Start by marking “I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1)” as Want to Read:
I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1)

I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies #1)

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  255,628 Ratings  ·  13,522 Reviews
In the beginning they were a group of nine. Nine aliens who left their home planet of Lorien when it fell under attack by the evil Mogadorian. Nine aliens who scattered on Earth. Nine aliens who look like ordinary teenagers living ordinary lives, but who have extraordinary, paranormal skills. Nine aliens who might be sitting next to you now. The Nine had to separate and go ...more
Published February 3rd 2011 by Penguin (first published August 3rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about I Am Number Four, please sign up.

Luis Martinez There is nothing wrong with watching the movie, as long as you don't watch it while reading the book.

For my luck, I had watched the movie first,…more

For my luck, I had watched the movie first, which I enjoyed so much to the point of purchasing the book. As I read the book (I finished it on January 28,15), I came to realize that the book holds extraordinary details and it is much more descriptive from the movie. The plot takes on a much better direction; also take note that the movie has certain things wrong which are opposite from the book, which makes you wonder what the director and writer were thinking about.

After finishing the book I realized how bad the movie is. It is indeed truly bad (compared to the book), I can't emphasize enough. However, based on my experience, it was a good preamble before I read the book. I am sure that it would be a completely different experience if you watch the movie after. That is because in your mind, your imagination has created how the characters look and how their personalities are, based on the book, rather, the movie changes them significantly.

When you are done reading your book, give the movie a try, the most you can lose are 2 hours of your time, but the most you can win is to love the book even more.
(less)
Nirjhar Yeah, there's a movie. I heard it was good. Hope you enjoyed the book! :)

Haleema
This book is so strange and awful, it's hard to explain exactly why I dislike it.

Thank God this book didn't live up to its hype like Twilight did. At least I hope it didn't because I don't really hear much about this one.

I couldn't get past chapter nine. It was such a bloody bore. I decided to give it time for me to find that little "spark." But, no.

Now here are the problems:

1. Lore can't use the word "and" in the proper way. Which seems like it's not a big of a deal, but it is! He randomly p
Lucy
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Oh boy, oh boy. I feel a long and ranting review coming on. *Rubs hands together* I secretly love tearing books to shreds. Figuratively, of course. Well, okay. I suppose this book could have been (slightly) more horrendous. I was very skeptical about it because, well, the story behind this book is rather sketchy.

So. Ever heard of James Frey? If not, he's an author who wrote a best-selling "memoir", A Million Little Pieces, which ultimately turned out to be fictional. So then everyone hated him a
Joyzi
Jan 05, 2014 Joyzi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Peeps who don't mind reading ridiculous alien stories
Recommended to Joyzi by: my boyfriend duh!
Movie Update
I already watched the movie and it was better than the book. The romance was still gushy and mushy but at least the dialogues were a lot better in the movie. Also the movie was more fast paced and was action-packed at the end of the show. I think the dog was really cute and Number Six was really cool in the movie. Sam was also likable in the film. After watching Alex Pettyfer act on the screen for the first time I got to say he deserve and he's fitted for the Peeta Mellark and Jace W
Ken
Dec 27, 2013 Ken rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, finished-in-2010
I AM NUMBER FOUR is actually number four million if you consider the predecessors it is based upon. Meaning? We've been here before. About a bazillion times.

Let's take stock: aliens on Earth disguised as Earthlings. In fact, your neighbor may be a Lorien (the "good guy" planet of concern here) and the haberdasher (way to blend in!) may be a Mogadarian (the "bad guy" aliens who are hunting Lorien-types to the death). Novel idea, eh?

So our protagonist is on his 5,398th alias. It's (steady now) "Jo
Arlene
Rating Clarification: 4.5 Stars

There is always hope… Don’t give up hope just yet. It’s the last thing to go. When you have lost hope, you have lost everything. So when you think all is lost, when all is dire and bleak, there is always hope.

Wow! Just wow!! Have I ever loved an alien invasion!?! This book was (no pun intended) OUT.OF.THIS.WORLD!

