Start by marking “American Catholic: The Saints and Sinners Who Built America's Most Powerful Church” as Want to Read:

"A cracking good story with a wonderful cast of rogues, ruffians and some remarkably holy and sensible people." --Los Angeles Times Book Review

Before the potato famine ravaged Ireland in the 1840s, the Roman Catholic Church was barely a thread in the American cloth. Twenty years later, New York City was home to more Irish Catholics than Dublin. Today, the United States boa
Published October 27th 1998 by Vintage (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about American Catholic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Catholic

Mark Desrosiers
Sep 13, 2007 Mark Desrosiers rated it liked it
Shelves: history
Looking for personal insight, I was dismayed to discover that my own Catholic experience (at St. Rose parish, in East Hartford, CT) didn't seem to dovetail with this absorbing account at all! Where were the Asian-Americans? The French Canadian immigrants? The blue-collar Connecticut and Nebraska Catholic fuck-ups? Still, very well-researched.
Bree
Mar 27, 2013 Bree rated it it was amazing
I read this book many years ago and was extremely impressed. I was not raised Catholic, but this history of the church in America kept me on the edge of my seat. This book is also about immigration, violence and the growth of America's cities. Always relevant!
Jessica
Feb 17, 2009 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a Catholic who often struggles with "official" positions on issues of personal morality and interspecies ethics, I found Morris' historical account of the American Catholic Church to be comforting. Far from the monolithic institution sometimes portrayed in films and tv, the Church, according to Morris, is comprised of fairly autonomous clergy who tailor their dioceases and parishes to the needs of the people.

My only gripe about the book is that *I* read it ten years too late. I found myself
Jim
Sep 09, 2010 Jim rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. This was no oh-the-church-is-so-great whitewash. A fair and balanced analysis of the history of the Catholic church is the US, warts and all, written by someone with an overall positive view of the institution. The sex abuse scandal is discussed, but this book was published in 1997, before the big wave broke over the past decade. I was surprised to learn that I am in the majority not the minority with the doubts (to put it mildly) I have with several of the church's ...more
Siobhan
May 19, 2008 Siobhan rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book was all the rage when I read it a few years ago. It was an exhaustive study of the Catholic Church in the US, including ideas about the future of the American Catholic Church. It was written before 2002, so the scandal that is currently plaguing the Church isn't touched upon. For anyone interested in learning about the development of the Catholic Church in America, though, this is the book to read.
Lindsay
Dec 03, 2007 Lindsay rated it liked it
As a recent convert to Catholicism, I wanted to learn about the Church's experience in America. This book fit the bill. The interplay between ethnic groups was particularly interesting, and gives me a lot of insight on present-day Chicago and New York.
James
Jan 02, 2008 James rated it liked it
Shelves: lmu
i read the hardcover edition
Jim Moffett
Aug 31, 2013 Jim Moffett rated it it was amazing
08-98
Robert Federline
This book is about so much more than the Catholic Church in America. It details divisions in the Church and the ebb and flow of life within the Church, and then places that all in the context of the constantly changing political and economic landscape of the United States of America. it is a macro-view of these two bodies and their changing interaction.

It demonstrates how unconventional each is in the world. Catholics were (and in many places, still are) heavily discriminated against. The tale i
Crystal
Sep 17, 2014 Crystal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
Fascinating account of the history of the Catholic Church in the U. S. - and the influence of Irish clergy on its development.
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2012
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2013
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2014
Joe
Joe rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Lynne
Lynne rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
Man
Man rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2009
John
John rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2012
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2009
Zachary Bush
Zachary Bush rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2011
Genevieve Joubert
Genevieve Joubert rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2016
Rachael Eggebeen
Rachael Eggebeen rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2014
Dustin Hartley
Dustin Hartley rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2011
Frederick
Frederick rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2012
Tom Dougherty
Tom Dougherty rated it liked it
May 17, 2014
Mary Schroeder
Mary Schroeder rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2015
Jason Carlson
Jason Carlson rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2016
Sterling Fritz
Sterling Fritz rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2010
Richard
Richard rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2014
Ashley Olzendam
Ashley Olzendam rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2015
William Montgomery
William Montgomery rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2015
More about Charles R. Morris...