Start by marking “The Shell House” as Want to Read:
The Shell House

The Shell House

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  294 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Greg’s casual interest in the history of a ruined mansion becomes more personal as he slowly discovers the tragic events that overwhelmed its last inhabitants. Set against a background of the modern day and the First World War, Greg’s contemporary beliefs become intertwined with those of Edmund, a foot soldier whose confusion about his sexuality and identity mirrors Greg’s ...more
Published December 18th 2007 by Laurel Leaf (first published July 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Shell House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shell House

ROSSON
The Shell House is a young adult book about a teenage boy named Greg, who stumbles across the ruins of the Graveney Hall mansion whilst looking for subjects to photograph. Greg slowly becomes intrigued by the house's former inhabitants, not realising that his own life is paralleled by that of the last heir to Graveney, WW1 soldier Edmund. Whilst Greg struggles with his unexpected feelings for a classmate - a boy named Jordan - Edmund was facing a struggle in his own time, being unable to declare ...more
Rachael
An interesting book of love, war and friendship but I felt it was rather unfinished. I hate it when books are left open for the reader to make up their own minds about what could have happened. I felt that there were still some mysteries of Graveley Hall unresolved and I wanted some resolution between Greg and Dean, (view spoiler)

(view spoiler)
Kristi
I couldn't get myself to finish this book. I kept trying and trying in hopes that the novel would get better--especially with so many high reviews on Goodreads. The only plot line I found somewhat interesting was Edmund's storyline. Unfortunately, it was a minor storyline because it mostly focused on Greg and Faith.

I didn't like Newberry's writing style, which is probably one of the main reasons I put the book down. I couldn't connect with it--at times I thought the prose was too sentimental and
El Templo de las Mil Puertas
"Muchas veces se ha pretendido aleccionar a los jóvenes a través de novelas “de maduración”, pobladas con todo tipo de traumas adolescentes, rabietas y clichés exagerados con los que supuestamente debían sentirse identificados. Sin embargo, pocas veces se ha escrito sobre jóvenes de verdad, a los que se les permita ser espirituales, reflexivos, maduros, curiosos… “The Shell House” es una de esas excepciones. Cuando Greg, un joven aficionado a la fotografía, se topa por casualidad con las ruinas ...more
Lori
This book's writing style is very florid and sentimental. I knew from the summary that it probably would be. I thought by biggest complaint would be the writing style, but to my disappointment, sentimentality is the least of what made me want to throw this book at a wall. Most of the dialogue during the present times felt ridiculously staged, Edmund got to the point where he was so scornful he became a flat and unrelatable character, and the ENDING. This is the angriest I've been at the ending t ...more
Beth
It is impossible not to compare this book to this year's Carnegie Award winner, for it is the perfect companion novel to Aidan Chamber's winner Postcards from No Man's Land (Dutton Books, 2002). Both books delve into issues of world war and burgeoning sexuality with passion, elegance and authentic characters.

In The Shell House, shutterbug Greg is lured to the ruins of a mansion, where he meets a girl whose family is intent on a volunteer project to restore it. Faith becomes a pillar between his
Ms.Wietecha

Rosemary
An interesting dual time story with a present-day boy facing questions about his sexual orientation against a backdrop of a First World War love affair and mystery.

Unfortunately I thought it got bogged down in religious discussion and there was very little resolution at the end. It just seemed to end at a random moment. (view spoiler)
Rachel
Interesting. Main modern character is not resolved enough in the end and the ending leave you wanting. The modern and historic characters and not connected enough. But it is compelling. Note content in this book may not be suitable for all readers
Alex
This book (I assume this is the audio CD?) is a very good read, bouncing between modern day and one of the world wars. The caharaters are amazingly deep and the two stories reflect one another.
Stephanie
Good premise for a novel - modern teenagers coming of age juxtaposed against their First World War contemporaries. The novel mainly discusses themes of homosexuality and Christianity and, while it is to be applauded for doing so openly and seemingly without judgement, I though that this was also its weakest point because Newbury does go on, and on, and on. I found the discussions that her protagonists have to be generic with no real sense of genuine teenage speech. Mostly however, I dislike the ...more
Jeff
This book didn't go far enough. Engaging and fascinating at times, it had so much potential it ignored..
Joanne
Originally posted on Once Upon a Bookcase.

