Start by marking “Irving and Muktuk: Two Bad Bears” as Want to Read:
Irving and Muktuk: Two Bad Bears

Irving and Muktuk: Two Bad Bears (Irving and Muktuk)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Every year the little town of Yellowtooth celebrates the New Year with a Blueberry Muffin Festival. But every year, the festivities come under a shadow cast by Irving and Muktuk, two polar bears whose badness is equaled only by their thick-headedness.
These bears are muffin-pilferers of the worst kind. Therefore, they have to contend with Officer Bunny, who is the law in Y...more
Published September 24th 2001 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Irving and Muktuk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Irving and Muktuk

Kathryn
Mar 30, 2009 Kathryn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kathryn by: Abigail--thank you!
This book is hilarious!!! I could not stop chuckling. So absurd, so amusing--so clever. The illustrations...! Oh my gosh, it's such a delightful hodgepodge. Seriously, two blueberry-muffin-obsessed polar bears continually crashing an annual Blueberry Muffin Festival and thwarted by the incomparable Officer Bunny. What's not to love!? (The tale was enhanced by the fact that, owing to some delightful serendipity, Tyler made muffins the same day I read the book!)
Ginny Messina
While I read lots of kidlit and YA lit, I rarely read picture books. But I couldn’t resist this after following some discussion of it on Goodreads. And now I think I’m hooked on Daniel and Jill Pinkwater. This book is a hoot! It's laugh out loud funny. You can tell, of course, from the last page that there is going to be more. I’m off to find out what these bears are up to next. I hope we get to meet Officer Bunny again, too!

Cheryl in CC NV
Oh so very funny. I had to read parts of it aloud to my husband, who is in his 50s and normally reads thrillers - he laughed, too. I mean, start with the names - a Jew and an Innuit? The vibrancy of the illustrations - who knew the Arctic could be seen as colorful? Well, according to the bio on the back flap, Jill Pinkwater is confident her art is appropriate. And I agree. Oh, and the happy ending is perfect. It almost has the vibe of Where the Wild Things Are - even the most naughty childlike b...more
Lisa Vegan
Oct 17, 2008 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all young children & their adults, anyone with a sense of humor including adults without kids
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
This book is hilarious and the illustrations are wonderful.

The first thing I did when I finished this book was to reserve three other Two Bad Bears books at the library.

I vacillated between giving this book 4 and 5 stars and ultimately awarded it the extra star because of Irving and Muktuk’s final plan (in this book) to steal the blueberry muffins. I’m going to be recommending this to all my friends with young kids and to all the places where I’ve volunteered working with children.
Rachel
This was my first Irving and Muktuk book. The illustrations are very colorful and have a lot of funny details, which I liked. The book was cute, but I though the writing was kind of choppy, and some of the jokes were kind of "off." I love quirky stuff, and some of it was funny (e.g., the non-regulation Girl Scout Uniforms), but some of it just wasn't. However, I think kids about 4 or 5 years old would howl in laughter at the absurdity of much of it (which, actually, I do like, too), so ... I'm s...more
Julia Jasztal
(Mommy's review from 2/20/12)

If there's ever been a time that I knew Julia and I were pretty "off", it's now. The fantastic ratings leave me confused. Mighty confused.
I guess I wouldn't say this is 'bad' but it's certainly no better than
'okay' in our opinions.
The muffins, the two bears, the sheriff or whatever he was, I don't know. I grabbed it off the shelf at the library and let's just say I'm glad I didn't pay for it. And let's also say Julia won't be asking for it again I'm sure.
The beginning of the bad bears. The kiddos are amused by this because the bears, they are not so smart, and even so, they manage to outwit the townspeople for a number of years with a variety of disguises and plots, foiled only by the bunny police. Lovely tongue in cheek humor, which is fun for adults and children on different levels. In the end, they are polar bears and they behave as any muffin loving polar bear would. And who among us doesn't love an illicit blueberry muffin?
Jetta
Silly, but my son liked it.
Duane
Although this book was highly recommended by other librarians, I just couldn't find the humor in it. The illustrations are not really my liking, but I really don't think children will enjoy them either because of their confusing perspectives. The storyline was odd and I just don't think your average youngster will enjoy it much. There are a ton of books out there much better.
JustOneMoreBook.com
Chucked full of colour, wacky wording and two bad bears bent on blueberry muffins, this crazy book is wacky, arctic fun.

Listen to our chat about this book on our JustOneMoreBook.com Children's Book Podcast:

Brian Cave
This is a great little picture book that has a repeating theme, in which the children will love. The two polar bears love muffins and will do anything and everything to bash an annual muffin fest. Great book, with good humor.
Angie
How could anyone resist a blueberry muffin festival? Irving and Muktuk sure can't! Too bad they are polar bears and Officer Bunny is on their trail. He manages to thwart them every year. Some of their disguises are ingenious!
Beverly
Silly story; cartooney illustrations, not my favorite style. They look kind of amateurish to me.
Daniel Golden
It's a cute story which will hopefully teach my three month old son about the dire repercussions of attempted forbidden blueberry muffin theft, but I think that the illustrations are kind of crummy.
Paula

Two muffin-loving polar bears make a yearly attempt to use stealth and subterfuge to get muffins at the Yellowtooth Blueberry Muffin Festival.
Jenny
The kids thought this was funny. The bears and their attempts to get the muffins at the annual Blueberry muffin festival are silly.
Jan
My teens and I fell in love with these muffin-loving polar bears and their ruthless pursuit of blueberry muffins!
Julia
I don't love this nearly as much as Pinkwater's chapter books, but it still has his goofy sense of humor.
Jen
I liked the penguin disguise and the girl scout disguise the best!
CLM
Very cute story (and it made me hungry for muffins too!).
Nancy
Anything about Irving and Muktuk is excellent!
Marisa
really fun to read out loud to a kid
Yolanda Harris
Yolanda Harris marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
20575
Daniel Manus Pinkwater is an author of mostly children's books and is an occasional commentator on National Public Radio. He attended Bard College. Well-known books include Lizard Music, The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death, Fat Men from Space, Borgel, and the picture book The Big Orange Splot. Pinkwater has also illustrated many of his books in the past, although for more recent works that...more
More about Daniel Pinkwater...
The Big Orange Splot Lizard Music The Neddiad: How Neddie Took the Train, Went to Hollywood, and Saved Civilization 5 Novels: Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy from Mars / Slaves of Spiegel / The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death / The Last Guru / Young Adult Novel The Hoboken Chicken Emergency