On My Own

On My Own (Diary of a Teenage Girl #4)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  880 ratings  ·  28 reviews
University life isn't what Caitlin expected. Her roommate Liz is hostile to her faith -- tormenting her with raunchy music and sleazy boyfriends. Worst of all, suddenly Caitlin doesn't understand herself anymore. Why has she regressed to being the shy, insecure girl she was in junior high? She doesn't even fit in with her new Christian fellowship group! Caitlin tries not t...more
Published February 4th 2009 by Multnomah Books (first published July 1st 2002)

Angela Sellers
I just couldn't put this book down. It helped me so much.
Bridie Macdonald
I actually picked this book up without realizing it was out of a series and hardly reading the blurb. I'm not one to write extremely negative reviews, however, I didn't enjoy this book at all. I find Caitlin's voice throughout the novel extremely irritating. I see that she's genuinely a nice person and that she always tries to do the best for others around her, although it bothers me how she takes it upon herself to "save" other characters in the book. The religious element doesn't usually bothe...more
Charlotte
So I’m in Value Village. I don’t know if you Americans have Value Village down there, but if you don’t know what it is, it’s a thrift shop chain of stores. There’s like, four in every town. It’s basically like the Tim Hortons of thrift shops. (I guess you wouldn’t know what Tim Hortons is, either.)

Sometimes I like to kill time reading the books that crop up in the book section of Value Village. I’ll kill time waiting for a family member to finish looking at drapes and bathcoats by sitting down o...more
Amancay
*sigh* God is good at putting the perfect book in my hands, with just the right timing...

I'm now completely obsessed with finding more in the series *off to check out ebay*

Melody Carlson is a great writer, and the youth angle makes for a quick & easy read... still with just enough of an intense message to get my mind, heart, and soul pressing forward into a new place with Him!
Shekinah
probably my faveorite book
Stephanie Ziegler
Feb 16, 2013 Stephanie Ziegler rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stephanie by: continuation of series
Shelves: favorites, i-bought
I found this book truly lacked any backbone in the issues that were raised. I commend Caitlin for sticking it out with Liz. She did not need God's advice to know that there was something deeper going on with Liz. However, I find it hard to believe that Caitlin could not find any friends in her classes. I realize that Caitlin was a shy girl but schools have exercises, even in the larger classes, that put students together for the purpose of meeting new people. She also could have dropped her Engl...more
$hanel
On My Own is the fourth book in the Diary of a Teenage Girl Caitlin series and gets a little more intense as it goes along. By more intense I mean that Caitlin and one of her good friends Jenny get into a big fight about body image. Here is the good part... Caitlin is now in COLLEGE! Now Caitlin is free to do whatever she wants to do! That is until Caitlin`s vicious roommate Elizabeth Banks gets on her nerve with going out late at night with her boyfriend or at some kind of drug party. While tha...more
Abigail
Great little encouraging book. I liked how her faith grows in each book... though I do wonder if she'll ever get together with Josh... I think she does, I mean the last book is called I Do! Which sound like a wedding title to me. ^_^ I like the college theme, I'm in college now and It was interesting to read. :)
Savannah
4.5 stars. So this is book 4 in the Caitlin portion of this series. We see Caitlin starting out on a new adventure in life....college!

She has to maneuver adjusting to a new school, living away from home, rooming with a difficult girl, being away from her family and friends, trying to make new friends, and of course figuring out where she stands with Josh.

So far this has actually been my favorite of the series. I gave it 4.5 stars instead of 4. I can't really tell you why I liked it a bit more t...more
Kristine
After what I considered a weaker third installment, this fourth in the series comes back with a gripping bang as Caitlin begins college. The plot and pacing were much more engaging, producing one of the more unpredictable stories so far. This time it seemed like she faced some truly trying situations, with some genuine emotions attached, instead of near-constant sunshine and lollypops.

The situation with Josh was a little weird and Caitlin does begin to wear as preachy, but I was still anxious t...more
Ruthie
ohhhh I love these books sooooo much!!!! Although I really really want to know wha happens with catlin and josh!!!
Jodi
Another great book. This one was a little hard to read. It reminded alot of my first year at college and making choices that were not always good. I had roommates similar to the character in this book and it brought up alot of old memories for me. It was a really good book though and I really enjoyed it.
Alyssa
It was good and possibly my favorite of the series, like I've said before -I don't really care for modern diary type books (historical ones I adore.) Good plot though a little predictable, the characters were fine, and the writing style was ok. So overall it was ok, I did like it though.
Couldn't put the book down, but sometimes Caitlin's christianity was unrealistic and cheesy. And the comment one character made, shocked that Caitlin's roommate was a nonbeliever and asking if that was wise to room with her was a little uncalled for.
Alex
Again - I just love Melody Carlson. The "diary" series are so entertaining to read, and while Caitlin wasn't the best character (she was REALLY preachy) I still really liked these.

Started to get kinda boring around here, though.
Emma Thurman
Bethel
Jan 05, 2008 Bethel rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christian Teens
Recommended to Bethel by: found it at the bookstore
Just like the others, still the same Catlin, but different enough to keep me reading. She keeps learning new things. I've become invested in Catlin's life, and I want to see how it turns out.
Cookielover
The promise ring part knocked off two stars. Not because I though she should've kept it but because it was put in the story...soooooo unrealistic. Okay, that knocks off three stars.
Mary Bronson
I thought this was a very good book. I enjoyed reading it. Catlin is such a great character. I enjoy reading about her. Once I got started I could not put the book down.
Kayla Mannlein
I liked the sense of new environment that Caitlin the main character faced and being a new college student myself I think I can identify new roommate or not,
This was a good one! I didn't totally get the whole covenant thing, but the message behind it, listen to God and follow him, was sound.
Jazmyn
This is a really good book about a girl in her first year of college and showing that its always not as easy as it sounds
Christiana
My best friend gave this to me when we first went to college and I loved it. Definitely a cute Christian fiction series!
Lizzie
Definitly the best so far, now join me as I try to figure out what to read next Chloe pt 1 or Caitlin pt 5
Awesome as usual!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Read it read it read it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bruna
GREAT, AWESOME, WONDERFUL BOOK ! LOOOOOOOOVE IT (:
Daddy's Girl
Loved, Loved, Loved
  • Island Dreamer (Christy Miller, #5)
Melody Carlson is the award-winning author of over two hundred books, several of them Christmas novellas from Revell, including her much-loved and bestselling book, The Christmas Bus.

She also writes many teen books, including the Diary of a Teenage Girl series, the TrueColors series, and the Carter House Girls series.

Melody was nominated for a Romantic Times Career Achievement Award in the inspi...more
More about Melody Carlson...
Becoming Me (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Caitlin, #1) Dark Blue: Color Me Lonely (TrueColors, #1) Christmas at Harrington's Blade Silver: Color Me Scarred (TrueColors, #7) It's My Life (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Caitlin, #2)