Jennifer Murdley's Toad (Magic Shop, #3)

Jennifer Murdley's Toad (Magic Shop #3)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  1,483 ratings  ·  83 reviews
Jennifer Murdley had no idea what she was getting into the day she bought the big toad from the strange man who ran Elives' Magic Shop. The thing didn't even start talking to her until she had it out of the shop. And once the toad did start to talk, it still kept a lot of secrets. So Jennifer didn't find out about his strange birth... or the treasure hidden in his forehead...more
Published June 1st 1993 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published April 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Jennifer Murdley's Toad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jennifer Murdley's Toad

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteCulloo by Murielle CyrAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Best Chapter Books for Young Girls
51st out of 229 books — 138 voters
The Magic of Finkleton by K.C. HiltonCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteNate Rocks the World by Karen Pokras TozCulloo by Murielle CyrThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Books for nine-year-olds
80th out of 365 books — 227 voters

More lists with this book...

Qt
I liked this Magic Shop Book as much as I liked "Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher." The characters and plot are completely different (save for one or two minor recurring characters), but the humor and heart is the same. ("Jeremy" is perhaps a bit more "magical," in my opinion, while "Jennifer" has more of a modern fairy-tale feel.)
The backstory of the title toad is quite interesting, especially to fans of fairy tales, and the theme of self-image and outside appearances is also touching and well...more
Myles
Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher might be the crowd favorite, but Jennifer Murdley's Toad is truly deserving, a perfect modern fairy tale.

Jennifer, a girl in a "plain brown wrapper", is insecure about herself because of her looks and is often teased at school. Like in his better books, Coville takes time to develop Jennifer before magic happens to her. She's a thoughtful, kind girl and is mortified when, at the beginning of the book, must go to school wearing her brother's underwear. She confides...more
This is a great series for my students! I read aloud The Monster's Ring to them and they loved it so much that I decided to also read aloud this one. Without even prompting them, they are busy comparing and contrasting Jennifer Murdley's Toad to A Monster's Ring. Once we are finished, I think I'm going to have them create their own version of a Magic Shop Book. I'm hoping that a number of them will read more Magic Shop books over the summer independently or with their parents.
Michael
I was an assistant on this book. It is one of Bruce's best novels, a book as funny as it is harrowing and heartbreaking. For some, Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher is their favorite Magic Shop Book, but for me it is tied between Jennifer Murdley's Toad and The Skull of Truth, serious books that are seriously hilarious.
Jennie
A poignant read, especially for today’s girls who are bombarded by the media with impossible standards of beauty. Although Jennifer is sincere, intelligent and loyal she suffers from a poor self image. Children will enjoy the fantasy elements of the story as a “magic shop” book and hopefully take the message to heart.
Zinger
Apr 06, 2010 Zinger rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
This is an ok book for a beginning reader who is stuck somewhere without anything else to read. But if you have something else to read or do, I would recommend doing that.
Janeen-san
This book is about a girl named Jennifer, who thinks everyone thinks they are more beautiful than her. It was true, Jennifer wasn't exactly a fashion model.

