Start by marking “The Legend of Shannonderry” as Want to Read:
The Legend of Shannonderry

The Legend of Shannonderry

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  909 ratings  ·  137 reviews
Gwyneth Beddows, a young woman of nineteenth-century England, has often felt lonely and unloved by her father, who believes the rumors that his pretty daughter might not actually be his child. The one place the young woman can find consolation is in the saddle of her spirited stallion. The magnificent horse shows promise as a racehorse and has drawn the attention of Irish ...more
Published January 1st 2010 by Covenant Communications

To ask other readers questions about The Legend of Shannonderry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Legend of Shannonderry

Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites by Chris HeimerdingerPillar of Light by Gerald N. LundCharly by Jack WeylandPrincess Academy by Shannon HaleFire of the Covenant by Gerald N. Lund
Best LDS fiction
136th out of 456 books — 408 voters
Princess Academy by Shannon HaleFablehaven by Brandon MullThe Goose Girl by Shannon HalePrincess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day GeorgePrincess of Glass by Jessica Day George
Books by Utah Authors
96th out of 727 books — 351 voters

More lists with this book...

Heather
The loyalty I feel toward this author is solid, to say the least. Her second book, "Before the Dawn" is in my top ten of all-time favorite books. I've read it several times; it comes off the shelf about once a year, right around the rainy season. Although I've never met the author, that book was like a personal gift to me, from her.

But getting on to this book... though it didn't replace "Before the Dawn" or even make the top ten, I did enjoy it. Carol Warburton writes with a beautiful simplicity
Taffy
This story is a 19th century Cinderella story, except there is a father who isn't nice. Gwyneth is not treated well by her father thanks to a stupid rumor. Her stepmother also treats her poorly. When Gwyneth's grandmother, someone she hasn't met, sends for her, Gwyneth is overjoyed at the prospect of leaving home.

What she finds in Ireland shocks her. She is part of a legend. Can she live up to it? And will the Irish man who thinks English girls should stay in England love her? Or will her past r
Cheri
What a great book!! Set in England and Ireland, I can imagine in my mind the beautiful lush green countryside in which she rides her stallion Tyrn, wearing britches and a hat to cover her hair, flying over hedges in daring races. Gwyneth has always wondered about her mother, who died giving birth to her. She has never met her Grandmother who lives in Ireland. When circumstances send her running from her home to Shannonderry where her mother was born and raised, she feels like she is finnally hom ...more
Katie Watkins
A great story about a girl, Gwyneth, who is half Irish and half English. Her mother died right after she was born and her father refuses to talk about her mother, thinking he was betrayed. When her grandmother sends for her, she jumps at the chance and runs away to Ireland, with the help of Cormac D'Arcy.

This is an especially great story if you like historical romance and mystery, mingled with a love of horses.
Becky
Thoroughly entertaining- one of my favorite Warburton books yet. I loved the backdrop of 19th century English and Irish rivalry. I almost wish there was a sequel- maybe with Owen the brother or their children going back to England.
Claire
When I saw the cover of this book I was instantly drawn to it. After reading the summary of it, though, I was a bit confused. The cover is very attractive but it gives off a modern feel, in my opinion. The book, however, is set in 1810.
Other than the cover, this book had its problems. But first, the premise was good. I still enjoy reading about pretty girls and their horses. Mostly becuase I wish I could be one. Oh well.
I liked Gwyneth, the main character. I felt she was likable and she had he
Kristen
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. The cover makes it appear to be your run-of-the-mill LDS romance, but it is a substantial piece of literature that could've easily been published in a national market. The book is lovely.

Warburton created a timeless, well researched, charming tale of love, intrigue. It has the certain charm of a Bronte or Austen, with the advantage of contemporary readability. Everytime I started to fear predictability, I was delighted to find a small twist in the plot th
Kathryn
Melynda
This was a good read. Safe for "happily ever after required" readers. Every problem that came up was quickly or very easily resolved. It did my heart good to read a safe book. After about the 3rd trial and fairly easy resolve I didn't worry when the next few trials began. I even found myself imagining how bad her trails could get but knew it would never go that far because this was a safe book. I am grateful for this vacation from all the other books that pulls me through heartache and frustrati ...more
Melanie Jacobson
There was a meticulous (and still entertaining) attention to detail here that I really enjoyed. The author definitely did her research and I was convinced she knew her stuff. And the peril was great. And I like that the characters had some dimension to them. I have two reasons for giving it 3 instead of 4 stars, though. First, the pacing through the first part of the book was . . . I don't know. I just couldn't hit a groove with it. Or maybe it's that at first this felt a little cut-and-pasted f ...more
Marcie
Every romance is the same. Two people meet. they don't like each other very much. they begin to like each other. they love each other. they kiss. someone or something comes in their way. they think they have to 'let' the other person 'go'. it all comes to a big climax. and they live happily ever after. It's not just this book, but I am SOOOOOOOOO sick of reading the same thing over and over again. I want a little originality. Rant over.

On a side note, i really like the Irish history in this book
Jim
I liked the characters and the plot was admirable. The biggest issue I had with the story was that every time there was sexual tension or any kind of intrigue, they were resolved so quickly that I barely felt any suspense. Gwyneth misunderstands Cormac (potential lovers, in the 19th century sense) and you're ready for the consequences but two paragraphs later he digs it out of her and it's resolved. Cormac knows of a place that no one could know about to take Gwyneth and horse to hide from her f ...more
Shellie
Half English, half Irish. And not fitting in with the people of either country. And then she makes her claim at her grandmother's in Ireland; a grandmother she has never met.

