Start by marking “Writing Your Journal Article in Twelve Weeks: A Guide to Academic Publishing Success” as Want to Read:

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  245 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
The book's greatest strength is the writer's ability to break down writing tasks for you each day - in order to get your article out in twelve weeks, while still juggling other responsibilities.

I think most people tend to overload themselves, then feel stress when they don't meet their writing goals.

Belcher presents very simple, hour-long, meet-able goals for each day.

E
Published February 13th 2009 (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Writing Your Journal Article in Twelve Weeks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing Your Journal Article in Twelve Weeks

Ms.Given
One of the reasons I rated this book so highly was the fact that I had the opportunity to use it as a part of a graduate class on revising writing. It was the most useful class of my doctoral work and I wish I had taken the course earlier! The book is well-organized, clear, direct, and gives structured guidelines for revising a piece of work for submission for publication. As a novice writer in the academic sense, I found the book helpful for making sure one starts writing and keeps writing thro ...more
Lindsay
Nov 30, 2014 Lindsay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Belcher’s book is a wonderful reference that can be used for anyone looking to publish for the first time in the social sciences, humanities, and education. However, the resources provided in the text such as the weekly writing schedules and the tips for macro and micro editing are relevant and useful even to those authors publishing for the tenth time. With the help of Belcher, writing and editing has become a habit where only a few hours a week blossom into completed texts ready to be sent out ...more
Gloria
Sep 10, 2010 Gloria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Overall, the book is definitely highly structured and good for those who need a great deal of help managing their time in what is always an onerous task. Found lots of confirmation about what I already teach while coaching graduate students. Good description of the academic journal landscape introduced throughout her lesson plan, which can be helpful for first time writers.

Fantastic example of original version, plagiarized version, borderline plagiarized and correctly summarized text which shoul
Katrina
Nov 23, 2009 Katrina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: graduate students and junior faculty
I used this book, with some adaptations, to teach MA students in my department how to write a thesis proposal. At the same time I used it to revise and resubmit an article and shared my process with the students. My article was accepted before the quarter's end, and this book helped that happen.
Kristi Wyatt
Apr 30, 2010 Kristi Wyatt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has helped me begin to work through my writing-paralysis! I think I will refer to it often in the future.
Kharah
Jun 06, 2013 Kharah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Keep in mind that when Belcher says 12 weeks, that's not 12 weeks from scratch but 12 weeks to take an essentially written project and convert it into something publishable. My take is that this is largely geared towards people who have little to no publishing/writing experience and who don't seem to have mentors/supervisors/advisers who are invested in teaching their students about writing and publishing in their area. So if you have writing experience and/or a solid advisor to coach you along, ...more
Katie
Sep 17, 2013 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A helpful guide to taking a rough project or paper and polishing it into a publishable journal article in three months. I'm a little skeptical that the distribution of work over 12 weeks is reasonable - there are some weeks that could be accomplished in an hour or two, while there are others that will eat up most of your week. But it's nevertheless a nice guide, and I'm hoping it will give some shape and drive to the sorts of projects that can tend to linger unfinished for months on end.

(Sorry I
Leah
Feb 03, 2011 Leah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Super disappointed. This book should be title "REVISING Your Jounal Article in 12 Weeks." It is completely based on the assumption that you have an existing paper you want to turn into a journal style article and doesn't provide help with the actual writing process (when starting from scratch). I'll come back to this book when I'm ready to revise I guess, because I do think it would be useful for that.
Elizabeth
Oct 26, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
This was one of the most thorough and clearly laid out books on academic writing I've seen. Belcher is not only encouraging (emotionally), she also provides pragmatic and realistic advice for how to prepare articles for publication. She is especially good at explaining what makes article writing different than writing for other genres, and she provides clear examples for modeling. Highly recommended.
Dougald
A decent read for anyone who has never read about academic writing before. If you have, it is skim-worthy.

Probably the strongest aspect of the book concerns argumentation in an academic article. Another strong section discusses how to weed down your reading for your article so that you are not buried under mounds of books and articles.
Mary
One for the workshop, certainly, maybe a class if supplemented with other professionalization tasks. I like the weekly process, the systematic approach and the language that seems to work for graduate students. Daily logs are very important for setting good habits of any sort and writing is no exception. The only complaints I have are that the grammatical proofing section is a little static (myself, I like Sword's text for academic style revisions) and that 12 weeks may seem awfully slow for wha ...more
Nmyers
Aug 28, 2011 Nmyers rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Had to stop reading this, it was too easy to procrastinate on reading over writing. Finally got some articles written and now to an APA editor. The deadline approaching did the magic. This book is really geared more toward editing an idea or article that is already written rather than starting from scratch.
Mandy
May 06, 2014 Mandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Belcher offers a direct and practical approach to revising an academic article for publication, in just 12 weeks if you keep to her mostly manageable schedule. I like how realistic this workbook is - Belcher doesn't expect writing to just be easy; she's upfront about it being hard, but she also addresses every possible excuse one could have for not writing and stresses that writing is an academic's job. If you're not writing, then you're not doing your job.

