Chazown: "khaw-ZONE" - A Different Way to See Your Life

Chazown: "khaw-ZONE" - A Different Way to See Your Life

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  370 ratings  ·  49 reviews
A Different Way to See Your Life. Vision and Purpose: Dream It, Live It, Attain It! Do you wake up each day motivated by knowing exactly why you were created? Guided by intention in every step? Enter: Chazown. Hebrew for "vision," God wants to give His for you, and this book will reveal it!
Kindle Edition
Published (first published March 20th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Chazown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chazown

Dan Cooley
I enjoy reading Craig Groeschel - almost as much as I enjoy robbing his free resources from LifeChurch.tv. This book is to help you discover your life’s purpose. As much as I have enjoyed Craig in the past, response to Chazown is bipolar. Part I loved, some I hated.

I Loved

That Craig included a section about setting a vision for our finances. I wish I had read it 30 years ago.

I Hated

The out-of-context title. The title Chazown (pronounced khaw-ZONE) is the Hebrew word translated “vision” in Prover...more
James
Sometimes, I am overly critical and curmudgeony against mega-churches and their pastors but I like Craig Groeschel a lot. And I really like this book, Chazown, a lot, but I got problems with the title. So while this is generally a pretty positive review, the next paragraph is a little cranky. If you’re avoiding negativity in your life, you might want to skip it and pick up this review in paragraph three.

The title, Chazown comes from the Hebrew: חָזוֹן or ḥāzôn (Romanized according to SBL). As Cr...more
Chris
Bad Title = Great Help!

When I first picked up Craig Groeschel's book Chazown I saw a 235 page paperback and thought, "Let me get comfortable for a nice read." About forty minutes later I was done and realized this is not a book, or a bible study, but a field manual for those seeking to live a God purposed life.

Craig's first challenge is to help us find the "sweet spot" in life. The place where our core values, spiritual gifts and past experiences intersect. This is accomplished by page 65. I pau...more
Edwina Cowgill
Chazown: (pronounced khaw-zone) from the Hebrew, meaning a dream, revelation or vision.”

Craig Groeschel’s Chazown is based on the verse found in Proverbs 29:18: “Where there is no vision, the people perish.” The subtitle sums up the entire book: Define Your Vision, Pursue Your Passion, Live Your Life on Purpose. Who among us does not want to know whether or not we are living God’s vision for our lives?

In a Biblically-based, reader-friendly format, Mr. Groeschel walks the readers through the nec...more
Fylvia
If I had the patience, I’d look up the page number for you. But somewhere in Chazown, Groeschel says something like “You’ve got just one shot at life, so live it for the second embrace.” (Referring, of course, to Jesus’ hug at the pearly gates.)

This book is a manual on how to live that kind of life–a life outlined, motivated and charged by a vision. But not just any vision; not what you aspire for yourself, not what your family dreams for you. The vision is God’s–what God foresees for you, what...more
Auriette
Have you ever paused on the journey through life and wondered if you’re doing what you’re meant to be doing, living the life you’re supposed to live? I most certainly have. I’ve often looked back at the meandering path my life’s taken, wondered at the unexpected joys I’ve experienced around one turn, speculated on what might have been if I’d traveled a different route.

Looking back is one thing. Look ahead, especially as the years pile up, and you may begin to question your choices and direction....more
Grace
Chazown
By Craig Groeschel
Chazown is an inspiring book written to help you live your life purpose. It does this by helping the reader to define their vision and passions.
I do not usually read books in the religious aspect because I follow a very non denominational life style that follows God and not a church.
I was relieved to find this book not dwelling on religion but on faith and bible basics.
The author uses humor to get his points across to the reader and there were several incidents that not...more
Victor Gentile
Craig Groeschel in his new book, "Chazown" published by Multnomah Books looks at the Hebrew word for vision.

Looking at the word, Chazown don't you just expect when you say it that a sound like thunder and a lighting bolt to come zipping from the sky striking a young newsboy in a red pullover and then watching him become a grown man in a red outfit with a lightning bolt on his chest? Well that only works in the comics however this is a powerful word. Chazown, pronounced Khaw-zone, is the Hebrew w...more
Joon Park
Craig Groeschel's Chazown is a five star book with some sloppy three star content. It's a Christian book made for non-Christians and made for those who do not like books.

