Promise Bridge

Promise Bridge

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  41 reviews
A powerful debut novel of friendship, love, and family set in the segregated pre-Civil War South.
""This is a promise bridge, and it bridges a promise flowing from your heart to mine. It can't never be broken...the promise is part of you now, understand." "
Thus begins an unlikely friendship between Hannelore Blessing, a plantation mistress, and a slave girl named Livie....more
Published July 6th 2010 by New American Library (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Promise Bridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Promise Bridge

Susan
This is one of those novels that you can't stop reading because you want to see what happens next, but you are sorry when you finish because you miss the characters and want to read more about them.

Beautifully and skillfully researched and written, Promise Bridge tells an often untold story of the beginnings of the Underground railroad. The author shows us the courage of the black and white heroes who helped slaves escape from an often unbelievable, awful existence. The characters are well deve...more
Debbie
"Promise Bridge" is a historical set in the pre-Civil War South, but it also has some romance and suspense. The world-building was excellent, with the details of the setting and historical social and everyday details bringing the story alive in my imagination without slowing the pace. I think the author did an excellent job portraying both the good and the bad of the pre-Civil War American South (and North) without that ever seeming like it was the point of the story. It was the backdrop.

The cha...more
Bikki
Rita
I enjoyed this book if you can say that about something as horrible as slavery. The storyline pulled me in immediately and the plot moved forward at a good pace. Livvie and Hannahlore will stay with me for a long time and, of course, Colt is every woman's knight in shining armor. I've taught my students about the Underground Railroad for many years but this book, though fiction, caused me to think about it in terms of the lives of the people who were part of it in a much more powerful and moving...more
Mbmc114
This was a very entertaining book. Good character development. It allowed the reader to empathize with the plight of the main character, as well as those she cared about. The writing seemed authentic to the era- I could hear the southern accents of the characters. Not the most complex storyline, but since complexity does not necessarily equate to good, this does not negatively impact the rating. A chapter near the end was a bit terse, in comparison to the level of detail through the rest of the...more
Julie
This is a fantastic book about love, trust and friendship that build a bridge to brake racial boundaries and make it possible to understand each other.
Brianna Mulligan
I should have known this was not going to be a challenging book, from the cliche title to the over-drawn cover. However, it has been a long time since I read a book on slavery, so I thought it looked promising. Entertaining but disappointinly written, Schwab tends to fall into the "tell not show" category of writers. Definitely a good read for audiences who do not want to be challenged or are in the younger audience sect. The plot, however, was entertaining, as there is a final twist that left m...more
Anna Murdock
I liked it, pretty predictable, but a good story
Sherry
I thought the plot was well developed, but there was something about the language that bothered me. It was too flowery and preachy. It may have been the language of the period, but I doubt that is the case. I am wondering why this book is not in my public library, yet it has many five star reviews. Is the target young adult? This read like a book that was always a paperback.
I read the book as it was the July selection for my book group and it is not one I would have picked on my own.
Jenny
Set in the period just before the Civil War. Deals with slavery. Livie is a slave and becomes friends with Hannah, a white woman whose family members are slaveholders/plantation owners. Things aren't always quite what they seem. And friendship changes both of these women, helping them become more compassionate, courageous and full of integrity. Well drawn characters and this really pulled me in emotionally as well.
Susan Bender
This is a beautiful story of unending friendship, trust and honor between two strong women. Loved every minute of it. Describing parts of the book would lead to spoilers, which I myself do not like, but Ms. Schwab's writing style is a pleasure. Her story flows seamlessly and writing in the first person truly added depth to the main character. I'm looking forward to her next book.
Sandybear76
A niece of a plantation lady, Hannah finds Livie, a runaway on the mountain and takes care of her till LIvie's brother can come back for her. Many changes occur over the year or so of the book. A friendship between Hannah and Livie grows. Several surprises in the end. Very good storytelling. I had to stay up till I finished it.
