christi
Jan 04, 2008 Christi rated it it was amazing
This is a terrific book to curl up with on a rainy day and just read and read. The setting is WW II Holland and the love story that ensues will sweep you off your feet. I did not truly understand what the people of Holland risked when they hid our American soldiers that had been shot down. They were selfless and devoted to a cause greater than their own safety. A truly inspired read.
Mary
Dec 10, 2011 Mary rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys historical fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Bookmooch
Set in a Belgian village during World War II, Claire Daussois is struggling to keep her marriage alive amidst severe depletions in her Nazi-occupied village. All the happiness and joy seems to have bled out of her marriage. She and her husband have been sheltering refugees from the war - Allied pilots, fleeing Belgian soldiers and Jews are among some of the people they help.

Claire nurses the wounded, acts as interpreter and waits anxiously for the war to end. One day, when Henri, her husband is
Mary
Sep 22, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anita Shreve's books are all so different but written in a way that instantly grabs you.
This one is set in WW2 in occupied Belgium.
Ted an American pilot's plane has crashed.
A very moving story of the harsh realities of war.
Claire's husband Henri is a member of the resistance.
Young Jean finds the injured pilot and brings him to Claire who hides him in their loft.
I loved this book and so didn't want it to end.
Sadly told and heart wrenching.
Florence
Nov 13, 2012 Florence rated it really liked it
A monument is being dedicated in Belgium to the crew of an Allied plane that was downed during World War II. This event is a connection to a brutal past. A small village endured the Nazi occupation. Extreme conditions brought out the best and the worst in the local population. Danger and desperation worked as an aphrodesiac for one ill-fated couple. A poignant and painful tale.
Nancy
Oh my God.

Just...

Oh my God.

Words can't even express how incredible this book was.

You all need to go out and read it.

Like now.

Full review to come.

OH. MY. GOSH.
I knew, going into this book, that it would be emotional. Most books set during world wars are, and as someone who’s experienced Anita Shreve’s work before, I knew how capable she is of ripping your heart out and stomping on it.
But I didn’t expect this.
This was most definitely a character-driven story, and the characters were so well de
Elin
Sep 29, 2016 Elin rated it it was ok
Probably closer to 3 stars, but I read it after having read several other WWII books, and it pales in comparison to The Nightingale, etc
Kelly
Nov 26, 2008 Kelly rated it liked it
I was really pleasantly surprised from this book. From all the Shreve novels I've read so far, there is always some tawdry affair. The affair concept is completely tiresome. I keep reading her books because I bought a whole lot of them off Ebay and had read an excerpt and noted that I really loved how she wrote. I've started getting really agitated because EVERY single book, so far, there has been an affair. This one wasn't an exception...but I guess it's accepted knowledge that there is going t ...more
Helena
May 01, 2011 Helena rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Diana
Feb 04, 2012 Diana rated it really liked it
Claire Daussois is a woman trapped in a troubled marriage to someone she doesn't love. Living on a small farm in Belgium, they are in the center of activity of WWII. Claire and her husband, Henri, shelter people hiding from the Nazi troops. The Germans have taken most of the living supplies out of the town and yet they keep looking for more. An American plane goes down near the town. A school boy rescues the pilot of the plane and he ends up at Claire's shelter. Claire nurses him and when he is ...more
Viana
Feb 08, 2017 Viana rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars. This book has been sitting on my shelf for years because I couldn't get past the first chapter or so. Both a war story and a love story, it made me think about choosing sides in WWII and what must have gone into those decisions for those who lived through it. Protect a stranger? Betray a friend?
Kendra
Nov 09, 2014 Kendra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didnt just read this book, I devoured it. I loved the way the au the or used various character viewpoints to move the story along and give the reader a good understanding of what was going on. Her descriptions are amazing and heartbreaking at times. I honestly didnt feel like i was reading just another WWII book.

-SPOILER ALERT-

It was a quick read set in WWII about a plane that crashes in a little town in Belgium. The pilot is found by members of the Resistance and is put into hiding until they
Bobbi Woods
Dec 14, 2012 Bobbi Woods rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club
It was OK...as my rating suggests. Disclaimer: I think I may have gone into this book with an attitude--it was picked during a Book Club that I was not able to attend. When I found out that it was picked, I said, "Anita Shreve?? Really?"

That said, it wasn't so bad except the theme has been so overdone and I feel like we read WAY too much about Nazis in my Book Club for some reason. At the next meeting, I plan to veto all Nazi books for 2013. :-)

A Belgian couple, Henri and Claire are part of the
Jacqui Mccann
Having read several of Anita Shreves novels previously I ordered Resistance online. If I had looked at this book in a store I probably wouldnt have purchased it. Its a short book but I felt that Shreve has tried a differemt writing style which just didnt work for me. Whilst the concept of the book is good the story didnt really flow and was a little staccato. I struggled to relate to the characters and one of the ressons for this may be the way she refers at times to characters in the third pers ...more
Lorrie
Oct 07, 2012 Lorrie rated it it was amazing
BRAVO!!!! This book by Ms. Shreve was right up there with "Fortune's Rocks". I cannot believe I had the pure luck to put this on my "To Read" list and save it for a rainy day when I really needed a new Shreve book. I think there's only one left now. I will leave that one also & save it for when I really need it.

