Start by marking “Sock Innovation” as Want to Read:
Sock Innovation

Sock Innovation

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  806 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
Cookie A., pioneer of the unconventional sock-think traveling stitches, mirrored pairs, twists on the heel, cables and lace-shares her secrets for making rule-breaking socks in "Sock Innovation". Even knitters who haven't been bitten by the sock bug will find fascinating technique information! "Sock Innovation" aims to increase the skills of the average sock knitter by exp ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published April 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Sock Innovation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sock Innovation

notgettingenough
An odd and somewhat distressing juxtaposition:

Thomas is a physicist at Cern who knits in public at lunchtime.
Anna is a physicist at Cern who envies Thomas but can't knit in public at lunchtime because she feels bad enough already that she is a girl without adding to her woes by typecasting herself even further.
Maybe Thomas can afford not to give a fuck and Anna can't.
Or maybe Anna is just being paranoid.

Women began denigrating knitting as part of the 'feminist' thing which involved rejecting eve
Allison
Jun 01, 2009 Allison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is absolutely brilliant. Cookie A knows her stuff, and I'm sure I learned more about sock knitting in one cursory reading of this book than I did in years of actually knitting. This book is probably not great for a beginning sock knitter (unless you are a particularly ambitious one), as most of her explanations and tutorials are a bit more advanced. She does cover the basics, but goes way beyond that fairly quickly. For anyone who wants to step up their sock knitting, or learn about de ...more
penny shima glanz
Jan 17, 2010 penny shima glanz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: craft-knitting
First, please note the errata for this book at Interweave's site.

Why did I put that first? I don't want you to try knitting through CookieA's awesome patterns and become frustrated and angry. This is a marvelous book of interesting and engaging stitch patterns. Some little mistakes are bound to creep in during the publishing process. It happens. Go check them out. Many you probably could figure out but it doesn't hurt to check.

I don't know why I'm late to this party. I have loved knitting her p
Anne
Oct 25, 2010 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who knits
Recommended to Anne by: Cookie at her website
I am so excited about this book. I had a copy on order at my LYS and the minute they called I was on their doorstep to pick it up. I do not understand her math and design theories, but I have lots to learn from her patterns and variations. I can hardly wait to get my current pairs OTN, so I can start one of hers.
And I get to meet her in August at the sock summit and have her autograph my copy.
I truly enjoy her work and taking the time to put it all down. She's the best.
Kyle
Apr 24, 2011 Kyle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knitting
Excellent patterns, but not for the faint of heart, or those scared of geometry.
Nelly
Jan 16, 2010 Nelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knitting
This is a fantastic book about sock knitting and designing sock patterns. I expected a book with beautiful patterns that might use some unusual techniques, but that was it. What I've got with this book was so much better than what I expected. This book not only contains 15 great sock patterns, it also covers how to work a sock in great detail (cuff options [ribbed cuff, hemmed or picot cuff, patterned cuff:], heel options [flap heel and turn variations, stockinette short row heel, garter-stitch ...more
Lindsey
Apr 07, 2009 Lindsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I've looked through and read a good part of this book already and it's gorgeous and inspirational. I think it will serve as motivation to get out and think about sock design and maybe even design my own socks. Someday. I loved how all of the patterns were titled after the people she most loves in her life and I loved reading the little blurbs about how the socks reflect their personalities.

I was kind of irritated by how similar angee and wanida were and then the fact that they were right next
Anna
Apr 22, 2014 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that I return to over and over again. Not only are the patterns beautiful and well written, but the discussion of sock design is enormously helpful.
Tina
Mar 31, 2010 Tina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, craft-books
As a really new sock knitter (I mean really new, as in I haven't even finished my first sock yet), I found this book to be chucked full of great information about socks. Cookie A went over sock construction, stitch patterns, sock design, and altering sock patterns to fit your foot. Some of the information in the book was over my head; especially the part on adjusting cable patterns for flat knitting and for rectangular knitting. However, once my skill level has increased I'm sure I'll be coming ...more
Donna
Apr 08, 2009 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any experienced sock knitter
Shelves: crafts, 2009
Wow, what a great sock book. This was widely anticipated in the sock knitting world and it doesn't disappoint. The information about sock design at the beginning of the book is interesting and useful, although I got a bit confused about the deconstructing of stitches part and the travelling stitches in the charts. I'll have to read it again and concentrate.
The patterns are amazing, but some of the charts are quite daunting, and it would take quite a while to make some of the socks featured here,
Maetta
Sep 06, 2015 Maetta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knit-crochet
What can I say. Cookie A. is simply amazing! All her patterns are easy to read etc.
Sarah Smith
Mar 09, 2014 Sarah Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't made anything from this book yet but the patterns look beautiful.
ContraryMe
Meh.
I keep poking through but only one pattern intrigues me ....
Stephanie Stagner
As one who is interested in design, this book is a must own!
Erin Germain
Cookie has been a favorite designer of mine for a while, and this book gives a glimpse into how she comes up with her amazing designs. It breaks down the creation of socks, from cuff to toe, gives tips on making charts or designs work in the round, and provides a blueprint on how to create your own unique designs. Then, to top it off, she offers a number of patterns, all building on the steps detailed in the first half of the book.

