My Lord and Spymaster

My Lord and Spymaster (Spymasters #3)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  1,094 ratings  ·  130 reviews
A daring beauty, she was infamous for taking chances . . .

Raised as a poor but cunning pickpocket, Jess Whitby may have grown into a wealthy young woman, but now she must once again rely on her guile. Her father's been wrongly accused of selling secrets to Napoleon, and he's going to hang—unless Jess finds the real traitor in the London underworld. She never dreamed her se...more
ebook
Published July 1st 2008 by Penguin Group (USA) Incorporated (first published 2008)

Quinn

The Spymaster's Lady is destined to be one of my top reads for 2011, so I was really interested to see if it was a fluke, or whether Joanna Bourne is one of those too rare, extremely talented authors. There's some good news and some bad news in the answer to that question.

The good news is, The Spymaster's Lady wasn't 'beginner's luck'. I loved this one too. The bad news is, there is no backlist for me to glom. How incredibly exciting to have found a new favourite author, and how disapp...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Dec 15, 2008 Shannon (Giraffe Days) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shannon (Giraffe Days) by: http://community.livejournal.com/genrereviews/46385.html
I just have to say that that hand on her back is really creeping me out. Does it not look like some kind of giant sci-fi spider? It seems out-of-proportion big. And why do the women wear the tackiest clothing on these covers? Anyway...

What we have here is a rip-snorting good adventure story, with political plot, fighting in the alleys, treason, smuggling, mystery and a shade of romance. The romance aspect is not the main focal point of the book but more like a side issue, added in for the genre...more
Catherine
I read the first book of this series, The Spymaster's Lady, and really enjoyed it. I don't know why I never bothered to pick up the next book in the series when it came out. I finally decided to get it off my wish list and order it. I really wish I hadn't. Everything that I loved about the author's style in the last book was repeated here, but it really didn't work for me.

What I really liked about the last book was the flow of the language. The heroine was French and her thoughts and dialogue re...more
Verity
Katie(babs)
The heroine of My Lord and Spymaster is Jess Whitby. Jess may seem like a respectable lady with a fortune and a successful business, but Jess has an unfortunate past as being a former thief who lived in the underbelly of Katherine Lane in London. Her father, who I really thought of as a total jackass, left Jess to fend for herself because he was never around. Without a mother to care for her, Jess had to survive anyway she knew how, so the streets became her home and thus her career as a thief,...more
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Grade: D...Very disappointing!

The Story - Shipping hieress's father isarrested for treason. She searches for the real spy. Heiress investigates the man who accused her father. They are attracted to one another as bad thing happen.

The Characters - The captain will have the heiress. She is his. Mine! The heiress is physically attracted to the captain. She hasn't felt this way since so-and-so.

The Plot - Boring!

Final Thoughts- There's a reason this book falls through the cracks. This story is unlike...more
Mfred
Here's the deal: for all that Joanna Bourne subverts genre conventions with her surprising character choices and action-filled plots, she also embraces some of the worst.

By the time I finished My Lord and Spymaster, I just wanted to throttle Jess Whitby. She is really, really, um, REALLY just almost too stupid too live. Any stupider, and the book would have been a tragedy, not a romance.

Unlike many historical romances, Jess is not a lady, a countess, a duchess, etc. She's not a virginal weeping...more
Zumbagirl
After reading The Spymaster's Lady, I was so excited to continue on in the series - but unfortunately this book did not work out well for me. While I liked both the main characters, Jess and Sebastian, their story did not grab me. The beginning was very good, especially the first two chapters, and the very end, after page 250, was good. But there's a whole lot of middle that just dragged on and on. One of my favorites in the previous book, Adrian, was here but just didn't have any real magic in...more
Susan
Even though this book took me FOREVER to read - a case of pick it up, read a few pages, put it down - because it was so well written, I had that urge to keep reading. Many other books have failed me when I've done this in the past.

I enjoyed the characters, setting, story but at time was a bit confused as to what the greater picture was as far as the 'who is Cinq' question went as this is the first book I've read by this author.

