The Taming of Mei Lin (Tang Dynasty, #.5)
read excerpt

The Taming of Mei Lin (Tang Dynasty 0.5)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  41 reviews

Faced with a proposal from a man she despises, impetuous Mei Lin makes a daring declaration: she will only marry the man who can defeat her in a sword fight. She has bested everyone who has so far tried to teach her a lesson...until a handsome stranger comes to her village. In captivating swordsman Shen Leung, Mei Lin finally sees a man she "wants" to marry. A man she's wi

Published (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Taming of Mei Lin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Taming of Mei Lin

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur GoldenThe Iron Duke by Meljean BrookSex in the Title by Zack LoveButterfly Swords by Jeannie LinBonds of Justice by Nalini Singh
Romance Books With Asian Love Interests
10th out of 329 books — 167 voters
Shōgun by James ClavellThe God Complex by Chris TitusAcross the Nightingale Floor by Lian HearnThe Ninja by Eric Van LustbaderMusashi by Eiji Yoshikawa
Martial Fiction
15th out of 125 books — 98 voters

More lists with this book...

Victoria Dixon
A local corrupt magistrate has proposed marriage to Wu Mei Lin and it's not an honorable proposal, but an offer to make her his second concubine. Though it will buy her family a certain amount of freedom, Mei Lin can't do it. She promises she will marry the man who can best her in a sword fight, never foreseeing the number of brutes her estranged suitor will send against her and her family. Then one day a handsome stranger comes to town....

I really enjoyed this story, but not just because of the...more
Maldivianbookreviewer
5+ Stars Historical Goody!

I don't think this review is going to come off sounding any other way but gushy because I just loved everything about this very short, hot and well done novella.

The Taming of Mei Lin is a story set in the Tang Dynasty in 710 A.D. China. Wu Mei Lin is an impetuous and a very skilled swords woman who has been backed into a corner by Zhou, a lesser magistrate in the district who had proposed marriage to her after catching a glimpse of her at her uncle's noodle stand wher...more
Cate Rowan
I've been looking forward to Jeannie Lin's stories for months now because she's breaking new ground with romances set in Tang Dynasty China. I crawled into bed last night and opened this one, thinking I'd just start reading a few pages--and instead found myself devouring the entire story. It's simply WONDERFUL. Mei Lin is an indomitable heroine both kind and fierce, and Shen Leung is a sexy, skilled, and honorable hero every bit her match. Their clash of wills is a thing of beauty, as is their l...more
Ana
Summary:

Faced with a proposal from a man she despises, impetuous Mei Lin makes a daring declaration: she will only marry the man who can defeat her in a sword fight. She has bested everyone who has so far tried to teach her a lesson...until a handsome stranger comes to her village. In captivating swordsman Shen Leung , Mei Lin finally sees a man she wants to marry. A man she's willing to surrender to in every way....

It's usually really hard for me to give short stories high ratings. Most of the...more
Nikki
I read this because I read Butterfly Swords, once upon a time, on someone's recommendation. The story of Mei Lin sounded interesting, then, so I picked it up -- and I hear that the idea of setting romances in Tang dynasty China is a new one.

Unfortunately, romances aren't really my thing, and the lack of depth to the characters/relationships in this short story doesn't help. A pretty significant portion of the story is just sex, and it also involves the trope of a strong, capable woman needing to...more
Stephanie Dray
Jeannie Lin is pure magic. Take a spunky historical heroine. Add a strong and silent hero. Stir together with a dash of humor and pour into an exotic ancient setting. There you have the recipe for a sensual tale that will leave you sighing, grinning, and more than a little flushed. This is an adorable little story by a brilliant new writer. Mei Lin is a bad girl who stole my heart even before her handsome swordsman stole hers.

If you think a romance novel set in ancient China isn't your cup of t...more
Jill Myles
This was short, sweet, and fun. The hero was sexy, and the heroine was fierce, which was pretty darn awesome. Loved this and wish it was twice as long.

Oh, and the swordfighting? Rocked. Can't wait for BUTTERFLY SWORDS next month.
Aeslis
The Taming of Mei Lin is a much shorter story than it should be. It happens over the course of a day, via four chapters, which is much, much too fast for any actual character development. There are sparks, and it starts out well, but the emotions quickly become impossible to sympathise with because they are far too abrupt, deep without depth, and superficially perfect.