Gwyneth takes her stallion, Toryn, with her, and together, they win a race that sets in motion events leading up to her estranged father finding her, demanding the stallion, and Gwyneth ultimately standing up to her father which is something she has not been able to do in the past.

Wrongs are made right, Toryn wins another
Kelly
Warburton has helped reedeem my opinion of LDS authors. The Legend of Shannonderry was a good read. 3.5 stars. I have long felt that LDS authors tend to be cheesy, corny, and cliche. Warburton wrote nothing of the LDS faith, it was a historical fiction set in England/Ireland in the early 1800s. There was tension between Protistants and Catholics, the Irish being Catholics, and the English forcing their Protistant faith on the Irish, taking away lands until the Irish converted. All in all, it was ...more
Melissa
This was a good read. I was surprised I liked it as much as I did. There was a predictability problem and the ending drug a little, but other than that it was good. The writing was ok and there was a small religious undertone but so light it was barley there for anyone who doesn't like to read that and it wasn't directed at any one religion. I liked the main character, I wish we could have had a little more of her thoughts and feelings she was just a little flat, but I don't expect a lot of deep ...more
Amy
I liked this story, but have given up on others by this author a few chapters in. This one I stuck with it because somewhere deep down I wanted to enjoy this book. It turned out great!
Annette Purnell
Your basic romance but I enjoyed it. Clean and interesting.
Carissa
It was cute. Short and sweet read.
Sheila
I liked this action packed romance. Wonderful main character in Gwyneth, who tries to fulfill the Legend of Shannonderry. Grandmother Moira is old, but still strong and commanding. I loved the relationship between Gwyneth and her Grandmother; very sweet.

The Romance is good between Gwyneth and Cormac. You knew from the first that they would get together. Carol Warburton uses great detail to bring Ireland alive for her readers. If you like a historical romance laced with mystery and action, read L
Kristi
I loved this story. I loved that it was set in Ireland and all the beautiful horses. I'm a sap for a happy feel good romance and that is exactly what this was. I will admit that even though the author put in obstacles, they were easily overcome and the heroine never really stumbled or felt too real. I would have liked to hear more about her feelings from growing up with her father. I guess what I'm trying to say is she really needed more depth. I still loved the story though, and I will most lik ...more
This is my first book by this author. I have to say that I really enjoyed it a lot. I can't wait to read others by her.
Sara Shupe
Another author that I will love to just keep reading. Relaxing and not too brain taxing, which I need!
Susan
My first thought after reading this was that is should have been marked fantasy - not for the magical characters but for the unreality of the book. However, it was a fun fantasy.
Gwyneth's father doesn't treat her well so when her Grandmother, who she has never met, writes and asks her to come to Ireland to see her, she runs away and with the help of the hero makes her way to her mother's old home. Here she fulfills the promise of the the Legend of Shannonderry.
Bonnie Gwyn
Okay, this is one of the best books I've picked up for years. It totally fits my style - a while back, Irish, horses and a romance. Beautiful. :) One of those books I couldn't put down. I'd recommend it to any number of people, if they're anything like me. Haha It's quite the adventure, with both fear, danger and love. Perfect if you can mix those elements together the right way. :) I smile whenever I see the cover. Haha For sure an amazing read!
I really liked this story. It is set in the 19th century. The story starts with in England and then ends out in Ireland. There is information about the Irish and their stories about leprechauns and fairies plus the struggle between the Christians and Protestants. The story follows a girl who is half English and half Irish. So does not fit in England and is somewhat hated in Ireland. There is danger and a mystery and of course a love story.
Kathy
I really enjoyed this one. It was a fun escape. I liked Gwyneth, she had a lot of spunk. Cormac was also a great leading man, he supported Gwyneth, but was also a great protector. Their relationship was fun to watch evolve. The setting is fun, it makes me want to travel to Ireland. There is a bit of a mystery and some adventure. The ending was great. Overall, a fun story, great setting and a romantic love story.

Tiffany
I am not a horse person myself but enjoyed Gwyneth and her horse. I was excited about the races and loved her relationship that developed with her Grandma and Katie. I have to say the relationship with D'Arcy was a little off for me. I need a little more of a build up in friendship, love or something more than was given to me.

The book was clean and I enjoyed how things were all resolved in the end.
Annalisa
This book was delightful! I enjoyed the descriptions of 19th century England and Ireland. It had turmoil (though not very suspenseful) and a wonderful romance between Gwyneth Beddows and Cormack D'Arcy. It is a story of English born Gwyneth returning to her mother's family home "Shannonderry" in Ireland where a family legend inspires great things pertaining to the land and her beautiful stallion Toryn.
Amy
Very good book. Loved the story and the twist and turns. Feel in love with the characters. It was a story that I could easily see myself react the same way to some of the incidents. Loved all the horses and the races really brought excitement to the book. I held my breath a couple of times as they were racing. I will definitely read more of this authors books. Great story really enjoyed it.
Sam
Oct 12, 2013 Sam rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: owned
This was a cute, quick read. Clean, some romance, some adventure, a little intrigue - great for a vacation read. I enjoyed the pace and the characters were pretty good, as was the description of the country. I was pretty bothered by the fact that the guy's last name was D'Arcy. Seriously, you can't come up with a different name or was the allusion on purpose, because it just didn't fit.
  • Captive Heart
  • Montana Summer
  • Weathered Too Young
  • Loyalty's Web
  • Mark of Royalty
  • The Kiss of a Stranger
  • The Guise of a Gentleman
  • Backlash (Saint Squad, #4)
  • Trespass (Traitor, #3)
  • Borrowed Light (Borrowed Light #1)
  • Within the Dark Hills
  • The List
  • The Widower's Wife
Midnight Whispers Before the Dawn Whisper Hollow Edge of Night Eyes of a Stranger