This book got under my skin and into my thoughts so deeply that I was unable to sleep last night. I kept unconsciously thinking about the farmhouse and where would Ted be next, etc. I
Sheryl
I love historical fiction...and to find one by Anita Shreve... even better!!

Wow! Something much different by Anita Shreve. Resistance is such a sweet but tragic love story. Just heart-wrenching! This story had me captivated throughout it's entirety. Shreve gives such vivid descriptions of the characters and wonderful detail in each and every setting. She also gives the reader a tidy ending which I was very happy about... I don't know how I would have gone on not knowing what happens to some of t
Sally Brock
Feb 10, 2016 Sally Brock rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure why I'm drawn to this time and these people but since reading Suite Francais several years ago I continue to follow, through fiction, the people of the Resistance. In this story, Shreve draws an even more complicated picture of the choices that were made by ordinary citizens in times of extreme fear. Seen are the horrific consequences of these acts that separate neighbor from neighbor, son from father, and wife from husband. The paranoia is palpable in this tale and though the war i ...more
Kathleen Dixon
Dec 28, 2008 Kathleen Dixon rated it really liked it
Shelves: novel, war, belgium
Set in the appalling times of Nazi-occupied Belgium, and with no shrinking from the vicious cruelty of retaliations against villagers nor from the constant danger that the Resistance existed in, this is nevertheless a love story. Claire and Henri are part of the line that hides escapees, Ted is the American pilot of a downed aircraft.

Shreve tells her people with great skill and the story unfolds in a realistic manner. I was drawn in to the surroundings and carried along with the tension and the
Rishi Prakash
Oct 24, 2016 Rishi Prakash rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another of my prize catch in the book fair :-)

The book is a story of love and betrayal in wartime Belgium at the time of second world war set in a small village among common people who have been dragged in the war. This is a very touching story, and the characters evoked various emotions in me as the story progressed..

The story is one of war, deprivation and sacrifice as well as love and romance and demonstrates the courage and survival of humankind under the most horrific conditions.

Go for i
Rita Robinson
May 29, 2014 Rita Robinson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Resistance, Anita Shreve, a seemingly simple story set in Belgium during WWII that, nevertheless, encompasses all the major themes of life, experienced by great and wonderful, loving and hateful, evil and caring, noble and detestable people of all ages. The love story within the turmoil of Nazi occupation grabs the reader by the heart and never lets go. Powerfully built, subtle scenes and detail keep you reading . . . . And sighing.
Tami
Apr 14, 2010 Tami rated it really liked it
I have read most of Anita's books at this point. I have concluded that the main characters will always have experienced a love such as only that which someone who has also met and shared a love of the same depth can know. I'm still searching for an ending which won't have me wanting to go GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR ANITA!!! Dang YOU!! Let them make it and liveeeee it past the ordeal which brings them together in the forst place. Give hope to the reader's.....sigh.
Anna
Sep 28, 2011 Anna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
An emotional masterpiece! I could not put this book down and read long into the night never wanting it to end. I felt I was Ted and Claire and Jean throughout the entire story. I still find myself walking around my house or going about my day and suddenly catching my breath and wanting to sob because I have remembered some detail of their story. A profound story of love, hate, and the human spirit.
Cindy
Feb 17, 2012 Cindy rated it really liked it
I started the book one evening an could not put the book down until 3:00 AM. One review was right on stating that you will stay up late to read this book (even though you know you have to get up early for work).

This is my first Anita Shreve book and must read another!
Mirah W
Sep 26, 2011 Mirah W rated it really liked it
A wonderful book about a couple of takes in refugees trying to escape the Nazis during WWII. Of course the wife falls in love with one of the refugees, but their story is beautiful. I think this is my favorite book by Shreve.
Anne
Oct 15, 2012 Anne rated it liked it
Set in WWII occupied Belgium. A woman and her husband help allies escape to France. An American bomber crashes in their village, the wife and the pilot fall in love. Shreve's writing is brutal, humorless, yet very readable. She doesn't pull any punches and she's very thoughtful.
  • Transgression
  • The Man Tamer (It's All About Attitude #7)
  • The Devil She Knows (Devil, #6)
  • Day of Reckoning (Cascades Concealed #2)
  • Beside a Burning Sea
  • Faith (Virtue, #2)
  • The Grail King (Druids of Avalon, #2)
  • Claimed By a Scottish Lord (Mystical Bliss, #2)
  • Red Inferno: 1945
  • April in Paris
  • Frontier Courtship
  • The Italian's Rightful Bride
  • Hot for Him (Secret Lives of Daytime Divas, #3)
  • Double Dare (Harlequin Blaze #324)
  • Gingham Bride (Buttons and Bobbins, #1)
  • The Marrowbone Marble Company
  • Beautiful Assassin
  • House of Ghosts
Anita Shreve grew up in Dedham, Massachusetts (just outside Boston), the eldest of three daughters. Early literary influences include having read Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton when she was a junior in high school (a short novel she still claims as one of her favorites) and everything Eugene O'Neill ever wrote while she was a senior (to which she attributes a somewhat dark streak in her own work). A ...more
More about Anita Shreve...