Start by marking “iPhone: The Missing Manual” as Want to Read:
iPhone: The Missing Manual

iPhone: The Missing Manual

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  223 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
As you'd expect of Apple, the iPhone is gorgeous. iPhone: The Missing Manual is a book as breathtaking as its subject. Teeming with high-quality color graphics, each custom designed page helps you accomplish specific tasks -- everything from Web browsing to watching videos. Written by New York Times columnist and Missing Manual series creator David Pogue, this book shows y ...more
Published August 1st 2007 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about iPhone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about iPhone

Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Having just upgraded to an iphone 6, I was looking forward to learning the differences from my iphone 5 as well as picking up little tips along the way. The book is very comprehensive, covering nearly every aspect of iphone usage. As well, a great clickable index in the back and comprehensive troubleshooting section provide a one-stop reference for iphone ownership. The tone is friendly but my one complaint is that the g
Ursula Johnson
The Definite iPhone Guide Updated for 6, 6 Plus & iOS8

I love the Missing Manual series. I have several copies and always buy the new edition when a new iPhone comes out and the OS is updated. It doesn't matter if you already have an iPhone, are new to the OS or are wondering what the fuss is about or considering a switch. David Pogue writes with wit, these books are very funny, something you don't see in many computer manuals. They are also, full color, easy to read and understand and packed
Cathy
Review of the 5th Edition: As usual, I learned a bunch of usrful tips from this book, even though I've been using iOS 5 for months. I really recommend that all iOS 5 and iPhone 4 and 4s users check this out, no matter how handy you are or how good at exploring the options of the phone on your own, you're sure to have missed a few of the most useful tricks. And it would be a great gift for a friend who isn't quite as good at trying everything on her or his own as well.
Gary
Jun 22, 2014 Gary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Useful and thoughtfully put together.
Elizabeth Boltuc
Great book even if you have previously owned an iPhone or three. Written in a very humorous tone, wish all tech manuals were this entertaining.
Robin Hatcher
Dec 18, 2013 Robin Hatcher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: iPhone owners
The Missing Manual books are always my first choice for learning about new programs and devices.

I have been an iPhone owner since the first model. I read blogs all the time about technology. Still, I picked up quite a few tips about my iPhone 5S and iOS 7 as I went through this manual. If you have an iPhone 5, 5C, or 5S but are barely utilizing its features, I can highly recommend this book to you.
Kathy
Apr 07, 2013 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice reference book. Granted, if you have played with your phone at all, some of this is pretty basic. What I like, however, is that not only is it informative, but it's written in a fun way to read with a bit of humor sprinkled in. Even for the techno-junkies out there you can probably find out how to do something in a way you haven't discovered yet.
Daynah
Aug 22, 2009 Daynah rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book if you're an iPhone newbie. There are also some great tips and tricks if you're an iPhone veteran! With the new iPhone OS 3.0+ and iPhone 3Gs phones, there are hidden treasures everywhere. There are 17 chapters full of great information and screenshots. I highly recommend this book if you want to learn more about the iPhone.
Rayna
Feb 18, 2008 Rayna rated it it was amazing
You probably could learn everything about your iPhone on your own, but it would take a while. Progue's manual is pretty thorough and easy to skim through. I found most of what I wanted to know was highlighted in easy to find yellow text boxes ie create free ringtones, find applications, full keyboard, dowloading contacts, synching etc.
Kirsten
Jan 17, 2011 Kirsten rated it liked it
In general, I think this is an easy to read, very basic book on the iPhone. If you're totally clueless about how to use your new iPhone, it could be a lot of help.

I picked up one great tip (how to type punctuation with only one touch); other than that, I already had a good handle on the rest of the information.
Sharon
Apr 04, 2011 Sharon rated it really liked it
Shelves:
Just learned an iPhone typing tip from the someone who has read this book. If you want to put a comma in, press and hold the 123 button and drag to the comma (or any character on that side) and when you release, it takes you back to the letters keyboard!
Bozhidar
Mar 04, 2013 Bozhidar rated it liked it
I picked up a few tricks from the book, but its target group seems to be mostly people with no experience with smartphones. Therefore I found the book quite bloated at some places, with less substance that I would have liked to see.
Gary Smith
Sep 22, 2013 Gary Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best tech-type manual I have ever read. Easy to understand. Presents useful information an easy to understand, but not simplified manner. The author should be hired by the IRS to write their instructions.
Sandra
May 12, 2013 Sandra rated it it was amazing
This book has been valuable to me in understanding how the iPhone actually works and in identifying really useful shortcuts. David Pogue is much better than other authors of how to books.
J
Jun 07, 2012 J rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eeeehh. Not wonderful, but okay. Nothing new. Nothing one couldn't figure out. It's a fine starter book. Explains the basic. If you had smartphones before, this will not curl your toes
Adrianne
Jul 20, 2012 Adrianne rated it really liked it
Great book of tips, especially for those of us who don't have time to figure out the quirks and possibilities serendipitously. ;-)
Cassie
Jun 04, 2010 Cassie rated it liked it
I certainly learned new things about my phone, and I've had my phone for over a year. This was a good informative manual.
Doug
Jan 29, 2012 Doug rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a tech manual...Pogue's a good writer and it covers everything from the very basic, to the detailed.
Diana
Jun 05, 2009 Diana rated it it was ok
More for newbies - I knew almost all of these "tricks" just from using the device.
Naomi
Jun 29, 2012 Naomi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful and written by someone with a sense of humor.
Alisson
Mar 06, 2008 Alisson rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
David Pogue is the master of explanation!
Tony Taylor
Mar 26, 2010 Tony Taylor rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: any iPhone user
Great starter book for any iPhone user
Brenda Boulanger
Jan 02, 2008 Poem.gl added it
Recommends it for: Hello
Hello
priyanka sharma
priyanka sharma marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Carolyn Pierce
Carolyn Pierce marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Graden Harger
Graden Harger rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2016
  • Learning the bash Shell
  • Terminator and Philosophy: I'll Be Back, Therefore I Am
  • Norman Rockwell: Behind the Camera
  • Balarama: A Royal Elephant
  • Life Disrupted: Getting Real About Chronic Illness in Your Twenties and Thirties
  • The Geek Atlas
  • Under the Big Top: A Season with the Circus
  • Meet the Dogs of Bedlam Farm
  • Familyhood
  • Jimi: Sounds Like a Rainbow: a Story of the Young Jimi Hendrix
  • The Game from Where I Stand: A Ballplayer's Inside View
  • Michael Symon's Live to Cook: Recipes and Techniques to Rock Your Kitchen

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

David Pogue, Yale '85, is the weekly personal-technology columnist for the New York Times and an Emmy award-winning tech correspondent for CBS News. His funny tech videos appear weekly on CNBC. And with 3 million books in print, he is also one of the world's bestselling how- to authors. He wrote or co-wrote seven books in the "For Dummies" series (including Macs, Magic, Opera, and Classical Music)

More about David Pogue...