Start by marking “Cosmic Odyssey” as Want to Read:
Cosmic Odyssey

Cosmic Odyssey (Post-Crisis Superman Chronology)

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  214 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Don't miss this new printing of the classic 1988 miniseries from Jim Starlin and Mike Mignola! COSMIC ODYSSEY assembles Superman, Batman, Green Lantern John Stewart, Martian Manhunter, Starfire, The Demon and others — at the behest of Darkseid!
Published September 8th 2009 by DC Comics (first published March 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Cosmic Odyssey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cosmic Odyssey

Sesana
Stalin's take on a cosmic epic in the DCU ended up feeling, to me, like a pale imitation of his Marvel U cosmic epics. Sure, he was brought in to essentially do what he'd done for Marvel with his various Thanos minis for DC, but I did expect more out of it. Maybe it's because the anti-life threat felt forced, even more so than the threat that Thanos usually poses. The dialogue seemed a little under par to me, too.

There are two noteworthy things here, and Mike Mignola's art is one of them. This i
Ryan Haupt
Jim Starlin's tenuous grasp on astronomy irked me at times. I could easily have overlooked the inaccuracies but the inconsistencies within those inaccuracies were particularly bothersome. Regardless, this involved a group of characters I find extremely compelling and the mediocre plot was saved by some interesting and engaging character interaction.

Mike Mignola's art was great even in it's relative infancy. I've heard comparisons to Jack Kirby but didn't see that as clearly in his Hellboy work a
Andrew
This late-80's cosmic Event is important for a few reasons 1) it brought back Jack Kirby's New Gods 2) it features some pretty dope artwork by a pre-"Hellboy" Mike Mignola and 3) it's partly about that time Green Lantern (view spoiler). If any of those things interest you, "Cosmic Odyssey" is worth a read. Honestly, it was worth it to me just to see Mignola draw Batman fighting space monsters.

Beyo
Mjhancock
It's a threat so big that the New Gods have allied with Darkseid and come to enlist the Justice League's help! The anti-life equation has gained sentience, and is aiming to end all of existence. All it needs to do it is to destroy two of four planets, and the universe will fall apart. (They're load-bearing planets, I guess?) A series of team-ups sees different pairings going to each planet to stop the aspect of the anti-life that's trying to put its world-smashing powers in motion. Orion and Sup ...more
Khairul H.
DC dusted off this book in 2008 and renamed it Final Crisis ;)

Mike Mignola got noticed here before he went on to bigger things like Hellboy and it's his artwork that endears me to this story. Jim Starlin's cosmic threat, on the other hand, is just another paint-by-numbers plot (the Anti-Life equation is actually a sentient being and wants to destroy the Milky Way galaxy. Of course).
Gregory
I admit I didn't follow Jim Starlin's past work and decided to read it again since I had it for years. This story is a great book and the affects of the event still haunt the DC Universe to this day. This time, the threat isn't even on Earth and has long term affects when the Anti-Life Equation whom Darkseid has pursued for years has become sentient and threatens to destroy the Universe.

An unlike alliance of The New Gods, Darkseid, and Earth's heroes stand in the way of preventing universal des
Dave
1988's Cosmic Odyssey was an interesting read. Writer Jim Starlin took Jack Kirby's ambiguous idea of the Anti-Life Equation and turned it into to an actual being, the Anti-Life Entity, resulting in a threat to the galaxy that even Darkseid feared. A team of superheroes was assembled (including the likes of Superman, Batman, Orion, Martian Manhunter, and Green Lantern John Stewart just to name a few) by Highfather and Darkseid to battle the impending doom. The part of the story that has had the ...more
Fantasy Literature
On the one hand, the story of Cosmic Odyssey is a simple one — a terrible and dangerous force known as the anti-life equation threatens our universe, and all the good characters must unite with the evil Darkseid to save the day. On the other hand, this story is rich with Jack Kirby’s wonderful cosmic characters that form the background for much of DC’s Cosmic Universe as it remains to this day.

To understand why you should read Cosmic Odyssey is to understand its background, its creators, and the
Amauri
Rummaging through back issue boxes in one of the dingiest shops I've ever been to I ran into the first issue of this tale. Starlin and Mignola? Had to grab it, and quickly scooped the trade up online. This is not a bad little romp ... you get New Gods, some Bats/Supes, some obscure DC cast, and very straightforward Starlin 'cosmic' storytelling. Unfortunately you don't get enough of any of these elements. Starlin frequently has the characters make some quick leaps to advance the thin plot, and o ...more
Devero
Dopo Crisis on Infinite Earths la DC ebbe la necessità di riodinare il suo universo. Legends era una parte della faccenda. Cosmic Odyssey, di Starlin e Mignola, l'altra. Qui viene reintrodotto il Quarto Mondo di Jack Kirby, nonché Etrigan il Demone, e viene perfettamente integrato con Batman e Superman, Martian Manhunter e il corpo delle Lanterne Verdi e i Titani.
Una bella storia, che merita di essere letta anche per un giovane e bravo Mike Mignola ai disegni.
Travis
A noble effort, teaming up the Justice League with the New Gods to resolve some of the loose plot threads from Kirby's comic saga.
The mix of old school super hero adventure, dark and gritty and cosmic doesn't always click and while I love Mignola's art on Hellboy, it was pretty uneven here.

