Start by marking “The Signet Classic Book of Mark Twain's Short Stories” as Want to Read:
The Signet Classic Book of Mark Twain's Short Stories

The Signet Classic Book of Mark Twain's Short Stories

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  107 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
The humorous story is strictly a work of art-high and delicate-and only an artist can tell it.-Mark Twain, How to Tell a Story For nearly two decades before Mark Twain published his finest novel, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, he was refining his craft and winning tremendous popularity with his short stories and sketches. This richly entertaining and comprehensive collect ...more
Published May 2nd 2006 by Signet Classics (first published June 28th 1980)

Be the first to ask a question about The Signet Classic Book of Mark Twain's Short Stories

Well-steered
What I liked about it: Much like myself, Twain was a natural skeptic with a sense of humour so dry it cracked in several places (cynical people might call us 'sarcastic'), and that comes out in his stories. It's also pretty clear that he was disgusted by the morality tales of his day, in which good little children are rewarded by the universe and bad little children are punished, as evidenced by 'The Story of the Bad Little Boy' and 'The Story of the Good Little Boy' in which the opposite happen ...more
David Allen
Oct 09, 2011 David Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the short story wasn't Twain's metier, these sketches, fables, tall tales and sentimental fiction won't make anyone forget Poe and Hawthorne. Yet Twain was a born storyteller. "The Invalid's Story," about a man in a train's baggage car who mistakes a shipment of Limburger cheese for a rotting corpse, is a jaw-dropper. So is the scathing "The Man Who Corrupted Hadleyburg," which takes aim at human folly and scores a bull's-eye.
Aj
May 11, 2009 Aj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who needs a good laugh
Full of humor and wisdom. I don't know how to begin with this book. Halfway done. I used to read a story a night, and during that time the whole world was full of irony and humor. They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away, well I say a dose of Twain a day keeps the therapist away. Hoho.
Apr 23, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes Mark Twain
I always loved Huckelberry Finn and Tom Sawyer, and Life on the Mississippi, I never knew he wrote other books. I loved reading these books from one of my favorite authors. There is a humorous side to them that will keep you laughing and unable to put it down.
Janice
Oct 19, 2011 Janice rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There needs to be a category for "partially read." I didn't make it through all these stories. Many were enjoyable, but apparently I need a unifying plot to keep me reading.
Caroline
Sep 18, 2007 Caroline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i love the stories about Adam and Eve at Niagra Falls, and the one about the bullfrog jumping contest.
Adam
Aug 20, 2012 Adam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had a dictionary at my side the whole time I was reading this, but it was worth it.
Beth
Sep 13, 2010 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious and dark at the same time. "Jim Baker's Bluejay Yarn" was probably my favorite.
Scott Gill
Jan 14, 2013 Scott Gill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: twain-reading
What can I say? It's Twain and absolutely hilarious at times.
Dec 06, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super great. Twain is a treasure.
Tawnni
Mar 27, 2013 Tawnni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
four and a half
Mary Tuley
Aug 09, 2007 Mary Tuley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody.
Perfect!
Senthilkumar
Senthilkumar marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Justin
Justin rated it really liked it
May 17, 2016
Joseph
Joseph is currently reading it
May 14, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Sierra Martin
Sierra Martin marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Michael Laney
Michael Laney marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Susan Howe
Susan Howe marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
David Roark
David Roark is currently reading it
Apr 17, 2016
Sammi
Sammi marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Aradhya Dhungel
Aradhya Dhungel marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Marija
Marija rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Vesper
Vesper rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2016
Randy
Randy marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Tales of Natural and Unnatural Catastrophes
  • Stories by O. Henry (Walmart)
  • The Perfect Fool
  • The Tasmanian Babes Fiasco
  • The Bodysurfers
  • The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin
  • Essential Dickinson
  • Moments of Reprieve (Penguin Modern Classics)
  • Early Short Stories, 1883-1888 (Modern Library)
  • The Fat Man in History
  • The Brief And Frightening Reign Of Phil: (Includes The 'In Persuasion Nation' Collection)
  • The Phoenix on the Sword
  • The Piazza Tales
  • WLT: A Radio Romance
  • Things Snowball
  • Hobomok & Other Writings on Indians by Lydia Maria Child
  • An Inhabitant of Carcosa
  • Thurber Country
Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known by his pen name Mark Twain, was an American author and humorist. He is noted for his novels Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1885), called "the Great American Novel", and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876).

Twain grew up in Hannibal, Missouri, which would later provide the setting for Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. He apprenticed with a printer. He also work
More about Mark Twain...

“I haven't a particle of confidence in a man who has no redeeming petty vices whatsoever.” 17 likes
“Then the cow asked:
"What is a mirror?"
"It is a hole in the wall," said the cat. "You look in it, and there you see the picture, and it is so dainty and charming and ethereal and inspiring in its unimaginable beauty that your head turns round and round, and you almost swoon with ecstasy.”
8 likes