She purchases a fat, ugly toad from the mysterious Mr. Elvis's Magic Shop...had gets the adventure of a lifetime when the toad starts talking to her, warning her of a deadly Beauty Parlor, a magical gem, and a witch who wants to kill her! Jennifer embarks on a quest to keep the toad safe from the evil witch; but then he craftily gets stolen b...more
Abigail
Good:
The plot was original and the toad was awesome! He was quite funny. The teenage girl in me loved the fact that the frog had a love and that he finally got to be with her at the end. It was also nice that they connected the owner of the museum with the whole story and that she was pretty there even before she was introduced. I liked how the characters had some growth especially Sharra and how the author kept the story open to new adventures. The story had just the right amount of magic, not...more
Saundra
Coville’s voice is authentic and funny. His tone is direct, and his writing style is accessible to young readers. There were many large words that surprised me, and made me happy to see in young adult literature, including “osculatory,” “bufine,” and “vermin.” Even with some large words mixed in (which I felt provoked thought and imagination) the tone of the book was direct and easy to understand. The dialogue was written in a modern style that you could hear at any school. The setting was a nei...more
Kim Zarins
I love the whole Magic Shop series--they are perfect for the child who is not ready to read or listen to a long novel, and the humor and lightness is spot on and a good introduction to the fantasy genre (this is not fantasy that takes itself too seriously--no Frodo or Harry Potter showdown against lords of darkness). And because of that lack of stakes to save the world against fiends, the age-appropriate struggles of the kids take center stage. In JEREMY, a boy struggles with being small and cut...more
Malbadeen
Jul 19, 2007 Malbadeen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people that have stupidly not gotten around to Coville yet.
This book starts with a great first line (and I'm not just saying that because I've had to wear my brothers underwear before) and every chapter is a great anticipatory set for the next - the stuff of great Read Alouds. I was surprised by how quickly Coville moved from the amusing first line, to some heavy truths, and back to the grabber chapter ending. My kids and I were fortunate enough to have a librarian in the car with us for 6 + hours and everytime she stopped reading my son demanded that s...more
Elisebeth
I first read this book when I was 7 years old. At the time, I had a thing for frogs and toads, and read endless books on the subject when I wasn't out in ditches or ponds catching them. My older sister wanted me to enjoy reading, so she gave me this book as a gift.

I hadn't read any of the other books in the series, nor any other fantasy books for that matter, but due to the stand alone nature of the book it didn't effect my reading at all.

From the moment I turned that first page, this book irre...more
Natalie
Oct. 2009 Review:
I was hoping this would be good for Samma but I think that the cattiness of the girls at the beginning might be more than I want to expose her to. Oddly enough, I don't think I've ever read this Bruce Coville book. I found it in the used books section of Fat Cat Books. Maybe Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher is less catty since it's about a boy. I think Sam would really love most of it, just not the mean girls aspect.

June 2011 Review:
I'm not thrilled with all of the cattiness and...more
Marika Gillis
Jennifer Murdley is not a pretty girl, but she is smart and likeable. In this children's chapter book, Jennifer stumbles upon a traveling magic shop and leaves with her very own talking toad! This toad winds up getting Jennifer, and her friends, into one uncomfortable pickle after another.

Jennifer Murdley's Toad, with its elements of the supernatural and its whimsical feel, is a terrifically fun book! Coville has a knack for ending chapters with an interest-grabbing hook that makes the reader so...more
Amelia
I am starting to read with Mikaela her battle of the books list. This was the first one we read together. I really liked it a lot. I loved the message of the story... what matters is what's on the inside, not what's on the outside. Great message for girl's this age (going into 5th grade). And totally entertaining to read as well.
Resti  Triyuliandha
"If we are to get along, you had better understand that I am not a pet. I am, for the moment, a guest. Possibly a friend. Certainly a responsibility, since you removed me from the shop. But I am most certainly not, never have been, and have no intention of ever becomeing"-- at this poin he shivered, as if the words left a bad taste in his mouth--"a pet!"

Dylan
A formulaic little book. You can tell that Coville is a real pro. The book has a slick, churned-out feel to it: here's the protagonist, here's the problem, here's the rising climax, and whammo-bango, here's the action-packed ending. I don't sense that much passion or care went into the book.

On another note, the talking toad annoyingly speaks in different voices. Worse, he uses the voices of "John Wayne" or "Bogart," among others: references utterly lost on my 7 year old.

The late and half-worke...more
Tiffiny
My 10-yr-son gives this one 3 stars. He says, "It wasn't very action-y but Bufo is very funny."
I give it 2.5. At the beginning, a lot of the story was about Jennifer envying her friends' beauty and thinking her beautiful mother was ashamed to have such her plain, overweight daughter, about Jennifer avoiding mirrors because she couldn't stand the sight of herself. It was really sad, especially from a mom's point of view, and I was looking forward to how Coville might resolve it. The story clearly...more
M
Fun kids book. Think I will read rest of series!
Erin
Battle of the Books
Awesome little book! This is an example of a book with a hook as the opening line, ""If Jennifer Murdley hadn't been forced to wear her brother's underpants to school, the whole thing might never have happened."
I enjoyed the fairy-tale theme - especially the story of how the toad came to be. I also appreciated the author's take on beauty. He did a great job illustrating that it is not the most important thing in the world, and it was a meaningful message for readers young and...more
Kristin
I enjoyed this book more than its predecessor, "Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher" because it focuses on a value I want to emphasize in my little girls as they grow up...good self-esteem. Jennifer is obsessed with her unattractive physical qualities and struggles to adapt in her world. The magical experience with the toad, Bufo, helps her find other qualities that are more lasting than beauty. If only every little girl to learn this lesson too.
Whittney Mahle
This was the first Magic Shop Book I read- they have no particular order that I'm aware of. Bruce Coville likes to use bits of classical mythology and folklore to spice up his stories which he does with success in my opinion.

