Start by marking “Century” as Want to Read:
Century

Century

A visual history of the 20th century, the photographs in this volume cover events which range from the hard history of politics to new inventions, the arts, society and fashion. The images have been drawn from international agencies such as Life, Magnum, Picture Post and Stern.
Published September 23rd 1999 by Phaidon Press (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Century, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Century

Paul Bryant
May 29, 2011 Paul Bryant rated it it was amazing
This enormous beast of a book, 1,117 pages long, consists of photos of everything that happened between the years 1899 and 1999 – a slight exaggeration, but it sure seems so. Each year is allotted between ten and twenty photos, and although I can’t claim total accuracy here, by my reckoning 78% of all these photos depict human misery in one form or another.

Leafing through this vast book, easily the heaviest out of the thousand or so I have in my possession, I tremble at the accumulation of the c
Don ツ
Some say a picture worth a thousand words. This is a great book, a book truer than the event itself.

All I can say is this book is full of war...war...war...
From the world war I until world war II and continues afterwards, Bosnian civil war, the cold war, ...
History never fail to repeat itself.

You'll be amazed to see all the historical pictures from all over the world mostly of from the previous century . 1899 until 1999. Cool facts that is unknown to others. Like Fidelio was the only opera Beet
carl  theaker
Sep 19, 2010 carl theaker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to carl by: Loping Buzzard
Shelves: history, artsy
Fantastic photo essay of the 20th century. I've got the compact version, it's
like carrying a brick, 1200+ pages. I saw the full size version at a friend's
house, gigantic.

Photos are divided into 7 eras, each photo has a cap, and there is a short
paragraph on each at the end of the chapter.

As you'd expect many pics show historical figures or events you're familiar with
which I liked, but extra interesting are the pics of things that were important
at the time, but that the world has long forgotten a
Jeannie
Mar 23, 2014 Jeannie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book tells an amazing story all through photographs. It shows a lot of darkness, such as war and misery yet when you take it all in; you realize what our country has been through. It brought back memories of my education, and even events that I've lived through but put a new spin on them. It goes without saying that impact photo images have on people, communities and the world.
Amazing huge book that weighs a lot!
Tsering yangzom
Jun 17, 2008 Tsering yangzom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book hurts.I gifted this book to my sister.Firstly it cost me a bundle and secondly i had a tough time carrying it and travelling with it because i wouldnt have it couried.Can you believe how expensive it would have been.But i nearly broke my back and arms for it.
This book is staggering.Every picture and information has further reference.It would then take forever to finish.
John
May 28, 2010 John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 3rd-term
CENTURY is a 1112 page book with the most gripping images of the last century with about three pages of more detailed writing about each image after every 100-200 pictures.
I think it has acheived everything the author had intended it to.
R. David
Jul 28, 2015 R. David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting read. Photos are not the "usual" often published ones of world events. Historical notes were interesting. A lot of the captions were slanted hard to the left by the left wing writers.
Carl McGee
Jul 14, 2008 Carl McGee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
What can you say about a book that is four inches thick, 1120 pages long, and basically photographs? One word.....Great!!!

Each photo has an explanatory statement. The 20th century really comes alive. Certainly not "light" reading. (Pun intended). Totally enjoyable.
Marcus K
Jan 21, 2008 Marcus K rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1,120 pages of photos, all in something that weighs a good 30 lbs. I would never buy it new, but was worth the 30 bucks I paid at Moe's.
Rob
Jan 30, 2008 Rob marked it as on-hold
thickest book ever. 15 pounds. 1000 amazing photographs, each with a pithy caption and a few sentences of historical background. i look at it when i go to the library.
David Wonfor
David Wonfor rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2011
John
John rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2011
J. Renee
J. Renee rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2012
Michael Piafsky
Michael Piafsky rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2016
Gillik
Gillik rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2014
Vim
Vim rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2011
Charles Sweeney
Charles Sweeney rated it really liked it
May 28, 2014
Paul Ruta
Paul Ruta rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2012
Colin McCouig
Colin McCouig rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2015
Eliane
Eliane rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2009
Dana
Dana rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2009
Sam Hall
Sam Hall rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2009
Nathan
Nathan rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2015
Domagoj
Domagoj rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
Steve Draper
Steve Draper rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2015
YoSafBridg
YoSafBridg rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2008
Edd Rose
Edd Rose rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2011
Louis
Louis rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2013
jayna
jayna rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2015
  • Isaac's Torah
  • The Body: Photographs of the Human Form
  • Salvador Dalí: 1904–1989
  • The Lives of Lee Miller
  • America's Wilderness: The Photographs Of Ansel Adams With The Writings Of John Muir
  • 1920s (Decades of the 20th Century)
  • The Wildwood Tarot: Wherein Wisdom Resides