Start by marking “Dead Sleep (Mississippi #3)” as Want to Read:
Dead Sleep (Mississippi #3)

Dead Sleep (Mississippi #3)

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  7,807 Ratings  ·  473 Reviews
Greg Iles lives up to the promise of his previous bestseller, 24 Hours, with a new thriller that showcases his ability to deliver top-level suspense as well as multidimensional characterization. When Jordan Glass, a world-renowned photojournalist, happens on an exhibit of a series of paintings known as "The Sleeping Women," she is stunned to discover that one of the models ...more
Published January 1st 2007 by Hodder And Stoughton (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Sleep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Sleep

James Thane
Mar 23, 2010 James Thane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While in Hong Kong, photojournalist Jordan Glass wanders into an exhibit of paintings called "The Sleeping Women," and is unable to imagine why her presence is causing such a stir among the patrons and staff of the museum. The paintings alone are unsettling, because it appears to her trained eye that the women are not merely sleeping but are, in fact, dead. And then Jordan gets the shock of her life when she sees her own mirror image staring lifelessly back at her from one of the paintings.

Donnelle
Apr 11, 2010 Donnelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Others have already gone over the finer points of the story in their reviews, so I'll concentrate on the writing itself. Iles definitely knows how to create unique crimes and the characters who commit them - the methods and scenarios he utilized for the villain(s) of the piece were unlike any that I had read about before.

Iles' weakness, then, isn't in the overall story-telling in this case, but lies in the fact that at times, he telegraphs his punches too much - the foreshadowing used in some s
Bill
Feb 04, 2008 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Greg Iles has spoiled me with Mortal Fear.

Every novel I read by him now has the unenviable task of having to measure up to what I consider his best work. Regardless of whether it stands up in the face of this scrutiny, He can't seem to write a bad novel. He is as good if not better than any of the "masters of suspense" diluting the market today. Dead Sleep is a clever thriller in which
a world class photojournalist (a woman, written in the first person) who is haunted both by the disappearance o
Patrice Hoffman
Oct 12, 2011 Patrice Hoffman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I know there are so many things that can be talked about in this book but the ending for me was one of the best endings I've read in a long time. I enjoyed the ride it took to get to the end. I won't give anything away from the actual story or plot but... this author, Iles, has not disappointed me yet.
Noni Fro (Janon)
My first Iles book - and it won't be my last. I've heard about this author for years, not sure why it took me so long to pick up one of his books.
David
Mar 13, 2013 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could give this one three and a half stars, because for me it only misses the four star mark by a small margin! Primarily because of its extremely contrived and silly stuff that follows the main resolution. Sorry, he just took it a step too far.

Still, the remainder of the novel has some really neat Hannibal Lectorish moments, some artsy fartsy characters, and enough suspects to confuse even the most careful reader.

The story begins when photographer Jordan Glass enters an art museum in
Yvonne
What an intriguing concept. Jordan Glass comes across a series of paintings taking the artworld by storm in Hong Kong. They are paintings depicting nude women in repose, asleep or are they possibly dead? Jordan is stunned to discover that one of the paintings features a woman that looks exactly like her. Could it be her twin sister who's been missing for over a year? Is she dead or alive.

Jordan immediately reconnects with the FBI to try to unravel this mystery. The story is well paced in general
Kyra
Aug 27, 2009 Kyra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am in a bad financial place where I am stuck reading books from my (very small) local public library. I am only going to write one review but I have galloped through everything this library has by Greg Iles. Quintessential airplane reading, these fast-moving suspense novels always seem to feature nasty doctors (and a couple of good ones) getting up to nasty murderous doings in either Mississippi or Louisiana, Iles' home turf. The plots are INSANELY ludicrous....BUT Iles writes very very well i ...more
Tanja Berg
Sep 19, 2015 Tanja Berg rated it liked it
Rating 3.4* out of 5. I was surprised by how quickly this book took me in. I started to root for the main character almost immediately. She is Jordan, a photojournalist who suddenly finds herself facing a painted picture of her lost sister Jane. The painting is in a series called "sleeping women", but Jordan quickly senses that they are not sleeping, they are dead.

