Start by marking “The Viscount and the Virgin (Regency Silk & Scandal, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Viscount and the Virgin (Regency Silk & Scandal, #5)

The Viscount and the Virgin (Regency Silk & Scandal #5)

3.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  365 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
"I AM NOT AT ALL THE KIND OF GIRL A FUTURE EARL OUGHT TO MARRY."

Imogen Hebden knew she was no diamond of the ton. A clumsy, gangling spinster more like! This last-chance Season was sure to be a disaster. What sort of suitor could she hope to catch?

Viscount Mildenhall, son of the Earl of Corfe, the most eligible, most arrogant rake in London, claimed to find her guileless w
Published September 21st 2010 by Harlequin (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Viscount and the Virgin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Viscount and the Virgin

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
The cover and the blurb drew me in when I got this one with my monthly Harlequin Historical books. I knew I'd be reading it soon. It didn't disappoint.

I don't want to give away too many plot details, because that is the fun in reading this book. It was interesting how deeply Imogen and Monty's lives intertwine. When they met, they seemed to be adversaries, but a blistering attraction makes that unlikely. They don't seem to be what each other wants at first glance, but they need to look deeper t
Ruth
Jan 14, 2011 Ruth rated it it was amazing
This one was great. It hooked me straightaway and didn't let up. I really struggled to put it down, and only didn't finish it in one sitting since I knew I'd forget what I wanted to say in the review. It redeemed the series for me slightly after the disappointment of Claiming the Forbidden Bride (Harlequin Historical) by Gayle Wilson.

Things I liked about this one:-

- The story is great. A lonely woman and a lonely man find each other and love. Great stuff.

- The heroine - she's loving, accident-prone, haunted by the selfish actions of her parents, the neglect of
Ana
Nov 09, 2010 Ana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Viscount and the Virgin is my favorite (so far) of the Silk and Scandal series. Imogen is a plain-Jane heroine (which I adore) but she’s no pushover. She doesn’t fit in anywhere and though she tries to please everyone, it hasn’t completely overshadowed her natural exuberance for life. With her tendency to throw herself head-long into situations, she finds herself causing all sorts of havoc without lifting a finger.

As for the hero, he’s not terribly likable in the beginning but he does redee
Lisa
Jul 01, 2011 Lisa rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, 2011, kindle-baby, romance
Being in possession of a low-level hangover I was after reading something light and undemanding, this book is nothing if not that.

A romance in which every obstacle to the main couple's happiness is purely miscommunication which gets resolved in the final pages leaving them to their happy-ever-after, this was inoffensive enough stuff, although I think it would have been a much better story had Imogen told everyone around her to sod off and gone off on her own instead....I'm probably not really th
Linda Sims
Feb 13, 2015 Linda Sims rated it really liked it
Fifth book in the series featuring Imogen Hebden and Viscount Mildenhall. Imogen is in London for a season to find a husband. Her circumstances have drastically altered and without the resources of her aunt and uncle she'd be homeless and without money. Unfortunately Imogen does not possess any of the social graces having been allowed to do her own thing in her late stepfather's home. One of her stepbrothers comes to london and promises to get his friend Monty to introduce Imogen to suitable you ...more
Gail
The hero and heroine meet in an inauspicious manner. She trips (because of mean girls) and falls on him, and he thinks it's a plot to snare him in marriage. He's mean to her, she hates him. But things are not always as they seem.

The hero's a big jerk through much of the first part of this story, but he doesn't maintain his jerkiness TOO long. The continuing mystery about the man hanged for treason and murder comes in only late in the story, but it does play a powerful part. I liked the heroine q
Marianne
May 12, 2014 Marianne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels
Don't trust the summary (or the cover), it's really not very accurate. At first glance I wasn't very enthusiastic and only decided to read the book because I'm addicted to the Silk & Scandal series. And it turned out to be much more interesting, one of my favorites so far in the series.

This is Imogen Hebden's story - the daughter of the viscount who was murdered 20 years ago, if you're following the Silk & Scandal series (which I heartily recommend, but is not necessary to understand thi
Maggie Hesseling
Jun 10, 2014 Maggie Hesseling rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Some misunderstanding novels are good, and others are great. This one is great.

Midge has loved her step-brother's army friend, Monty, for years. Always keeping him in mind when she wrote to Rick, Midge is eager to make his acquaintance now that she's in London. But before she knows it, it turns out to be that the man who hates her, Viscount Mildenhall. He's convinced that she's out to trap him into marriage. But when the two of them realize their connections sparks will start to fly.