Plus, I felt the stuff with John Stewart was really forced and the death was done as a tacked on 'Oh, this will add to the drama'.

While Starlin is generally great at big and cosmic, he didn't quite have a hand
Chris
Mar 14, 2014 Chris rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: scifi
Fairly standard tale from the period. Anyone with the vaguest knowledge of the DCU can see the plot direction from the first few pages.
Mike
Jan 16, 2008 Mike rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like their cosmic stories not to skimp on the meaningful consequences
Now THIS is how big-time, universe-changing comics should be done. A small of of DC's finest brought together on commando-style missions to save the DC Universe--back when there was only the one. No company-wide crossover, not too many cooks in the kitchen, just a great story, interesting premise (comic book science at its finest), amazing art (don't judge Mike Mignola solely on Hellboy--as amazing as that stuff is, he can do a whole lot more, as this yarn gloriously reminds us) and some actuall ...more
Orrin Grey
I picked this one up for reasons that are probably obvious. This is still pretty early Mignola, but there's some great stuff, and it's fun to see him drawing Kirby characters like Darkseid and Orion. Several panels or scenes are just jaw-dropping, even if it's never as amazing as his more recent stuff.

The story itself is also pretty fun, and fairly self-contained as big cosmic event comics go.
Michael Angerville
Amazing graphic novel. I thought Mignola's art was perfect for the tone and setting of the story; it makes me want to check out Hellboy! Also, the writing was incredible. Although, I'm confused as to why they handled John Stewart's character that way. It wasn't really him in my opinion, but I do appreciate the fact that they gave him a really interesting conflict he now has to live with. I definitely recommend this to all comic fans!!
Nicolas
I'm trying to read through all of these epic team-ups and so far, I haven't been too impressed. This one had some unlikely team-ups and an interesting look, but I just didn't enjoy it. I'm not a big Darkseid/New Genesis fan so I admittedly started a little biased. John Stewart had a pretty dark moment there. The stuff between him and Martian Manhunter was decent.
David
Ah, so this is where John Stewart screws up! I've been wondering where that story was. And it's right here in this keen pair up of two major talents, Starlin and Magnola! It's a very decent New Gods arc that seems a bit light compared to super-hero comics of the 21st century. I'd recommend this to New Gods and Green Lantern fans.
Erik
A book that has more ramifications to the current DC universe that most people realize. A great primer for the modern interpretation of Jack Kirby's New Gods.
furious
old school Mignola, crazy cosmic action, Darkseid, anti-life, all that good shit.
Thomas
An interesting way to put the DC heroes together. A great story line.
Pablo Martinez
Pablo Martinez marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Richard Anderson
Richard Anderson marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Theodore
Theodore marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
  • JLA, Vol. 2: American Dreams
  • Heart of Empire, or The Legacy of Luther Arkwright
  • Batman/Houdini: The Devil's Workshop
  • Testament, Vol. 1: Akedah
  • JSA: The Liberty Files (Elseworlds)
  • JLA/JSA: Virtue and Vice
  • The Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot
  • Annihilation, Book Three
  • Robin: A Hero Reborn
  • Nightwing, Vol. 2: Rough Justice
James P. "Jim" Starlin is an American comic book writer and artist. With a career dating back to the early 1970s, he is best known for "cosmic" tales and space opera; for revamping the Marvel Comics characters Captain Marvel and Adam Warlock; and for creating or co-creating the Marvel characters Thanos and Shang-Chi, Master of Kung Fu. Death and suicide are recurring themes in Starlin's work: Pers ...more
More about Jim Starlin...

Post-Crisis Superman Chronology (1 - 10 of 37 books)
  • Superman: The Man of Steel, Vol. 1
  • Superman: The Man of Steel, Vol. 6
  • Superman: The Man of Steel, Vol. 7
  • Superman: The Man of Steel, Vol. 8
  • Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman
Batman: A Death in the Family The Infinity Gauntlet Batman: The Cult The Silver Surfer: Rebirth of Thanos Batman: A Death in the Family