A definite must for anyone who enjoys knitting socks.
Jun 15, 2010 Jennifer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am the only one who hates this book. Let's not mistake: I love the patterns. My problem is that everything is CHARTED! I can't knit by a chart if you paid me a million by the second! I need a hard and fast line by line WRITTEN PATTERN. Forgive me, but I am not an advanced knitter, but am looking to get into sock knitting but need patterns, NOT charts. Maybe someday I can take a class and learn all this chart nonsense, but for now, please, just give me the patterns to these beautiful socks!
Polly
Feb 21, 2013 Polly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knitting
I am in love with this book and never want to return it to the library. At first I thought it was a book with sock patterns, but then I quickly discovered this is a book on how to design your own sock patterns (with some beautiful examples of the author's). Great tips for resizing as well! I can't wait to actually work on a pair.

(Afterthought: I do wish that she included just one plain, basic sock as a starting point.)
Scilla
Dec 12, 2009 Scilla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like to knit socks, this is a great book. It discusses how to design your own socks. There are directions for many knitting techniques, with pictures. It discusses how to make a pattern which is the mirror image on both sides and how to adjust the size of the socks to make them fit. The patterns included are mostly nonsymmetric, and strange, but the how to parts are very extensive and clearly written.
Thea O'Grady
Jun 18, 2009 Thea O'Grady rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knitting
I really love Cookie's sock patterns and her Monkey socks are a joy to knit. The book arrived yesterday and after reading a few chapters, I can see why she wrote this book. It is like having a conversation with her and why/how she designs. Very interesting. While I probably won't choose to redesign her patterns, it is inspiring nonethesless to start knitting one of her newest patterns...NOW!
Theresa
May 23, 2010 Theresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knitting
All cuff down but very, very pretty socks. A little intimidating because all involve charted patterns with no written instructions (for those like me who have issues reading charts correctly). Chapters on sock design and technique which were interesting. I think I may come back to this one after I am more comfortable on the basics of sock knitting.
Andrea Mules
Aug 09, 2009 Andrea Mules rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knitting
Gorgeous layout and great pictures. Cookie's patterns are lovely in this collection and I can't wait to start knitting some of them. The into section which discusses the layout of a sock and different toes and heels is well written. All in all, love this book and think it's a great addition to a knitter's library.
Jan
Jul 23, 2010 Jan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are a sock knitter you are probably already familar with Cookie A, the designer of devine socks. Now she has a book and it is a must have. I have enjoyed her designs on Ravelry for a while now so this book is a dream come true. I have borrowed it from the library but it is definitely on my list to buy.
Jamie
Jul 29, 2012 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: knitters, budding designers
Fantastic book by an amazing designer. I love that Cookie goes into her design process and explains it in a way that empowers her readers to set off on their own sock design adventure.

Sadly my book has pages of errata that I had to download.... I hope that was fixed for the 2nd run buyers.
Cayenne
Apr 13, 2009 Cayenne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best sock knitting book yet, in my opinion. I love that it has directions for after though heels, short row heels, and includes mention of magic loop knitting, which is my favorite way to knit socks. Plus, more of Cookie A's awesome patterns.
Oct 24, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous sock knitting patterns that range in difficulty but are all amazingly beautiful! There are all sorts of patterns for the discerning knitter. Cookie A also takes the time to teach the reader how they can design their own beautiful socks.
Lil' Grogan
Apr 02, 2012 Lil' Grogan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: handmade
Good for those wanting to design their own socks (focusing on stitch design not construction), also good info on basic stitch pattern modification. Socks tend to be pretty, many not suitable for the kind of wear I would put them through.
Ashley
Sep 20, 2010 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knitting
I've never actually knit a Cookie A pattern (I've started a pair of Monkeys, but it's not working with the yarn, so they will be frogged), but her patterns are beautiful, clearly-written, and very nicely photographed.
Alicia
May 10, 2012 Alicia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, knitting
One of my favorite knitting books. The patterns are written very clearly, the photos are crisp, and the beginning section on designing your own sock patterns is fantastic. I would highly recommend.
Laura Jean
May 02, 2009 Laura Jean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haven't had a chance to sit down and read this book yet--I've just paged through it. But I know it's worth 5 stars. I've never met a Cookie A pattern that I don't love. Thrilled she has a book!
Eva
Jul 12, 2010 Eva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: craft
Wow. Giving us a great insight into the mind of a designer, Cookie A describes how she designs socks. Her patterns are amazing.

I'm putting this book on my Birthday/Christmas wish list.
  • Socks from the Toe Up: Essential Techniques and Patterns from Wendy Knits
  • Victorian Lace Today
  • A Gathering of Lace
  • A Treasury of Knitting Patterns
  • The Opinionated Knitter
  • Mason-Dixon Knitting Outside the Lines: Patterns, Stories, Pictures, True Confessions, Tricky Bits, Whole New Worlds, and Familiar Ones, Too
  • The Knitter's Book of Socks: The Yarn Lover's Ultimate Guide to Creating Socks That Fit Well, Feel Great, and Last a Lifetime
  • Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarn
  • The Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook: Dyeing, Painting, Spinning, Designing, Knitting
  • Knitting Rules!: The Yarn Harlot Unravels the Mysteries of Swatching, Stashing, Ribbing & Rolling to Free Your Inner Knitter