When I was first sent this to review, I wasn't sure if it would be my cup of tea. As you may have read, I'm generally not a fan of historical novels, so that aspect didn't appeal to me, especially as it was about the First World War. And I wasn't too sure about Greg's fascination with the house either. The story just didn't much appeal to me. I decided to give it a go anyway. I'm so glad I did, it's awesome!

A budding photographer, Greg takes an interest
Snuffles
I wasn't quite sure how many stars to give this book. The tie was between two and three, but in the end I decided to give it three.

There were parts of the book that I really liked and that made me want to go on. Chief among those things was the Edmund!storyline.

But then there were also endless discussions about God and faith. I have no problem with the topic itself, just to make that clear. The way it was done just seemed really forced and unnatural. I would have preferred for the author to be m
Jess
Wow! This book was just incredible and I am so glad my sister came across it so I could have the pleasure of reading it! There were so many difficult subjects; religion, sexuality, suicide but it portrayed a load of opinions from the minds of teenagers like myself. I thoroughly recommend this book to many of my friends and it has got to be one of the greatest books I have read. It is difficult often to find a book out of my usual genres but this suited me very well. :-) Great book!
C.J. Morrow
This isn't a book I would have chosen (it's YA) but a friend lent it to me. It is well written with an interesting plot alternating between now (2002 to be precise) and WW1, so topical at the moment. I found the WW1 story intriguing and wanted to know what happened to Edmund. I like the comparison between now and then. I was a bit disappointed by the ending which seemed rather abrupt.
Annette Ng
Rosie
Loved this book. The way Newberry changes from past to present is so intriguing and refreshing, it gives the book so much more interest. I loved the way Edmund's story has a blind effect on greg's own sexuality and it's only at the very he end he discovers this.

The ending is also perfectly constructed in subtly hinting what happens after the story ends.

Great read!
Neill Smith
A parallel story – Edmund in WWI falls in love with Alex, a fellow soldier. This remains a hidden love until Alex is killed in the trenches. Greg, sixty years later, is puzzled by the mystery surrounding Edmund’s burned-out estate and the disappearance of Edmund while dealing with his own adolescent nature.
Kayleigh Keller
I really enjoyed this book, thought the ending did confuse me a little. I think I know what happened (I'm not saying anything that could be a spoiler) and I must say it was a little disappointing to me. I still loved the book and I will definitely recommend it.
Trisha
I always dislike when anyone says "this book will change you". Inevitably, I always get my hopes up and they are always disappointed. it didn't change me.....
Emily
Absolutely beautiful. Sensitively and clearly written. Full of tenderness and expression. All about seeking identities.
Jo
Eeeeeh, I'm torn with the rating. Part of this was a four and part was a three...

Review eventually.
Valencia Cain
It isnt my favourite book, but a good read :)
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Claire Gamblin
Claire Gamblin marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Amanda Kingswell
Amanda Kingswell marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
The Ultimate Teen...: The Shell House - Linda Newbery 7 4 Feb 14, 2014 08:25AM
What's The Name o...: YA- set in Europe male MC late teens [s] 3 22 Jan 16, 2013 12:16PM
  • Hidden Voices: The Orphan Musicians of Venice
  • Breathing Underwater
  • My Side Of The Story
  • Awake
  • Brothers: Life, Death, Truth
  • What Night Brings
  • Always Mackenzie (Girlfriend Fiction, #4)
  • Talk
  • The Arizona Kid
  • Eight Seconds
  • Swimming in the Monsoon Sea
  • A Secret Edge
  • Outfield Menace (Gay Youth Chronicles #1)
  • Name Me Nobody
Linda Iris Newbery (born 12 August 1952, in Romford, Essex) is a British writer known best for young-adult fiction—where she entered the market, although she has broadened her range to encompass all ages. She published her first novel Run with the Hare in 1988, while still working as an English teacher in a comprehensive school. She became a full-time writer in 2000.
Linda is a regular tutor for th
More about Linda Newbery...
Posy Set in Stone Sisterland At the Firefly Gate Nevermore