Start by marking “Too Beautiful a Day to Die” as Want to Read:
Too Beautiful a Day to Die

Too Beautiful a Day to Die

Laurie Dann's increasingly psychotic behavior went ignored for years--until May 20, 1988, when she embarked on a brutal rampage that destroyed the tranquility in Winnetka, Illinois, forever.
Published November 1st 1992 by Berkley (first published July 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Too Beautiful a Day to Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Too Beautiful a Day to Die

Louise
Apr 06, 2009 Louise rated it liked it
Shelves: true-crime
Laurie Dann is a mentally disturbed girl who's family, unfortunately just didn't see that their daughter needed serious help. The police had contact with this girl on numerous occasions for threatening type behaviour, making harrassing telephone calls, purchasing hand guns and possibly even stabbing her ex-husband with an ice pick while he slept. Yet, no one thought to seek mental help for this girl until it was too late and she walked into an elementary school armed with 3 guns and began ...more
♥ Marlene♥
Sad that I swapped this book and that my copy has passed away in Canada I was told.

Checking my old bookcrossing shelf I see I gave it 7 out of 10 stars which sounds about right. Copied from bookcrossing:-->

Released 10 yrs ago (9/17/2004 UTC) at mailed in Casualreader.net, Bookrelay -- Controlled Releases

RELEASE NOTES:

This book was accepted on casual reader's relay site in the International True Crime relay
Take a Look

The book was accepted by macdonv in Canada.

Thankfully macdonv did read it a
Ann
Jun 04, 2011 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, adults
I thought I knew a lot about the Laurie Dann case, but I truly didn't. The depth Egginton goes into, both in Dann's life, as well as those of the victims, police and doctors involved in the crimes is impressive. This is well done true crime, although it does feel a bit dated.
Gia Marie
Sep 11, 2016 Gia Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely one of my top 10 True Crime Books.
Egginton was so thorough and full of detail and life within her words it was almost as though I was there. From beginning to end it was a fantastic "couldn't put it down" book.
Fishface
May 30, 2016 Fishface rated it liked it
Shelves: true-crime
This was a good read, focusing a lot less on Laurie Dann's pathology than MURDER OF INNOCENCE and spending a lot more time on the ripple effect she caused in Winnetka. Tells you what the police, emergency-service people, hospital staff and the victims of the crime went through. This is a great one for those interested in the long-term societal effects of a crime on a community.
Rita
Jan 18, 2016 Rita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fascinating story of this bizarre and shocking crime which uncovers a plethora of puzzles surrounding the events and the people involved. It is a well-written detailed account of horror that stays in your mind and never leaves. This author did a superb account in the telling of it. I recommend it.
Jacqueline
Dec 26, 2012 Jacqueline rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Uninteresting for a book about a mass murder, the author failed to grab my attention long enough for me to finish the story, which is sad because I'm a true crime buff.
SouthWestZippy
This book is about Laurie Dann and the horrible acts she did in Chicago's northern suburb of Winnetka. It took place in 1988. Very good but very sad and and sometimes hard to read book.
Dommdy
Dommdy rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2011
Joe
Joe rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2015
Leslie
Leslie rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2016
angela thorpe
angela thorpe rated it it was ok
Jul 21, 2010
Patricia Mansker
Patricia Mansker rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Vivian
Vivian rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2015
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2013
Barbara Justiniano
Barbara Justiniano rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2009
Heidi
Heidi rated it it was ok
Mar 14, 2011
Judy Wallace
Judy Wallace rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2015
David
David rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2014
Kit Aquino
Kit Aquino rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2011
Michele
Michele rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2013
Leigh Anneinky
Leigh Anneinky rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2015
Teresa
Teresa rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2012
Sam
Sam rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Jane
Jane rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2014
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2012
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2015
Rasy33
Rasy33 rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2016
Erika Nerdypants
Erika Nerdypants rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2011
Vennie
Vennie rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2011