Blaze of Glory (Blaze of Glory, #1)

Blaze of Glory (Blaze of Glory #1)

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  20 reviews

Saving the world is easy for a superheroâ��unless you’re a fraud.
Â
Jo Tanis is a superhero, fighting evil on the city streets, using her ability to feed off electromagnetic energy and fire off chargesâ��and it’s all just a show. The Agency captures her and others like her when their powers begin to manifest, pitting them against each other in staged, gladiatorial fights. A
Published February 1st 2011 by Samhain Publishing (first published March 4th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Blaze of Glory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blaze of Glory

Toni (U.A.C.)
Imagine you find out you have a special power and you are collected by the government. Your personality is profiled. You're trained, tagged, and assigned a controller to assure compliance.

All of the superheroes and supervillans on earth are being controlled by an organization called the Agency and their lives are literally in the Agency's hands. The battle between good and evil are all scripted, determined ahead of time, until one day aliens from another planet show up with a challenge of battl...more
Robyn
I had to 5 star this one, because there wasn't a single thing in it that I didn't like. It had me hooked from beginning to end--I even got teary eyed for a moment near the end. It's a superhero story (I hesitate to say romance, but there is a good romantic storyline) and it reminded me of all the things I enjoyed about playing the City of Heroes/City of Villains mmorpg, with none of the things I didn't enjoy about it. I loved the heroine. I loved her team. I loved the bookstore. Really this book...more
David
This superhero novel starts with a good premise: supers are real, but unbeknownst to the public, the heavily televised battles between "superheroes" and "supervillains" are as fake as WWF wrestling. All the supers are actors (though their powers are real), and unwilling ones, as a sinister government agency known simply as "The Agency" has captured each and every one, put a bomb in their heads, and makes them play their public roles or else.

Then an alien invasion fleet arrives. The aliens are su...more
Alexa
This book is good clean fun. It doesn't bother itself with explaining too much - you're in a world with humanoid DBZ-esque aliens and people with super powers, the rules and technicalities of which are rarely explained. You just gotta go with it. It wasn't anything deep, complex or even that original, but I was never bored. I also liked Jo Tanis quite a bit. She's not some perky teenager, she's experienced and capable and people follow her because of that, not because she has some indeterminable...more
Jessica Strider
Pros: very interesting premise, fun characters, partly set in Toronto

Cons: characters learn things remarkably fast (eg: new aspects of their powers), don't study the NYC attack to learn about the aliens, just try same techniques

When Jo Tanis, aka Surf, and her sidekick Metal Mike, are called by the Agency to help fight aliens over New York City they know something is wrong. First, they weren't scheduled for a fight today and second, A-List supers are dying. This isn't a staged fight but Jo head...more
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
This was pretty good. The concept is ordinary people who experience some cataclysmic event and wake up some some type of superpower. They are then kidnapped and enslaved by "The Agency." The Agency stages fake fights between the "heroes" and "villains."
I really liked Jo. She's strong, capable. The flashbacks with Mike provided good background. Not much by way of romance in this book (hints), but the groundwork is there for in the future. I liked the cast of characters and look forward to more.
Eric
Superheroes and supervillains battle each other on reality TV programs (probably on the E! Channel). It's fun and it's good for ratings. But when an alien spacecraft is spotted hovering over Manhattan, it's time to turn off the TV and get serious.

Full review here: http://superheronovels.com/2011/02/06...

Nerine Dorman
If you love rollicking kick-arse tea-drinking superheroes who not only partake in a battle of powers but wits, this one will press all the right buttons. Well done, Sheryl, you've delivered another highly engaging, entertaining read.
Squee
I needed an easy, fun read and found this in my Kindle from ages ago, so I decided to give it a re-read and found I liked it more than I remembered.

Blaze of Glory follows Jo, aka "Surf", a second-string "superhero". The superheroes of this world are indeed super-powered... but their battles are all staged by the Agency, which controls the supers with explosive implants in their necks that they will detonate if the supers don't do what they are told. It's all a big entertainment scam.

