Start by marking “Dead Sleep (Mississippi #3)” as Want to Read:
Dead Sleep (Mississippi #3)

Dead Sleep (Mississippi #3)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,206 Ratings  ·  433 Reviews
A woman is drawn into the hunt for her sister's killer in this electrifying new thriller from the New York Times bestselling author of The Quiet Game.

"A tour de force of suspense. It could as easily-and terrifyingly-be set in the Kansas of Truman Capote's In Cold Blood."
-The Commercial Appeal (review of 24 Hours)

With five novels, Greg Iles has proven himself one of the mos
Published July 9th 2001 by Putnam Adult (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Sleep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Sleep

James Thane
Sep 03, 2010 James Thane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While in Hong Kong, photojournalist Jordan Glass wanders into an exhibit of paintings called "The Sleeping Women," and is unable to imagine why her presence is causing such a stir among the patrons and staff of the museum. The paintings alone are unsettling, because it appears to her trained eye that the women are not merely sleeping but are, in fact, dead. And then Jordan gets the shock of her life when she sees her own mirror image staring lifelessly back at her from one of the paintings.

Donnelle
Apr 11, 2010 Donnelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Others have already gone over the finer points of the story in their reviews, so I'll concentrate on the writing itself. Iles definitely knows how to create unique crimes and the characters who commit them - the methods and scenarios he utilized for the villain(s) of the piece were unlike any that I had read about before.

Iles' weakness, then, isn't in the overall story-telling in this case, but lies in the fact that at times, he telegraphs his punches too much - the foreshadowing used in some s
Bill
Feb 04, 2008 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Greg Iles has spoiled me with Mortal Fear.

Every novel I read by him now has the unenviable task of having to measure up to what I consider his best work. Regardless of whether it stands up in the face of this scrutiny, He can't seem to write a bad novel. He is as good if not better than any of the "masters of suspense" diluting the market today. Dead Sleep is a clever thriller in which
a world class photojournalist (a woman, written in the first person) who is haunted both by the disappearance o
Yvonne
What an intriguing concept. Jordan Glass comes across a series of paintings taking the artworld by storm in Hong Kong. They are paintings depicting nude women in repose, asleep or are they possibly dead? Jordan is stunned to discover that one of the paintings features a woman that looks exactly like her. Could it be her twin sister who's been missing for over a year? Is she dead or alive.

Jordan immediately reconnects with the FBI to try to unravel this mystery. The story is well paced in general
Tanja Berg
Rating 3.4* out of 5. I was surprised by how quickly this book took me in. I started to root for the main character almost immediately. She is Jordan, a photojournalist who suddenly finds herself facing a painted picture of her lost sister Jane. The painting is in a series called "sleeping women", but Jordan quickly senses that they are not sleeping, they are dead.

Jordan brings the news of the painting to the FBI and demands to be a part of the investigation. They let her. After the first 100 p
Patrice Hoffman
Nov 04, 2011 Patrice Hoffman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I know there are so many things that can be talked about in this book but the ending for me was one of the best endings I've read in a long time. I enjoyed the ride it took to get to the end. I won't give anything away from the actual story or plot but... this author, Iles, has not disappointed me yet.
Kyra
Aug 27, 2009 Kyra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am in a bad financial place where I am stuck reading books from my (very small) local public library. I am only going to write one review but I have galloped through everything this library has by Greg Iles. Quintessential airplane reading, these fast-moving suspense novels always seem to feature nasty doctors (and a couple of good ones) getting up to nasty murderous doings in either Mississippi or Louisiana, Iles' home turf. The plots are INSANELY ludicrous....BUT Iles writes very very well i ...more
David
Mar 14, 2013 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could give this one three and a half stars, because for me it only misses the four star mark by a small margin! Primarily because of its extremely contrived and silly stuff that follows the main resolution. Sorry, he just took it a step too far.

Still, the remainder of the novel has some really neat Hannibal Lectorish moments, some artsy fartsy characters, and enough suspects to confuse even the most careful reader.

