Start by marking “Grandma's Wartime Baking Book: World War II and the Way We Baked” as Want to Read:
Grandma's Wartime Baking Book: World War II and the Way We Baked

Grandma's Wartime Baking Book: World War II and the Way We Baked

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Anyone who loves great American desserts will delight in Grandma's Wartime Baking Book. The result of extensive research, interviews, and recipe testing, Joanne Lamb Hayes's follow-up to Grandma's Wartime Kitchen delivers beloved and still irresistible recipes for cakes, pies, cookies, cobblers, muffins, breads, and other baked treats created by women on the Home Front dur ...more
Published November 14th 2003 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Grandma's Wartime Baking Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grandma's Wartime Baking Book

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
I loved both of her Grandma's wartime cookbooks. This was the baking book. Back then butter and sugar were rationed so they found other ways to sweeten desserts (like using the syrup the fruit was packed in) but in today's world it would be considered a healthier dessert.
Clare
With a watchful eye, you'll find low sugar recipes here... but watch out for that standard replacement during the war years: white corn syrup. I marked several recipes to try.

I especially enjoyed the reprints of the war posters encouraging the homemakers to grown their own, to conserve, etc.
Terri
Good illustrations and pictures of wartime posters. Very good narrative for recipes and chapters that explained rationing and how recipes were developed to cope with the rationing.
Kate Knapp
This was a Christmas gift from my sweetheart, and it is a delightful and incredible read about baking during a very different time in history. There are some recipes I'm intrigued to try.
Melissa Schmidty -Schmidt
Nothing flashy, without recipe or period photos. But does have a lot of unusual recipes from the era...that meet rationing regulations! Haha
Rachel
I wish the recipes hadn't be updated. I would have prefered the original recipes with suggestions for updates.
Diane
I enjoyed reading and have tried some of the recipes. There are many simple recipes that kids can easily make.
Dana Heaton
Dana Heaton marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Kathely
Kathely marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2013
Teri
Teri marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2013
Autumn
Autumn marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2012
Trish
Trish marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2012
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2011
Patti McDermott
Patti McDermott marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2011
N
N marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2010
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2010
Grandma's Wartime Kitchen: World War II and the Way We Cooked Cookies! Good Housekeeping Favorite Recipes (Favorite Good Housekeeping Recipes) Weekend Kitchen, The:: Menus and Recipes for Relaxed Entertaining and Family Fun 365 Great Cookies and Brownies The Big Book of Preserving the Harvest: 150 Recipes for Freezing, Canning, Drying and Pickling Fruits and Vegetables