Start by marking “Farmhouse Cookbook” as Want to Read:
Farmhouse Cookbook

Farmhouse Cookbook

Nothing evokes comfort, warmth, and mouth-watering hospitality like the dishes prepared by people who actually grow the food. From Susan Herrmann Loomis, author of The French Farmhouse Cookbook, The Italian Farmhouse Cookbook, The Great American Seafood Cookbook, and Clambakes & Fish Fries, Farmhouse Cookbook is the result of a 20,000-mile trek across rural America in ...more
Published January 10th 1991 by Workman Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Farmhouse Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Farmhouse Cookbook

Terina
Feb 20, 2008 Terina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a lot of cookbooks and this is one of my favorites! I've used it as a cookbook, but just finished reading it as a book. The anecdotes are so alive. You want to put the book down and either start cooking or plan your vacation (or move) to the French countryside. The author really makes you appreciate the simplicity of good cooking and fresh ingredients.
Michele
Jan 25, 2009 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Home cooks trying to recreate authentic French recipes
Recommended to Michele by: Susan hermann Loomis
I met Susan Hermann Loomis when I attended her cooking school, On Rue Tatin, outside of Paris in the spring of 2007, and that's where I purchased her cookbook. And while it is over a decade old, it's still available from some retailers and is astonishingly relevant in 2008. Susan was on a mission to meet local farmers and purchase only the freshest local ingredients from farmers she knew and trusted to create authentic French recipes long before you heard about CSAs or grass fed beef here in Col ...more
Shanna
Nov 15, 2007 Shanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
She travelled 30,000 miles to talk to people from across the country. Somehow there are no tasty treats from KY? WHAT?
Otherwise, chock-full of surprisingly innovative and at times healthy recipes from all around the US. I have at least 50 dog-eared. A lot of great profiles of organic farmers and informative essays on biodynamic practices years before it was trendy to do so. Also, many recipes are often accompanied by tasty wine and beer recommendations.
A few pictures would be nice, but that's m
Linda
Jul 26, 2008 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A longtime fan of Susan Herrmann Loomis, I was pleased to search out and finally find French Farmhouse Cookbook. Her cookbooks give you not only a recipe but a story to go with it - what a marvelous introduction to another culture. If you can't be in France this is a good alternative.

Actually, Terina's review is much better and mirrors exactly what I would have said if I would have had the wherewithal.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best apple crisp ever--I freeze what I don't use in making it and this past week found a bag of it, age unknown, in the freezer and popped what fruit I had going funky in my fruit drawer into a gratin pan, and put the topping on--viola, a delicious dessert. I was a hero, and was reminded again of the importance of having gold standards in your cooking repertoire that you can count on.
Nicole
Feb 02, 2015 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The stories in this alone would be worth reading, and the recipes are excellent too. I did not get to try very many yet, but all worked well and were delicious. So now it has to go back to the library, I guess it will have to go on my wish list!
Joanne Gass
Jan 18, 2015 Joanne Gass rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Rancho Gordo's newsletter recommendation for this cookbook, I ordered a used copy, and I read every page. Loomis' descriptions of French farmhouse cooking and farming are mesmerizing. Makes me want to cook!
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it liked it
I had to replace this when I lost it because it has the best apple crisp ever, and I could not reproduce it without the cookbook
Catherine Woodman
I love love love to read this--the range of recipes--making jam with rose petals, making your own liquers, and the array of tarts give a real feel for French food in any town you would travel to
Katherine
May 28, 2008 Katherine rated it it was amazing
Its very bad for you, but I've loved this cookbook for years. Its worn and stained with pumpkin pureé
Janie
Jul 14, 2011 Janie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the rhubarb crunch recipe is the bomb
Cheryl Schibley
Mar 15, 2010 Cheryl Schibley rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who cooks
Susan Loomis does a lot of research for her books. This great book is worth having on your shelve if you're a cook, especially a simple country food cook.
Cheryl Schibley
Now - very difficult cookbook to obtain, since it is out of print. I hope they run a new edition. Susan is great -her writing is witty and thoughtful. Her recipes are flawless.
Margaret Dee
Her memoirs were more interesting than the cookbook
Rose Ann
Rose Ann rated it it was ok
Aug 10, 2012
Maryanne Lyons
Maryanne Lyons rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2012
Lori
Lori rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2011
Kathy E
Kathy E rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2016
Liberty Montano
Liberty Montano rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2008
Claire
Claire rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2008
Allison
Allison rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Sattva
Sattva rated it did not like it
Apr 08, 2015
Madeline
Madeline rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2014
Stacey King
Stacey King rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2009
Jennifer Burghardt
Jennifer Burghardt rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2013
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2012
Joory.shah
Joory.shah rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2014
C2almost3
C2almost3 rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2017
Dawn DuBois
Dawn DuBois rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2016
Cara
Cara rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2010
  • Twelve Months of Monastery Soups: International Favorites
  • French Food at Home
  • Vineyard Seasons: More from the Heart of the Home
  • Monet's Table: The Cooking Journals of Claude Monet
  • The Greens Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine from the Celebrated Restaurant
  • Vegetables Every Day: The Definitive Guide to Buying and Cooking Today's Produce With More Than 350 Recipes
  • The America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook
  • The Taste of Country Cooking
  • How to Bake: Complete Guide to Perfect Cakes, Cookies, Pies, Tarts, Breads, Pizzas, Muffins,
  • The French Chef Cookbook
  • Sweet Cream and Sugar Cones: 90 Recipes for Making Your Own Ice Cream and Frozen Treats from Bi-Rite Creamery
  • Italian Food