Start by marking “Farmhouse Cookbook” as Want to Read:
Farmhouse Cookbook

Farmhouse Cookbook

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Nothing evokes comfort, warmth, and mouth-watering hospitality like the dishes prepared by people who actually grow the food. From Susan Herrmann Loomis, author of The French Farmhouse Cookbook, The Italian Farmhouse Cookbook, The Great American Seafood Cookbook, and Clambakes & Fish Fries, Farmhouse Cookbook is the result of a 20,000-mile trek across rural America in ...more
Published January 10th 1991 by Workman Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Farmhouse Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Farmhouse Cookbook

Terina
I have a lot of cookbooks and this is one of my favorites! I've used it as a cookbook, but just finished reading it as a book. The anecdotes are so alive. You want to put the book down and either start cooking or plan your vacation (or move) to the French countryside. The author really makes you appreciate the simplicity of good cooking and fresh ingredients.
Michele
Jan 25, 2009 Michele rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Home cooks trying to recreate authentic French recipes
Recommended to Michele by: Susan hermann Loomis
I met Susan Hermann Loomis when I attended her cooking school, On Rue Tatin, outside of Paris in the spring of 2007, and that's where I purchased her cookbook. And while it is over a decade old, it's still available from some retailers and is astonishingly relevant in 2008. Susan was on a mission to meet local farmers and purchase only the freshest local ingredients from farmers she knew and trusted to create authentic French recipes long before you heard about CSAs or grass fed beef here in Col ...more
Shanna
Nov 15, 2007 Shanna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
She travelled 30,000 miles to talk to people from across the country. Somehow there are no tasty treats from KY? WHAT?
Otherwise, chock-full of surprisingly innovative and at times healthy recipes from all around the US. I have at least 50 dog-eared. A lot of great profiles of organic farmers and informative essays on biodynamic practices years before it was trendy to do so. Also, many recipes are often accompanied by tasty wine and beer recommendations.
A few pictures would be nice, but that's m
Rita
Try the gougeres. Or the bread. Or anything.
Linda
A longtime fan of Susan Herrmann Loomis, I was pleased to search out and finally find French Farmhouse Cookbook. Her cookbooks give you not only a recipe but a story to go with it - what a marvelous introduction to another culture. If you can't be in France this is a good alternative.

Actually, Terina's review is much better and mirrors exactly what I would have said if I would have had the wherewithal.
Catherine Woodman
The best apple crisp ever--I freeze what I don't use in making it and this past week found a bag of it, age unknown, in the freezer and popped what fruit I had going funky in my fruit drawer into a gratin pan, and put the topping on--viola, a delicious dessert. I was a hero, and was reminded again of the importance of having gold standards in your cooking repertoire that you can count on.
Catherine Woodman
I love love love to read this--the range of recipes--making jam with rose petals, making your own liquers, and the array of tarts give a real feel for French food in any town you would travel to
Cheryl Schibley
Now - very difficult cookbook to obtain, since it is out of print. I hope they run a new edition. Susan is great -her writing is witty and thoughtful. Her recipes are flawless.
Cheryl Schibley
Mar 15, 2010 Cheryl Schibley rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who cooks
Susan Loomis does a lot of research for her books. This great book is worth having on your shelve if you're a cook, especially a simple country food cook.
Catherine Woodman
I had to replace this when I lost it because it has the best apple crisp ever, and I could not reproduce it without the cookbook
Katherine
Its very bad for you, but I've loved this cookbook for years. Its worn and stained with pumpkin pureé
Janie
the rhubarb crunch recipe is the bomb
Andreea
Andreea marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Tahmina
Tahmina marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Julie
Julie added it
Saad44440
Saad44440 marked it as to-read
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Morena Cuadra
Morena Cuadra marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Susan Decker
Susan Decker marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Evelin Saar
Evelin Saar marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Annette
Annette marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Francis
Francis marked it as to-read
Tracy
Tracy added it
Brilliant Lee
Brilliant Lee marked it as to-read
hyacinth foster
hyacinth foster marked it as to-read
Eryn
Eryn marked it as to-read
Patricia Burgess-fisher
Patricia Burgess-fisher marked it as to-read
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Simple French Food
  • The Cooking of Southwest France: Recipes from France's Magnificient Rustic Cuisine
  • The Splendid Table
  • Bistro Cooking
  • French Food at Home
  • Vineyard Seasons: More from the Heart of the Home
  • Classic Indian Cooking
  • Sunday Suppers at Lucques: Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table
  • Splendid Soups: Recipes and Master Techniques for Making the World's Best Soups
  • Fannie Farmer Baking Book
  • How to Bake: Complete Guide to Perfect Cakes, Cookies, Pies, Tarts, Breads, Pizzas, Muffins,
  • The Greens Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine from the Celebrated Restaurant
  • Vegetables Every Day: The Definitive Guide to Buying and Cooking Today's Produce, with Over 350 Recipes
  • Twelve Months of Monastery Soups: International Favorites
  • Chocolate and Zucchini: Daily Adventures in a Parisian Kitchen
  • The Art of Mexican Cooking
  • Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Two
  • The Classic Italian Cook Book: The Art of Italian Cooking and the Italian Art of Eating
On Rue Tatin: Living and Cooking in a French Town Tarte Tatin: More of La Belle Vie on Rue Tatin Cooking at Home on Rue Tatin On Rue Tatin Italian Farmhouse Cookbook