The story begins when photographer Jordan Glass enters an art museum in
Antoinette
It was annoying that the book was so suspenseful that I couldn't put it down, yet I ended up thinking the plot was stupid and implausible, and he made one major error in the middle. I hate that.
But I can't resist the plug anyway for book buyers Inc. in Mountain View. I got this book through their "blind date with a book program." The book is wrapped in plain brown paper and you get only a skeleton description. Very cute idea.
Cheryl Harflett
Jun 07, 2014 Cheryl Harflett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third Iles book I have read. He is very quickly becoming a favourite of mine. His stories are action packed with the perfect amount of twists and turns to keep my attention without being too unrealistic.
Don
May 26, 2015 Don rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since I gave it five stars, obviously I enjoyed this book. Well worth reading. Iles has become one of my favorite authors. I hardly recommend him and his novels.
Bárbara
Dec 30, 2015 Bárbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leídos-2015
4 estrellas
¡Al fin lo terminé! Déjenme celebrar xD
La vida se interpuso en mi camino y no me dejaba avanzar en este magnífico libro. Que sí, que no es la joya del siglo, pero me sorprendió gratamente. La protagonista es una mujer muy fuerte y desde el principio hasta el final lo demuestra una y otra vez. Y bueno, eso de que el autor juege con medias verdades es lo mejor. Quizá la participación de De Becque es la más incongruente; su aporte final es un poco forzado.
Recomendado para quienes gusten
Tamera
Feb 16, 2016 Tamera rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was an engrossing read, and I had a hard time putting the book down, although the ending fell a little flat for me. The main character, Jordan, is very tough and damaged. Her past controls her actions, including her never ending searching for her mia photographer father. When she sees a painting in Hong Kong of her twin sister, missing for a year after disappearing in New Orleans, Jordan aggressively pursues a search for her. This involves reconnecting with her contact in the FBI ...more
Stacy
Aug 28, 2012 Stacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The action is non stop, the characters have depth, and the mystery is top notch. The paintings and the possibility that the women may be dead haunted me just as the possibility did Jordan. The spooky vibe and the sexual tension between Jordan and FBI Agent John Kaiser keep the book operating on all cylinders. This is a great thriller and I look forward to reading more from Greg Iles.

there's more on my blog http://stacybuckeye.wordpress.com/200...
Melliott
Jun 20, 2014 Melliott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a smart, interesting, and well-played thriller. I picked it up for 99 cents at Goodwill while shopping for T-shirts for our craft program at the library, and it was definitely well spent!

Jordan Glass is a Pulitzer Prize-winning war photographer. She is also a twin whose world stopped 18 months ago when her identical sister Jane simply disappeared off the street one day. She's trying to get on with her life by working on a book, and has taken a field trip to China to shoot some photos. A
William Bentrim
Oct 25, 2015 William Bentrim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dead Sleep by Greg Iles
Greg Iles is a master of tension. This book focuses on a somewhat famous photo journalist and her missing sister. The FBI and New Orleans figure prominently in the story.
Jordon Glass is a twin and she is missing her sister. She travels the world shooting misery with her lens but finds personal misery far too close. Iles provides us with background on Glass so we have some idea of how she became the person in the story.
There is brutal action and behavior not suitable for
Ferne
Oct 04, 2014 Ferne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This mystery opens the door for a journey into a world that I have no first-hand knowledge so it is difficult for me to imagine how I would react in the world of photojournalist and identical twin Jordan Glass. But the author either has first-hand knowledge of these subjects or has spent hours of research as he seemed to convey without a hiccup in the flow of the story what would be my impression of a person in the midst of this type of experience. The hardest parts to read were the descriptions ...more
Carrieb
Mar 01, 2010 Carrieb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thoroughly enjoyable thriller. As for learning anything - just confirmation of the same old fact; that mankind is capable of incredible cruelty, but also of great creativity. Iles main characters are well defined and empathic. Dead Sleep is very inventive and quite chilling in making you feel both the helplessness of its victims and the coldness of the killer's duality.
Sutresna
Gimana ya bilangnya... Seperti masalah novel terjemahan pada umumnya, yaitu terjemahan itu sendiri, si penerjemah menurut saya, kurang dapat membawa detil-detil pada novel ini sampai ke penalaran si pembaca, atau ya setidaknya saya seorang... Walau menurut saya kompleksnya isu di novel ini cukup bisa diacungi jempol.

Alhasil, dari hampir 600 halaman, saya baru bisa mendapatkan kegelisahan utk membacanya terus-menerus hanya pada 100 halaman terakhir. Sisanya di 500 halaman awal serasa hanya sebaga
Gail
Mar 30, 2015 Gail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovetoread

Awesome Greg you are always, he is and always will be one of the best mystery writers ever love your adventures bud ......
Natalie
Dec 14, 2012 Natalie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
Dobar triler, no pitam se; gdje FBI da jednom ''civilu'' dopusti pristup slučaju i gotovo ga vodi do kraja? Ovdje je FBI ispal totalno nesposoban a jedna outsider fotoreporterka glavna u upadanju i istrazi slučaja, bez obzira što joj sestra predmet istrage, još jedan onak nevjerojatan slučaj. Sve u svemu, dobar kraj.
Shannon
Jan 24, 2015 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great murder mystery with death, sex, incest, mystery. The main character is a photographer, I was hoping the novel would talk about taking photos as part of the story line,m yet it barely touch on it. This is a murder mystery taking place mostly in new orleans with a women photographer and the fbi.
Mahareni Sukadi
Seruuuuuu...sukaaak. Bos-bosnya FBI pada turun ke lapangan langsung ikut pengintaian. Gak kayak beberapa buku suspense lain yang petinggi penegak hukumnya duduk di kantor nunggu laporan anak buah.

