Start by marking “The Samson Option” as Want to Read:
The Samson Option

The Samson Option

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  5 reviews
s/t: Israel's Nuclear Arsenal & American Foreign Policy
An investigation into Israel's nuclear capabilities discloses information about the country's rush toward nuclear status, its collaboration with South Africa and Iran, and its espionage activities. Reprint. NYT
Published October 27th 1991 by Random House (first published September 20th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Samson Option, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Samson Option

Clif
Sep 26, 2010 Clif rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lovers of espionage
Written in 1991, The Samson Option is Seymour Hersh's account of Israel's acquisition of nuclear weapons.

As you'd expect of a documentary, the book is filled with fascinating facts that are little know by the public.

The primary result of reading this book is a keen awareness of how American administrations have been almost uniformly unheeding to Israel's progress toward membership (though denied) in the nuclear club.

Because Israel is such a tiny country and America is so huge, the advantages for
Jennifer Abdo
Hersh is always blowing the lid off of secrets. I found this riveting. It explains Israel's nuclear secrets and position and how we looked the other way (and continue). The story of how they became a nuclear power is incredible and telling. After reading you will ask if we really want to be "friends" or if they are actually reciprocating our friendly relationship.
Kerriwyn
This book was very dry, quite boring and seemed somewhat anti-Semetic if you ask me. That being said, I am 32 years old and didn't know that it was ever a secret for Israel to become a nuclear power. It was sorta interesting to see how the politics were conducted behind-the-scenes. Man, I hate politics! I really think it's all one big conspiracy. Anyway, now I know somewhat about Isreal and their determination to not be wiped off the face of the earth. I love me the Jews so, hey, good on ya's!
Thamrong
Isreal secret quest for atomic bombs.
Pelaut
Seymour Hersh at his best! Brilliant!
Sam Siddiqui
Sam Siddiqui marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Noog
Noog marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Irene
Irene marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Omar
Omar added it
Oct 24, 2014
Jake Gelber
Jake Gelber is currently reading it
Sep 29, 2014
Hany
Hany marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Nathan Thoms
Nathan Thoms marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Wael
Wael marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Joel
Joel marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Ahmed Sajid
Ahmed Sajid marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Seymour (Sy) Myron Hersh is an American Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative journalist and author based in Washington, D.C. He is a regular contributor to The New Yorker magazine on military and security matters. He has also won two National Magazine Awards and is a "five-time Polk winner and recipient of the 2004 George Orwell Award."

He first gained worldwide recognition in 1969 for exposing the
More about Seymour M. Hersh...
The Dark Side of Camelot Chain of Command: The Road from 9/11 to Abu Ghraib My Lai 4; a Report on the Massacre and Its Aftermath The Price of Power: Kissinger in the Nixon White House The Target Is Destroyed