Okay, it’s official… I’m an alien fan and all this business about invasions, them possibly living among us, alternate life forms out there, other planets…
Jessica
Feb 22, 2011 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 24-ebooks
The Mogadorian caught Number One in Malaysia,
Number Two in England,
And Number Three in Kenya.
I am Number Four.
I am next.

Catchy, isn’t it?

Unfortunately, the story itself isn’t quite as catchy. I was rather underwhelmed, to be honest.

The plot was ok but somehow it only managed to hold my attention for a period of about 10 minutes. After that, I found myself getting bored and my thoughts kept drifting off to random topics like "what’s for dinner" or "shit, I really need to iron that white blouse o
Kogiopsis
Dec 04, 2011 Kogiopsis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Full review still in progress, but here's approximately the first half... pre-reading comments at the end.

EDIT: Okay, I'm never going to finish this thing. Frankly, I don't care. But I added a list of things I was planning to put into it at the end.

EDIT 2: Everyone who is even THINKING about reading this book should read this article: http://nymag.com/arts/books/features/... and find out exactly what you're dealing with and what you're supporting.

Introduction: I Am The Fourth Matrix

There is a th
Sabrina
I removed my review (and all the comments).

I was tired sick of people writing me lengthy comments about how I read too much realistic fiction (really?), how I can't appreciate something fun and not overly brainy (do tell!) and, in general, all the ways I'm so obtuse for failing to appreciate this crap book.

Sorry trolls people, but my opinions are my own and I still think this book was lame, badly written, unoriginal and an overall neurons-killer.
~Tina~
Nov 08, 2010 ~Tina~ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(4.5stars)

The planet Lorien had been destroyed, leaving only nine young Garde and there guardians/keepers a chance to escape, survive, in hopes that they can fight again and save there race, flee to Earth.
They secretly weave among us as they slowly learn how to develop there powers, there Legacies. The Mogadorians, the ones responsible for destroying there home hunts them by order of there numbers.
It started out as a group of nine. Three killed. Six left. They wont stop till all are destroyed.
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
You must turn off your brain and ask no questions when reading this book. It’s a requirement to enjoy it. I failed miserably. It may be readable but I Am Number Four is predictable and clichéd with inaccurate and vague descriptions and explanations.

For the most part I Am Number Four is an easy read although the language at times struck me as amateurish and clunky. Perhaps I expected too much after all this is YA but Lorien, it’s inhabitants and culture were too simple or too similar to that of
Kristy
Okay, class. here is your quiz!

Did I enjoy this book??? Yes

Was it fast-paced? Yes
Did it include enough action? Yes
Was there a love story? Yes
Did I have strong emotions in certain scenes? Yes
Do I want to read the next book? YES!!!
Will I watch the Movie? YES!!!
Were the character's likeable? Yes
Were the well developed? Yes
Did I enjoy the unvieling of the Legacies? Yes
Did I love Henri? Yes
Was I completely in the dark and suprised by the ending? Yes
Did I like the appearance of #6 at the end? Yes
Did i
P
Nov 30, 2016 P rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
“It's the little mistakes that lead to big mistakes.”

I Am Number Four was unexpectedly fun. John Smith or Number four is my favorite character. I really loved his wits and the pace of this book, it's insanely fast that I didn't dare to breath when something happened. Pittacus slowly built up tensions through the book, and he abruptly released them at the right time, it worked so well for me I gave 5 stars without hesitation.

“That’s the worst way to miss somebody. When they’re right beside yo
Natalie Monroe
I haven't been this infuriated by a book since Fifty Shades of Grey. I am Number Four is hand-down one of the worst books I have ever read, and that's saying something because I've read Gone, which reads like 12-year-old fanfiction, and the overly purple prose of Fallen and Shiver. This book has it all: bad writing, flimsy characters, what-the-fuck-is-happening-here plot and one cliche after another.

Let's start off with the writing:

You know there's something wrong with a book when you have to
Anja
Jun 16, 2016 Anja rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
*3.75 LORIEN STARS*

"When you have lost hope, you have lost everything. And when you think all is lost, when all is dire and bleak, there is always hope."

