Start by marking “Blaze of Glory (Blaze of Glory, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blaze of Glory (Blaze of Glory, #1)

Blaze of Glory (Blaze of Glory #1)

Saving the world is easy for a superhero—unless you're a fraud.

Jo Tanis is a superhero, fighting evil on the city streets, using her ability to feed off electromagnetic energy and fire off charges—and it's all just a show. The Agency captures her and others like her when their powers begin to manifest, pitting them against each other in staged, gladiatorial fights. An expl
Published February 1st 2011 by Samhain Publishing (first published March 4th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Blaze of Glory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blaze of Glory

Robyn
Jul 12, 2010 Robyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I had to 5 star this one, because there wasn't a single thing in it that I didn't like. It had me hooked from beginning to end--I even got teary eyed for a moment near the end. It's a superhero story (I hesitate to say romance, but there is a good romantic storyline) and it reminded me of all the things I enjoyed about playing the City of Heroes/City of Villains mmorpg, with none of the things I didn't enjoy about it. I loved the heroine. I loved her team. I loved the bookstore. Really this book ...more
Toni (U.A.C.)
Imagine you find out you have a special power and you are collected by the government. Your personality is profiled. You're trained, tagged, and assigned a controller to assure compliance.

All of the superheroes and supervillans on earth are being controlled by an organization called the Agency and their lives are literally in the Agency's hands. The battle between good and evil are all scripted, determined ahead of time, until one day aliens from another planet show up with a challenge of battl
Jessica Strider
Nov 22, 2012 Jessica Strider rated it really liked it
Pros: very interesting premise, fun characters, partly set in Toronto

Cons: characters learn things remarkably fast (eg: new aspects of their powers), don't study the NYC attack to learn about the aliens, just try same techniques

When Jo Tanis, aka Surf, and her sidekick Metal Mike, are called by the Agency to help fight aliens over New York City they know something is wrong. First, they weren't scheduled for a fight today and second, A-List supers are dying. This isn't a staged fight but Jo head
David
Nov 06, 2011 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: superheroes, Canadians
This superhero novel starts with a good premise: supers are real, but unbeknownst to the public, the heavily televised battles between "superheroes" and "supervillains" are as fake as WWF wrestling. All the supers are actors (though their powers are real), and unwilling ones, as a sinister government agency known simply as "The Agency" has captured each and every one, put a bomb in their heads, and makes them play their public roles or else.

Then an alien invasion fleet arrives. The aliens are su
Alexa
This book is good clean fun. It doesn't bother itself with explaining too much - you're in a world with humanoid DBZ-esque aliens and people with super powers, the rules and technicalities of which are rarely explained. You just gotta go with it. It wasn't anything deep, complex or even that original, but I was never bored. I also liked Jo Tanis quite a bit. She's not some perky teenager, she's experienced and capable and people follow her because of that, not because she has some indeterminable ...more
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
Sep 02, 2012 Rachel- Goodbye Borders rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
This was pretty good. The concept is ordinary people who experience some cataclysmic event and wake up some some type of superpower. They are then kidnapped and enslaved by "The Agency." The Agency stages fake fights between the "heroes" and "villains."
I really liked Jo. She's strong, capable. The flashbacks with Mike provided good background. Not much by way of romance in this book (hints), but the groundwork is there for in the future. I liked the cast of characters and look forward to more.
Eric
Superheroes and supervillains battle each other on reality TV programs (probably on the E! Channel). It's fun and it's good for ratings. But when an alien spacecraft is spotted hovering over Manhattan, it's time to turn off the TV and get serious.

Full review here: http://superheronovels.com/2011/02/06...

Nerine Dorman
Sep 07, 2010 Nerine Dorman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you love rollicking kick-arse tea-drinking superheroes who not only partake in a battle of powers but wits, this one will press all the right buttons. Well done, Sheryl, you've delivered another highly engaging, entertaining read.
Wyrdness
Aug 10, 2013 Wyrdness rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: superheroes
Hmm, tricky... I think I give this a tentative 3.5 stars. I enjoyed it a lot but I think the pace flagged in places and could have been tighter than it was.

My appreciation of a novel can be made or broken on the strength of the characters and I'm happy to say that I liked the variety of personalities here. The focus is very much on Jo Tanis and that meant the secondary characters didn't all get a chance to shine with everything going on, but they showed definite promise that they could grow in
Squee
Feb 06, 2013 Squee rated it really liked it
I needed an easy, fun read and found this in my Kindle from ages ago, so I decided to give it a re-read and found I liked it more than I remembered.

Blaze of Glory follows Jo, aka "Surf", a second-string "superhero". The superheroes of this world are indeed super-powered... but their battles are all staged by the Agency, which controls the supers with explosive implants in their necks that they will detonate if the supers don't do what they are told. It's all a big entertainment scam.

