Start by marking “Grown-Up Girlfriends: Finding and Keeping Real Friends in the Real World” as Want to Read:
Grown-Up Girlfriends: Finding and Keeping Real Friends in the Real World

Grown-Up Girlfriends: Finding and Keeping Real Friends in the Real World

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  90 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Even when life is hectic and harried, every woman has a God-given longing for relationship, and her female friends play an important role in filling that. Oliver and Smalley help women distinguish between self-centered, insecure, childish relationships and other-centered, healthy, “grown-up” relationships. Using personal anecdotes and scriptural principles, they explain te ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published March 6th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Grown-Up Girlfriends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grown-Up Girlfriends

Shannon
Jan 29, 2016 Shannon rated it it was amazing
I bought this book about 2 years ago and finally sat down and read it this past week. Although it brought up painful things the insight was very helpful to me. I found the idea of the basket friendship to be interesting. One chapter that stood out the most was Chapter 8 The Grown Up Friend Forgives. It was also the hardest chapter for me to read! Two things that stood out was this: Reconciliation is an agreement that the friendship will be different- hopefully better because two people have come ...more
Sarabeara
Jan 30, 2016 Sarabeara rated it it was amazing
This book was suggested by a beautiful friend who may not be a "Bucket 1" friend per the books ideas however the wisdom she has in sharing this book I am so thankful for. This book provides great wisdom and insight on building friendships at different levels, being a safe person, intimacy, growing past hurts, allowing yourself to be you and allowing others to be themselves. The real key for me was being a safe friend. This book is definitely worth the read if you truly want to build great friend ...more
Claire Smith
some pretty decent advice in here. Now where do I go to find these ladies?
Debi
Jun 04, 2011 Debi rated it really liked it
Friendships - they aren't much easier in adulthood than they were in growing up. This book tackles the subject of being mature in our friendships - particularly for women's friendships. It addresses various issues such as forgiveness, conflict resolution, communication skills, and grieving the loss of a friendship.
In growing in our relationship with Christ, this helps us to grow in our friendships with other women. Learning that ultimately He is our primary friend, He also uses others in our liv
Norma
Jan 21, 2014 Norma rated it really liked it
I honestly think I have A LOT of growing up to do.. This book helped me realize that I haven't been very mature with all my friendships. Growing up is not a number thing it's a choice we make.
Kristin
May 19, 2011 Kristin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-living
I thought this book had some great insights on friendships. I liked the basket concept, the levels of intimacy stages, the info on pushing buttons and what fear might look like, the lists of friendship skills, the permission to let go of some friendships, communication and more. I also appreciated the insight that 'men experience intimacy through shared activities, and women experience intimacy through verbal self-disclosure and shared emotion' (p. 102)

I'm going to enjoy giving this book as gra
Jenny
Feb 26, 2008 Jenny rated it liked it
Recommends it for: All Women
Recommended to Jenny by: Small Group Study
Shelves: christian-reads
While this is a great book, it's original goal was for a small group. I wouldn't recommend it for a group of long time believers. The principle is simple and not really meaty enough for a group Bible study and there is a lack of scriptual references. The advise is good and I would recommend this book really to any woman...but more as a solo read.
Elisa
Aug 20, 2009 Elisa rated it it was amazing
I grew up without any idea of what a healthy relationship looked like. This book shows that God puts people in our lives for a reason. I really liked how it explained that not everybody is supposed to be your best friend and that learning how to distinguish between them can help put a lot less strain on your friendships!
Heather
Dec 27, 2010 Heather rated it liked it
Mostly cheesy but has some GREAT points to walk away with about adult friendship. We did the book through a woman's bible study. By the last 4+ chapters, we were ready to be done with the book, but we were all glad we had at least done the book.
Mandy J. Hoffman
Jan 14, 2009 Mandy J. Hoffman rated it liked it
This is a good book to read for a Biblical overview of frienship. I would suggest anyone who is struggling with a frienship read it for great Biblical advice on solving some of your frienship frustrations.
Gabrielle
Feb 26, 2013 Gabrielle rated it really liked it
This book is about how to maintain a healthy relationship with your best friend. Even as you grow older and marriage and children get in the way this book helps you keep a friendship strong.
Gina
Aug 02, 2011 Gina rated it really liked it
I've read several books on friendship for women and this is the first that I've enjoyed and felt answered the questions I've had. Very practical and encouraging.
May 28, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
It's a hard world to navigate. This deals with all types of frienships and helped me not take things so personally. I have given this book to many of my close friends.
Christie
Oct 31, 2007 Christie rated it really liked it
A glance at what the Bible says about women and friendship. Explains what God had in mind about our roles as friends when he created us.
Heidi
Oct 18, 2007 Heidi rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: yes
A very great book on a subject that is dear to my heart. It was a gift from Natalie and I cherish it!
Iraina Valencia
Feb 19, 2008 Iraina Valencia rated it really liked it
This is a great and easy read.
Renee
Renee marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie is currently reading it
Mar 29, 2016
Christine O'laughlin
Christine O'laughlin is currently reading it
Mar 28, 2016
Annette Rogers
Annette Rogers is currently reading it
Mar 19, 2016
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Shirleym
Shirleym rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Ali added it
Jan 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Friendship for Grownups
  • Confidence of a Champion: Becoming Who You Were Created to Be by Letting Go of Lies from the Past
  • Becoming God's True Woman
  • The Cry of the Soul: How Our Emotions Reveal Our Deepset Questions about God
  • The Episcopal Handbook
  • Love and Respect / Love and Respect Workbook 2-1
  • The Emotionally Destructive Relationship: Seeing It, Stopping It, Surviving It
  • God Wants You Happy: From Self-Help to God's Help
  • No More Christian Nice Girl: When Just Being Nice--Instead of Good--Hurts You, Your Family, and Your Friends
  • Vital Friends: The People You Can't Afford to Live Without
  • The Art of Friendship: 70 Simple Rules for Making Meaningful Connections
  • You Were Born for This: Seven Keys to a Life of Predictable Miracles
  • A Third Testament: A Modern Pilgrim Explores the Spiritual Wanderings of Augustine, Blake, Pascal, Tolstoy, Bonhoeffer, Kierkegaard, and Dostoevsky
  • Strong Women, Soft Hearts: A Woman's Guide to Cultivating a Wise Heart and a Passionate Life
  • Christianity: A Very Short Introduction