Start by marking “Grown-Up Girlfriends: Finding and Keeping Real Friends in the Real World” as Want to Read:
Grown-Up Girlfriends: Finding and Keeping Real Friends in the Real World

Grown-Up Girlfriends: Finding and Keeping Real Friends in the Real World

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Even when life is hectic and harried, every woman has a God-given longing for relationship, and her female friends play an important role in filling that. Oliver and Smalley help women distinguish between self-centered, insecure, childish relationships and other-centered, healthy, "grown-up" relationships. Using personal anecdotes and scriptural principles, they explain te ...more
Published March 20th 2007 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published March 6th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Grown-Up Girlfriends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grown-Up Girlfriends

Claire Smith
some pretty decent advice in here. Now where do I go to find these ladies?
Debi
Friendships - they aren't much easier in adulthood than they were in growing up. This book tackles the subject of being mature in our friendships - particularly for women's friendships. It addresses various issues such as forgiveness, conflict resolution, communication skills, and grieving the loss of a friendship.
In growing in our relationship with Christ, this helps us to grow in our friendships with other women. Learning that ultimately He is our primary friend, He also uses others in our liv
Norma
I honestly think I have A LOT of growing up to do.. This book helped me realize that I haven't been very mature with all my friendships. Growing up is not a number thing it's a choice we make.
Kristin
I thought this book had some great insights on friendships. I liked the basket concept, the levels of intimacy stages, the info on pushing buttons and what fear might look like, the lists of friendship skills, the permission to let go of some friendships, communication and more. I also appreciated the insight that 'men experience intimacy through shared activities, and women experience intimacy through verbal self-disclosure and shared emotion' (p. 102)

I'm going to enjoy giving this book as gra
Jenny
Feb 26, 2008 Jenny rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All Women
Recommended to Jenny by: Small Group Study
Shelves: christian-reads
While this is a great book, it's original goal was for a small group. I wouldn't recommend it for a group of long time believers. The principle is simple and not really meaty enough for a group Bible study and there is a lack of scriptual references. The advise is good and I would recommend this book really to any woman...but more as a solo read.
Elisa
I grew up without any idea of what a healthy relationship looked like. This book shows that God puts people in our lives for a reason. I really liked how it explained that not everybody is supposed to be your best friend and that learning how to distinguish between them can help put a lot less strain on your friendships!
Heather
Mostly cheesy but has some GREAT points to walk away with about adult friendship. We did the book through a woman's bible study. By the last 4+ chapters, we were ready to be done with the book, but we were all glad we had at least done the book.
Mandy J. J.
This is a good book to read for a Biblical overview of frienship. I would suggest anyone who is struggling with a frienship read it for great Biblical advice on solving some of your frienship frustrations.
Gabrielle
This book is about how to maintain a healthy relationship with your best friend. Even as you grow older and marriage and children get in the way this book helps you keep a friendship strong.
Gina
I've read several books on friendship for women and this is the first that I've enjoyed and felt answered the questions I've had. Very practical and encouraging.
It's a hard world to navigate. This deals with all types of frienships and helped me not take things so personally. I have given this book to many of my close friends.
Christie
A glance at what the Bible says about women and friendship. Explains what God had in mind about our roles as friends when he created us.
Heidi
Oct 18, 2007 Heidi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: yes
A very great book on a subject that is dear to my heart. It was a gift from Natalie and I cherish it!
Iraina Valencia
This is a great and easy read.
Stacey
Stacey is currently reading it
Jan 17, 2015
Freckles
Freckles marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Nicole
Nicole added it
Jan 15, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Ali
Ali marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Brooke
Brooke is currently reading it
Nov 26, 2014
LB
LB marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Melissa Tessman
Melissa Tessman marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Angie Dufner
Angie Dufner marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Little Book of Great Dates The Wholehearted Wife: 10 Keys to a More Loving Relationship Before You Plan Your Wedding...Plan Your Marriage Expectant Parents: Preparing Together for the Journey of Parenthood Take the Date Night Challenge 52 Creative Ideas to Make Your Marriage Fun