Gak ada adegan kasur di buku ini, tapi jalinan cinta Kaiser+Jordan malah sukses bikin deg-degan. Ngepens nih sama John Kaiser.

Terjemahannya lumayan bikin ganggu. Masa di New Orleans ada pematang sih? Pematang itu bukannya yang di sawah-sawah kayak di Indo? Kalo di New Orleans, pematang itu semacam apa?
Jan Larkey
Dead Sleep by Greg Iles

A series of paintings of sleeping women are shaking the international art scene. Are they asleep or dead? The identical twin of one of the painted women who disappeared months ago seeks to find out who is painting these women? Is her sister alive or dead? Did her father, a famous war photographer die in Cambodia or leave her family for another? Her quests take her to New York, New Orleans, and the Orient.

While a well written and intriguing tale, Iles vivid descriptions of
Lightblue
Un thriller da cui mi aspettavo decisamente di piu'. Le ultime 100 pagine sono molto buone, cariche di tensione, ma che fatica leggere le prime 300!! La protagonista mi e' risultata un po' antipatica...
Beth
Photojournalist, Jordan Glass, is working in Hong Kong when she sees an art exhibition of nude paintings, called The Sleeping Women. Jordan quickly becomes the center of attention in the gallery, when she sees a painting that is her mirror image and she wonder if this could somehow be a painting of her twin sister who went missing months ago. The twists and turns in the story pile up fast, and Jordan and the FBI begin a pursuit of the artist who may be the only one who knows where Jordan's siste ...more
Andrea Vlasic
Feb 12, 2015 Andrea Vlasic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Izvrsna knjiga!!!! Sad moram vidjeti ima li Iles još prevedenih knjiga... :-)
Janetta Longwell
I bought this book because I had read this author before and loved that book. The synopsis on the back sounded interesting and the first page made me think I would enjoy this one as much as the last. I did not. As per his usual, Greg Iles definitely delivered on the suspense. This guy knows how to get you on the edge of your seat. I really liked the main character, Jordan but there were several other characters and names to keep track of. I also enjoyed the interaction between Jordan and the det ...more
José Luis
Jan 29, 2015 José Luis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Sueño mortal nos trae una historia bastante sólida, con un buen ritmo narrativo y unos personajes posiblemente algo estereotipados pero que en cualquier caso cumplen su papel en la historia con dignidad.

Un thriller psicológico que consigue atrapar al lector desde el primer capítulo y que mantiene la intriga hasta justo el final, final que además me pareció bueno, manteniendo el nivel de toda la historia.

Tensión a la largo de toda la novela sin que podamos
Jan
Jun 29, 2008 Jan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, own-copy
Very well written; very powerful; very complex characters. A "wow" read.
  • Darkside
  • The Fifth Angel
  • Watch Me
  • Stripped (Jonathan Stride, #2)
  • Deviant Ways
  • One Last Scream
  • Parallel Lies
  • Lying With Strangers
  • Mary, Mary
  • Alles muss versteckt sein
  • The Program (Alan Gregory, #9)
  • Fallen Idols
  • Requiem Mass (Andrew Fenwick, #1)
  • The Exile
  • Darkness Peering
  • Crime School (Kathleen Mallory, #6)
  • Dixie City Jam (Dave Robicheaux, #7)
  • Just One Look
19696
Greg Iles was born in Germany in 1960. He grew up in Natchez, Mississippi, and graduated from the University of Mississippi in 1983. He was active in a band called "Frankly Scarlet", but quit after realizing that the touring lifestyle was not conducive with his family life. Once no longer busy with the band, he turned his attention to writing.

Greg's novels have been translated into various languag
More about Greg Iles...

Mississippi (5 books)
  • Mortal Fear (Mississippi #1)
  • 24 Hours (Mississippi #2)
  • Sleep No More
  • Blood Memory (Mississipi #5)

Sooner or later. It had better be sooner. Later is like the horizon; it recedes as you approach. 21 likes
“My favorite book is The Mysterious Island. I order my books from a flimsy catalog the teacher hands out to every student in the class. Emil and the Detectives. White Fang. Like that. Money is tight for us, but when it comes to books my mother is a spendthrift; I can order as many as I like. I sit here day after day, waiting for my books to arrive. My books. It takes a month or more, but when they finally do, when the teacher opens the big box and passes out the orders to the kids, checking the books against a form taken from her desk, I glow with happiness. I've never had the newest dress, or the prettiest, but I always have the tallest stack of books. Little paperbacks that smell of wet ink. I lay my cheek against their cool covers, anticipating the stories inside, knowing all the other girls wonder what I could possibly want with those books.” 6 likes