Jordan brings the news of the painting to the FBI and demands to be a part of the investigation. They let her. After the first 100 p
Karen
Such a good book it will be on my "top reads of 2016 shelf." There were a few sidelines in the book I did not like much and the lead character did some stuff a few times that that were really dumb: I found myself thinking, "What?"and "Why are you doing this?"I did not have much time to read upon starting this book, but the beginning hooked me from the start. I had a whole day to read this weekend though and could not put it down. I have found an author I will most likely read all his books. If y ...more
Bárbara
Jul 06, 2014 Bárbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
4 estrellas
¡Al fin lo terminé! Déjenme celebrar xD
La vida se interpuso en mi camino y no me dejaba avanzar en este magnífico libro. Que sí, que no es la joya del siglo, pero me sorprendió gratamente. La protagonista es una mujer muy fuerte y desde el principio hasta el final lo demuestra una y otra vez. Y bueno, eso de que el autor juege con medias verdades es lo mejor. Quizá la participación de De Becque es la más incongruente; su aporte final es un poco forzado.
Recomendado para quienes gusten
Stacy
Aug 28, 2012 Stacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The action is non stop, the characters have depth, and the mystery is top notch. The paintings and the possibility that the women may be dead haunted me just as the possibility did Jordan. The spooky vibe and the sexual tension between Jordan and FBI Agent John Kaiser keep the book operating on all cylinders. This is a great thriller and I look forward to reading more from Greg Iles.

there's more on my blog http://stacybuckeye.wordpress.com/200...
Antoinette
It was annoying that the book was so suspenseful that I couldn't put it down, yet I ended up thinking the plot was stupid and implausible, and he made one major error in the middle. I hate that.
But I can't resist the plug anyway for book buyers Inc. in Mountain View. I got this book through their "blind date with a book program." The book is wrapped in plain brown paper and you get only a skeleton description. Very cute idea.
Natalie
Dec 09, 2012 Natalie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
Dobar triler, no pitam se; gdje FBI da jednom ''civilu'' dopusti pristup slučaju i gotovo ga vodi do kraja? Ovdje je FBI ispal totalno nesposoban a jedna outsider fotoreporterka glavna u upadanju i istrazi slučaja, bez obzira što joj sestra predmet istrage, još jedan onak nevjerojatan slučaj. Sve u svemu, dobar kraj.
Amy Billman
Sep 05, 2011 Amy Billman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have yet to have found a book by this author that I did not like. They never disappoint.
The ending was unexpected in some ways for sure, but you don't really get to tie everything fully together until the book is nearing the end. Awesome, and as always, a worthwhile read that keeps you guessing.
Carrieb
Feb 28, 2010 Carrieb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thoroughly enjoyable thriller. As for learning anything - just confirmation of the same old fact; that mankind is capable of incredible cruelty, but also of great creativity. Iles main characters are well defined and empathic. Dead Sleep is very inventive and quite chilling in making you feel both the helplessness of its victims and the coldness of the killer's duality.
Lightblue
Un thriller da cui mi aspettavo decisamente di piu'. Le ultime 100 pagine sono molto buone, cariche di tensione, ma che fatica leggere le prime 300!! La protagonista mi e' risultata un po' antipatica...
Cheryl Harflett
May 27, 2014 Cheryl Harflett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third Iles book I have read. He is very quickly becoming a favourite of mine. His stories are action packed with the perfect amount of twists and turns to keep my attention without being too unrealistic.
Don
May 22, 2015 Don rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since I gave it five stars, obviously I enjoyed this book. Well worth reading. Iles has become one of my favorite authors. I hardly recommend him and his novels.
Gail
Mar 30, 2015 Gail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovetoread

Awesome Greg you are always, he is and always will be one of the best mystery writers ever love your adventures bud ......
Jan
Nov 07, 2007 Jan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, own-copy
Very well written; very powerful; very complex characters. A "wow" read.
Andrea Vlasic
Jan 26, 2015 Andrea Vlasic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Izvrsna knjiga!!!! Sad moram vidjeti ima li Iles još prevedenih knjiga... :-)
Sebastian
Jan 26, 2013 Sebastian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Jordan Glass hat sich in ihrer Tätigkeit als Fotografin weltweit einen Namen gemacht, auch weil sie damit in die Fußstapfen ihres Vaters, eines berühmten Kriegsfotografen getreten ist. Nach ihren psychisch anspruchsvollen letzten Aufträgen und privaten Turbulenzen hat sie sich nun aber eine längere Auszeit genommen und arbeitet an einem persönlichen Bildband, für den sie rund um den Globus nach interessanten Motiven sucht. Ihre Reise führt sie dabei auch nach Hongkong, wo sie in ihrer Freizeit e ...more
Darlene
Jan 22, 2017 Darlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed reading books by Greg Iles since I first found one at a sale. He doesn't disappoint his readers. This kept me guessing as to who the killer could be. Must admit, was wrong many times. Right up to the end had you guessing and turning the pages to find out. That's what I like. I hate when you can figure it out too soon in the story. But Mr. Iles keeps you on the edge and makes you wanna keep reading. I am looking forward to reading another one by him.
Susan
Feb 22, 2017 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Twisted, dark thriller

Greg Iles books never fail to fascinate me. This one especially captivated me from the very beginning. The end had me in tears (spoiler here) but in a good way.
Koera
Jan 23, 2017 Koera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
im amazed with the wide reference : photography, painting, literature, psychology, etc. it's a great work with deep research
Doreen
Mar 08, 2017 Doreen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed story but feel too much detail. Quite a bit like Hemmingway
Lori
Feb 25, 2017 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read, but the ending wrapped up very quickly. Could have drawn out a bit longer.
Teresa
Jan 29, 2017 Teresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just a good, fast paced thriller. I dont agree with all of Iles social/political opinions, but I do enjoy his stories.
Stacy
Nov 23, 2016 Stacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a very good book. I was reading and reading I couldn't put it down.
  • Darkside
  • The Disappearance (Luke Garrison, #1)
  • Scavenger
  • Deviant Ways
  • The Devil's Teardrop
  • Strong Enough to Die (Caitlin Strong, #1)
  • Beyond Recognition (Boldt/Matthews, #4)
  • Sleeping Dogs (Butcher's Boy, #2)
  • One Last Scream
  • Crime School (Kathleen Mallory, #6)
  • Resurrection Day
  • The Fifth Angel
  • The Exile
  • Beyond Suspicion (Jack Swyteck, #2)
  • Stripped (Jonathan Stride, #2)
  • Killer Instinct
  • Watch Me
  • The Innocent
19696
Greg Iles was born in Germany in 1960. He grew up in Natchez, Mississippi, and graduated from the University of Mississippi in 1983. He was active in a band called "Frankly Scarlet", but quit after realizing that the touring lifestyle was not conducive with his family life. Once no longer busy with the band, he turned his attention to writing.

Greg's novels have been translated into various languag
More about Greg Iles...

Mississippi (5 books)
  • Mortal Fear
  • 24 Hours
  • Sleep No More
  • Blood Memory

Sooner or later. It had better be sooner. Later is like the horizon; it recedes as you approach. 23 likes
“My favorite book is The Mysterious Island. I order my books from a flimsy catalog the teacher hands out to every student in the class. Emil and the Detectives. White Fang. Like that. Money is tight for us, but when it comes to books my mother is a spendthrift; I can order as many as I like. I sit here day after day, waiting for my books to arrive. My books. It takes a month or more, but when they finally do, when the teacher opens the big box and passes out the orders to the kids, checking the books against a form taken from her desk, I glow with happiness. I've never had the newest dress, or the prettiest, but I always have the tallest stack of books. Little paperbacks that smell of wet ink. I lay my cheek against their cool covers, anticipating the stories inside, knowing all the other girls wonder what I could possibly want with those books.” 6 likes