Funny and en
Hortencia
Nov 15, 2010 Hortencia rated it really liked it
The title is corny(no doubt chosen by the publisher and not the author), but a very enjoyable read. Engaging from beginning to end. I'd never read anything by Ms Burrows before but will be looking up more of her books.
Elizabeth Coult
This story follows Imogen - a lively, vivacious girl who is much more comfortable running wild outdoors than she is sewing in the drawing room. She has a kind, loving heart and loves to look after those around her. Upon the death of her mother, then her step-father, Imogen has been taken in by a kindly aunt who wishes to see her happily married. Imogen is sent off on her first London season (quite late, at 27 years of age), and the poor girl is like a fish out of water. Due to a scandal surround ...more
Crystal
Feb 19, 2013 Crystal rated it it was ok
Easily my least favorite of the Silk and Scandal series, which is quite good overall. The hero begins the story as a complete jerk, and doesn't make it much farther than well-meaning idiot by the end. The heroine seems like she could have been fun, but she's so easily beaten down and confused that it's hard to appreciate her wit and sense of adventure. The both of them spend so much time misunderstanding each other and doing irrational things that it's more than a bit annoying when everything is ...more
Isabella Kai
Aug 18, 2012 Isabella Kai rated it really liked it
The Viscount and the Virgin, for me, reminds us readers that assuming too much leads to a lot misunderstandings.

Midge, Imogen Hebden, assumed that Monty, Viscount Mildenhall, never wanted her in the first place. That the only reason he choose her was because she was convenient, indispensable. Yes, she have no reservations that he desires her but that doesn't mean he loves her.

Monty, on the other hand, after realizing his mistake after guessing the truth about Midge's character thought he could m
Mandy
Jan 23, 2015 Mandy rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot! I read it in two days because I couldn't stop reading it every spare moment I had. Only a few things made me give it four stars instead of 5....
No super steamy scenes, most were run through quickly without the details I am used to in a romance novel. It's not a horrible thing though, since the story itself was good. I hate it when it's obvious the main purpose of the story are the sex scenes so the book is fine in that department but I do like them when they are more d
Rosa C.
Mar 13, 2013 Rosa C. rated it it was ok
Although the characters could have been developed to produce an engaging story, this book was boring, colorless and banal.

The main plot line is the miscommunication between the married couple.

The author describes at length every little detail of the heroine's fears and anxieties, adding nothing to the story apart from the sense that the girl is a nitwit. It does, however, succeeds on leaving the reader with a permanently frustrated feeling about what's happening.

The love scenes are described in
BookFiend
Jan 26, 2011 BookFiend rated it liked it
Rating: 3.5 stars

To be fair - it takes A LOT for me to rate 5 stars on a book. Most of my favorite historical romance novels end up at 4 stars.

This book had so much potential. I loved Midge and Monty and I wanted more than what I got from them in this book. I was looking for that point in the novel that is gut-wrenching and you are not sure how they will get through to their own Happily Ever After. It was weak at best. Monty didn't have any misconceptions on Midge -they were all from her side.
Jane
My "full review" can be found HERE, but here's the tl;dr version:

The novel was very predictable and silly and made me want to put reading regency romance novels on a hiatus for quite some time.
Myriam
Aug 02, 2011 Myriam rated it liked it
Going over my "read" shelf, I was surprised to find this book.
Having loaded an indecent amount of books on my Kindle, I guess I stumbled on the Viscount and the Virgin.

I like the word "viscount" which accounts almost entirely on the reason I read this book. Had I seen the cover, I am pretty sure I would have squinted a bit and deleted in a heartbeat.

Turns out, it was a fast and enjoyable read.
Nothing really earth shattering but I do not regret giving it a chance.
It keeps up with the historical
L12
Aug 02, 2014 L12 rated it really liked it
I was surprised that I really liked this book. Funny characters, interesting plot, some steam.
Linda
Nov 02, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it
The fifth book re: Silk & Scandal, heres the story of Imogen, shes having her chance at a Season and knows its her only one. When her stepfather died, her halfbrother threw her out since she wasnt blood, now her other half brother has a plan including his friend Monty who Imogen once exchanged letters with. Their first meeting did not live up to expectations, though. =) Im not giving up any spoilers, but its a fun read with lots of twists. ...more
Kikkasole
May 27, 2013 Kikkasole rated it liked it
* breve dialogo con me stessa *
"allora cosa ricorderai di questo libro?"
*vocetta legnosa* "ovviamente la protagonista tutta ohhhh come sono calimeroooo piccolo, sfigato e tutto neroooooo"

