Start by marking “The Legend of Shannonderry” as Want to Read:
The Legend of Shannonderry

The Legend of Shannonderry

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  1,105 Ratings  ·  152 Reviews
Gwyneth Beddows, a young woman of nineteenth-century England, has often felt lonely and unloved by her father, who believes the rumors that his pretty daughter might not actually be his child. The one place the young woman can find consolation is in the saddle of her spirited stallion. The magnificent horse shows promise as a racehorse and has drawn the attention of Irish ...more
Published January 1st 2010 by Covenant Communications

To ask other readers questions about The Legend of Shannonderry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Legend of Shannonderry

Heather
Sep 19, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it
The loyalty I feel toward this author is solid, to say the least. Her second book, "Before the Dawn" is in my top ten of all-time favorite books. I've read it several times; it comes off the shelf about once a year, right around the rainy season. Although I've never met the author, that book was like a personal gift to me, from her.

But getting on to this book... though it didn't replace "Before the Dawn" or even make the top ten, I did enjoy it. Carol Warburton writes with a beautiful simplicity
 Mummy Cat Claire
Oct 11, 2010 Mummy Cat Claire rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
When I saw the cover of this book I was instantly drawn to it. After reading the summary of it, though, I was a bit confused. The cover is very attractive but it gives off a modern feel, in my opinion. The book, however, is set in 1810.
Other than the cover, this book had its problems. But first, the premise was good. I still enjoy reading about pretty girls and their horses. Mostly becuase I wish I could be one. Oh well.
I liked Gwyneth, the main character. I felt she was likable and she had he
Taffy
Dec 29, 2010 Taffy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010-reads
This story is a 19th century Cinderella story, except there is a father who isn't nice. Gwyneth is not treated well by her father thanks to a stupid rumor. Her stepmother also treats her poorly. When Gwyneth's grandmother, someone she hasn't met, sends for her, Gwyneth is overjoyed at the prospect of leaving home.

What she finds in Ireland shocks her. She is part of a legend. Can she live up to it? And will the Irish man who thinks English girls should stay in England love her? Or will her past r
Cheri
Aug 27, 2010 Cheri rated it really liked it
What a great book!! Set in England and Ireland, I can imagine in my mind the beautiful lush green countryside in which she rides her stallion Tyrn, wearing britches and a hat to cover her hair, flying over hedges in daring races. Gwyneth has always wondered about her mother, who died giving birth to her. She has never met her Grandmother who lives in Ireland. When circumstances send her running from her home to Shannonderry where her mother was born and raised, she feels like she is finnally hom ...more
Katie W
Jan 10, 2011 Katie W rated it really liked it
A great story about a girl, Gwyneth, who is half Irish and half English. Her mother died right after she was born and her father refuses to talk about her mother, thinking he was betrayed. When her grandmother sends for her, she jumps at the chance and runs away to Ireland, with the help of Cormac D'Arcy.

This is an especially great story if you like historical romance and mystery, mingled with a love of horses.
Becky
Jan 07, 2011 Becky rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly entertaining- one of my favorite Warburton books yet. I loved the backdrop of 19th century English and Irish rivalry. I almost wish there was a sequel- maybe with Owen the brother or their children going back to England.
Kathryn
Oct 19, 2010 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Rachel
Sep 03, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it
Fun read. About a girl whose Irish Mother runs away with an Englishman. Her mother Dies in childbirth and her father believes his wife has betrayed him. A wild stallion gets in with her fathers horses and a foal is born. Gwyneth begs her father who says she can have the horse if she can tame him. Her Grandmother is getting old and needs her help to take over Shannonderry so sends an irishman Mccormick to ask her to come. She agrees and sneaks away with her horse to meet her grandmother. At first ...more
Melynda
Sep 19, 2011 Melynda rated it liked it
This was a good read. Safe for "happily ever after required" readers. Every problem that came up was quickly or very easily resolved. It did my heart good to read a safe book. After about the 3rd trial and fairly easy resolve I didn't worry when the next few trials began. I even found myself imagining how bad her trails could get but knew it would never go that far because this was a safe book. I am grateful for this vacation from all the other books that pulls me through heartache and frustrati ...more
Melanie Jacobson
Apr 05, 2011 Melanie Jacobson rated it liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction
There was a meticulous (and still entertaining) attention to detail here that I really enjoyed. The author definitely did her research and I was convinced she knew her stuff. And the peril was great. And I like that the characters had some dimension to them. I have two reasons for giving it 3 instead of 4 stars, though. First, the pacing through the first part of the book was . . . I don't know. I just couldn't hit a groove with it. Or maybe it's that at first this felt a little cut-and-pasted f ...more
Kristen
Dec 28, 2010 Kristen rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. The cover makes it appear to be your run-of-the-mill LDS romance, but it is a substantial piece of literature that could've easily been published in a national market. The book is lovely.