There were some good flaws given these characters--Mei Lin's volatile temper and sharp mouth, Shen Leung's poor heritage and sens...more
Tara Chevrestt
This is a really cool short story. It's a story I have heard before.. People try to force girl to marry.. Girl declares whoever beats her swordfight will be her future husband. Of course, men try and fail. Till one day, she sees a desirable mate and lets him win.

Once I hit the 85% mark, however, it became the first chapter of Butterfly Swords. I was disappointed. I wanted more.

Favorite quote: "But when I saw you, I realized I had no idea how to seduce a man. So I thought it would just be easier...more
Imogen Woods
First of all - what an unusual Romance genre! Historical and Asian with a sword fight to boot... And it works - the chemistry between Mei Lin and her gorgeous swordsman sizzles, and my only grumble is how short the book is (a mere five chapters). Whether you're Asian or no, the story is timeless and touching, and the romance succeeds in transcending the boundaries of time and culture. I enjoyed this.
Susan
This is this fourth work of Jeannie Lin's that I've read and it's just as spell-binding as the others. Mei Lin is feisty and Shen Leung mysterious and protective. Together the two share a magnetic chemistry that works throughout the novella.
Kate
If this short story is indicative of the quality of Ms Lin's writing, I can't wait for Butterfly Swords!
Christine
The Taming of Mei Lin is the fierce little story of the young and beautiful Wu Mei Lin, who having been orphaned as a child has been raised by her Aunt and Uncle, and minds her uncle's noodle stand in their village. At one time, Mei Lin caught the eye of a local magistrate who proposed to make Mei Lin is third wife. Disgusted by such a proposal, the headstrong Mei Lin declared she would only marry the man who could best her in a sword fight. Since then, men have come and gone, none of them able...more
Jeanne
C'est un pur hasard, mais j'ai justement lancé un fil sur le forum des Éditions Laska concernant les contextes linguistiquement/culturellement appropriés en littérature : Littérature francophone = contextes francophones ? J'ai été étonnée de voir que certains auteurs considèrent impossible de situer une histoire dans un contexte qui leur serait étranger, ou du moins impossible que cela donne quoi que ce soit de valable. Pourtant, en romance historique, on ne fait que ça…

Je serais curieuse de sav...more
Nakeesha
Fantastic! "The Taming of Mei Lin" by Jeannie Lin is the novella that begins the Tang Dynasty series. Mei Lin's story is a short work, only 50 pages, that packs a really big punch.

We meet Mei Lin working in her aunt and uncle's noodle stand. A handsome stranger has ambled into town and is watching her. He approaches Mei Lin and humbly asks...for a fight! And then their off sword fighting!

You finally get a description of the heroine through her movements in swordplay as she gracefully and skillfu...more
Hannah
A short and enjoyable read, if a little too short. That's always the trouble with short stories, I suppose. It's hard to do any real character or plot development, and considering how much I liked of what we saw of Mei Lin and Shen Leung, it makes me wonder what it could've been if it was a full-length novel. The threat from Zhou was also resolved a little too easily; considering the trouble he posed to Mei Lin throughout the book, I wanted to see more closer in that department.

That said, Jeanni...more
A.
A very short novella that serves as a sort of prequel to Butterfly Swords, centered as it is on Ai Li's grandmother and the history she alludes to in that book. Since it is so short, there isn't a great deal to say about it except perhaps that it's entertaining and very fun, albeit sparse on character development and explanations. (What is the letter Shen Leung is so quick to snatch from Mei Lin? Who was Mei Lin's master?)

I do wish it hadn't centered so much on Shen Leung rescuing Mei Lin at th...more
Megan Kelly
Sep 07, 2010 Megan Kelly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: every
I highly recommend THE TAMING OF MEI LIN by new author Jeannie Lin. This Harlequin Undone is a prequel to her October Harlequin Historical, BUTTERFLY SWORDS. Set in ancient China, the story sparkles with vibrant description and great storytelling. The main characters' swordplay reads not only with dramatic action but as compelling foreplay. I could feel the heat of the day and the heat of their growing attraction for each other. The author has developed a fantastic story with real characters and...more
Kristen
I certainly hope that these two pop up at some point in Butterfly Swords because I liked both characters a lot and I really want to know what Shen's top secret imperial mission was. I also want to know who Mei Lin's sword master was. Also I found Mei Lin so unintentionally amusing.
If they don't, then I can only say that I wish this was longer so we could get to know the characters better. It was a nice read but I do have an issue with the title - I just don't think it's at all accurate for the s...more
Elizabeth
Another novella (or short story, who knows) by Jeannie Lin I bought in a hurry thinking it was a full novel. Another novella that should have been a full length novel. There aren’t enough well-written Romances set in China, particularly historical China.