(anche se,lo confesso, a leggere i ragionamenti di tutti e due, ma sopratutto di lei, m'è venuta la voglia di frignare pure io ....La colpa è degli ormoni per forza!!! Per il resto ....senza infamia e senza lode ecco)
Nancy
Oct 05, 2011 Nancy rated it it was ok
This one was on my ereader along with a whole bunch of miscellaneous romances. I thought what the heck why not, romances are the quickest to read. I fell in to just like old times, it's pretty standard historical romance. Although I do believe it could a benefit from a different name, given that most historical romances deal with maiden's and it wasn't even a topic.
Roub
Apr 02, 2013 Roub rated it really liked it
the start was definitely a 5 star !!unfortunately when they got married, things got a bit stagnant means nothing happened apart them making love lol. be it on the sofa, on the floor, on the bed or in the hay !!haha they were horny XD i easily fell in love with the viscount and wanted to have sex with him lol
Sara
Yes! My favorite formula of the lord and the spinster!
Misunderstandings! Anger! Betrayal! Lust! Magic hoo-hoos and Mighty wangs! A simple 15 minute conversation would clear thing up, but why the hell would we do that? Loved it!
High five Annie Borrows!
Rose
Oct 29, 2012 Rose added it
Shelves: historical, romance
While Midge was refreshing as an ~independent quirky heroine~ who for once was ACTUALLY both of those things, her love interest was unlikeable (and kinda rapey) even by the standards of the genre and there was a lot of offensive ~gypsy curse~ nonsense.
Ashleigh Oldfield
Oct 14, 2012 Ashleigh Oldfield rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
This was my first ever time reading a Mills and Boons novel, and I have to admit that I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was very well written, the characters were likeable and believeable, and the story was sweet. A perfect read for laying of a beach in Spain.
Lourdes
Oct 12, 2012 Lourdes rated it liked it
First time I read a book from Ms. Burrows and I was pleased. Nice story, to me beautifully handled without being too pale or lingering too much on the sexual relationship of the characters.
Deanna
Nov 14, 2010 Deanna rated it liked it
Slightly frustrating because the characters always thought they knew what the other was thinking when they didn't at all. But overall it was a good book.
Michaela
Apr 21, 2013 Michaela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This wasnt the best regency book ive read but it wasnt the worst. I pretty much forgot what happened the minute after Id read it.
N.V.
Oct 09, 2012 N.V. rated it liked it
It was cute but all too short. It ended too soon with a lot of questions left unanswered.
Gemma
Aug 22, 2012 Gemma marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: bookcrossing
One big misunderstanding after another. I got bored. DNF.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 06, 2015 10:14AM
  • Paying the Virgin's Price (Regency Silk & Scandal, #2)
  • Claiming the Forbidden Bride (Regency Silk & Scandal, #4)
  • The Smuggler and the Society Bride (Regency Silk & Scandal, #3)
  • The Officer and the Proper Lady (Regency Silk & Scandal, #7)
  • Unlacing the Innocent Miss (Regency Silk & Scandal, #6)
  • Unbuttoning Miss Hardwick
  • The Earl's Dilemma
  • More Than a Mistress (Rakes in Disgrace, #2)
  • Captive (Avon Red)
  • The Captain and the Wallflower
  • Wanted: Mail-Order Mistress (Gentlemen of Fortune, #3)
  • A Question of Impropriety
  • Innocent in the Sheikh's Harem (Armstrong Sisters #1)
  • The Earl's Forbidden Ward (Ramsden Brothers #2)
  • What the Duke Desires (Billingham Bastards #1)
I've been published by Mills & Boon since 2007..but I'd been making up stories in my head for as long as I can remember. It was a long walk home from school, and there were no ipods in those days to keep you amused! When I wasn't daydreaming, I had my nose stuck in a book. My parents used to take me to the library every Saturday, until I was old enough to get there on my own, and my house was ...more
More about Annie Burrows...

Regency Silk & Scandal (8 books)
  • The Lord and the Wayward Lady (Regency Silk & Scandal, #1)
  • Paying the Virgin's Price (Regency Silk & Scandal, #2)
  • The Smuggler and the Society Bride (Regency Silk & Scandal, #3)
  • Claiming the Forbidden Bride (Regency Silk & Scandal, #4)
  • Unlacing the Innocent Miss (Regency Silk & Scandal, #6)
  • The Officer and the Proper Lady (Regency Silk & Scandal, #7)
  • Taken by the Wicked Rake (Regency Silk & Scandal, #8)