With some unique fonts, pictures, colors, and activities (yes, activities), Groeschel offers a practical handbook on God's vision for your life. On a theological level it largely fails, but on the practical level it is a reasonable success. If you remove all the references to the Bible, you'd still have about 80% left for a pra...more
Theresa
For anyone who has ever questioned why they are here and what their purpose is, this book will definitely help you begin the process of self-reflection and examination to point you in the right direction.

Chazown, pronounced (khaw-Zone) is a Hebrew word meaning dream, revelation or vision. Chazown by Craig Groeschel is a self-development book with a Christian perspective. Based on the premise that God has made each of us with a unique purpose in mind. In order to fulfill our God-given purpose we...more
Dan
Daniel Butcher
Throughout Chazown author Craig Groeschel makes one simple thing clear. We are all going somewhere but few are going there on purpose. Our relationships, finances, work, health and more are all moving towards a positive or negative direction; but few people are directing that path to match their purpose. Groeschel introduces his reader to the Hebrew word Chazown, which means dream, revelation or vision. Groeschel argues that everyone has a Chazown which is the God designed purpose for one’s life...more
Robert Stump
Homo Homini Lupus

Craig Groeschel opens *Chazown* with an interesting anecdote where he asks the reader to imagine himself lying on his deathbed. He tells the reader that we are all dying and to expect one day to look back at our lives. Then he poses the question which sets the tone for the rest of the book. "Why was important that I existed?"

Groeschel wants everyone to understand that the Lord of creation does so with a purpose: "Before I formed you in the w...more
Andrew
Craig Groeschel teaches readers in his book called, “Chazown” how to find their vision for their life. For many readers they might be wondering what a Chazown is. Chazown (pronounced khaw-zone) defined in the Hebrew language is a dream or a vision. Craig leads us in defining God’s vision for your life. You have the power to choose what you do with your own life. He helps identify your vision and how to find out what God is telling you to do with your life. He provided examples from his own life...more
Kristina
Everyone longs for purpose in life. The Bible promises us that we were created for a purpose...a purpose that God has ordained for us, however how many of us WISH we knew exactly what that purpose was? What is it that we are created for? During this time of "in between" birth and death, what exactly are we supposed to be doing?

In his book Chazown, Craig Groeschel approaches these questions from a informative, Biblical view. In the first part of this book, Craig Groeschel discusses what Chazown...more
Melissa
I really like this book for a number of reason. The first reason is that it really makes you think. And the best part about the thinking is that it makes you think about a general concept that we all sort of talk about (God has a plan for your life) in a more concrete way (what is God’s plan for your life?). I think sometimes we often assume we can’t know God’s plan or purpose for our life so we don’t think critically about the spiritual gifts or the core values that God has given us. This book...more
Aronkai
This book had access to pretty nice web site which had tools you were able to use while reading the book.

1. Decide that an accidental life is not for you, and start seeking God's direction, His Chazown that is custom-designed for you (202).
2. Define your gifts, core values, and your past experiences. Prayerfully examine how these overlap and point toward God's vision for your life (202).
3. Write a vision statement, and establish specific, measurable, and written goals to fulfill the vision (202...more
Kelly
This book is all about every part of your life is going to end up somewhere. Where you are in your relationships, with your career, with your studies, health, spiritually etc. If you want to succeed, you need to have a plan on how you are going to sow into each of these part of your lives. How are you going to have a better relationship with your spouse or friends? How are you going to have good health? How are you going to grow with your relationship with God? How are you going to grow financia...more
Mj
This book will help you become accountable to yourself and others. Full of To Do's to keep you motivated and for you to follow through your tasks.Comes with a website for personal reflection and tracking of progress.
Dee
It's a good, lively discussion of the process of discovering and living out a personal vision for a disciple's life of following Jesus Christ. I read it and looked at personal applications. I did not find it deeply introspective the first time I read it, but the opportunity is covered to explore the life with Christ more deeply.