Belcher's advice is practical (write ev
Titus Hjelm
Some good advice if you can ignore the initially funny, but later quite ugly US-centrism. I don't know whether it tells more about the ignorance of the author or US academia, but there is actually some OK research done elsewhere in the world as well.
Connie
Feb 10, 2011 Connie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very useful book. It is written as a handbook that walks you step-by-step through writing an article for publication in an academic journal. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is currently writing or needs to write an academic article.
Jisel Villegas
Jun 27, 2013 Jisel Villegas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very useful and easy to read and follow.
Karra
Nov 15, 2009 Karra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is great!
Alex Timberman
This book helped me write my first peer-reviewed article. It gave me good advice on how to structure an article and on explaining what all should go into an article. The author gives tons of advice on how to write and publish an article in an easy to understand way. Without exaggeration, I believe she must have felt a higher calling to help those in need. This book felt inspired at times and I’m glad to own this book.
Anabela Maia
This is a great book for graduate students and early career researchers in the social sciences/humanities. The ideas are good but they are hard to apply to other fields. Some chapters about identifying suitable journals and decluttering your paper are useful across fields.
Chelsea Stone
Dec 27, 2015 Chelsea Stone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly useful for those academics who haven't been lucky enough to have someone explain the research publishing process in detail. Great editing tips too.
Essi
Jun 11, 2014 Essi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good hand-in-hand for revising an article. Easy to skip unnecessary parts and a good companion during the writing marathon. Demanding but supporting - and not in any too cheery a way but very realistic and trustworthy examples.

I was a bit disappointed that the grammar check section didn't have cases for ppl writing English as a second language: only further reading tips - which was ofcourse good but I didn't have the time to check for extra reading when I was at that point. We'll see if the ar
Sumeyye Pa
Jul 16, 2014 Sumeyye Pa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: how-to
This book is a gem for those struggling with writing.
Bill Guinee
Jul 19, 2015 Bill Guinee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really found this a first rate text on how to revise and polish an academic article. The writing is clear and well focused. In particular, I liked the sections on copy editing through a method of using the find and replace feature in Word to highlight words that might signal language difficulties in the piece. The result was that I ended up looking at sentence after sentence closely. I would recommend this work particularly for those fairly new to publishing academic journal articles.
Rebekah
Jul 24, 2012 Rebekah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommended. This step-by-step, no nonsense, get-it-done guide to dusting off half-finished work and sending it out is humanities-centric and up to date with the latest trends and guidelines in academic publishing.
Jul 23, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-thesis
Although I never did turn my thesis into a journal article, if I theoretically wanted to/had enough time, this would be an excellent workbook to start doing that.
Rebecca
Mar 02, 2015 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is very useful.
Kristin
Oct 05, 2011 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Useful advice for keeping oneself on task when prepping something for publication.
Aubrey
Aubrey rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016
Siobhan Feeney
Siobhan Feeney rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2016
  • How to Write a Lot: A Practical Guide to Productive Academic Writing
  • Stylish Academic Writing
  • Writing Your Dissertation in Fifteen Minutes a Day
  • Professors as Writers
  • Engaging Ideas: The Professor's Guide to Integrating Writing, Critical Thinking, and Active Learning in the Classroom
  • From Dissertation to Book
  • Demystifying Dissertation Writing: A Streamlined Process from Choice of Topic to Final Text
  • Writing for Social Scientists: How to Start and Finish Your Thesis, Book, or Article
  • What They Didn't Teach You in Graduate School: 199 Helpful Hints for Success in Your Academic Career
  • Destination Dissertation: A Traveler's Guide to a Done Dissertation
  • Graduate Study for the Twenty-First Century: How to Build an Academic Career in the Humanities
  • Writing with Style: Conversations on the Art of Writing
  • They Say/I Say: The Moves That Matter in Academic Writing
  • The Unwritten Rules of Ph.D. Research
  • The Clockwork Muse: A Practical Guide to Writing Theses, Dissertations & Books
  • The Craft of Research (Chicago Guides to Writing, Editing, and Publishing)
  • From Student to Scholar: A Candid Guide to Becoming a Professor
  • Getting What You Came For: The Smart Student's Guide to Earning an M.A. or a Ph.D.
rofessor Wendy Laura Belcher is an associate professor of African literature with a joint appointment in the Princeton University Department of Comparative Literature and the Center for African American Studies. Working at the intersection of diaspora, postcolonial, and eighteenth-century studies, she has a special interest in the literatures of Ethiopia and Ghana and a multi-book comparative proj ...more
More about Wendy Laura Belcher...

“The originality of a subject is in its treatment” (Disraeli 1870, 142).” 0 likes
“To be a good writer of journal articles, you must read journal articles.” 0 likes