Warburton created a timeless, well researched, charming tale of love, intrigue. It has the certain charm of a Bronte or Austen, with the advantage of contemporary readability. Everytime I started to fear predictability, I was delighted to find a small twist in the plot th
Jim
May 29, 2012 Jim rated it liked it
I liked the characters and the plot was admirable. The biggest issue I had with the story was that every time there was sexual tension or any kind of intrigue, they were resolved so quickly that I barely felt any suspense. Gwyneth misunderstands Cormac (potential lovers, in the 19th century sense) and you're ready for the consequences but two paragraphs later he digs it out of her and it's resolved. Cormac knows of a place that no one could know about to take Gwyneth and horse to hide from her f ...more
Kelly
Jan 06, 2012 Kelly rated it liked it
Warburton has helped reedeem my opinion of LDS authors. The Legend of Shannonderry was a good read. 3.5 stars. I have long felt that LDS authors tend to be cheesy, corny, and cliche. Warburton wrote nothing of the LDS faith, it was a historical fiction set in England/Ireland in the early 1800s. There was tension between Protistants and Catholics, the Irish being Catholics, and the English forcing their Protistant faith on the Irish, taking away lands until the Irish converted. All in all, it was ...more
Marcie
Feb 02, 2012 Marcie rated it liked it
Shelves: love-stories, history
Every romance is the same. Two people meet. they don't like each other very much. they begin to like each other. they love each other. they kiss. someone or something comes in their way. they think they have to 'let' the other person 'go'. it all comes to a big climax. and they live happily ever after. It's not just this book, but I am SOOOOOOOOO sick of reading the same thing over and over again. I want a little originality. Rant over.

On a side note, i really like the Irish history in this book
Shellie
Feb 28, 2012 Shellie rated it really liked it
Half English, half Irish. And not fitting in with the people of either country. And then she makes her claim at her grandmother's in Ireland; a grandmother she has never met.

Gwyneth takes her stallion, Toryn, with her, and together, they win a race that sets in motion events leading up to her estranged father finding her, demanding the stallion, and Gwyneth ultimately standing up to her father which is something she has not been able to do in the past.

Wrongs are made right, Toryn wins another
Kristi
Feb 17, 2011 Kristi rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction
I loved this story. I loved that it was set in Ireland and all the beautiful horses. I'm a sap for a happy feel good romance and that is exactly what this was. I will admit that even though the author put in obstacles, they were easily overcome and the heroine never really stumbled or felt too real. I would have liked to hear more about her feelings from growing up with her father. I guess what I'm trying to say is she really needed more depth. I still loved the story though, and I will most lik ...more
Sheila
Dec 14, 2010 Sheila rated it really liked it
I liked this action packed romance. Wonderful main character in Gwyneth, who tries to fulfill the Legend of Shannonderry. Grandmother Moira is old, but still strong and commanding. I loved the relationship between Gwyneth and her Grandmother; very sweet.

The Romance is good between Gwyneth and Cormac. You knew from the first that they would get together. Carol Warburton uses great detail to bring Ireland alive for her readers. If you like a historical romance laced with mystery and action, read L
Melissa
This was a good read. I was surprised I liked it as much as I did. There was a predictability problem and the ending drug a little, but other than that it was good. The writing was ok and there was a small religious undertone but so light it was barley there for anyone who doesn't like to read that and it wasn't directed at any one religion. I liked the main character, I wish we could have had a little more of her thoughts and feelings she was just a little flat, but I don't expect a lot of deep ...more
Tiffany
Oct 22, 2011 Tiffany rated it liked it
I am not a horse person myself but enjoyed Gwyneth and her horse. I was excited about the races and loved her relationship that developed with her Grandma and Katie. I have to say the relationship with D'Arcy was a little off for me. I need a little more of a build up in friendship, love or something more than was given to me.