This was my first time reading this book and it was a pretty okay read. I wasn't blown away but it wasn't bad either. I watched the movie adaption about 4 years ago when it first came out but I didn't remember a lot of it so the story was still quite "new" to me.

One thing that immediately annoyed me was John's name. I mean, John Smith? Serious
Amanda
Jan 07, 2014 Amanda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crap, young-adult, blog
You know the most suspenseful, well-written part of I am Number Four? The cover: "Three are dead. I am number four." Pretty kick ass, huh? I certainly thought so, which is why I read it. Now I wish I had just left it on the shelf and let the power of those two lines remain my only association with the novel.

I'm about to point out several flaws to which many people will say, "Yeah, but it's young adult fiction." To them I say that just because a novel is labeled as "young adult" doesn't excuse s
Aj the Ravenous Reader
This book is an entertaining and easy read. It reminds you of Superman plus X-men which means this book contains a really cool story with really cool characters. The story begins so intensely, it grabbed my focus immediately. Its movie adaptation is good enough, though not as good as the book. I wonder when the movie sequels will come.
Michelle. D.
Jan 02, 2014 Michelle. D. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loved
OK, I loved this book. LOVED IT.
The characters were great, the plot was great, the events were great, the setting was great, EVERYTHING WAS GREAT!
The whole concept of the book was amazing!

But I got this weird vibe coming from deep within me after I finished reading the book. And it really annoyed me and angered me.
Here I am, just finished reading this amazing book, and i have this weird vibe just radiating from me.
It took me a few days to figure out what it was, so I will explain to you what the
Sandy
You know the characterization sucks when the best character in the book is the dog....
Sh3lly ✨ Bring on the Weird ✨
$1.99 on 23 June 2016

Wow, crazy mixed reviews for this one. I mean, cray cray mixed. For $1.99, I just might be crazy enough to find out for myself... I mean, aliens, right? Aliens are awesome.
Annalisa
Years ago I was watching The X-Files movie and during the climax scene Mulder and Scully need to get out of some remote, creepy warehouse before the building is destroyed (probably by aliens; it was always aliens that messed up Mulder's plans, and the show. Once upon a time X-Files was one of my favorite shows until they fell on the alien crutch every singe episode and gave up on coming up with with cool sci-fi explanations for the unexplained. Aliens ruin another good story, sigh. But I ...more
Evangelin
May 19, 2016 Evangelin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"I Am Number Four" is an interesting novel packed with action,YA and romance.I was addicted to this book because of the concept of this book.I will explain to you in short about the story line.

Ever wondered that maybe all of them who are in this world aren't normal people?What if they have special powers??Even your best friend could be one of them.No one knows!!

Nine people(along with their guardians)are on a run.They come from a far away planet called Lorian which is ten times smaller than Ear
Eric Allen
I Am Number Four
Book 1 of the Lorien Legacies
By Pittacus Lore

A Review by Eric Allen

Once upon a time, Michael Bay made a horrible movie. Okay, he's made quite a few horrible movies, but I Am Number Four stands out amongst them as having the absolute worst acting I have EVER seen put to film in my life, and keep in mind I've been through college film-making courses where I had to watch quite a few awful student films. It is REALLY saying something when this large budgeted flop of a movie takes the
A few years ago I heard about a movie called District 9. The majority of people I spoke to seemed to love it. One day my dad brought a copy home from the DVD store, and against my better instinct decided to watch it. I firmly believed that-being about aliens, spaceships and full of action-I would hate it. I thought it would be a 'geekish' movie, but none the less decided to give in to my dads pestering and watch it.
112 minutes later, the movie had ended and I walked from the room with a giant s
Cat
Mar 26, 2011 Cat rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what "I Am Number Four" is doing here on a website dedicated to reviewing books, because whatever this thing is (a travesty? a sham?), it's not a book. It's a disgrace to real books, which isn't quite the same thing.

