Lord of Bones

Lord of Bones (BloodAngel #2)

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Jess and Ramsey stopped a demon from bringing about the apocalypse. But a gate was opened and more demons have come to Earth-inhabiting human bodies. Now, these demon hybrids are paving the way for the arrival of the Soulbreaker, known as Lord of Bones...
Published July 1st 2008 by Roc

Cornerofmadness
Have you read the prequel to this, Blood Angel ? No, then back away from this book and go get that one. It’s darn good in its own right and while, Lord gives you several hints to what happened it’s not really enough to fully enjoy this story. This one took me a tad longer than usual to read partly due to my work schedule but partly due to the dense plot that needed chewing over. The story is told from several points of view (each getting its own labeled chapter so it’s easy to follow).

Jess, one...more
Kelly Flanagan
I actually liked this book a lot more than I thought I would. I had tried to start it twice before, obviously without success. But third times a charm I guess. I think I will also like the first book,which I didn't have the pleasure of reading first. Thought let it be known that I didn't find it to be a hindrance to reading this one.
The characters, though, I found to surprise me and not all of them in a good way. Maybe it is due to being a second book, and certain things are assumed to be 'commo...more
Daniel
Every so often, I stumble across that proverbial 'needle in a hay-stack'.

I had only read one other title by Justine, and that was Uninvited. While Uninvited was a good read, it was more young-adultish to me, so I assumed 'Lord of Bones' to be more of the same.

I was wrong.

'Lord of Bones' proved to be one of those 'sleeper' hits for me, and it was able to grab my attention from the start, which is no small feat I might add. The scene with the surfer in the ocean staring in disbelief as a large...more
Danielle
** This rating is based purely on personal preferences; I have nothing to complain about the author's writing quality or style.

I may end up finishing this book, since I own it and only have a few more chapters to go--but not right now, not at this time in my life. Stories about demons are invariably oppressive, depressing and gratuitous in a morbid and ick way rather than a violent one--which I understand is how they're supposed to be. This one delivered. But I realized finally that they're jus...more
Michelle B
not quite what i was expecting from this book. did not realize there was a prequel until i started reading this one. not that you have to have read the prequel first but it would have helped give some insight first. i just felt like it kept jumping too much and i had to keep going back remembering who was who and doing what. b/c of this for me, it did make the characters stand out to me. no one to really relate to like i'm use to. i was struggling to finish the book and then when it was over it...more
Gerri Leen
This is the sequel to BloodAngel and it is a worthy sequel. It spans the line between dark fiction and horror (think Simon R. Green with an even edgier bent). This author draws me in like I don't usually get drawn in, and creates a world so believable that you just go along for the ride, even though it's very weird and not always comfortable. And anything can happen, as readers found out in BloodAngel. I hope we'll be seeing a lot more of Justine Musk. I don't know if this book calls out for a s...more
P.J. Coldren
Sep 21, 2008 P.J. Coldren rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of doomsday speculative fiction
Recommended to P.J. by: received for review
I found LORD OF BONES to be confusing. I had a difficult time, sometimes, keeping track of the characters. I'm still not sure about the plot - was the world as we know it saved or not? If this is part of a series, that nebulosity is probably a good thing, but it didn't inspire me to track down the first book in the series and I certainly don't feel any compulsion to read anything else by this writer. I enjoyed it while I was reading it, although I didn't have any trouble putting it down for 2 da...more
Emma

I just couldn't get into this book even though I persevered until the end. Out of the characters only Lucas and Del were interesting to me. The other thing which hindered me was the swapping of character viewpoints. I would just get going with one character and then it would swap to another. I've read books like this before but this time it just didn't work for me. Other people seem to have enjoyed the book but it just wasn't for me.
Jim Short
Descriptions are lacking. I understand that she is trying to describe abnormal/fantastical things but the situations and events are so 'far' out there that the descriptions of events/places lack any relatable connection and just end up as confusing.
Amanda
The writing was excellent, and I enjoyed the evolution of the characters and their relationships. The villain, however, I didn't find nearly as powerful as Asha, and his schemes and the climax itself never came together for me.
Matt
I have read all the hype about Lord of Bones, and will admit it peaked my inner creep and it did not disappoint! I would recommend this book as well as Blood angel. I am on to read The Uninvited next.
Lily
A good book but I likeed Blood Angel better. Having said that there were parts and visualizions that were really exceptionally good. For example Mr. "Web". WOW!! This is an author I will be watching!
kate
pretty much the same as the first, but a bit better. 3.5 stars, would be good as a movie.
juliet/
Also loved it. Will comment more on it later.
Sania
Haven't seen work this good in a long time
Fate
Fate marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Jennifer is currently reading it
Jul 25, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Erika Odom
Erika Odom marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Lily
Lily is currently reading it
Jun 12, 2014
Tommy Cramer
Tommy Cramer marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
C.
C. marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
boookwyrm
boookwyrm marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Carien
Carien marked it as to-read
May 02, 2014
  • Daemon Eyes (Daemons, Inc., #1 & #2)
  • Apocalypse Memories (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 7-8, #2)
  • Tales of Pain and Wonder
  • GloomCookie, Volume 2 (GloomCookie, #2)
  • Torn (The Blood Lily Chronicles, #2)
  • Bad Bargain (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 2, #5)
  • Dream of Me
  • The Last Angel (Kayla Steele, #2)
  • Of Masques and Martyrs (Shadow Saga #3)
  • Psyche's Gate
  • Demon Underground (Allay, #2)
  • The Dark Storm (Dark Storm #1)
  • Her Dark Destiny (Hunters of the Dark, #1)
  • Rave Master, Vol. 22
  • Ghostwriter
  • Ink (The Book of All Hours, #2)
Justine Musk was born in Peterborough, Ontario, Canada and earned a degree in English literature from Queen's University. After working and traveling in Australia and Japan, she moved to California. She is divorced and lives in Los Angeles.

Her website is www.tribalwriter.com.

She's the author of three books: a YA supernatural thriller called UNINVITED (MTV Books/Simon & Schuster), the dark urb...more
More about Justine Musk...
BloodAngel (BloodAngel #1) Uninvited Kiss Me Deadly: 13 Tales of Paranormal Love The Mammoth Book of Vampire Romance 2: Love Bites