The book was clean and I enjoyed how things were all resolved in the end.
Annalisa
Sep 23, 2010 Annalisa rated it it was amazing
This book was delightful! I enjoyed the descriptions of 19th century England and Ireland. It had turmoil (though not very suspenseful) and a wonderful romance between Gwyneth Beddows and Cormack D'Arcy. It is a story of English born Gwyneth returning to her mother's family home "Shannonderry" in Ireland where a family legend inspires great things pertaining to the land and her beautiful stallion Toryn.
Megan
Probably more like a 2.5. I really liked the story at the beginning, but Gwyneth really started to bug me towards the middle of the book. (view spoiler) ...more
Susan
Oct 14, 2010 Susan rated it liked it
My first thought after reading this was that is should have been marked fantasy - not for the magical characters but for the unreality of the book. However, it was a fun fantasy.
Gwyneth's father doesn't treat her well so when her Grandmother, who she has never met, writes and asks her to come to Ireland to see her, she runs away and with the help of the hero makes her way to her mother's old home. Here she fulfills the promise of the the Legend of Shannonderry.
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
I really enjoyed this one. It was a fun escape. I liked Gwyneth, she had a lot of spunk. Cormac was also a great leading man, he supported Gwyneth, but was also a great protector. Their relationship was fun to watch evolve. The setting is fun, it makes me want to travel to Ireland. There is a bit of a mystery and some adventure. The ending was great. Overall, a fun story, great setting and a romantic love story.

Jan 27, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I really liked this story. It is set in the 19th century. The story starts with in England and then ends out in Ireland. There is information about the Irish and their stories about leprechauns and fairies plus the struggle between the Christians and Protestants. The story follows a girl who is half English and half Irish. So does not fit in England and is somewhat hated in Ireland. There is danger and a mystery and of course a love story.
Mary-Anne Swift
Feb 03, 2015 Mary-Anne Swift rated it it was ok
I was excited about this book. The description sounded exciting and cute. And it could have been, but it wasn't. The writing was so ... dry. I felt no emotional connection to the characters, which was so disappointing. The love story between Cormac and Gwyneth could have been so cute! But it just wasn't there. The writing wasn't very good and it was kind of jumpy and just didn't flow. Disappointing.
Bonnie Gwyn
Sep 09, 2011 Bonnie Gwyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: love
Okay, this is one of the best books I've picked up for years. It totally fits my style - a while back, Irish, horses and a romance. Beautiful. :) One of those books I couldn't put down. I'd recommend it to any number of people, if they're anything like me. Haha It's quite the adventure, with both fear, danger and love. Perfect if you can mix those elements together the right way. :) I smile whenever I see the cover. Haha For sure an amazing read!
Michelle Dalley
Aug 19, 2011 Michelle Dalley rated it really liked it
Pleasantly surprised by this book. Good writing, research, unanticipated twists led to an enjoyable story. At times was a bit cheesy, and problems resolved too easily. Really liked the characters, setting, and time period. Romance between Cormac and Gywneth was great, although I found his timing with trouble slightly unrealistic. Overall, a fun read.
Danyelle Ferguson
Jan 10, 2011 Danyelle Ferguson rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I loved the historical setting in England and Ireland. The characters - Gwyneth and Cormac - were a great romantic pair. Some humor was weaved into their courtship. I loved the Grandmother and her perky attitude. This is definitely a book I'd recommend to those who love historical romance and horses.
Toni
Jul 13, 2011 Toni rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This has to be my very favorite book of all! I just had to reread it again this year. I love Carol's writing. I feel like I'm right there with her characters and can see what they see. Makes me want to go to Ireland. I totally love these characters and I'm glad I have a copy of this book now so I can reread it many more times.
Samantha
Mar 16, 2016 Samantha rated it really liked it
I thought this was a great read book!
I wouldn't mind re-reading it. The only cons I have about this book is the characters are flat. Very little detail. Though With a little imagination the characters came to life, Also the ending of the book moved a little fast for comfortable.
Other then that it had a great adventure!
  • Captive Heart
  • Montana Summer
  • Royal Secrets (Royal, #2)
  • Courting Miss Lancaster (The Lancaster Family #2)
  • Weathered Too Young
  • Loyalty's Web (Poitevin Hearts, #1)
  • Borrowed Light (Borrowed Light #1)
  • The List
  • Trespass (Traitor, #3)
  • The Guise of a Gentleman (Rogue Hearts, #2)
  • Mark of Royalty