Other Magic Shop Books in order of how much I like them:
Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher
Jennifer Murdley's Toad
The Skull of Truth
Juliet Dove, Queen of Love
The Monster's Ring- Have not read yet
Jordan
Well... it's certainly amusing. I was actually surprised that it wasn't all cheap awful 'kid' stuff; I actually had fun seeing what happened, and it had just enough plot for me to imagine more depth to it than there actually was.

It should be noted, however, that I read it years ago, and just figured out what it was again, so I may have a different opinion were I to reread it.
Janice
Not as good as "Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher". Maybe it's because I'm not really into magic stories and can't wrap my head around that kind of fantasy. The first was a good story and exciting, but this was kind of dull in comparison! The colors and fantasy of the dragon moving around the room through Jeremy's eyes was cool, but this frog just went thump and was, well, dull!
Katherine
I absolutely did not want to read this book. I had to for a 6th grade reading project and I actually throw a fit about reading this book. I thought it looked to childish and stupid to be quiet honest. I was WRONG!!!This book was unbelievably HILARIOUS!!! and I was glad that I stuck with this book and it turned out that I ended up reading it twice.
Kami
Another one we listened to in the car. It's about learning to love yourself for who you are. I liked that it didn't make everything perfect at the end. So often, the girl gets to be beautiful (or rich or the queen) at the end. But in this book, she just learned that she has to live with not being the prettiest girl on the block. Which is real life.
Paula
This is a cute story about a girl who goes into a magic shop and buys a frog. As it turns out the frog is a talking frog! With a kiss, it can turn a person into a toad like himself, then that person has to kiss someone else to make the enchantment go away. There is an evil witch who is trying to get Jennifer's toad for her own personal reasons.
Libby
Jul 27, 2011 Libby added it
I really liked this book and it was weird in some parts but I enjoyed the toda that Jennifer bought named Bufo. I didn't like all the stuff that she had to put up with him such as when Jennifer's friend got turned into a toad and I can't tell you anymore about the book. You'll just have to read it to find out how the book ends.
Markelle
Simply something to pass the time. It didn't change my life or anything but, I know I will pick it up and read it again. I own it so I read it a lot when I was a kid. I just read it around a month ago so, its still okay for a book, I guess (most confusing review ever, huh?).
Lacey
Another fun Magic Shop book by Bruce Coville, however I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the others. That could possibly be because of how poorly Jennifer felt about herself throughout most of the book. We do find out where our rat friends Roxanne and Jerome come from!
  • Kokopelli's Flute
  • Dragon of the Lost Sea
  • Charlie's Raven
  • The Chameleon Wore Chartreuse: A Chet Gecko Mystery
  • The Fairy Rebel
  • Time of the Witch
  • The Castle in the Attic (The Castle in the Attic, #1)
  • Heartlight (The Adventures of Kate, #1)
  • Knights of the Kitchen Table (Time Warp Trio, #1)
  • In The Stone Circle
  • Me and My Little Brain (Great Brain #3)
  • Nighty-Nightmare (Bunnicula, #4)
  • The Time Witches
  • Night of the Twisters
  • Book of Magic (Diadem, Worlds of Magic, #3)
  • The Ghost in the Mirror (Lewis Barnavelt, #4)
  • What the Witch Left
Into the Land of the Unicorns (Unicorn Chronicles, #1) Song of the Wanderer (Unicorn Chronicles, #2) Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher (Magic Shop, #2) My Teacher is an Alien (My Teacher is an Alien, #1) William Shakespeare's: A Midsummer Night's Dream (Shakespeare Retellings, #2)