It may be best used in a small group with discussion and sharing of insights. Others can often see attributes that we cannot identify on our own. The book is a door-open...more
Debbie Revor
This book helped clarify my purpose. I went through this book in a life group and it helped everyone in the class to find and start to life out what God's purpose is for them.
Jeremy
"Getting Things Done" meets "Purpose Driven Life"...

Good if you are a young Christian (or one who has yet to focus their faith) needing a better understanding of how to weave your faith through all areas of you life. It's very much an entry level Christ-centering, vision-casting book. Nothing is wrong with that and it's much needed for many people...

But for those who are hoping to enhance your already existing life-vision, don't bother.
Tehila
I was looking forward to receiving this book, but was a little disappointed once I read it. There is nothing earth shattering here, it is full of basic self help advice. That said, it is a fine book for people, mainly Christians, who are in a place of needing to discover who they are, what God wants from them, what their 'purpose' is. It is not a bad book by any means, it just isn't comprised of revolutionary information either.
Damon
I'm a fairly big Craig Groeschel fan, but this book just didn't do it for me. The basic idea of finding direction and doing things purposefully is great. However, I found the circles and spokes to be a lot more common sense than Biblical. Maybe I'm just too jaded by all the self-help gurus, but there didn't seem to be a lot of meat here.
Judy Sunderman
This book is based on the idea stated in Provers 29:18, "Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he." Chazown means vision in Hebrew. Groeschel presents steps to define and refine how you see your God given purpose in life and the steps to lead you there. It is well written and compelling.
Shannon
This is a good read for people trying to get their lives on track and head down the road to somewhere.

If interested, my review of it is over on the blog.
Alicia
I really need to finish this book. It was given to me as a gift and I have not had the chance to read much of it. This is a creative book into realizing your vision in life. Chazown (pronounced khaw-ZONE) from the Hebrew, meaning a dream, revelation, or vision. The name alone is worth looking into
Emily
Aug 21, 2010 Emily marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I REALLY like this so far. I went in to Barnes and Nobles telling myself I would not buy anything, but I picked it up and I was hooked pretty quickly. It is all about figuring out your God given vision for your life. It is awesome. It has lots of reflective exercises to get you thinking.
Tim Neff
A very uplifting motivational book on casting a vision for your life. If you're looking for a solid book without getting knocked over the head with bible verses and theology this would be it.

Great gift for a non christian or an on the fence christian.
Stacey
This is the a great read to lead you into a "thought" provoked conversation with God on the plan He has for your life. It starts the wheels turning and gives you a way to get going in the right prayerful direction. I LOVE IT!
  • An Unstoppable Force: Daring to Become the Church God Had in Mind
  • Wild Goose Chase: Reclaim the Adventure of Pursuing God
  • Sun Stand Still: What Happens When You Dare to Ask God for the Impossible
  • The Grace of God
  • Holy Discontent: Fueling the Fire That Ignites Personal Vision
  • Who Is This Man?: The Unpredictable Impact of the Inescapable Jesus
  • Plan B: What Do You Do When God Doesn't Show Up the Way You Thought He Would?
  • Jim and Casper Go to Church: Frank Conversation about Faith, Churches, and Well-Meaning Christians
  • No Perfect People Allowed: Creating a Come as You Are Culture in the Church
  • Revolution
  • Finding God in Unexpected Places
  • Lead Like Jesus: Lessons from the Greatest Leadership Role Model of All Time
  • The Divine Romance
Craig Groeschel (born December 2, 1967) is the founder and senior pastor of LifeChurch.tv, a church with thirteen locations in six states. He is married with six children and lives in Edmond, Oklahoma, a suburb of Oklahoma City, where LifeChurch.tv is based.

Groeschel was born in Houston, Texas and grew up in southern Oklahoma, attending Ardmore High School. He attended Oklahoma City University, a...more
More about Craig Groeschel...
The Christian Atheist: Believing in God But Living as If He Doesn't Exist Weird: Because Normal Isn T Working Soul Detox: Clean Living in a Contaminated World It: How Churches and Leaders Can Get It and Keep It Altar Ego: Becoming Who God Says You Are