I loved the dialogue, it felt like the characters were right in fro...more
LiteraryLover
While I think this book wasn't quite as good as the first in the series, it was still a lot of fun to read and deserving of 5 stars. This author only has one more book left for me to read and that's quite sad.
I liked this book better than the first. I found the heroine to be really interesting and liked her kind-of mad, spacey genius qualities.
Alleyne
This book was Lunesta-proof! I couldn't stop reading it! Loved the characters, loved the setting, loved the story!
Ruth
This was this year's RWA Rita winner in the Regency Historical category, so I thought I'd take a read, since I wasn't familiar with this author.

A very intense story about a captain and a young woman who grew up in the London East End slums, pickpocketing to survive, but who is now an educated young lady running her father's shipping firm.

Sexual tension galore from the moment hero and heroine meet. They each think the other is guilty of being a master spy, Cinq (pronounced the Franch way, I assum...more
chanceofbooks
I enjoyed book 1 a little more, but this was still a very enjoyable book. I love the unusual heroines she chooses. I was a little disappointed to not see more of the characters from the first book. There's an interesting timeline going on in this series where Adrian is a youngish-man in book 1, much older in book 2, and then in the upcoming book 3 he's a teenager again. I'm hoping that she clarifies the timeline at some point b/c my confusion detracted a little bit from my enjoyment of the book....more
Wicked Incognito Now
Excellent. Don't let the stupid title fool you, this is a truly unique and well-told historical romance.

My Lord and Spymaster is the sequel to The Spymaster's Lady. I have to give The Spymaster's Lady the edge here, just because the dialogue is so beautifully done in that book that it had me sighing over phrasing again and again.

However, the language and pacing is elegant in this book as well. I love the characters and plot. Everything was just so very interesting, I didn't want the book to end....more
Jen
After reading The Spymaster's Lady, I was really excited to read the sequel. That book is outstanding! It has a complicated plot, excellent writing, and fun characters.

This book falls short on all marks. The male lead did not seem so much "romantic" as "obsessed to the point of getting a restraining order". The female lead is okay, but somewhat of a twit. She's doesn't fall into the Disney Damsel archetype, as she displays some brains and initiative in getting herself out of trouble.

It felt like...more
Gail
The heroine is the daughter of a shipping merchant who's been arrested as a traitor. She knows he's not guilty, so she's trying to catch the man she believes is. But she's caught herself, instead, by someone trying to kill her. The hero, who is of course the man she suspects as the traitor, rescues her from the thugs, and they begin a dance of who-outwits-who, that brings in a cruel military spy, the king of thieves, who still believes he owns the heroine, British intelligence and--well, there's...more
Rose Lerner
I LOVED this book. As with Spymaster's Lady, the hero was a little more alpha than I usually prefer, but also as with Spymaster's Lady I adored the heroine so much it didn't matter. Jess is tough and smart and funny, and she gets to use her talents to do important plot things. I loved her backstory, all of it, and the ways it made her the person she is. And the two of them were adorable together. The bit where they're in bed together and he's showing her how to tie sailors' knots in her hair was...more
Elaine Mcdonald
If you are looking for steamy love scenes this isn't the book for you. After reading so many typical historical romance novels, this was a refreshing change.

This story takes place on the docks of London rather than a London Ballroom. It was a nice change reading a romance novel with a different twist.
Alana
grrrreat!!! i love these characters! jess is one determined young lady! i love kedger, but who couldn't love a cute ferret with a nose for finding things? sebastian was a tough but lovable. is there another? will adrian get his own book? i really really hope so!
Heather McCubbin
I like the first one better as it deals more with the storyline and less with the romance. This one is definitely a romance and not as much historical information as the last book.
Pj Ausdenmore
Another winner from sensational author, Joanna Bourne! Watch for this one to hit the shelves July 1st.
Maria
I loved this book and can't wait to get my hands on "The Spymaster's Lady."
An Odd1
Best yet. Opens at a London slum area dock, in a dark icy rain. Lovely Jess shivers, cold, wet, and hard in pertinent points within the first dozen pages. To save her father from the noose, she throws herself at her suspect for pro-Napoleon traitor, Captain Sebastian.