That's how awful this piece of writing is. It's so awful I can't bring myself to call it a book, even though it's masquerading as one for tax purposes. Heed my warning, gentle reader: do not read this thing. I don't know you, but I know you're better than this. I have fa
Sara
Nov 14, 2014 Sara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Instead of writing a whole essay about the flaws in this book and my issues toward Pittacus Lore for writing such a disgraceful book as I had originally planned, I decided to write only one pro and one con. Hopefully, once you read the pro and the con, you can decide for yourself whether or not I Am Number Four is worthy of your time.

Pro: The plot and ideas expressed in this book are extremely clever and witty. An alien planet called Lorien was destroyed and in order to survive, nine Lorien ch
Adi (Reading in the Windowseat)
Loved it – can’t wait for the sequel.

Ok, so I have to admit - I saw the trailer for the movie adaptation of this book when I went to watch Harry Potter 7 Part 1. Aaaaand it caught me, especially the teenage-superhero-awesome-powers and murder-with-more-to-come factors. But also because Four is played by this guy.

description

Yep, it’s Alex Pettyfer.

But onto the book.

If you like the first several Harry Potter’s, then you’d be able to appreciate this one, even if you’re too old to be part of the young-adult ag
Clare Cannon
Feb 04, 2011 Clare Cannon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 13-15yrs
The trailer looks exciting - if you're into that sort of thing. So is the book it's based on any good?

It really depends what you mean by ‘good'. It's readable, and the New York Times bestseller list shows it has a wide following (particularly among teen boys... and girls who like Alex Pettyfer).

The basic storyline: nine young people came to earth from the planet Lorien to escape the evil aliens who attacked their planet. The Lorienites are super humans who look like us but have special powers.
Mizuki
I don't plan to read that book. But right now I'm watching the movie...

Here's a few things I noticed...

(1) The male lead is one of the most unattractive male leads I have ever seen in any YA movie.

(2) Of course we get a "new student in a new school" setting.

(3) Of course there's a pretty, sweet blond girl, a handful of bullies and a bullied geek in this new high school. TOTALLY ORIGINAL.

Plus, since the main character is a boy instead of a girl, so we got a Pretty Blond Girl instead of a Prince
Birchsilver
I don't actually know what I think of this book.

+ It was brilliant.
- It was awful.

+ Fantastic until about page 300.
- Awful from 301 onwards.

+ No love triangle.
- Unrealistic relationship.

+ Unusual plot.
- Yet confusing and boring at the second half of the book.

+ Cool powers
- Too "special snowflake" cliché

+ Awesome villains (trench coats and shades, ladies?)
- Boring action scenes

+ Sweet romance (even though it was unrealistic).
- Ridiculous "bully."

+ Pretty quick to read
- I found myself skipping s
  • Brain Jack
  • Variant (Variant, #1)
  • Watch the Skies (Daniel X, #2)
  • Beastly (Beastly, #1, Kendra Chronicles, #1)
  • Seizure (Virals, #2)
  • Vortex (Tempest, #2)
  • Dualed (Dualed, #1)
  • Hallowed (Unearthly, #2)
  • First Kill (The Slayer Chronicles, #1)
  • Day of the Predator (TimeRiders, #2)
  • Lies (Gone, #3)
  • Gregor and the Marks of Secret (Underland Chronicles, #4)
  • Tiger's Quest (The Tiger Saga, #2)
  • Adversary (Ganzfield, #2)
  • UnWholly (Unwind, #2)
  • The Lost Saint (The Dark Divine, #2)
  • Rot & Ruin (Rot & Ruin, #1)
  • Hunger (Riders of the Apocalypse, #1)
Pittacus Lore is the collection pseudonym of James Frey and Jobie Hughes.
More about Pittacus Lore...

Lorien Legacies (7 books)
  • The Power of Six (Lorien Legacies, #2)
  • The Rise of Nine (Lorien Legacies, #3)
  • The Fall of Five (Lorien Legacies, #4)
  • The Revenge of Seven (Lorien Legacies, #5)
  • The Fate of Ten (Lorien Legacies, #6)
  • United as One (Lorien Legacies, #7)

“When you have lost hope, you have lost everything. And when you think all is lost, when all is dire and bleak, there is always hope.” 2634 likes
“It's the little mistakes that lead to big mistakes.” 874 likes