The set up was excellent. A beautiful young woman vows not to marry until she meets the man who can beat her with a sword. When a stranger appears, it may be that she has met her match. There is so much here that could be built out into a story....more
Ewa
It had great potential but the second half felt lackluster.
Still, an enjoyable read.
T.L. Morganfield
Is it a fair statement to say that I'm only giving this four stars because it is so short? Hmmmm.... Well, I think the main issue I had was that because it was so short, the romance felt like it progressed too quickly. Perhaps if the characters' reactions to each other very early in the story had been stronger, the attraction apparent from first sight, then the way it unfolds would have worked better for me. On the whole though, I liked the story, particularly since I'd just read Butterfly Sword...more
Cid Tyer
The Taming of Mei Lin was super cool. There was enough history included to make me understand and appreciate the background. Mei Lin has a sort of Cinderella life, if Cinderella kicked lots of booty. I'm not sure why her and Shen wound up fighting. If he was on a mission, was he passing through when he heard about the challenge, or came there for her, I wasn't sure. But, I still liked their story. There's some action, some quieter moments and an ending that leads you to believe that their story...more
Katie

I think this suffered some from reading it over several settings, but also? I read some reviews that talked about Mei Lin needing to be rescued and that's not always a dealbreaker for me (they can rescue each other!), but this did seem to go too far in that direction. The Mei Lin I got to know in these few pages could take care of herself!

But the premise is fun (I've wanted to read this for a long time based on that) and I think I might've liked it better if this had been a full length...more
Laylah
No matter how well the author handle the romance and chemistry within such a few pages, the incredulity I found at the very end of this book just drop the grade I intended to give from 4 to 3 stars. Considering Chinese palanquin's design, you don't climb into one after chasing away an enermy and threatening him his life a mere second ago no matter how horny you are. No. It's just plain dumb -- like jumping into a sword box without anything magic about it.
Zen Cho
Fluffy, enjoyable read with wuxia flavour. Liked that the reference to the fact that Mei Lin's swordmaster wasn't a man and loved that because she didn't know how to seduce the dude, she decided to kill him. Now that's my idea of a heroine!

Unusually, I quite liked the alpha hero. I think it's because Mei Lin's obviously pretty alpha herself!
Jamie Lyn
Awesome prequel to Butterfly Swords. It was nice and short and very action packed. It only took a little over an hour to read. I actually liked that I read Butterfly Swords first because you hear about this story in it then it really comes to life once you read this. Can't wait for Jeannie Lin to come out with more books.
Tasmia
The one word I have for this is "awesome." Because it was. The compressed, action-packed story works, and Lin's writing is deft and engaging. I would have liked to see more, and the story certainly could have been told in a more extended way, but even with its abrupt ending I found it a satisfying read.
Zoe
Loved this! Have no time to dive into Butterfly Swords right now, but can't wait.
Loved the imperial China setting, the romance, and the depiction of the characters especially Mei Lin! I just wish it was longer.
  • Don't Look Back
  • The Best Man
  • Deceiving the Protector (Resurrection, #2)
  • Undercover Lovers
  • Edge of Survival
  • Tactical Deception (Silent Warrior, #2)
  • Catch Me
  • Wild Encounter
  • Innocent in the Sheikh's Harem (Armstrong Sisters #1)
  • One Good Reason
  • Still Lake
  • Beautiful Bad Man (Sutton Family, #1)
  • Fight or Flight
  • An Accidental Seduction (Accidental, #1)
  • Rush of Pleasure (Primal Instinct, #8)
  • The Merzetti Effect
  • Witness Seduction
  • Worth the Trip
USA TODAY Bestselling author Jeannie Lin grew up fascinated with stories of Western epic fantasy and Eastern martial arts adventures. When her best friend introduced her to romance novels in middle school, the stage was set. Jeannie started writing her first romance while working as a high school science teacher in South Central Los Angeles. After four years of trying to break into publishing with...more
More about Jeannie Lin...
Butterfly Swords (Tang Dynasty, #1) The Lotus Palace (The Pingkang Li Mysteries, #1) My Fair Concubine (Tang Dynasty, #3) The Dragon and the Pearl (Tang Dynasty, #2) The Sword Dancer (Tang Dynasty, #4)