After he rescues her, unconscious, from knife-wielding thugs who knock her down, her large savior becomes larger and also firmer in his pertinent point. Their points set the classification to Hot, despite the circumspectly worded c...more
Emily
Well will you look at that, I finally got current on a series! This is a pretty big accomplishment for me, as I tend to start a series and not finish it, even if it's good, just because I read so much other stuff.

I'm happy to say that this is a series that was well worth getting current on. I use the term series very loosely, as both this book and the one before it (Spymaster's Lady) are sort-of stand alone books. There are some character crossovers and the settings are similar but you could eas...more
Kathleen Burket
Joanna Bourne is fascinated by spies and spymasters and this is the second book that she has written set during the period of the Napoleonic wars (early 1800's). Her heroines in both books are strong women who are actively engaged in espionage, but for completely different reasons. The books are not sequels, but do have a lot of parallels. And despite the fact that I adore a strong heroine, I didn't find the role for these women in the era of history in which Bourne has set her stories believabl...more
Sandy Williams
I wish I hadn't read Dear Author's review of this book before I finished it. DA had a problem with the writing. She admitted it was good and she liked the style, but something bothered her. Well, I know exactly what that was. Part of the author's style is reversing sentences and repeating things for emphasis. I don't have the book in front of me, but an example would be something like: "Not in a good mood, the Captain." Or "She was thirsty, she was."

Those are terrible examples, but hopefully, t...more
Juliet
Jane Stewart
Several lines had me chuckling, but the plot and romantic development were lacking.

The character Annique in the first book "The Spymaster's Lady" was exciting and interesting. For some reason, I was not drawn to or interested in Jess in this book. She used to be a thief and later turned respectable. She brilliantly manages and does the accounting for her father's shipping company. When her father is arrested for suspected treason, she applies her thieving skills to search for evidence to clear h...more
Erica Anderson
I've been saving this book. Whenever I'm taking a look at my shelves, wondering what to read next, I've paused, then passed it by. A Jo Bourne book is sort of like a piece of really good chocolate--you need to save it for when you really need it.

I eventually gave in, in part because there's a future book on the horizon. Granted, it's not for TEN MORE MONTHS (November 2011), which is a painfully long time to wait, especially since Black Hawk is Adrian's story.

Spymaster is, as you've probably gues...more
  • Written on Your Skin
  • Revealed (The Blue Raven, #1)
  • If His Kiss Is Wicked (Grantham, #3)
  • You Only Love Once (The Bow St. Agents: Spies in Love 3)
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • All Through the Night (Royal Agents #2)
  • It Happened One Midnight (Pennyroyal Green, #8)
  • His at Night
  • The Iron Rose (Dante Pirates, #2)
  • The Charmer (Liar's Club #4)
  • Trial by Desire (Carhart, #2)
  • Sea Change
  • Untie My Heart
  • Always a Temptress (The Drake's Rakes #3)
  • Marrying The Royal Marine (Channel Fleet, #3)
Joanna lives in the foothills of the Blue Ridge with her family, a medium-sized mutt and a faux Himalayan cat.

She writes Historical Romances set in England and France during the Napoleonic Wars. She's fascinated by that time and place - such passionate conviction and burning idealism ... and really sexy clothes.
More about Joanna Bourne...
The Spymaster's Lady (Spymasters, #2) The Forbidden Rose (Spymasters, #1) The Black Hawk (Spymasters, #4) Her Ladyship's Companion (Spymasters, #0.5) The Spymaster's Lady (Spymasters, #2)

“I don't know if tea really helps when one feels precarious, but it does give one something warm to hold on to. A kitten would work just as well, but we don't have one at the moment. They will grow into cats.” 8 likes
“I want to climb on top and lace my fingers right down into the marrow of your bones and cast off and fly. I want to sail you like a kite in the sky. I want you holding on to me for dear life.” 7 likes