Unfortunate...more
Wyrdness
Hmm, tricky... I think I give this a tentative 3.5 stars. I enjoyed it a lot but I think the pace flagged in places and could have been tighter than it was.

My appreciation of a novel can be made or broken on the strength of the characters and I'm happy to say that I liked the variety of personalities here. The focus is very much on Jo Tanis and that meant the secondary characters didn't all get a chance to shine with everything going on, but they showed definite promise that they could grow in...more
Tyla Sprouse
The writing flowed nicely and the characters weren't too bad, but the plot was a little disappointing. I wished for more overall story-wise. It never seemed to dare to get too involved with any of the plot points, just lightly skimming over everything. I think there was more eating sandwiches than action scenes. Not good for a super hero type story.
Nicole Luiken
Interesting premise: superheroes and villains fight rigged battles until some aliens come to Earth and they need to save the world for real. Likeable main character and a fast-moving plot. The flashbacks revealing Jo and Mike's relationship were especially well-done.
Quibble: I would've liked to have seen more of the aliens' culture.
Cathy Haslam
This book was free on my nook. I got it for some light reading not expecting too much from it. I really enjoyed it and was excited to see that there are 2 more books after it. Great "superhero" story. The plot is light and a bit expected but the characters were enjoyable.
Edie
I quite enjoyed this, the pacing seemed a little slow at some points, though that could have been my mood when reading. But I loved the concept of the superhero reality TV and loved what Nantus did with it. I am so eager to read the next one.
Raymond Espiritu
A great, quick read and a not so typical superhero origin story. Perfect when all you want is some good old fashioned action/adventure.
Sio
Fun read with engaging characters and a not too far out there plot considering "reality" TV these days!
Barbara
I enjoyed this story of super heroes who played heroes until they had to really become them.
Andrew
This was good, fun, light reading. I felt emotions and enjoyed the ride.
Summer Peterson
I don't read books when the story starts dropping the F bomb first chapter.
Iori
It's a good read, but too shoooooort T_T
Shatkratu
Shatkratu marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
W. Gregory Kett
W. Gregory Kett marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Nmb
Nmb marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Lexi
Lexi marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Robin Hudson
Robin Hudson marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Vallan.Mandrake
Vallan.Mandrake marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Bryan
Bryan marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Flor
Flor marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
  • Phenomenal Girl 5 (Elite Hands of Justice, #1)
  • Broken (Extrahumans, #1)
  • Thief (Fringe, #1)
  • Night's Captive (Dark Enforcers #1)
  • Lionheart (StarQuest, #1)
  • Black and White (The Icarus Project, #1)
  • A Once Crowded Sky
  • Those Who Walk in Darkness (Soledad O'Roark, #1)
  • Spencer (Grant Brothers, #3)
  • Rebels and Lovers (Dock Five Universe, #4)
  • The Key
  • Seducer (Sensual Captivity, #1)
  • Only Superhuman
  • Caught in Amber
  • Who Can Save Us Now?: Brand-New Superheroes and Their Amazing (Short) Stories
  • Roped
  • Tsunami Blue (Tsunami Blue, #1)
  • Handsome Bastard (Ancient Blood, #1)
Sheryl Nantus was born in Montreal, Canada and grew up in Toronto, Canada.
A rabid reader almost from birth, she attended Sheridan College in Oakville,
graduating in 1984 in Media Arts Writing.
During her fifteen years of working in private security she was stationed at the United States Consulate in Toronto; various Consuls' residences as well as many hospitals in the Greater Toronto Area. She recei...more
More about Sheryl Nantus...
Blood of the Pride (Blood of the Pride, #1) Claws Bared (Blood of the Pride, #2) Wild Cards and Iron Horses Family Pride (Blood of the Pride, #3) In the Black (Tales from the Edge, #1)