Maryann McFadden
I had the pleasure of reading a galley to give a quote for this debut novel and I have to say, I think this book will become a classic. Gorgeous writing, wonderful characters, and a page turning plot about a young woman's coming of age just prior to the Civil War. It debuts July 7 and I predict great things.
Marsha
In her debut novel,Eileen Schwab has done a lot of research to show us the insights and horrors of slavery back in the Pre-Civil War era. The story is about a forbidden friendship between a young plantation lady and a runaway slave girl. I enjoyed the book,but found it a little simple and predictable.
Vicki
This was a book club selection. Could a friendship like this really happen in that time period and situation? Maybe. Still, the story was intense, a thriller and quite good. I found a oneness with the characters as I read this book, so much so, that I bought another of Schwab's books.
Jean
This book was OK...If was a selection of my local book club; I would not have chosen it myself. The story of the underground railroad is not a new story, and I didnt think the characters built around it were interesting enough. I would rather have read a 'true' account on this subject.
Gayle
I loved this book and had a hard time putting it down. It takes place in the South near the border of VA and PA...just prior to the civil war. It's about a friendship between a plantation young lady and a runaway slave girl and how they both reached freedom. Very good read!
Cristina
This historical novel explores the underground railroad and takes an interesting look at one runaway slave in particular. It had some interesting plot twists but I thought the dialogue was very cheesy in many places. And the protagonist, Hannah was very dense.
Erin Butera
Loved it! Some great characters and a little bit of history and insight into the lives/workings/struggles of all kinds of people in the pre-civil war south. I look forward to and hope to read another book by Eileen Clymer Schwab!
Mitzy Zahm
I enjoyed this book and give it a positive rating. I found it to be very simple and predictable, however. Not any epic novel, just a nice story about a subject that has been written and re-written many times.
Christine
Entertaining but the characters needed more development. I got awfully tired hearing about Livie and Hannah giggling. The story was enjoyable and had potential, but I just don't think the author is terribly talented.
Cathy
Nice story; enjoyed this very much. Reminded me a little of "The Kitchen House"- it's about relationships between white plantation owners and their slaves, and much more. I would recommend this!
Janice Crespo
This book will take you into the heart and soul of the trails and tribulations around the pre-Civil War period. The insights will make you keep reading until the end. Definitely a must read book!
Rachel
I wish I could give 3.5 stars! The writing was only decent, but I did find myself rooting for the characters. Even though some things were predictable, other things were a total surprise.
Karen
Couldn't put it down, if you like southern history,slave history you will love this book. I have added Ms. Schwab to my favorite authors list and look forward to her next book.
Joyce
A book I couldn't put down! If I have anything negative to say about it, the ending could have had a little more punch. If you like Civil War stories, you'll enjoy this one!
Amy
I really liked this book. It was a lovely story of friendship and self-discovery. It is about the underground railroad and does a great job of portraying the time period.
Patti
characters were strong and visual - in fact the whole story was visual - could see it playing in my head as I read the book - well written - and well done! Recommended!
Tysheena
This novel was beautifully written, inspiring, touching, romantic and informative.
Congrats to Eileen on an excellent debut novel!
Annette Meier
Had me crying, laughing and aghast all throughout. Amazing things to ponder that this was truly part of our American heritage.
  • The Body of Jonah Boyd
  • Devil's Dream: A Novel About Nathan Bedford Forrest
  • Your Sad Eyes And Unforgettable Mouth
  • The Marrowbone Marble Company
  • Fortunate Harbor (Happiness Key Series, #2)
  • Sahm I Am
  • Two Trains Running
  • The Sonderberg Case
  • The Street Philosopher
  • Gratitude
  • The Incumbent (Madison Glenn #1)
  • The Sweetgum Ladies Knit for Love (Sweetgum Knit #2)
  • The Life You've Imagined
  • Siege Of Heaven
  • Etta
  • Devil's Garden
  • Northfield
  • Gods Go Begging
Eileen Clymer Schwab graduated from Rutgers University with a BA in Communication. She resides with her family in northeast Pennsylvania. Her second novel, Shadow of a Quarter Moon, will be released by NAL/Penguin in 2011. Over the years, Eileen's passion for writing has been channeled through occasional newspaper or magazine articles as she balanced a job and raising four children. With the encou...more
More about Eileen Clymer Schwab...
Shadow of a Quarter Moon