Unfortunate
Sally Wolf
Jun 08, 2015 Sally Wolf rated it really liked it
Jo is a super her power is gathering energy from objects and transforming it into electricity which she can shoot from her hands or user to fly. She and others like her waged mock battles as eye-candy for the media. The battles were all for entertainment purposes until one day a race of aliens came to earth and the fight suddenly became real. Jo became the self-appointed leader in an unplanned war to become real heroes and save the world. This book started out slow but picked up the pace quickly ...more
Tyla Sprouse
Jan 18, 2013 Tyla Sprouse rated it it was ok
The writing flowed nicely and the characters weren't too bad, but the plot was a little disappointing. I wished for more overall story-wise. It never seemed to dare to get too involved with any of the plot points, just lightly skimming over everything. I think there was more eating sandwiches than action scenes. Not good for a super hero type story.
Dahrose
Sep 25, 2014 Dahrose rated it really liked it
Fast paced urban fantasy tale. Our world, with 'super' heroes added.
Enjoyed the tale, lots of action, and good closure on this story but also manages to open up a wider world to explore for rest of series. Very light on the romance, which also promises bigger things to come in rest of series.
Had me rooting for the good guys (and some of the bad guys)
Nicole Luiken
Sep 21, 2012 Nicole Luiken rated it really liked it
Shelves: sfantasy, ebook
Interesting premise: superheroes and villains fight rigged battles until some aliens come to Earth and they need to save the world for real. Likeable main character and a fast-moving plot. The flashbacks revealing Jo and Mike's relationship were especially well-done.
Quibble: I would've liked to have seen more of the aliens' culture.
Edie
May 22, 2011 Edie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I quite enjoyed this, the pacing seemed a little slow at some points, though that could have been my mood when reading. But I loved the concept of the superhero reality TV and loved what Nantus did with it. I am so eager to read the next one.
Cathy Haslam
Sep 07, 2012 Cathy Haslam rated it really liked it
This book was free on my nook. I got it for some light reading not expecting too much from it. I really enjoyed it and was excited to see that there are 2 more books after it. Great "superhero" story. The plot is light and a bit expected but the characters were enjoyable.
Barbara
Sep 16, 2012 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story of super heroes who played heroes until they had to really become them.
Summer Peterson
Dec 22, 2012 Summer Peterson rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I don't read books when the story starts dropping the F bomb first chapter.
Iori
Sep 08, 2013 Iori rated it liked it
It's a good read, but too shoooooort T_T
Andrew
Sep 07, 2012 Andrew rated it it was amazing
This was good, fun, light reading. I felt emotions and enjoyed the ride.
Sio
Aug 13, 2012 Sio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read with engaging characters and a not too far out there plot considering "reality" TV these days!
Raymond Espiritu
Oct 22, 2012 Raymond Espiritu rated it really liked it
A great, quick read and a not so typical superhero origin story. Perfect when all you want is some good old fashioned action/adventure.
Patti
Patti rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Jared
Jared rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2013
Yvonne
Yvonne rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2011
Cymas
Cymas rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2010
Thor Aegir
Thor Aegir rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Marta
Marta rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Jen Sylvia
Jen Sylvia rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2013
FlyingWaffle
FlyingWaffle rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • True Hero?
  • Phenomenal Girl 5 (Elite Hands of Justice, #1)
  • Even Villains Fall In Love (Heroes and Villains, #1)
  • Lionheart (StarQuest, #1)
  • Night's Captive (Dark Enforcers #1)
  • Seducer (Sensual Captivity, #1)
  • The Price of Pleasure (Saurellian Federation, #1)
  • Shades of Gray (The Icarus Project, #2)
  • Blue Galaxy (Blue Universe # 1)
  • Girl Gone Nova (Project Enterprise, #2)
  • Only Superhuman
  • Marrow
  • The Last Days of a Rake
  • Lone Star Trouble
  • Butterfly Scales
  • Superheroes Anonymous (Superheroes Anonymous #1)
  • Lovers and Strangers (Hollywood Nights, #1)
  • Kate Undone (Voiders, #2)
Sheryl Nantus is an award-winning romance writer published by Entangled, St. Martin's, Samhain, and Harlequin's Carina Press.

When she's not writing about hunky heroes, she is sipping tea, playing board games and writing haiku.

A total fangirl at heart, she met her husband through an online fanfiction community and currently lives in Pennsylvania.

More about Sheryl Nantus...

Blaze of Glory (3 books)
  • Heroes Without, Monsters Within (Blaze of Glory, #2)
  • Heroes Lost and Found (Blaze of Glory, #3)