Century

Century

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Unlike any other book you may encounter, the sheer physical presence of "Century" is unique. With 1,120 pages and 1,072 images, this monster volume offers an informative, nostalgic, intimate and monumental insight into the last 100 years."Century" is a history of the twentieth century told in photographs. More than any other, the last century was one of unforeseeable advan...more
Published September 23rd 1999 by Phaidon Press (first published January 1st 1999)

Paul
This enormous beast of a book, 1,117 pages long, consists of photos of everything that happened between the years 1899 and 1999 – a slight exaggeration, but it sure seems so. Each year is allotted between ten and twenty photos, and although I can’t claim total accuracy here, by my reckoning 78% of all these photos depict human misery in one form or another.

Leafing through this vast book, easily the heaviest out of the thousand or so I have in my possession, I tremble at the accumulation of the c...more
Jeannie
This book tells an amazing story all through photographs. It shows a lot of darkness, such as war and misery yet when you take it all in; you realize what our country has been through. It brought back memories of my education, and even events that I've lived through but put a new spin on them. It goes without saying that impact photo images have on people, communities and the world.
Amazing huge book that weighs a lot!
carl  theaker
Sep 19, 2010 carl theaker rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to carl by: Loping Buzzard
Shelves: artsy, history
Fantastic photo essay of the 20th century. I've got the compact version, it's
like carrying a brick, 1200+ pages. I saw the full size version at a friend's
house, gigantic.

Photos are divided into 7 eras, each photo has a cap, and there is a short
paragraph on each at the end of the chapter.

As you'd expect many pics show historical figures or events you're familiar with
which I liked, but extra interesting are the pics of things that were important
at the time, but that the world has long forgotten a...more
Tsering yangzom
This book hurts.I gifted this book to my sister.Firstly it cost me a bundle and secondly i had a tough time carrying it and travelling with it because i wouldnt have it couried.Can you believe how expensive it would have been.But i nearly broke my back and arms for it.
This book is staggering.Every picture and information has further reference.It would then take forever to finish.
Carl McGee
What can you say about a book that is four inches thick, 1120 pages long, and basically photographs? One word.....Great!!!

Each photo has an explanatory statement. The 20th century really comes alive. Certainly not "light" reading. (Pun intended). Totally enjoyable.
John
CENTURY is a 1112 page book with the most gripping images of the last century with about three pages of more detailed writing about each image after every 100-200 pictures.
I think it has acheived everything the author had intended it to.
Rob
Feb 08, 2008 Rob marked it as on-hold
thickest book ever. 15 pounds. 1000 amazing photographs, each with a pithy caption and a few sentences of historical background. i look at it when i go to the library.
Marcus K
1,120 pages of photos, all in something that weighs a good 30 lbs. I would never buy it new, but was worth the 30 bucks I paid at Moe's.
Sobia Wasi
awesome photos...one look & it can transfer u back in those centuries...
Nafiza
This is kinda depressing.
Tegan
Tegan marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Brian
Brian added it
Feb 10, 2014
Otlet
Otlet marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Photo Eclectic
Photo Eclectic marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Rick
Rick marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Class of 2015: Century 2 3 Mar 26, 2014 09:38PM
Vincent by Himself Freud at Work: Lucian Freud in Conversation with Sebastian Smee Eyewitness Art: Van Gogh Van Gogh BIBLE AND ITS PAINTERS, THE